Anyone get their Steam Deck ordered?

Lucky guy... Still waiting hour 1 order.

I'm still waiting for my seventh-minute order.

If it makes you feel better, it took them two more minutes to process the sale?

I have no interest in a Steam Deck.. just wanted to say these things are obviously being scalped on Reddit for those first rounders that got their Deck's..:eek:

I have no interest in a Steam Deck.. just wanted to say these things are obviously being scalped on Reddit for those first rounders that got their Deck's..:eek:
Sigh... It's the times... Can't get anything nice at MSRP. Maybe in the future we can pre-order GPUs. 🤣

They're awesome devices, but anyone buying them scalped on Ebay is an idiot, especially since they'll likely sell through most of the orders put in on day one within the next 3 months. I love mine, and it has incredible utility, but I wouldn't have bought it if it were a couple of hundred dollars more for the same device. Maybe I'll write up a larger post with my thoughts on it.

Sigh... It's the times... Can't get anything nice at MSRP. Maybe in the future we can pre-order GPUs. 🤣

Yup.. this kind of BS right here.. i mean.. this is how much over "MSRP" ?

1650637696244.png

I suspect a year or two from now the Steam Deck will be a much better purchase anyway with software updates and community fixes adding a whole lot more value and usability to the device. I can't wait for smooth emulation I can pick up, take to a friend's house to hook up to the TV with mutiple controllers, let kids and parents play their favorite games with it, etc. All without hiccups.

Is that just a confirmation of your pre-order?
No this was the "hey you need to finalize your order within three days or lose your place". I got the email on Monday and I paid for that same day. My Steam Deck arrived 4 days later on Friday afternoon via FedEx. So far it seems pretty cool, haven't spent a ton of time with it yet, but my two boys have been playing it and enjoying it.

I suspect a year or two from now the Steam Deck will be a much better purchase anyway with software updates and community fixes adding a whole lot more value and usability to the device. I can't wait for smooth emulation I can pick up, take to a friend's house to hook up to the TV with mutiple controllers, let kids and parents play their favorite games with it, etc. All without hiccups.

I expect the Steam Deck II will be as big of a deal as the PS2 when it launched.

I expect the Steam Deck II will be as big of a deal as the PS2 when it launched.

I don't quite agree because it's likely within a few short years there will be a new iteration of the deck with better specs, screen, etc and plenty of people will upgrade. The PS2 had inredible longevity and I think the segment the Steam Deck is dominating will last a long time so I agree with you in a way. Overall as a handheld gaming PC I think just about everybody I know who knows the Steam Deck exists is excited about it for the same reasons.

I dunno, this has strong vibes of the original Playstation launch, only this time, *we're* Japan, and for whatever reason, foreign is getting priority shipments.

I can't wait for smooth emulation I can pick up, take to a friend's house to hook up to the TV with mutiple controllers, let kids and parents play their favorite games with it, etc. All without hiccups.
Been a dream of mine as well. A super portable media/gaming machine. All you need is a hdmi cable and you are good to go. In a few years you can add VR capability to the mix.

Been a dream of mine as well. A super portable media/gaming machine. All you need is a hdmi cable and you are good to go. In a few years you can add VR capability to the mix.
I can't wait to see how the community will find ways to swap harware to keep it lasting a long time.

I can't wait to see how the community will find ways to swap harware to keep it lasting a long time.

There is nothing much to swap in. Everything is onboard the motherboard and the motherboard is customized to the case. The only upgradable hardware is likely to be the ssd. Even simple things like the battery are customized to that case.

I definitely think that a second generation product will fix a lot of the issues they come up with and is probably a better buy, but we are also talking about valve which is one step ahead of Google in terms of canceling products. For all we know this might be the only generation.

There is nothing much to swap in. Everything is onboard the motherboard and the motherboard is customized to the case. The only upgradable hardware is likely to be the ssd. Even simple things like the battery are customized to that case.

I definitely think that a second generation product will fix a lot of the issues they come up with and is probably a better buy, but we are also talking about valve which is one step ahead of Google in terms of canceling products. For all we know this might be the only generation.
I read in a few places that Valve didn't anticipate how much consumers were willing to spend. I'm hoping a second generation would come with a higher refresh rate screen and some beefier hardware now that they (apparently) know consumers are wanting to spend more.

I read in a few places that Valve didn't anticipate how much consumers were willing to spend. I'm hoping a second generation would come with a higher refresh rate screen and some beefier hardware now that they (apparently) know consumers are wanting to spend more.
If we are lucky enough we will get some form of boutique build options beyond the SSD options.

Depending on how popular the Steam Deck ends up being, 3rd parties might find a way to offer upgrades/extras if Valve refuses. Like NB51 offered modern mobo/CPU for some older Lenovo Thinkpad laptops.

Personally, I'd like to see a 1080p FreeSync screen upgrade, and maybe replacing the ambient light sensor with a pinhole camera.

Suddenly steam doesn't show my order in my wishlist. I emailed support. I'll share the outcome.

Sigh..

Gah! Mine's gone too, and no more order confirmation on the website.

mine just shows "loading" on both the Steam client and web client.

It let me put it in my cart, but gives me a, "failure to initialize transaction", error message when I actually try to check out. It's is still in my cart right now. No email received telling me I am in my window. My expected purchase window as of yesterday is 3rd quarter. Prolly a glitch.

My reservation's back on the website. Still Q2.

I ordered at the seven minute mark.

I emailed support, my guess is they'll have to do a DB restore of some type to fix this. So maybe tomorrow.

If we are lucky enough we will get some form of boutique build options beyond the SSD options.
Already know a machinist near me that intends to remake the shell out of aluminum. If he succeeds I might have to hit him up.

Phew, mines back as well. I'll bet support got hit up hard for people that check daily.

Already know a machinist near me that intends to remake the shell out of aluminum. If he succeeds I might have to hit him up.

I really regret not getting an alloy shell for my Pandora. I thought it was expensive and weird, but honestly, if he can do volume, let it be known.

I just got my email letting me know I can order my 512 steam deck. I'm torn, I don't know if I'll use it that much. I'll order it and if I don't like it I'll sell it online.

I just got my email letting me know I can order my 512 steam deck. I'm torn, I don't know if I'll use it that much. I'll order it and if I don't like it I'll sell it online.
I'm at the same juncture. I've been waiting and wanted it all this time, but do I want it that badly?

This is truly a toy in the sense that I have almost zero practical use for it, because if I'm outside of the house then I'm not going to be playing videogames. My interest in it is purely from a technical perspective and seeing how it can play some older titles that I enjoy.

Does anyone know where they are shipping from?

Last edited:
I'm at the same juncture. I've been waiting and wanted it all this time, but do I want it that badly?

This is truly a toy in the sense that I have almost zero practical use for it, because if I'm outside of the house then I'm not going to be playing videogames. My interest in it is purely from a technical perspective and seeing how it can play some older titles that I enjoy.

Does anyone know where they are shipping from?
Mine shipped from Carol Stream Illinois.

If you just now ordered, you gonna be waiting a looooooooooooong time.

Unless you mean you already had the pre-order and it just let you get it shipped, in which case...fuck you, I have to wait forever. :(

If you just now ordered, you gonna be waiting a looooooooooooong time.
As in, placed my order for the 512GB because I'm up in the queue :D

Felt like forever ago when I placed my reservation. I probably could have gotten an earlier reservation but I was at work and uncertain about purchasing it. Having said that, I'm surprised how quickly my order got filled despite the production delay.

I'm starting to think that Valve is racist against minute seven orders.

I had to RMA my first 256GB Steam Deck I received 2 weeks ago. had a dead pixel in the middle of the screen.

Valve had me send it back and sent me a new one. No dead pixels. Kinda want to see the 512gb screen in person. My brother has one ordered but won't get it until next month.

I had to RMA my first 256GB Steam Deck I received 2 weeks ago. had a dead pixel in the middle of the screen.

Valve had me send it back and sent me a new one. No dead pixels. Kinda want to see the 512gb screen in person. My brother has one ordered but won't get it until next month.
Valve let you RMA for a single dead pixel? That's good to hear. Scanning the discussion forums, it does appear that the Steam Deck QC isn't great, specifically in regards to the hardware. I'm seeing other significant issues such as the Steam Deck improperly formatting SD cards and bricking them as a result. Other issues include sticky buttons, loose thumbsticks, weird noises, etc. The lesson is to keep your expectations low for the first deck and be happy if you don't have to send it back. The Steam Deck is an ambitious device for the scale it's being produced at so I'll give Valve a pass.

EDIT: Placed my order Thursday evening. It's Monday evening and still no shipping indications yet.

Last edited:
Valve let you RMA for a single dead pixel? That's good to hear. Scanning the discussion forums, it does appear that the Steam Deck QC isn't great, specifically in regards to the hardware. I'm seeing other significant issues such as the Steam Deck improperly formatting SD cards and bricking them as a result. Other issues include sticky buttons, loose thumbsticks, weird noises, etc. The lesson is to keep your expectations low for the first deck and be happy if you don't have to send it back. The Steam Deck is an ambitious device for the scale it's being produced at so I'll give Valve a pass.

EDIT: Placed my order Thursday evening. It's Monday evening and still no shipping indications yet.
Honestly I was surprised they let me RMA it but the process went smoothly. I'm sure the 2nd gen version will be much better, but this one isn't bad as long as you don't need to send it back. The fan on my new one seems to be louder but everything else seems fine. I'm just waiting for Valve to support dual boot so I can install windows for games that don't work on deck.

Sigh, day one, hour one, about 30 minutes after. Still waiting for my 256g email...

Back