Anyone ever order a retail 920 and get...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say,I love this site very much,but clearly something has happen between NewEgg and [H],and Kyle seems to be on a war footing with them and his followers are marching right behind him,and thats ok loyalty is a good thing.
Im loyal to NewEgg,they have been nothing but professional to me and my business therefore they have earned my business.
That being said,I also have respect for Kyle and this site and the people here,but id sure like to know why there is such a deep hatred for NewEgg...them saying it was a demo is not a good enough reason for me..

Seriously, I noticed the tone when the story was first posted and I was kind of shocked. I then noticed that Newegg was missing from the banners. Now I see that Newegg is being blamed for D&H's threat to sue.

I'm not entirely sure why, but I really feel like someone has an axe to grind here and that they aren't really trying to hide it.

I have to say,I love this site very much,but clearly something has happen between NewEgg and [H],and Kyle seems to be on a war footing with them and his followers are marching right behind him,and thats ok loyalty is a good thing.
Im loyal to NewEgg,they have been nothing but professional to me and my business therefore they have earned my business.
That being said,I also have respect for Kyle and this site and the people here,but id sure like to know why there is such a deep hatred for NewEgg...them saying it was a demo is not a good enough reason for me..

Seriously, I noticed the tone when the story was first posted and I was kind of shocked. I then noticed that Newegg was missing from the banners. Now I see that Newegg is being blamed for D&H's threat to sue.

I'm not entirely sure why, but I really feel like someone has an axe to grind here and that they aren't really trying to hide it.

I was trying to be civil about it, but at least I'm not the only one who's felt this vibe over this issue...facts are facts and Kyle has reported them, but, in the media, presentation and tone are everything. Words have power and one can tell the same story several different ways and with different tones, just by carefully choosing the right words (as we've seen with Newegg's "demo box" PR clusterf**k and the ensuing fallout).

If I'm wrong, I apologize to Kyle and Paul, but [H]'s presentation and tone of this issue has been sticking in my craw all weekend.

Last edited:
No doubt, reporting on the issue was very important and it definitely should have been done.

However, insisting that newegg is lying - when it is probably more like bad PR and confused PR people - is almost certainly unwarranted. More like a drama piece, but I guess if it drives traffic, you'll see it.

To all those defending the egg: go back and look at the photos again. It would be obvious to a 12 year old that these were not "demo units". On Friday, they were telling their customers that they were counterfeits (read the posts at overclockers). Yet after that they changed their story to "demo units". And they forwarded a press release calling them "demo units". Have any of you ever dealt with big company press releases? Almost nothing they do gets more scrutiny from the lawyers - each and every word is assessed and discussed.

They are telling a lie. And I have no reason the believe that they did not already know it was a lie when they started telling it.

What is not clear is why. What is motivating it? Is their distributor pressuring them? Is there some internal control that they are embarrassed about? Are they in hot water with Intel over this for some reason? Who knows...what we do know is that they have chosen to lie to their customers.

I can't say that I will stop buying from them. I actually can't name a completely reputable retailer or e-tailer. But what i can say is I will remember this and it will impact my choice of where to buy.

I was born in the dark, but it wasnt last night. Newegg needs to stop with the bullshit, outright lies. Nobody was blaming them in the beginning, but I now blame them for the lies. You got ripped-off. Learn from it, you arent foolin anyone.

To all those defending the egg: go back and look at the photos again. It would be obvious to a 12 year old that these were not "demo units". On Friday, they were telling their customers that they were counterfeits (read the posts at overclockers). Yet after that they changed their story to "demo units". And they forwarded a press release calling them "demo units". Have any of you ever dealt with big company press releases? Almost nothing they do gets more scrutiny from the lawyers - each and every word is assessed and discussed.

They are telling a lie. And I have no reason the believe that they did not already know it was a lie when they started telling it.

What is not clear is why. What is motivating it? Is their distributor pressuring them? Is there some internal control that they are embarrassed about? Are they in hot water with Intel over this for some reason? Who knows...what we do know is that they have chosen to lie to their customers.

I can't say that I will stop buying from them. I actually can't name a completely reputable retailer or e-tailer. But what i can say is I will remember this and it will impact my choice of where to buy.

I don't care what they called it,I doubt they know themselves what they are.I don't care if they call them flying gas cans the fact is there fixing the problem with the affected customers.if they (NEWEGG) didn't do anything to fix the problem,or said it was someone else mistake and let them fix it,then yeah id be with you 100% but they didn't,they jumped on the problem and handled it.

Has anyone checked how well these counterfeit processors overclock on air? It looks like the fan they come with has pretty low CFM - also do they support hyperthreading? I understand that the accompanying manual doesn't mention that one way or the other.

Has anyone checked how well these counterfeit processors overclock on air? It looks like the fan they come with has pretty low CFM - also do they support hyperthreading? I understand that the accompanying manual doesn't mention that one way or the other.

LOL!!!

While this is a hot topic I don't see why it really should be. From the customers perspective Newegg is handling this correctly in either offering a full refund or an advance replacement RMA. Nothing else should be expected. They aren't waiting for each and every individual buyer to call in they are sending these out to every account that bought one of the potential bad CPU's.

Now as to how Newegg handled the statement...they may be held legally liable if they came out and used the term "counterfeit" and it turned out not to be the case. So in the beginning using the term "Demo Unit" doesn't seem that much of a reach. Companies are like politicians - they are not going to come out and say "We sold you some fake stuff - our bad"

Even with intel later coming out and saying they are counterfeit may not relieve newegg from legal liability to their distributor so they keep with the demo unit term. Regardless they are taking care of the customers who got burned which is the most important thing in my mind.

I also concur with the guy who mentioned that the cheap warehouse labor newegg employs has little time or interest to check the boxes for authenticity. They have a quota/schedule to meet and better darn well make it if they want to get paid.

Last edited:

I have to say i am in the same boat, I actually canceled 2 orders I had with them, and just chose to pay the 5 dollar difference and went to Fry's I have to say this is something I will be doing more and more often now. How can they expect me to trust someone who lies, and then cops an attitude about being caught in the lie, it seems as though they chose to lie, and made a mountain out of a mole hill. When you make a bad decision and get you dick slammed in the door, don't lie about how it happened gab the bag of ice and move on, sorry new egg, while I can't say I won't be buying from you again, I will not be spending 5 grand at your website again this year, more than likely it will be less than 500, that's for sure!

While this is a hot topic I don't see why it really should be. From the customers perspective Newegg is handling this correctly in either offering a full refund or an advance replacement RMA. Nothing else should be expected. They aren't waiting for each and every individual buyer to call in they are sending these out to every account that bought one of the potential bad CPU's.

Now as to how Newegg handled the statement...they may be held legally liable if they came out and used the term "counterfeit" and it turned out not to be the case. So in the beginning using the term "Demo Unit" doesn't seem that much of a reach. Companies are like politicians - they are not going to come out and say "We sold you some fake stuff - our bad"

Even with intel later coming out and saying they are counterfeit may not relieve newegg from legal liability to their distributor so they keep with the demo unit term. Regardless they are taking care of the customers who got burned which is the most important thing in my mind.

I also concur with the guy who mentioned that the cheap warehouse labor newegg employs has little time or interest to check the boxes for authenticity. They have a quota/schedule to meet and better darn well make it if they want to get paid.

This.

You folks that say this isn't really a big deal don't really grasp the scope of this situation. This is more than who's distributing conterfeit chips and where to lay that blame. The intel manufacturing process is highly guarded, secretive and copyrighted among other things. What kind of organization has the ability to manufacture a counterfeit chip? Where did they get this information and knowledge? This isn't some kids hacking an xbox in a basement somewhere. What if there's some sort of malware built into the chip? My personal opinion this has illegal activity from China written all over it.

You folks that say this isn't really a big deal don't really grasp the scope of this situation. This is more than who's distributing conterfeit chips and where to lay that blame. The intel manufacturing process is highly guarded, secretive and copyrighted among other things. What kind of organization has the ability to manufacture a counterfeit chip? This isn't some kids hacking an xbox in a basement somewhere. What if there's some sort of malware built into the chip? My personal opinion this has illegal activity from China written all over it.

... Did you even look at the chip and the box? I could make one of those myself with a reasonable amount of effort.

You folks that say this isn't really a big deal don't really grasp the scope of this situation. The intel manufacturing process is highly guarded, secretive and copyrighted among other things. What kind of organization has the ability to manufacture a counterfeit chip? This isn't some kids hacking an xbox in a basement somewhere. What if there's some sort of malware built into the chip? My personal opinion this has illegal activity from China written all over it.

Uhh, these counterfeits were completely nonfunctional...you couldn't install it and run anything on it if you tried. In fact, I believe someone tried to actually install one of these fakes and fried their rig, IIRC...

You folks that say this isn't really a big deal don't really grasp the scope of this situation. This is more than who's distributing conterfeit chips and where to lay that blame. The intel manufacturing process is highly guarded, secretive and copyrighted among other things. What kind of organization has the ability to manufacture a counterfeit chip? Where did they get this information and knowledge? This isn't some kids hacking an xbox in a basement somewhere. What if there's some sort of malware built into the chip? My personal opinion this has illegal activity from China written all over it.

Ya. it was a "plastic" chip.

So let me get this straight...

-It's ok for newegg and/or one of it's distributor to purchase grey market goods as long as newegg replace the CPU of the customers who received bad merchandise?

-It's not ok for liquor stores to sell grey market alcool.

What's the difference both are against the law. The point here is it's not about Newegg selling fake CPU. They clearly not intended to sell fake CPU's. The point is they (Newegg and/or D&H) got caught the hand in the cookie jar selling grey market goods when they were scammed and didn't notice before seding bad merchandise to their customers.

Now was that all Newegg's doing, what it D&H fault completely and newegg had nopthing to do with that or where they both implicated? We don't know that yet.

One thing is sure and fact. Newegg sold fake CPU's even if they remedied the problem.

No, you would be fired at best or jailed maybe both. I see you have never worked in or around a warehouse before.

This is pure speculative nonsense. My first ever paying job was working in a warehouse in a Sears doing will-call work. They had a standing policy at the time when I was there that the items were to be checked either before giving them to the customer or asking the customer if they would like us/them to check out the item was as is received? This is for items sight-on-scene.

To claim that being fired or jailed would be how it works at Newegg is ridiculous. They clearly do not have a procedure/process in place to check on outgoing products. Whether they can or can't isn't my problem no is it? There is a level of trust that has to be taken from me to them that they will get this right. How they do it isn't my concern, just that's it done and that I don't get a fake/demo from them unless specifically stated that this is what I'm going to buy. I'm buying products from the sight unseen am I not? So I would think there would be a reasonable measure to make sure and check that the product I bought is the actual product they will be shipping out. Get a clue.

With the millions of products they ship things will happen.

Irrelevant.

If Newegg says they are Official Intel Demo Units, that means that not only you can return these to Newegg, but also Intel. That means that Intel will take full responsibility per their warranty also. The statement from Intel pretty much clears them from any liability in this case.

The statement from Newegg seeks to make Intel culpable for them also. Intel wants absolutely nothing to do with this other than to track down who is trying to give them a bad name. Newegg's statement basically says, "Sorry guys these aren't real chips from Intel. They are official demo units from Intel though that got mixed up in the shipment. Please accept our apologies on the mix up."

That makes Intel look like shit. Intel can't even spell proper english words on their own box. And Intel has the audacity to actually include a blank instruction manual in their demo units? How can they educate a consumer to buy their product with crap like that?

That's what the average consumer that knows jack about PC's would think. If you were Intel would you want bad press like that? Then you're asking Kyle to "let it go". Why? Do you want to base your purchases on real life news about the chip industry or official press releases? Do you want reviews or feel good stories?

I mean all NewEgg and the distributor have to do is tell the truth. Nothing more; nothing less. Say something like the chips were purchased and we didn't really check the supply when they came in. We barcode scanned them and sat them on the shelves. Or it got past or Q&A department and we're sorry we shipped counterfeit CPU's, and we're working with Intel, the distributor and the FBI to track down the culprits.

But no they tossed the problem on Intel by saying it's an official Intel demo unit. If I were Intel I would be livid.

Cageymaru

Why would an online retailer have 300 demo boxes sitting around in their warehouse to begin with? Even if they were demo boxes, they were poorly-made and not labeled as demos... Which is definitely not up to Intel's standards. I love to bash Intel...but they know their products and control all. As for them being called "demo units" or "counterfeit chips"...both are incorrect. They'd technically be display boxes, since none of the items are functional.

The casual consumer wouldn't notice and would believe Newegg... Of course they're voluntarily "making it right," If they didn't they'd be facing numerous BBB complaints and lawsuits.

What's the big deal?

Newegg had a problem, it's dealing with it, and no consumer got screwed.

Not the point. It's great that Newegg is making it right. It's not so great how they have handled it in the press which belies a larger problem. They have implicated two other companies in this mess. Now look what has happened. No big deal? Really?

As for them being called "demo units" or "counterfeit chips"...both are incorrect. They'd technically be display boxes, since none of the items are functional.

They aren't demo units. Intel's statement concerning this refutes that as being a possibility. Counterfeit stuff doesn't have to be functional. Once the consumer has parted with their cash the scam has worked. For the scam artist all is well at that point.

This is like Housewife's of New Jersey for Geeks. Newegg is taking care of it who freaking cares what the lawyers are doing in the background.

All I know is "Newegg continues to lie to its customers" are strong words.

This is like Housewife's of New Jersey for Geeks. Newegg is taking care of it who freaking cares what the lawyers are doing in the background.

These aren't demo boxes. Intel has already stated this. That statement conflicts with Newegg's statement about them being demo boxes. This constitutes a lie.

Why is that again? Newegg sells gray market items (camera's in particular) and gray market CPU's still are big business. It is far easier to get scammed on the gray market than it is through distributors like D&H. Heh, could have been D&H buying but that seems unlikely as they would have Intel breathing directly down their neck, Newegg would not.

I said it would be the unpopular opinion, looks like I was right.

So let me get this straight...

-It's ok for newegg and/or one of it's distributor to purchase grey market goods as long as newegg replace the CPU of the customers who received bad merchandise?

-It's not ok for liquor stores to sell grey market alcool.

What's the difference both are against the law. The point here is it's not about Newegg selling fake CPU. They clearly not intended to sell fake CPU's. The point is they (Newegg and/or D&H) got caught the hand in the cookie jar selling grey market goods when they were scammed and didn't notice before seding bad merchandise to their customers.

Now was that all Newegg's doing, what it D&H fault completely and newegg had nopthing to do with that or where they both implicated? We don't know that yet.

One thing is sure and fact. Newegg sold fake CPU's even if they remedied the problem.

I should clarify my initial statement to Paul, because I think we may be on different pages. "Gray-market" is typically a distinction which is made by manufacturers, who have a bad habit of segmenting and pricing their product lines by geographical areas (and sometimes get pissy when importers [which Newegg is] sell products that the manufacturers themselves did not intend to be for sale in certain areas). If Newegg sells genuine gray market goods (such as the aforementioned cameras) that they obtain from trusted sources legally, then they can and should sell those goods here, as long as they are genuine articles and no laws are violated (health/safety, trade, etc.).

The current issue is that, somehow, Newegg received 300 counterfeit Intel CPUs buried in a pallet of 2000 units. That's not gray-market, that's just counterfeit...PERIOD. Whoever slipped Newegg the fake CPUs needs to be set after, not Newegg.

Last edited:
Because Newegg's statement means that Intel is responsible for this mess also. Being as it is an official Intel product.

Cageymaru

Newegg did not handle the fallout from this correctly...but the main point is does anyone really believe that Newegg intentionally sold counterfeit CPU's?...of course not...they sold a bad batch...same as any company selling a defective batch of merchandise...happens on occasion...it's how they deal with it that matters

counterfeit or demo, who really cares what they call it...Newegg is no less reputable today then last week...it was a mistake on their part...don't crucify them for it

i hope everyone stop buying from newegg.com so when i see a newegg deal, i can actually buy it. You know how they jack up the prices once people start buying.

These aren't demo boxes. Intel has already stated this. That statement conflicts with Newegg's statement about them being demo boxes. This constitutes a lie.

Maybe. But until Newegg gets all the facts, maybe they have to go off the information being told them by the supposed reputable seller. Businesses can't just call other businesses liars and be wrong, they have to investigate before they call someone out.

Maybe Newegg is going off the facts they currently have until they get to the bottom of this. Maybe Newegg can't change it's stance in this ultra modern world of millisecond updates. Maybe once they have the story straight they will tell everyone but to do so now is premature.

That's not lying. Damn, give them more than a day before you start throwing stones. A week from now... okay, just saying it's still early days to say "liar liar"

i hope everyone stop buying from newegg.com so when i see a newegg deal, i can actually buy it. You know how they jack up the prices once people start buying.

I see this Newegg "boycott" from those offended going about as well as the one for CoD:MW2 over the crap IW and Activision cut out/gimped in the PC version...which is to say, not too well or too long.

So you suggest that Intel eat the blame for a few more weeks until NewEgg gets the courage to respond differently? NewEgg stated they know where all the CPU's went. How can you even trust that if they can't even admit the CPU's are fakes?

Cageymaru

Maybe. But until Newegg gets all the facts, maybe they have to go off the information being told them by the supposed reputable seller. Businesses can't just call other businesses liars and be wrong, they have to investigate before they call someone out.

Maybe Newegg is going off the facts they currently have until they get to the bottom of this. Maybe Newegg can't change it's stance in this ultra modern world of millisecond updates. Maybe once they have the story straight they will tell everyone but to do so now is premature.

That's not lying. Damn, give them more than a day before you start throwing stones. A week from now... okay, just saying it's still early days to say "liar liar"

I just caught Kyle discussing the issue on CNN.

Tonight he's going to be on Nightline!

Kyle: Is is true that you're in talks to be on Dancing With the Stars, and that the Octomom wants to have your babies?

If I had Newegg stock, I would have sold it before today. Jesus that stock is going lead.
Newegg=Circuit City

And that makes it right?

So you think people in here who are making assumption and jumping to conclusions and already flaming Newegg and whoever is right?

I see most are in here just for trolling. I love some of the trolling that are saying they will never buy from newegg ever again when I'm sure they never bought anything from newegg in the first place.

If I had Newegg stock, I would have sold it before today. Jesus that stock is going lead.
Newegg=Circuit City

Keep telling yourself that...Newegg will settle up with everyone and make everything right, something CC had major problems doing before they went tits up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back