Anyone ever order a retail 920 and get...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone here seriously think that a warehouse picker (i used to be one) gives two shits about what they are picking? They are probably young, cheap labor.

Also, I may just be this naive, but why is this such a big deal? I'm sure this happens all the time in a wide variety of industries. The bottom line is Newegg shipped fake drives and is fixing the problem. As to the "demo units" fiasco, what if Newegg didn't even have any of the item left in house to inspect after the initial claims came in? They get a couple phone calls from end consumers, and take a stab at a viable excuse. Happens all the time..

Because there is a level of expectation from the customer on buying things sight unseen from a 'reputable' e-tailer like Newegg. These excuses of low paid, non-caring warehouse employees is excuse making and it needs to stop right now. This is the type of complacency that started this problem in the first place and Newegg should do everything in their power to stop it. They would save a ton of money from this type of fraud and abuse alone if they trained their warehouse staff to give a shit about what they are sending out from their own warehouses or drop-ships. All this does is cement in the mind of a customer that Newegg is nothing more than a careless middle-man. There is a distinction about buying products sight unseen as opposed to direct retail sight-on-scene. What's the point of efficiency if you lose the money on returns, RMA's, and counterfeit/fake product? I don't care if it happens all the time or not, what you are in essence are advocating is complacency and mediocrity. You should be ashamed. You should always give and expect excellence at all levels whether you think people/companies can give it or not.

I am not brushing the issue aside. Supplier failure is an internal supplier issue NewEggs responsibility is to make the supplier aware of the issue, ask pointed questions and require corrective action from the supplier. If the supplier does not correct the issue than the supplier is decertified. The issue seems to be that you do not get it.

Are you daft? Do you think people care that this came from D&H? No. They care that it came from Newegg because that's who they ordered from. Jesus Christ. Get a fucking clue. You and people like you in this thread have done everything in their power to minimize this issue and for what? What are you gaining by doing that? Can't you ask for excellence from anyone you do business with? That's what I expect. If you want to be shit on and then lied to about it then that's your problem, but don't try to give me a prostate exam with both your hands on my shoulders, because your excuse making is the equivalent of that.

No kidding, too many people on these forums have a very elitist attitude toward anyone who doesn't have a college degree and / or does physical labor. Especially when it comes to the Union Haters here, they are the worst.

Hey, I'm union hater. I don't like them. However, that being said, everyone should excel and exceed what they do at their job. People should expect excellence at all levels, union labor, non-union labor, white collar, blue collar. It's about doing excellent work from a ditch digger or the guy flipping burgers. Do the job, do it with excellence, do it right. That's what this is about not accepting complacency and getting it.

I think they're intended to be, since someone around here appears to have an obvious axe to grind with an ex-advertiser...

Talk about your "strong words"... Now what logical reason would any business have to "grind and axe with an ex-advertiser?" This is not High School; [H]ardOCP is a business. Websites depend on advertising and would not want to jeopardize their relationships with existing advertisers by "grinding an axe" with former advertisers.

In my opinion, nothing that I have read that Kyle or any representative of [H]ardOCP has posted has been untrue or deceptive. They give you the straight facts with no bullsh*t.

I for one appreciate honesty. Newegg has certainly been doing the right thing (by law) and is replacing any shipped counterfeits. But to continue calling them "demo units" is very much like saying "I did not have sexual relations with that woman"... and we all know how that turned out.

I return products under warranty to the manufacturer sometimes. Because most of the time they prefer to receive them rather than the seller.

NewEgg is saying these are Official Intel Demo Units. That means that if I have a warranty problem with what I received, then I can also see Intel about it.

That means Intel would be liable if say... The box wasn't labeled DEMO... And I stuck it in my motherboard and fried it. It's not NewEgg's fault that Intel didn't properly label the box DEMO UNIT. It's Intel's negligence.

And makes them culpable. And that's wrong on NewEgg's part to do so.

Cageymaru

No it doesn't. Why on earth would you think that?

Kyle, Newegg Support was very clear with me at 5PM on Friday about this issue:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6425640&postcount=2

They may have an internal communication problem, leading to them still publishing some incorrect information via email to their customers. However, it seems an understanding does exist at newegg that these are in fact counterfeit units and NOT demo boxes.

I think it is slightly misleading, or maybe overly sensational to insist that Newegg is lying when there are simpler answers - this issue is still developing and their communication channels do not seem to be all on the same page. How much credit or criticism a person wants to give Newegg is at each own's discretion, however I'd venture a guess that any misinformation out there is more a product of haste than it is trying to cover things up.

I wish D&H had more to say, as it's been implied they have more direct involvement with the source of these counterfeit units.

This still doesn't explain Newegg's press release. Did Newegg intentionally lie in their press release? All indications are yes. If they didn't have the full scope of knowledge on what happened, then they lied by omission. They implicated two other companies in this mess. One of which is pretty pissed off right now. I'll let you guess which. You still haven't address that.

Here you go, did it fairly quickly so please excuse a few misspellings. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQrAOQ4TzQc

OK, that was funny. But dammit, of all the languages in the world, I had to know German, or it would've been hilarious. Still thou, well done.

And I still trust NewEgg, heck, almost all the parts in both my gaming rigs are from there (except the cases), and I'm sure I'll be saying the same when I build a third gaming rig. I just wish they wouldn't have gone with demo boxes...

You are the one avoiding the issues Kyle. Newegg likely can't say they are counterfeit until Intel tells them in writing that they are (caveat: I am not a lawyer). And it looks like this has been done recently. To say anything else would open them up to legal exposure from the supplier. Is Newegg an authority at detecting counterfeit cpus? Probably, I would say so, but my opinion is not worth very much in court. Would I risk my business to claim this right away, when the matter can be settled in a few days after shipping a unit to Intel? It is one thing to publish opinions on a news site, this is perfectly acceptable, and readers frequent [H] specifically for your expert opinions. It is a different matter to immediately state "these CPUs are counterfeit" especially when being threatened with legal action, as D&H appears to have done.

What is important: taking care of the customer. They did this. I will continue to patronize their business. I see nothing wrong with their timeline. If I got a fake cpu I would laugh it off, and feel confident that Newegg would take care of me ASAP. The focus of the story should be pressuring the supplier, not Newegg, and finding out what their exposure was, what they knew when, where they got the CPUs, etc.

So in other words Curtis, you would like to be taken advantage of and then lied to and then have to take your own time, which I assume has value and/or worth and then take care of it yourself through their excellent customer service department. And if they tell you, sorry, we can't help you, then what do you? Take it like a man?

Stick to the facts as they are presented and were presented. You are talking about this as if you know. You don't. Go read Neweggs press release and juxtapose that to what Intel and D&H are now saying and doing and you will see that your 'issue' is nonsense.

Im loving how people are defending Newegg and cutting down Kyle for reporting it.
A guy got on his forum got fucked, Kyle investigated and reported it. So what if they sent him the real thing shortly thereafter. The guy originally got FUCKED. Ever get the wrong thing at the drive through? You have to get back in the car after getting home go back and complain before they give you the correct food. IF they didnt spit in it. You got screwed. Maybe they replaced it but it was a damn inconvieniece and your money and time that got fucked.
In this case it was a scam and shady buisness practices.
I remember when Directron got screwed on this and many forums, where you could not make reference to them or you post was edited. Hope that happens here. Suck it shills!

Some people keep spouting "official intel demo boxes" I don't remember reading the word official from the egg.. did I miss it somewhere?

and big deal about NE first saying demo. They probably didn't have a clue as to how big an issue this was when they first heard of it.

and to the people that keep speweing out "newegg shouldn't be buying stuff from the gray market". How do you know they buy stuff from the gray market? You don't.

really, a bunch of whining over nothing.

This is one of the craziest computer hardware stories I've ever seen.

I think they made a big mistake with that demo unit shit. At first, it looked like a crazy but fairly understandable mistake. Now, something looks flat out fishy with one of the largest and most reputable sellers in the business.

I'm enormously interested to see how this plays out. Talk about an epic scandal.

No you sure are not kyle. You are making them up. You have decided that NewEgg has called them demo units and does not know better, that they are blatantly doing this. You have no fact at all showing this. In fact, what you post shows they are not really confirming to much of anything other than 'appears to be.'

I can not believe you are sticking with this. In all the years I have been coming here I never thought I would see you act so childish. HardOCP is supposed to be above this. This is why I come to this site and no others.

Someone earlier posted that HardOCP and NewEgg had some sort of beef or something earlier, but never went into detail. Sounded like an advertising and/or 'forums specials' disagreement. With how you have been acting, I am seriously thinking this may be personal for you.

Go read their press release. What the fuck is wrong with you people? I have never seen a case of conclusion jumping in my life outside of this story.

I keep recalling scenes from "Goodfellas" where the mob was getting half the stuff going through the airports and truck suppliers. Makes me wonder how many "Shell-Shocker" deals was merchandice that "fell-off-the-truck"....

This still doesn't explain Newegg's press release. Did Newegg intentionally lie in their press release? All indications are yes. If they didn't have the full scope of knowledge on what happened, then they lied by omission. They implicated two other companies in this mess. One of which is pretty pissed off right now. I'll let you guess which. You still haven't address that.

After Kyle's last response to me, in which he accused overclockers.com of plagiarism, I am gracefully stepping out of this discussion.

Let it be known that Kyle's legal counsel has not contacted me yet regarding any copyright issues. I can only assume that is because his response to me was based out of anger and not fact.

I have said my piece which you quoted, and I stand by it. We'll see how this shakes out eventually, time is the greatest clarifier. In the meantime, I'll continue voting with my browser and visiting news outlets which present fact without seasoning their presentation with undisclosed prejudice.

Newegg did not handle the fallout from this correctly...but the main point is does anyone really believe that Newegg intentionally sold counterfeit CPU's?...of course not...they sold a bad batch...same as any company selling a defective batch of merchandise...happens on occasion...it's how they deal with it that matters

counterfeit or demo, who really cares what they call it...Newegg is no less reputable today then last week...it was a mistake on their part...don't crucify them for it

They are a reputable retailer so no doubt they will handle it correctly on the customers side.

The problem here for many is that Newegg now appears to be dishonest in explaining the whole situation. Its not about what they call it, its about what they said that now makes them look like they were trying to quickly cover it up without letting the consumers know what really happened.

Personally, I think its an honest mistake on Newegg part, but they should have come clean about it. The best thing for them to say is that they are investigating the issue or something like that. If they didn't know whats going on, just admit it, nothing wrong with that. Its wrong if they simply created up a cover story, that's lying.

Why are you (and others) so hellbent on crucifying Newegg and whining that you'll never buy from them again,

Wow. Is this what it's come to? Now you are lying about what I said. I'm not crucifying Newegg and I've never said I will never buy from them again. What I did say is that they put out a press release and they have clearly lied in it. They have internal QC/process issues to sort out. They implicated Intel in that press release. Intel has since repudiated what Newegg has said in their own press release. I've bought from them for years. Had one issue, they corrected it. But their credibility has been eroded by this, which will make me consider buying from them, not that I will never buy from them. Understand the distinction, okay?

even though they are addressing the problem promptly with endusers (at Newegg's expense, AFAIK)? Look, we know the "demo box" explanation was (and continues to be) lame, but the possibility is that's the initial explanation they got from D&H (their supplier for the parts in question); granted, if it were me over at Newegg HQ dealing with this mess on Friday, I'd have not only talked to my supplier post haste, but to Intel at the same time and kept on working the PR problem through the weekend.

Well, then maybe you should get a job at their PR firm and do what you said because that is clearly what did not happen in this case and that's a real problem for them. If they are willing to lie about this, what else are they doing that we should know about, hmm? You aren't making a case for them, you are only bolstering my claim that I've made since I entered this thread. The truth has a way of doing that you know.

Unfortunately, in the age of the 24/7 news cycle, a lack of information right away can be perceived to be worse than putting out incorrect information (and correcting it later), so I imagine Newegg and their PR firm felt pressured to get something out on the wire before the end of the day on Friday. However, I can't for the life of me understand why Newegg is still sticking to the "demo box" line almost 4 days on now, even after Intel confirmed the "demo boxes" were indeed counterfeits.

You are now clearly admitting through implication that Newegg has lied because they are still sticking to their story even after Intel has clearly set the record straight. Thanks for the vindication.

That said, I'm a big believer in "actions speak louder than words" and Newegg's customer service has always done me right and is doing right by all those affected by this mess. However, D&H's actions (and words) to this point makes me wonder if someone at D&H is either complicit in this affair or they are being completely moronic corporate boneheads; it also makes me wonder if and how much pressure they're putting on Newegg to toe the "demo box" line, Intel, the media, and consumers be damned.

What I would advise everyone who's passionate about this subject is to write Newegg's customer service directly (email or post [which is even better]; don't spam nasty comments in the product review sections!) and let them know that their PR sucks and that they don't need to fall on their sword for D&H if they want to keep people's business...I certainly will.

Then I still don't get why you are angry at me, when you've clearly outlined Newegg lying. Oh well, this is what happens in discussions like this people miscue and misconstrue all kinds of things just so they can have their say without contributing a thing to the discussion. I've been consistent in what I've said from my first posting in this thread. The facts bear this out. Thanks for playing.

I'm not seeing what the big deal is. Other than maybe newegg made a misstep saying it was a demo unit mistakenly shipped to them from their supplier instead of simply saying some counterfeit product slipped through from the supplier. I've been buying most of my computer parts from the egg since they opened and other than their issues with not packaging hard driver as thoroughly as they should on occasion, they're fantastic. They ship quickly and any time I've had a problem their customer service has been superb. I know this little episode will have absolutely no effect on my trust in buying products from Newegg in the future.

pretty obvious to me

newegg unknowingly flogged a bunch of fake cpu's

they don't want to lose their good standing with their distributor or Intel, so they give a press release saying what was probably and most likely advised to them by Intel and or said distributor, so they do, anything else damages their relationship with their source/s

someone at Intel slips up and makes the statement that these are NOT demo units, making Newegg out to be a liar

now Newegg is probably waiting for Intel to make it right with their own public statement, coving Newegg and themselves and the distributor in the process while trying to keep hush hush the REAL question in everyone's mind......Where are the real CPU's?

seems pretty obvious to me, if you think about the supply chain or know anything about it....there's a freight dock somewhere with a forklift driver or truck driver who has been thinking about this a long time, planned it out, had the ability to make the swap very quickly and discreetly, and if they were smart already had buyers waiting to receive delivery of said hot cpu's.....they turned a quick buck, someone else made a little too....its not hard to envision if you have ever spent any time inside a freight terminal.....

After Kyle's last response to me, in which he accused overclockers.com of plagiarism, I am gracefully stepping out of this discussion.

Let it be known that Kyle's legal counsel has not contacted me yet regarding any copyright issues. I can only assume that is because his response to me was based out of anger and not fact.

I have said my piece which you quoted, and I stand by it. We'll see how this shakes out eventually, time is the greatest clarifier. In the meantime, I'll continue voting with my browser and visiting news outlets which present fact without seasoning their presentation with undisclosed prejudice.

Did you practice that little bit of speech before you wrote it? Man, talk about back-handed conclusions. The facts are clear, read the press release. Read Intels conclusions. I assume you have and if you did, you will see the seasoning has come from Newegg, not [H]. People are complaining about the headline. Fuck the headline, that isn't what is being discussed. It's the content of what Newegg has said. If you don't like that, then slink away waiting for your 'time' to meet out what you think the 'facts' should be. I'm NOT defending Kyle by the way. He's a big boy who can take care of his own issues. I'm talking directly to what Newegg has said in their own official words. They can still fix this. They choose not to much to their detriment and you have the nerve to pretend to back out of this and hedge your bets that some other facts will be presented? Go vote with your browser indeed.

Last edited:
seems pretty obvious to me, if you think about the supply chain or know anything about it....there's a freight dock somewhere with a forklift driver or truck driver who has been thinking about this a long time, planned it out, had the ability to make the swap very quickly and discreetly, and if they were smart already had buyers waiting to receive delivery of said hot cpu's.....they turned a quick buck, someone else made a little too....its not hard to envision if you have ever spent any time inside a freight terminal.....
Like I said...I keep recalling scenes from "Goodfellas" where the mob was getting half the stuff going through the airports and truck suppliers. Makes me wonder how many "Shell-Shocker" deals was merchandice that "fell-off-the-truck"....LOL.

newegg is fully automated all the few workers they have do is pack stuff for shipping
they dont have time to read or look at a box at no fault to them they have to keep up with quota or get fired

stuff happens same with putting stuff in the warehouse
Newegg did what could be asked of them and replaced the parts
D&H are bad guys here not Newegg
edit
i would also say that most likely D&H threatened Newegg to take party line and say they were "Demo" units
id would bet D&H said if newegg didnt go along with it D&H may have threatened to stop working with them

Problem for Newegg then isn't it? They are the last to see these parts before the customer gets them. This is their responsibility. No one seems to understand this.

Problem for Newegg then isn't it? They are the last to see these parts before the customer gets them. This is their responsibility. No one seems to understand this.

Actually its a MAJOR problem and the law is involved now...

1st. Thanks for the info

"Do you really think Intel would make a "demo" unit like we saw? Intel can at least check spelling." -Kyle

Lets ask Nvidia if they would really make a 'demo' like we saw? Anyone have some wood screws?

I think if D&H told Newegg that they were demos they're pretty much stuck with calling them "apparently" demos legally until an official investigation as to their entry into the supply chain is concluded. I know we're talking if it looks like a duck and acts like a duck, but we're not dealing with reality, we're dealing with law..... maybe. IANAL. :>

This is all a bunch of manufactured drama. The only people this really effects are the people in Newegg's supply chain. Demo units or not, no cpu is no cpu, and Newegg has taken care of it.

Are you high? Who else do you not think this affected. <insert jeopardy music here> Oh, I don't know. THE CUSTOMER PERHAPS?!?!!?

And this is law enforcement's and Intel's problem. Newegg just echoed what it's supplier told them.

And this absolves Newegg's press release how?

And thing beyond that is really of no real concern to us or them. I'm sure this is useful to Intel and law enforcement, but wth does Newegg have to do with anything? All Newegg cares about is not getting boxes with out CPUs in them. This means that Newegg will probably have to audit this suppliers shipments more closely or drop them.

Ignorance is bliss isn't it?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2361104,00.asp

PC Mag is reporting it as well...

At the time, reports had indicated that the fake processors were in fact so-called "demo units".

By Monday afternoon, NewEgg had rejected that story.

"Newegg is currently conducting a thorough investigation surrounding recent shipments of questionable Intel Core i7-920 CPUs purchased from Newegg.com," a spokesman said in a statement.

"Initial information we received from our supplier, IPEX, stated that they had mistakenly shipped us 'demo units,' the spokesman added. "We have since come to discover the CPUs were counterfeit and are terminating our relationship with this supplier. Contrary to any speculation, D&H Distributing is not the vendor that supplied us with the Intel Core i7-920 CPUs in question."

I don't remember what exactly she called the processor, I think she just referred to it as the intel 920 issue. Sorry I didn't pay attention to the exact wording.

Here is something from the RMA they issued.

Newegg Comment:
Item# 19-115-202 **KNOWN ISSUE FROM CPU** ADVANCE REPLACEMENT IN PROCESS **ALL ITEMS MUST BE RETURNED IN ORIGINAL RETAIL PACKAGING AND ALL ACCESSORIES IF ANYTHING MISSING;RMA DENIED AND RETURNED TO CUSTOMER**

I'm shocked, shocked that they didn't refer to it as original 'demo' packaging. :D

Sure..."IPEX" is just their fictional supplier created for situations like this. Lies!

:D JK

:eek:MG! Doesn't Apple own the iPEX?!? It's all starting to make sense! :p (just kidding!)

As posted on Gizmodo (in partial):

"Initial information we received from our supplier, IPEX, stated that they had mistakenly shipped us "demo units." We have since come to discover the CPUs were counterfeit and are terminating our relationship with this supplier. Contrary to any speculation, D&H Distributing is not the vendor that supplied us with the Intel Core i7-920 CPUs in question."

It actually makes sense now... D and H sent out C and D letters because D and H wasn't the supplier.

You can bet that Intel will be following up with IPEX to determine where the counterfeits entered the supply chain...

:eek:MG! Doesn't Apple own the iPEX?!? It's all starting to make sense! :p (just kidding!)

As posted on Gizmodo (in partial):

"Initial information we received from our supplier, IPEX, stated that they had mistakenly shipped us "demo units." We have since come to discover the CPUs were counterfeit and are terminating our relationship with this supplier. Contrary to any speculation, D&H Distributing is not the vendor that supplied us with the Intel Core i7-920 CPUs in question."

It actually makes sense now... D and H sent out C and D letters because D and H wasn't the supplier.

You can bet that Intel will be following up with IPEX to determine where the counterfeits entered the supply chain...

Instead of C&D notices which only serves to make them seem more guilty, they should have just outright said they weren't the supplier.

I have to say,I love this site very much,but clearly something has happen between NewEgg and [H],and Kyle seems to be on a war footing with them and his followers are marching right behind him,and thats ok loyalty is a good thing.
Im loyal to NewEgg,they have been nothing but professional to me and my business therefore they have earned my business.
That being said,I also have respect for Kyle and this site and the people here,but id sure like to know why there is such a deep hatred for NewEgg...them saying it was a demo is not a good enough reason for me..

Here are the facts:

Nix shows off how he got swindled. Thread gets big. Kyle puts it on the front page for others to see and share in the discussion. Newegg puts out a press release a day or two later that implicates Intel. Drama ensues. People conclusion jump, make false accusations, and can't stick to the facts. C&D is issued by D&H, nothing will come of it because the facts are presented as they happen.

You see, everyone, including me, you, Kyle, whoever is actually a reporter. We see something happen, we report it as it happens. This is what Kyle has done. His opinions on the matter are his, based on the facts as they are presented. He has to live with those opinions or die by them.

Some have made it their mission to grind Newegg into a fine powder over the "demo box" wording in their press release on Friday and automated emails throughout the weekend, minimizing the fact that Newegg was taking care of the affected customers right off the bat by either shipping them the genuine CPU they paid for or refunding their money (at Newegg's expense, AFAIK).

No grinding here. Either Newegg should get new PR or clearly their PR sucks donkey balls and doesn't understand what they are saying or from whom. In either case, this is their official stance. How else do want people to take it. The PR is official. Should we surmise something else? The problem is that they attached Intel's name to the 'demo' box issue. So what are you defending again?

I was trying to be civil about it, but at least I'm not the only one who's felt this vibe over this issue...facts are facts and Kyle has reported them, but, in the media, presentation and tone are everything. Words have power and one can tell the same story several different ways and with different tones, just by carefully choosing the right words (as we've seen with Newegg's "demo box" PR clusterf**k and the ensuing fallout).

If I'm wrong, I apologize to Kyle and Paul, but [H]'s presentation and tone of this issue has been sticking in my craw all weekend.

And yet you are worried about the 'tone' of the presented facts instead of the actual facts as they are presented. Are you seeing a problem here?

This is pure speculative nonsense. My first ever paying job was working in a warehouse in a Sears doing will-call work. They had a standing policy at the time when I was there that the items were to be checked either before giving them to the customer or asking the customer if they would like us/them to check out the item was as is received? This is for items sight-on-scene.

To claim that being fired or jailed would be how it works at Newegg is ridiculous. They clearly do not have a procedure/process in place to check on outgoing products. Whether they can or can't isn't my problem no is it? There is a level of trust that has to be taken from me to them that they will get this right. How they do it isn't my concern, just that's it done and that I don't get a fake/demo from them unless specifically stated that this is what I'm going to buy. I'm buying products from the sight unseen am I not? So I would think there would be a reasonable measure to make sure and check that the product I bought is the actual product they will be shipping out. Get a clue.

Egg-sactly ! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back