Anyone else bummed out that BF4 is coming out already?

Bumrush

Limp Gawd
I was out of PC gaming for a while after I bored myself of Counter Strike and never bothered to upgrade my PC. 4 years without touching a PC game. A year and a half ago I finally upgraded and starting playing BF3.. When I saw the trailer for BF4, I kept thinking that it was way too soon to release it.

Anyone miss those days of playing online FPS games for years, with tons of mods and endless game-play? It feels like BF3 was really starting to peak before the announcement.

Just my two cents..Would love to see another Quake 2 / Half Life FPS that provided entertainment value for years on end, all while the newer game took years to come to market.. Churn and burn now...

Well there are no mod tools so I'd be happy with 2 years in the current game industry. I think there is a direct connection between those tools and the lifespan of a game's community.

Hell, look at Total Annihilation, BF2, CS, etc

Quake 3 was released 2 years after Quake 2 which was released 1.5 years after Quake 1. Battlefield actually always had a rather congested release schedule.

Mod support is a different issue. There are however options out there for people to work with even using an engine that is widely used commercially (UE3). I think the better thing to examine is the interest and state of mod development for those games as well as the interest level of those games in general.

Something else to consider is that as games have gotten more complex and costly to develop the same would be true for mods. An example I'll use is Oblivion (which was rather old) and one of the concerns with the addition of voice acting was the extra work required for modders to also incorporate voice acting if they were to add content.

Can someone name a significant MP mod aside from Day-Z from a relatively modern game (or Garry's Mod if you count that)?

It literally looks like an expansion pack to BF3. Even the fucking cover art looks like that for one of the map pa...I mean, "expansions" for BF3.

images

BF is EA's way of copying WoW's revenue stream. Since MOH could'nt be to BF what BLops is to COD...BF4 is what they're offering.

EA needs a big win. They have had so many low points recently with the Sim City fiasco and lackluster support for Dead Space 3, and absolute ratings fiasco with MoW Warfighter that they need a big hit this holiday season. I don't mind this. They have always released a BF game ever 1-2 years, although some of those were stuff like BF1943 or actual expansions, so this isn't a bad choice.

I would much rather have had them make a new bad company game than BF4 though. BC2 still had that old school BF feel, BF3 felt like it was more geared towards attracting the CoD user than the old school BF players.

moneeeeeeeeeeeey!!! they want the yearly DLC-buying CoD audience

in all fairness, BF4 looks like it has even better graphics than BF3, better SP and no stupid blue-filter. This will not make me buy into a dead tired modern soldier action game genre though

Quake 3 was released 2 years after Quake 2 which was released 1.5 years after Quake 1. Battlefield actually always had a rather congested release schedule.

Mod support is a different issue. There are however options out there for people to work with even using an engine that is widely used commercially (UE3). I think the better thing to examine is the interest and state of mod development for those games as well as the interest level of those games in general.

Something else to consider is that as games have gotten more complex and costly to develop the same would be true for mods. An example I'll use is Oblivion (which was rather old) and one of the concerns with the addition of voice acting was the extra work required for modders to also incorporate voice acting if they were to add content.

Can someone name a significant MP mod aside from Day-Z from a relatively modern game (or Garry's Mod if you count that)?

Excellent post.

And, on a different note, BF3 has been one of my favorite games ever, so... yeah, I'm interested in BF4.

Well of course there is complexity in modding current games but some developers, especially DICE, do not give people the slightest bit of credit. They try to justify their stance that they are the only ones who can handle modifying the engine and it is a ridiculous attitude that should have been shot to complete and utter shit years ago. Mods like Desert Combat and Project Reality changed the face of BF2 or before that when Counter-Strike, even in beta, took the online gaming community by storm. Hell, look at what people have done with Crysis (Mechwarrior Legends conversion, damn near photo realistic visuals, etc) and now we have another mod turning into a full-fledged game with Day Z. There was just a thread too about a total conversion for Freespace (methinks?) into Battlestar Galactica---that's fuckin' awesome! And don't forget GTA or Skyrim, etc, as well. None of this stuff stops a company from turning out games at regular intervals but I think it would force them to really try to innovate instead of rehashing the same ol' shit. Too big a challenge, perhaps.

If given the chance the communities respond time and time again with creativity and enthusiasm. No one has any idea when the next Day Z will come or for what game it will be modded from in the first place. We just all know it won't be based off of Frostbite :\

Also, no suppression visible in single player.

And no. I'm quite excited about BF4. Looks amazing graphically and i'm not going to bag on better utilization of the Frostbite engine for a BF game.

definitely dont care. all the bros can spend their $60 on another map pack and i can keep my money and spend it on something worthwhile.

Didn't like BF3 and MOH:W and I won't be buying this one, in fact I'm bored of these modern FPS games, they are all the same. Its obvious EA are trying to copy Activision in releasing a new COD every year and I don't blame them for trying to rake in the profits but I wish the FPS genre would have some new innovation because there seems to be very little, if all. All FPS games these days are extremely linear and have generic gameplay.

I think he meant the time from when BF2 came out to BF3. Which was like 7 years I think.

There was other Battlefields between that (ignoring expansion packs)!

2002 - Battlefield 1942
2004 - Battlefield Vietnam (2 years)
2005 - Battlefield 2 (1 Year)
2006 - Battlefield 2142 (1 year)
2008 - Battlefield: Bad Company (2 years)
2009 - Battlefield 1943 (1 year)
2010 - Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (1 year)
2011 - Battlefield 3 (1 year)
2013 - Battlefield 4 (2 years)

So between 3 and 4 is one of the longer gaps. :D

the gameplay demo they showed looked really good they looked like next gen graphics no?? i was surprised its coming out on the old consoles.. i dont get it = \

Like it was mentioned before, this is nothing more than a standalone expansion for BF3. Why release this so soon when BF3 has SO much more that could be worked out? BF3 was a solid successor to BF2 but let's throw that one away now, right..?

I guess the BF series is headed for the Call of Duty route now. One new game every year with same engine, same textures, 3 new weapons, and just a new single player campaign. All of which could be had on the game prior to it. Smart marketing? Ok I guess, I realize people will buy it...which makes me sad, but to retain integrity? I think not.

Am I bummed that BF4 is coming out already?

No. I think BF3 is a good game, but lost a lot of what made the previous Battlefield games "Battlefield games." There isn't much that needs changed in BF3 to make it more in-tune with the previous games, so in that respect I think BF4 is promising.

Would I rather have patches to fix the issues?

Hell yes.

I consider Battlefield a $59.99 benchmark tool. Love the way it looks, but always grow to eventually hate the way it plays over time. It's nice to see them take the same engine and tweak it to look better and better. But it's EA, so of course they are going to take those graphical updates and spin them into a full retail game that's likely to be almost EXACTLY the same as it's predecessor.

Not sure how anyone can play BF3, all you do is walk around with massive bloom, fog, dust, motion blur, out of focus vision, shitty looking blue filters and lens flares 98% of the time blocking you from seeing shit.

I'll stick with CS and Quake.

Not sure how anyone can play BF3, all you do is walk around with massive bloom, fog, dust, motion blur, out of focus vision, shitty looking blue filters and lens flares 98% of the time blocking you from seeing shit.

Not sure if serious.

If you are, then you can disable Motion blur and out of focus vision is only when under suppressed fire. I also would like to see what you mean by blue filters and lens flare 98% of the time as neither off these are huge factors IMO

I didn't play BF3 since the SP campaign sucks as far as what people have told me. I might get BF4 if the SP campaign actually is worth the cash spent. I'll pass on any MP feature though.

I'm not bummed out about the time frame. I'm bummed out that EA has killed what made the Battlefield franchise great.

I don't see myself buying it. with the new battlelog and terrible server balance I just did not enjoy playing BF3 at all.

I'm not bummed out about the time frame. I'm bummed out that EA has killed what made the Battlefield franchise great.

Many people weren't that impressed with the transition of BF from PC exclusive to multiplatform.
EA/DICE are responsible for it becoming multiplatform and dumbing it down to introduce console gamers to the BF world. But...It's the only way the franchise can survive with the modern high cost of game development.

If BF4 can restore some similarities of BF2 to BF4, I think BF4 coming out this year is much needed to restore the franchise.

If there is a proper VOIP on par with Planetside 2, i MIGHT buy it.

No, it's not going to happen.

Well it comes down to MP. I'll just ignore the SP.

Many people weren't that impressed with the transition of BF from PC exclusive to multiplatform.
If BF4 can restore some similarities of BF2 to BF4, I think BF4 coming out this year is much needed to restore the franchise.

I got to Rank 25 in BF3 and then gave up. Game is far too infuriating and hardly anyone works as a team. Plus, hackers, no in-game voice chat, etc. etc...

Fuck it. Not buying BF4 unless it's like $20 or less probably. Unless, as you said, they totally re-do it to be more like BF2. I just don't see that happening, though.

I was one of the few people who actually enjoyed the BF3 SP/co-op missions.

I got to Rank 25 in BF3 and then gave up. Game is far too infuriating and hardly anyone works as a team. Plus, hackers, no in-game voice chat, etc. etc...

Fuck it. Not buying BF4 unless it's like $20 or less probably. Unless, as you said, they totally re-do it to be more like BF2. I just don't see that happening, though.

I was one of the few people who actually enjoyed the BF3 SP/co-op missions.

The BF introduction to console gamers with BC2 and BF3 is complete.
From here, they can allow more complex gameplay, especially on next gen hardware.
Crysis 2 went through the same transition, and now Crysis 3 did away with the annoying talking suit and hand-holding.

But...we'll have to see. If this was a 2014 release I would be more positive, but a 2013 release without much time with the console hardware brings up red flags.

I'm rank C100 but I enjoy BF games in general. Not so much of a purist.

I really wanted to like BF3. I was super excited for it. It just wasn't enjoyable as someone who has put countless hours into BF1942 and BF2.

I really wanted to like BF3. I was super excited for it. It just wasn't enjoyable as someone who has put countless hours into BF1942 and BF2.
Was it lack of modes/features, altered gameplay or bugs?
BF2 PC exclusive. BF3 Multiplatform. Some features/mechanics can't be copied and pasted between PC and consoles.

Maybe, just maybe, we get more this time.
The good thing is that you don't have to pre-order or pay for it day one.

You forgot the supernova sun :p

Was it lack of modes/features, altered gameplay or bugs?
BF2 PC exclusive. BF3 Multiplatform. Some features/mechanics can't be copied and pasted between PC and consoles.

Maybe, just maybe, we get more this time.
The good thing is that you don't have to pre-order or pay for it day one.

Basically everything except the graphics, which were great. No voice chat which is ESSENTIAL to a teamwork game. No bots (co-op at LANs was one of the major things we did with the other BF games). Major balance issues that may or may not have been fixed since I last played. Modes were okay. Having to use Battlelog + Origin was just obnoxious and felt unnecessary. No modding capabilities, no local dedicated servers...

So yeah, a lot of issues that I don't see them fixing with BF4 and would be astounded if they actually did. I wouldn't ever hold my breath to expect benevolence out of EA, though.

And Unreal Tournament , OFT. :cool:

Not sure what we've got here. I'd rather have more Battlefield than less. If they tweak and improve the experience and give us fresh maps I'm in. I'd like to see VOIP brought back to PC. Ultimately, I prefer Battlefield's take on the military shooter over Call of Duty, so if they bring one out every year I won't complain.

Frankly Battlefield is the only game of this entire generation that has held my attention. Even Crysis 3, despite its technical accomplishments, I can barely finish.

The only disappointment on my side is that I really would have preferred a return to World War II with the next installment.

Basically everything except the graphics, which were great. No voice chat which is ESSENTIAL to a teamwork game. No bots (co-op at LANs was one of the major things we did with the other BF games). Major balance issues that may or may not have been fixed since I last played. Modes were okay. Having to use Battlelog + Origin was just obnoxious and felt unnecessary. No modding capabilities, no local dedicated servers...

So yeah, a lot of issues that I don't see them fixing with BF4 and would be astounded if they actually did. I wouldn't ever hold my breath to expect benevolence out of EA, though.

I actually get quite a kick out of mods. It's REALLY disappointing to see those removed but also having watched the gameplay videos while graphics are somewhat improved it still feels rushed. I suspect even fans will be disappointed with the amount of actual content in this release.

I bought BF3 day one because of the visuals. Origin issues aside, I don't see why I would ever buy another battlefield game when I can just pop into Planetside 2 and play with 100+ other people for free any day I want.

Like any Online game ever than? Teamwork is the exception rather than the rule! :D

True enough...but voice chat and actual incentives for teamwork would go a long way to helping the situation! I admit they did alright with the kill assist and suppression points to try to make teamwork more appealing, but apparently it's not enough.

Like any Online game ever than? Teamwork is the exception rather than the rule! :D

Maybe, just maybe, if the game wasn't so COD-like, people would be forced to work as a team (seriously, vehicle health regen?)

And lack of voice chat *sigh*

Back