Any Sandy Bridge m-ITX coming? Any news?

I don't think thats accurate as all the Sandy Bridge CPU's will have it's clock tied to a fixed value. Can't remember the reson on this but it's a fact. In that case none support overclocking unless it's an unlocked multiplier CPU, those are the ones ending with a K.

I don't think chipset plays any role on that. I might be wrong tho.

I have a realy hard time to think that you can't even change the multipel on a H67 if you have a "K" cpu.

So i think/hope that is BS, or that Asus or Gigabyte fix it on the "Gigabyte H67N-USB3" and "Asus P8H67-I Deluxe"

looks like the new GA-H67N-USB3 also adds 6Gbs SATA. Two are blue and two are white, then I noticed 6Gbs Sata written down by the DIMM slots.

I don't think thats accurate as all the Sandy Bridge CPU's will have it's clock tied to a fixed value. Can't remember the reson on this but it's a fact. In that case none support overclocking unless it's an unlocked multiplier CPU, those are the ones ending with a K.

I don't think chipset plays any role on that. I might be wrong tho.

I hope you're right because I sold my old 1156 system for Sandy Bridge ITX. *hold hands*
Although i7 2600k running at stock 3.4ghz is already fast enough. :)

So here's a list so far for H67 ITX boards:
ASRock H67M-ITX pictured here
ASUS P8H67-I pictured here
ECS H67H-I pictured here (scroll down)
Gigabyte GA-H67-USB3 pictured here
Intel pictured here
MSI here

Anyone know of any others that have been announced or spotted in the wild? Regardless, this is a great initial selection if all are available at launch. I am definitely counting down until January 4th (Intel's CES press event).

There are two Zotacs also mentioned on the Forum. Just like the MSI they dont have PCIe16x, only 1x and no wifi. Must be catering to the HTPC crowd. Only ASRock and Asus will have wifi. Seems like you should be able to find a board that fits what you want or need.

Not sure about the 8 sata plugs, but the minix AMD board has dual giga LANs. Think it only has 4 sata plugs. Its the only mITX I know of with dual LANs and isnt ATOM powered.

DP - should be getting a part by about 10JAN, if everything works, I'll have 8 SATA drives on a mITX board running smoothly (without using the 16x PCIe expansion slot) -- no dual LAN or Sandy Bridge, though :p

Not sure about the 8 sata plugs, but the minix AMD board has dual giga LANs. Think it only has 4 sata plugs. Its the only mITX I know of with dual LANs and isnt ATOM powered.

I suppose 8 SATA ports isn't something most people are after! Would be nice to have something using the sandy new low wattage CPUs with the ability to drive the full 8 plugs!

DP - should be getting a part by about 10JAN, if everything works, I'll have 8 SATA drives on a mITX board running smoothly (without using the 16x PCIe expansion slot) -- no dual LAN or Sandy Bridge, though :p

Which board is this? I'm hoping for something low powered then can fit 6 drives and 1 optical without using costly SATA expanders. I'm looking at Atoms, because of the low power usuage, but if something a with a bit more storage without the expanders (atom boards have maximum of 4, or one weird board with 2+4 Raid only) then i'll go for that (if it's cheaper than atom+expander. Biggest I can go is mDTX because of case mod idea!

Last edited:
Which board is this? I'm hoping for something low powered then can fit 6 drives and 1 optical without using costly SATA expanders. I'm looking at Atoms, because of the low power usuage, but if something a with a bit more storage without the expanders (atom boards have maximum of 4, or one weird board with 2+4 Raid only) then i'll go for that (if it's cheaper than atom+expander. Biggest I can go is mDTX because of case mod idea!

I'm working on getting a raid board to work in the mini-pcie card slot on my zotac h55itx-a-e. That would be 2 SATA via the mini-pcie and 6 SATA via the onboard connectors.

Pinouts of the card and socket line up, I just need the part to get here (on the slow boat, I guess) so I can see if the option is there in the BIOS to boot from mini-PCIe, if not, I'll have to PCI option inject and replace the boot-on-LAN option with a little custom goodness ;)

Should have the first test on it by the 2nd week of Jan (when the part is supposed to arrive), if I have to go the custom bios route it might be quite a bit longer, lol.

Seems that several Sandy Bridge motherboards have been released and priced. I couldnt find any ITX boards, but all the mATX and ATX boards appeared to have about the same price as the equivalent 1156 boards. Sounds good to me.

It appears every single mini-itx sandy bridge motherboard of this coming generation will be a hodge podge of USB2 with only a few USB3 ports. I don't want USB2 ports on the back panel or to be forced to use USB2 internally or on the front panel. That's a pretty glaring deficiency for a motherboard meant for future devices so will opt out until the next generation.

Even mostfull size boards have a lot of USB2.0 ports, it's cheap and not everything requieres USB3.0

Yea I wont be getting a sandy bridge mITX.. I will wait for bulldozer, but I hope that they pack alot of neat shit into the sandy bridge ones so that the manufacturers will be ready to give me everything in one little board like the Asus mITX board did this current generation.

So here's a list so far for H67 ITX boards:
Intel pictured here
MSI here

Anyone know of any others that have been announced or spotted in the wild? Regardless, this is a great initial selection if all are available at launch. I am definitely counting down until January 4th (Intel's CES press event).

Thanks for compiling this list, it's nice to have all of the motherboards in one place.

I just want to know when they will be available. I would even get one before the SB release to have it ready and waiting! I hope Asus has a good hard launch since that one is first choice.

anyone have any specs on the gigabyte itx board? im hoping for intel LAN and audio

Zotac is also producing a sandy bridge ITX mother board. It can be pictured here

It looks like this one will have 6 sata ports available. Other notable is that it has two antennae.

So the list of sandy bridge ITX boards now looks like this (originally compiled by madthio)

Intel pictured here
MSI here
Zotac here

If I was build an ITX server I would have to get the Zotac board with all those SATA connections. Since I am not, it is now tied for second choice in my list for an 1155 board. I like the fact it has built in wifi, but wish it had USB 3. (not thatI have anything in that format... yet)

Just keep in mind only 2 of those ports are SATA 6g. Similarly only 2 of the USB ports on the back panel are USB 3. The thing I like about zotac though is the expansion card slot currently occupied by wifi. That could be very useful for itx which is otherwise very limited on expansion possibilities.

Ok, after re-reading the article and seeing that it does have USB 3 (even if only 2 ports), the Zotac board is now tied for first choice with the Asus board. I know the Asus board only has 4 Sata ports, but hey, I only have 4 sata devices to hook up, 1 ODD and 3 HDD.

One more popped up on the radar this morning: the Foxconn H67S.

According to the photo, this one has a better placement of the CPU relative to the PCIe x16 slot. This may enable much more space for bigger coolers than any of the other manufacturer's designs. Downside for me is no support stated for DDR3/1600. On the other hand, the manufactuerr's website states that it holds 4 dimms, which it clearly doesn't, so maybe they'll revise it.

One more popped up on the radar this morning: the Foxconn H67S.

According to the photo, this one has a better placement of the CPU relative to the PCIe x16 slot. This may enable much more space for bigger coolers than any of the other manufacturer's designs. Downside for me is no support stated for DDR3/1600. On the other hand, the manufactuerr's website states that it holds 4 dimms, which it clearly doesn't, so maybe they'll revise it.

Of the ones above that would now be my 1st choice.. I like the asus board better for the msot part, but given the premium & I am tired of fucking BLUE components the CPU placement on this foxconn would edge it out..

Of the ones above that would now be my 1st choice.. I like the asus board better for the msot part, but given the premium & I am tired of fucking BLUE components the CPU placement on this foxconn would edge it out..

Cmon man, you just built that AMD system... are you really going to scrap it for the sandy bridge when it comes out? I like your build and I am going to do something extremely similar in two weeks once the reviews are in. The only difference will be that mine will be a LGA1155 once they are available.

It seems that it does not support USB 3.0. I think that`s a no-go for most of people since with itx you have to rely more on external connectivity.
Also 3 sata ports, with all of them only 3gb, is below current standards.

It`s a shame foxconn saved some pennies here, on an otherwise good mainboard (or at least with a good layout).

regards
mariachi76

Does any of the mentioned boards support raid 0/1, if possible on sata 6gb ports?

regards
mariachi76

I never said I was going to build a SB system... I said "Of the ones above".. I am an admintant AMD Fanboy so I will be holding out for bulldozer/bobcat

Does anyone know if the x16 port and the integrated graphics of sandy bridge like they have been on some past intel stuff? If they are then that could explain why vendors are reluctant to put an x16 slot on their mini-itx board.

Does anyone know if the x16 port and the integrated graphics of sandy bridge like they have been on some past intel stuff? If they are then that could explain why vendors are reluctant to put an x16 slot on their mini-itx board.

WTF are you talking about.. More of the 1156 boards had an x16 slot then didnt & of the 1155 boards looks to me like all but 1 has an x16 slot.

I never said I was going to build a SB system... I said "Of the ones above".. I am an admintant AMD Fanboy so I will be holding out for bulldozer/bobcat

I was originally going ot build an AMD machine, but when wife put me on hold and SB became an option I started thinking that way. Course, if the stuff is too expensive, I might still build an AMD machine.

That Foxconn board is interesting, but I really want 4 sata ports.

Xbit Labs - sandy bridge preview

The part that I thought was most intrigued with was the section on overclocking.

Regular overclocking...can expect quite a few serious changes...The main issue is that this clock frequency generator is the only one in the system and it is responsible for generating all the frequencies. And as we know, not all busses and controllers can actually tolerate overclocking that well...

The facts are as follows. Sandy Bridge processors have their clock generator frequency set at 100 MHz...However, any attempts to increase this frequency rapidly lead to system instability or failure. At this point we don’t know about any successful attempts to push the clock generator frequency beyond 105 MHz. In other words, the time tested overclocking method of raising clock generator frequency doesn’t work in Sandy Bridge processors and can only allow a 5% increase at best...So the only way to overclock the upcoming LGA1155 processors is to increase their clock frequency multiplier.

The owners of ordinary CPUs will be offered artificially limited overclocking: these CPUs will also let you increase their clock multiplier, but only by four increments tops

It seems that it does not support USB 3.0. I think that`s a no-go for most of people since with itx you have to rely more on external connectivity.
Also 3 sata ports, with all of them only 3gb, is below current standards.

It`s a shame foxconn saved some pennies here, on an otherwise good mainboard (or at least with a good layout).

regards
mariachi76

I am not sure if it supports USB3.0 or not... Foxconn's own websites seem to disagree with one another. There is another press release that says:

All 6-series motherboards are equipped with USB 3.0, the next-generation data transfer technology and promises super fast transmissions up to ten times the speed of USB 2.0.

There's also a Spanish website that reviewed it today, saying USB3.0 is present. Guess we'll have to wait to see...

In the summary table at the bottom of the page at the link you provided the mini-itx board is the only one which has no Usb3.
Could you post a link to the spanish review?

Regards, mariachi76

Last edited:
Back