Any news on BattleField 4 ?

The Second Assault expansion pack is 4 of the "most fan-favorite maps from Battlefield 3" LOLOLOL: http://www.battlefield.com/battlefi...rce=Battlelog&utm_medium=PreorderBf4&websso=1

Charging us for maps that aren't even 2 years old.

I'm guessing it's gonna be Operation Metro, Caspian Border, Kharg Island, and one other map.

I don't mind $15 to port Caspian, kharg and firestorm forward into BF4, especially since that'll be the only way to keep playing them since BF3 will become a ghost town. They're classic maps.

I don't mind $15 to port Caspian, kharg and firestorm forward into BF4, especially since that'll be the only way to keep playing them since BF3 will become a ghost town. They're classic maps.

bet it will be Metro, Seine, Bazaar, and Caspian...which is fine by me since i enjoy them all :D

bet it will be Metro, Seine, Bazaar, and Caspian...which is fine by me since i enjoy them all :D

i shouldnt have to pay for those maps at all since i bought premium only a year ago. thats a load of shit.

Digging the new level of verticality, and FINALLY commander is coming back. But besides that it doesn't look a whole lot better than BF3. Whether I buy or not pretty much hinges entirely on how they implement VOIP again.

Digging the new level of verticality, and FINALLY commander is coming back. But besides that it doesn't look a whole lot better than BF3. Whether I buy or not pretty much hinges entirely on how they implement VOIP again.

Forget about the look. The gameplay, which is most important, is so much better.

Forget about the look. The gameplay, which is most important, is so much better.

It certainly looks a lot more fine-tuned. The HUD elements, the minimization/de-emphasis of the text that rolls when you score a kill (in BF3 its pretty big and colorful, not quite COD big but distracting and can obscure your view in an intense situation). Certainly much cleaner, more fine-tuned, more minimalistic in a lot of places that really needed it.

Gameplay looks very similar but thats not a bad thing. The map featured in the MP footage looks like a marriage of a map from Close Quarters (fleshed out, art deco interiors in the highrise part after the elevator) and the outdoor feel of Markaz Monolith from Aftermath, but with nice looking high rises obviously - meaning theoretically there's something for both the infantry-only type players and vehicle whores alike in a single map.

Can't wait to try out the chinese attack heli, looks bad ass.

The thing is, BF3 didn't need huge wholesale changes to make it a great game. A tweak here, a few added features there, and it could be a game for the ages. Whether or not BF4 will be that game, I have no idea. But even if it isn't a massive departure from it's predecessor I'm OK with that; BF3 was pretty good, hopefully they learned the right lessons from that. Early indications would seem to warrant a bit of optimism.

I really thought BF4 was going to be a complete rehash of BF3. But it looks like they really listened to the community and added the things people wanted: 5 man squads, commander, VOIP, etc. I'm pleasantly surprised and hopeful.

i shouldnt have to pay for those maps at all since i bought premium only a year ago. thats a load of shit.

well then don't pay for them. this horse was beaten and fondled when Back to Karkand DLC was released.

wauw commander is back, 'levolution' and knife counter - lol

Looks and I really hope they really improved on destruction.

As a pubber, that's mainly dependent on VOIP integration. If I can have a good, fun and tactical game when I jump in with strangers, then the gameplay will be much much better for me.

As a pubber, that's mainly dependent on VOIP integration. If I can have a good, fun and tactical game when I jump in with strangers, then the gameplay will be much much better for me.

I'm still looking for info on VOIP. That's the only announcement missing.

But for now, August Beta?

oooo, the MP trailer has me pumped! Commander is fucking back! Not to mention 5 man squads, would prefer 6, and it looks like BF2's spec ops class is coming back as recon.

Has there been any word on remaking any BF2 maps?

All the improvements I have seen is shit that should have been in BF3 from the outset, amazing that they can remove long standing features and reintroduce them whilst expecting to be applauded by their adoring sheeple fans. Just reinforces my view that BF3 was a half baked pile of shit rushed to market to beat MW3. Calling this BF 3.5 is well warranted, all the improvements could be patched into BF3 but why do that when you can make people pay for a whole new game.

All the improvements I have seen is shit that should have been in BF3 from the outset, amazing that they can remove long standing features and reintroduce them whilst expecting to be applauded by their adoring sheeple fans. Just reinforces my view that BF3 was a half baked pile of shit rushed to market to beat MW3. Calling this BF 3.5 is well warranted, all the improvements could be patched into BF3 but why do that when you can make people pay for a whole new game.

Much of what is wrong with gaming, summarized above. Hype for BF8 and CoD13 on these forums? :(

Yep agreed. Watching these new BF4 videos today, I'm thinking, hey this is what a BF3 expansion should have been, doesn't feel or look like a whole new next gen game, like BF2 to BF3, this is definitely BF3.5 at best.

And in come the haters to shout everyone down. I think if I hated something, I would find something else to think about. I hope so anyway.

I really thought BF4 was going to be a complete rehash of BF3. But it looks like they really listened to the community and added the things people wanted: 5 man squads, commander, VOIP, etc. I'm pleasantly surprised and hopeful.

It's more like they finished what BF3 was supposed to be. Kinda like how Microsoft put out Vista as a stepping stone to the real product (Windows Seven). The VOIP, Commander, larger squads, destructible environments, and other miscellaneous things were simply not finished, my guess.

I'm disappointed that a lot of the US vehicles are making a comeback. The UH1 and Cobra are there again. How about mixing it up? UH60's and Apache. They just ported them forward. I'd rather have them replace the US Marines with a NATO force. Give us access to different vehicles altogether.

"Press x to enter the boat"

Xbox?

Look closely at the top right screen during the gameplay, looks like a backspace key and the words "battlelog"

Is that saying hit the backspace key to access battlelog? Sounds like a PC with an xbox controller.

Could be the "back" button on controllers. I'd assume the consoles will have battlelog now.

Last edited:
I'm disappointed that a lot of the US vehicles are making a comeback. The UH1 and Cobra are there again. How about mixing it up? UH60's and Apache. They just ported them forward. I'd rather have them replace the US Marines with a NATO force. Give us access to different vehicles altogether.

You answered your own question: because Marines. Agreed on switching up the military branch to something else, maybe a mixture.

Time to start saving for a Radeon 9970.

Gonna be a bitch trying to run this on a 6950 at 1440p.

Last edited:
The trailer looked great, it really looks like the next step from BF3, and definitely has me stoked to play. Slightly disappointed that isn't quite the graphical step up I was hoping for, but perhaps that was on one of the new consoles?

Ok, so who else said that they weren't going to buy the game but now are going to buy the game? :p

I guess I'll do the pre-order a week before release. :eek:

This reminds of me Crysis 2 when it was released on consoles. Extremely dumbed down to introduce the franchsie to console gamers.
Then BF3, dumbed down to introduce the franchise to console gamers.

Both games were restored back to it's roots the very next installment after the console gamers became familiar with the gameplay.
When a PC game goes multiplayer for the first time, watch out i.e. Dragon Age 2. EA seems to have a complex about this.

It's more like they finished what BF3 was supposed to be. Kinda like how Microsoft put out Vista as a stepping stone to the real product (Windows Seven). The VOIP, Commander, larger squads, destructible environments, and other miscellaneous things were simply not finished, my guess.
I honestly never really played Battlefield 2 so I didn't miss those things. So I enjoyed BF3 for what it was. I missed the destructible environments of Bad Company 2 though, and that's something they appear to have fixed in BF4 along with the rest of the improvements they added back. I don't really mind that they released it as a new game. It was two years since BF3 was out, so it's not really COD obnoxious yet.

You answered your own question: because Marines. Agreed on switching up the military branch to something else, maybe a mixture.

I didn't answer my own question. It was implied that they should mix it up by not rehashing the Marines (and thereby the same vehicles). Hence the NATO comment.

At this point, the Coast Guard would be an improvement :]

I didn't answer my own question. It was implied that they should mix it up by not rehashing the Marines (and thereby the same vehicles). Hence the NATO comment.

At this point, the Coast Guard would be an improvement :]

Why would NATO be fighting the Chinese?

Totally agree. Still though, I am forever a BF faithful and I will definitely get this day 1.

The new MP trailer actually looked bad ass. Hopefully that whole map is playable in one mode...also DICE, please, please remove the optic *glint*. That's all I want.

This reminds of me Crysis 2 when it was released on consoles. Extremely dumbed down to introduce the franchsie to console gamers.

Both games were restored back to it's roots the very next installment after the console gamers became familiar with the gameplay.

This.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL multiplayer looks exactly like BF3. Way to go DICE!

Perfect. It only needed a few tweaks.
If they turned this into ARMA or something else we didn't recognize, it would fail.

Expect something different when they make a completely different engine again.

When a PC game goes multiplayer for the first time, watch out i.e. Dragon Age 2. EA seems to have a complex about this.

Except DICE doesnt really have the benefit of that excuse seeing as modern combat, BC1 and BC2 were all released on consoles.

Perfect. It only needed a few tweaks.
If they turned this into ARMA or something else we didn't recognize, it would fail.

Yeah, tweaks to make it more like every BF game which came before it...very ironic if you ask me. And I don't think anyone wanted it turned into ArmA, they wanted a BF game which BF3 arguably failed to deliver on several fronts.

Back