Any abit AB9 QuadGT users?

@JucyTEC: I'm getting my QuadGT in the mail today, so I might be able to help you with settings tonight or something, but you definately shouldn't need 2.4v on the RAM for 531mhz at 5-5-5-15.

You might also be at the limit of your chip. I've heard that the L2 rev of the 6300/6400 CPUs doesn't OC as well as the B2. What's the week of your CPU? It should be on the box, something like L644G.

@JucyTEC: I'm getting my QuadGT in the mail today, so I might be able to help you with settings tonight or something, but you definately shouldn't need 2.4v on the RAM for 531mhz at 5-5-5-15.

You might also be at the limit of your chip. I've heard that the L2 rev of the 6300/6400 CPUs doesn't OC as well as the B2. What's the week of your CPU? It should be on the box, something like L644G.

Ooo nice... well the BOX is Long Gone...

so I wouldn't know which week this was from... Unless there's somekind of String that i can look up using a 3rd party software.

I put my E6320 back in the QuadGT yet again. On 1.35v and @ 3.0GHz it runs 10-12C cooler at load and idle than the E6600 under the same conditions. The E6600 was bought when C2D first went retail and of course the E6320 is new. So Intel may have made some improvements.

The E6320 will boot and run 3150MHz fine on 1.35v and it's not Orthos Blend stable using that voltage. It's highest Orthos Blend clock on 1.35v is a flat 3.0GHz. I need to fiddle with NB voltages and others to make sure they weren't to blame. I didn't alter any voltages when I tested 3150MHz.

I am testing 3.4GHz on the E6320 with Orthos Blend now.

The nice thing about 965 as compared to 975 is you don't have to volt up your NB to score a 400+ FSB. So far I've been fine with up to 450 on the lowest board voltages. I'll test later and see where I need to start ramping up. I've been jumping all over the place with clocks and voltages trying to locate the E6320s max.

What would be the proper voltage for me!?

I have an E6400 current putting 1.48v on it to get 3400MHz

dragonorta, U mentioned something about 2.4v being too much for 537MHz, while this is true with most RAM modules, Crucial Ballistix 6400 requires minimim of 2.2 at stock speeds. When i set it to 1.9v it was failing Orthos. 2.4 seems adequet for 537MHz, as I saw on some reviews they required 2.5v for 550MHz or 1100 speeds.

so if i want to hit 3.6 GHz...

What CPU Voltage should i set? (E6400)
VTT?
ICH?... etc.

and is it safe to set 2.5 volts to ballistix?

Keep in mind i have aircooled north bridge, and watercooled cpu.

all chipsets including the PWM has arctic silver 5 on them.

and final question...

What strap for CPU and RAM?? <=-= this is still a confusion to me.
i'm rock solid on 3.4GHz right now at 1066/533 strap CPU FSB @ 425 x8

I want to achieve 450 x 8 = 3600 Is this even possible??

Current ram Timing is set to 5-5-5-15-2T @ 2.4v @ 537MHz

thanks in advance to all

With loose timings of 5-5-5-15, you shouldn't need 2.4v. I would probably set it to 2.2-2.25v and see how it fares with that.

I'm thinking about getting a QuadGT, but I have a couple questions after doing a little research. The computer is going to be a workstation with some gaming thrown in.. I'm mostly looking for stability with maybe a little overclocking thrown in as long as it remains stable during long animation renders. Also, not planning on SLI or RAID, though RAID could be a possibility in the future if large HD projects demand it.

Does the IDE controller have to be enabled for the eSata ports to work? I don't know why it would be setup like that, but I got that impression from some posts somewhere. I was planning on going IDE-less, so I was thinking I would just disable the IDE controller in BIOS, but I want those eSata ports to work for external drives.

Secondly, is there any word about 1333 fsb compatability with this board? I would like it to be as future-proof as possible.

Also, I'm most likely going with 4 gb ram (Maya, After Effects), are there any issues with having all 4 ram slots filled? I'm also partial to Crucial ram, so it will most likely be 4 Crucial 800mhz sticks.

Also, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit.. It's a workstation, but it will also be my main computer, so internet/movies/gaming will be done on it too with an 8800gts.

What would be the proper voltage for me!?

I have an E6400 current putting 1.48v on it to get 3400MHz

dragonorta, U mentioned something about 2.4v being too much for 537MHz, while this is true with most RAM modules, Crucial Ballistix 6400 requires minimim of 2.2 at stock speeds. When i set it to 1.9v it was failing Orthos. 2.4 seems adequet for 537MHz, as I saw on some reviews they required 2.5v for 550MHz or 1100 speeds.

so if i want to hit 3.6 GHz...

What CPU Voltage should i set? (E6400) Hardware varies and there is no magic number. I'd guess betweeen 1.53-1.55v for you to hold 3.6.
VTT? You're going to have to experiment. I'd guess 1.35-1.45v for the MCH. 1.30 for CPU VTT. I'd try ICH and others at default and if that doesn't work go up one value until it does.
ICH?... etc.

and is it safe to set 2.5 volts to ballistix? Personally, I wouldn't use more than 2.35v on ram 24/7, and post 2.3v I'd use active cooling. I've heard more than a few people say that extended use of 2.5v or more will often kill ram, and that could be a bogus assertion. I don't plan on testing it with my ram.

Keep in mind i have aircooled north bridge, and watercooled cpu. If you could WC your NB it will help a lot when you pump up the voltage.

all chipsets including the PWM has arctic silver 5 on them.

and final question...

What strap for CPU and RAM?? <=-= this is still a confusion to me.
i'm rock solid on 3.4GHz right now at 1066/533 strap CPU FSB @ 425 x8 Stay on 533 or 1:1 for now. If you make 3.6 and it's stable you can try a divider and I'd get 1:1 stable first.

I want to achieve 450 x 8 = 3600 Is this even possible?? Yes, it is quite possible unless your chip is gimped. As above I'd try 533 aka 1:1 now with loose ram timings until you hit your max and get it stable.

Current ram Timing is set to 5-5-5-15-2T @ 2.4v @ 537MHz Keep it lax while you are trying to max your chip. Relax it to 5-6-6-18 with a 56-60 tRFC while you are after stability and finding you max clock. You can always tighten it up later.

thanks in advance to all

See above.

I just put together a Core 2 Duo system based on the E6420 and an Abit QuadGT motherboard.

I've done some testing with this combination, and I can easily pass orthos at 8x449FSB = 3592 MHz at default voltage on everything except vcore (1.55v).

But it seems like there's a BIG wall for anything beyond 450 FSB. At 450 FSB, i need to increase the north bridge voltage from 1.25 to 1.60v just to be able to boot into windows, and it's not even orthos stable.

I've tried to lower the multiplier to 7x and still the same FSB wall. Nothing stable beyond 450+.

I am wondering if this is a CPU limit or a motherboard limit? Thanks for the help! I know the cpu can go higher! But I'm limited by the FSB.

eVGA 8800 GTS 640MB @ 630 core / 985 mem
Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme w/ Scythe S-Flex SFF21F 120mm fan
Antec P180B case with P182 chassis
OCZ Powerstream 520W SLI Ready PSU
Plextor 716A 16X DVD+/- DL Writer
2 x WD 250GB RAID 0 + 2 X WD 250GB RAID 0 = 1 TB

Does the IDE controller have to be enabled for the eSata ports to work? I don't know why it would be setup like that, but I got that impression from some posts somewhere. I was planning on going IDE-less, so I was thinking I would just disable the IDE controller in BIOS, but I want those eSata ports to work for external drives.
the IDE port & eSATA ports are on the same controller, a JMicron.

Secondly, is there any word about 1333 fsb compatability with this board? I would like it to be as future-proof as possible.
I've seen screenies of it running a native 1333fsb CPU fine.

Also, I'm most likely going with 4 gb ram (Maya, After Effects), are there any issues with having all 4 ram slots filled? I'm also partial to Crucial ram, so it will most likely be 4 Crucial 800mhz sticks.
4 DIMMs seems to be fine & Ballistix is a good match.

[F8];1031029881 said:
I'm really disappointed in this motherboard...

It really didn't give me any challenges trying to overclock. It was just too damn easy
seems a common statement with a QuadGT :)

I'm really liking this board so far. Dark blue pcb, pretty blue leds underneath, easy to work on.

After a full day of tweaking my e6420, I'm stuck at 400x8. Anything slightly higher and it craps out in orthos. Looks like I might have a crippled 2nd core, but I still have a few more things to try and I'm still waiting for hardware to throw my storm wb on it.

Guess I need to drop the multi to 7 and see if I can get the fsb any hgher than 400 stable.

The final 1.3 bios is available on the FTP site!
Time to revisit that overclocking limit and benchmarking.
I was not having any problems so performance is what I would like to see improve. The real problem is probably my CPU. One can only hope.

Well, I just flashed to Bios 13 and now CPUz 1.40 is correctly reporting my Vcore, whereas it wasn't with Bios 11. That's also a good change, so there are probably little tweaks mixed in that weren't mentioned.

*Father Gregori voice* : "Better and better, Abit!" :D

How is the stock NB cooling on this thing? I was thinking of upgrading to the Thermalright HR-05, but it looks like I'll have to remove the cooling from the mosfets too, and I don't wanna do that at all :(

I'll be buying this board on the 19th I think.

How is the stock NB cooling on this thing? I was thinking of upgrading to the Thermalright HR-05, but it looks like I'll have to remove the cooling from the mosfets too, and I don't wanna do that at all :(

The stock heatpipes are minimalist (thank you, Abit) and get the job done well enough. The NB only gets warm to the touch, and it's easy enough to plop a 40mm on there if you want. Let us know how it goes once you get the board! ;)

Will do. I graduate college on the 18th. My money from everyone is getting me a new PC finally. My last PC was a high school graduation gift. Only upgrade has been a 6800 Ultra :(.

Abit AB9 QuadGT
Intel Core 2 Duo E6320
Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 2GB (2x1GB)
eVGA nVidia GeForce 8800GTX
Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10K RPM
Samsung DVD Burner
NZXT Adamas Black
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm
SeaSonic M12 SS-600HM

That's what I am getting :)

Will do. I graduate college on the 18th. My money from everyone is getting me a new PC finally. My last PC was a high school graduation gift. Only upgrade has been a 6800 Ultra :(.

Abit AB9 QuadGT
Intel Core 2 Duo E6320
Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 2GB (2x1GB)
eVGA nVidia GeForce 8800GTX
Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10K RPM
Samsung DVD Burner
NZXT Adamas Black
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm
SeaSonic M12 SS-600HM

That's what I am getting :)

If I could make a suggestion... I own two sets of DDR2 1066, the Dominators you're eyeing in your list, and the ELK kit from Patriot. I highly recommend the Patriot, for several reasons; It's cheaper ($189 @ Newegg, w/ $40 Mail-in Rebate = $149), it can run tighter timings, and lastly it's just much more compatible with boards compared to the Dominators, which can get bitchy on some boards. Your rig, your dollars, your call. But with the Dominators at $239, you could run with the Patriot and apply the $90 saved towards an E6600 (E6320 - $168 vs. E6600 - $226), and have enough left over for a pizza and a six-pack. Faster timings, faster proc, beer.;)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220161

Oh, and congrats on graduating! Now get a job, ya bum. :D

If you're planning on overclocking to only 3.1GHz or less save your cash and just get the E6320. Mine does that stock. I've got it volted up to a flat 3.4 GHz now. Of course if you are after what should be an easy 3.6GHz go E6600. 400 x 9 is nothing for this board.

My board is running naked on top of the box it came in and with a little bit of extra v on the nb it gets a little warm. I just leaned a 120mm fan to blow the otes and every thing is nice and cool.

Maybe if I get real ambitious tomorrow I'll tear apart my case to take out the opty and get this sucker under some nice cool water. I really want to flush my loop out and get some pretty blue pentosin to match all these blue lights and fans I got.

Anyone had any success with the 1.3 BIOS? Any benefit other then the ethernet fix? I have no ethernet problem to fix and I am trying to decide if I am going to flash the new BIOS.

My mobo got bricked by a bad BIOS flash a while back. I won't be flashing it from 1.1 unless they release one with 1333 support. I don't have a problem with my ethernet so I am not risking it. Right now I don't have any issues.

If I could make a suggestion... I own two sets of DDR2 1066, the Dominators you're eyeing in your list, and the ELK kit from Patriot. I highly recommend the Patriot, for several reasons; It's cheaper ($189 @ Newegg, w/ $40 Mail-in Rebate = $149), it can run tighter timings, and lastly it's just much more compatible with boards compared to the Dominators, which can get bitchy on some boards. Your rig, your dollars, your call. But with the Dominators at $239, you could run with the Patriot and apply the $90 saved towards an E6600 (E6320 - $168 vs. E6600 - $226), and have enough left over for a pizza and a six-pack. Faster timings, faster proc, beer.;)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220161

Oh, and congrats on graduating! Now get a job, ya bum. :D

Well, right now on NewEgg, with rebates, the Corsair is $179 and the Patriot is $195. I'll look around though and see what kind of review the Patriot gets.

Just ordered this board from Newegg, along with the E6420. Looks like it will be a nice combination. Is there a Windows based BIOS flasher that I can use with this motherboard? I don't even have a floppy drive anymore. My current motherboard is an Asus and flashing from Windows worked fine with no problems. I'd like to do that again. :) Thanks.

Anyone in their travels with the QuadGT come across a beta bios for the IB9? I'm not sure where Abit keeps their beta bioses :). Figure one of you guys might be able to help me out.

I'm not sure where Abit keeps their beta bioses :). .
usually they are sent out individually to customers by tech. support.
We try to keep the beta BIOS thread on abit-USA as upto date as we can - soon as we become aware of & can get a copy of a new file we host & list it.

What chipset cooling (water blocks) can you use with this? I have a DD 875/975 block, but it uses the hooks instead of push-pins. :(

usually they are sent out individually to customers by tech. support.
We try to keep the beta BIOS thread on abit-USA as upto date as we can - soon as we become aware of & can get a copy of a new file we host & list it.

Thanks guys. I ended up getting them from the abit-usa forums. Definitely much better than the release bios.

"Is there a Windows based BIOS flasher that I can use with this motherboard?" I answered my own question. The CDROM that was included with the motherboard has a utility on it which allows you to flash the BIOS from Windows. It worked fine, I updated it from the local hard drive as I had already downloaded the latest BIOS file.

You guys may find this site of some use, I have found many different fans/heatsinks and other handy lil thingies here for just that "odd app" if you know what I mean.

http://www.allelectronics.com/

A good place to look for odds-n-ends anyway, Oh and I just received my QuadGT today!!!! Alas, I will not be able to work with it for about a week....I cant believe I read this whole thread...
Pepsi, I feel like we're friends now that I know you n the wife so well:D ...Mad Props to all, keep up the terrific info.

Cheers!

Has anyone here gotten an external uguru display? I'm curious as to how it works or if a nice sunbeam fan controller works just as good.

Has anyone here gotten an external uguru display?
I've got all 3 (there's also a new uGuru Panel about to be released)!
What do you want to know?
They don't do any more fan control than you can already achieve through FanEQ.

I've only seen a concept drawing but yes, at least on that it was black.
of course the final article may be totally different ...

catalog-07q1_p13-p14_1000.jpg

Back