Any abit AB9 QuadGT users?

Setting it at 300mhz x9 = bringing it to 2.7 ghz.

EDIT: That was it. I set it to 250mhz x9 and it worked fine. Now to figure out why 2.7 ghz isn't stable. That really sucks...I'm using an Arctic Freezer Pro 7 and two case fans blowing directly on it. Any ideas? I haven't touched volts or anything. What, if anything, should I be changing in there? I'm completely new to OCing, so maybe I'm just missing a key option or something.

EDIT 2: I just realized there's something on the actual board that it looks like I should have installed...the GURU panel connection header? What does this do, and is this necessary for a successful overclock? Where do I get the cables to hook this up? Thanks for all the help!

The voltages will need to be adjusted to compliment your new FSB and the additional requirements it places on the chipset (and its sub-features like CPU VTT, ICHIO, whatever). Adjust as conservatively as you can if you are new to OC'ing: no offense intended but, baby steps.

The uGuru Panel is an optional Abit accessory one can purchase. It fits in a drive bay so you can access uGuru features directly from that panel instead of from the OS. It is not required for normal or even stellar operation of the motherboard... though I'd love to run across one just for the fun of giving it a whirl! :D

For all your AB9 QuadGT downloading needs:

Abit-Taiwan FTP: ftp://ftp.abit.com.tw/pub/download/

uGuru 3.104 : ftp://ftp.abit.com.tw/pub/download/utilities/uguru/3.104/uguru_v3104.zip

If in doubt, use the Global website. It loads most consistently and is most oft updated: http://www2.abit.com.tw/page/en/mot...tail.php?pMODEL_NAME=AB9+QuadGT&fMTYPE=LGA775

The voltages will need to be adjusted to compliment your new FSB and the additional requirements it places on the chipset (and its sub-features like CPU VTT, ICHIO, whatever). Adjust as conservatively as you can if you are new to OC'ing: no offense intended but, baby steps.

The uGuru Panel is an optional Abit accessory one can purchase. It fits in a drive bay so you can access uGuru features directly from that panel instead of from the OS. It is not required for normal or even stellar operation of the motherboard... though I'd love to run across one just for the fun of giving it a whirl! :D

Thanks for a quick response! and my last question, where do you have the newest Uguru? I tried to find the newest version, but by using the steps I posted in my final post...I can't seem to find it. Any ideas?

EDIT: Nevermind. :)

EDIT 2: What is considered baby steps in volts? .1 or so? What is the stock voltage and about what do most people run it at to hit say 3.0 or so? Thanks!

EDIT 3: Ah, I was using www.uabit.com. Thanks for that link!

Here is what I don't get.

Using CPU-Z...it shows my core speed at 1650 or so, with a multiplier of 6(?!) and a bus speed of 275mhz. what's going on?

... EDIT 2: What is considered baby steps in volts? .1 or so? What is the stock voltage and about what do most people run it at to hit say 3.0 or so? Thanks!

Hi bass_ec, (that's pronounced like 'basic', right?)... Baby steps would be the smallest available increment. If you raise the FSB a few MHz, try to boot but it stops, blue screens, or reboots, go back into the Bios and up the voltage one (and only one) notch, for one (and only one) value, Vcore for example. Be scientific about it, only change one value at a time and try again, that way when something works (or fails, for that matter) you know what you did to reach that result. It helps to keep notes (literally, as in write things down; what voltage for what value, changed from what to what, etc.), and soon you will notice Ye Ole Cause and Effect, and start getting a feel for what each value does.

The QuadGT is an easy and accomplished overclocker so 3.0 should be easy to reach with very minimal adjustments to voltage (read the whole thread to see posts of other's Bios settings), and that Clear CMOS switch on the back panel works like a charm, so don't melt anything by overvolting, and that CCMOS switch will solve any other problems. Have fun! ;)

QuadGT OC'ing thread in Abit forums, nice general resource thread: http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?t=123399

Here is what I don't get.

Using CPU-Z...it shows my core speed at 1650 or so, with a multiplier of 6(?!) and a bus speed of 275mhz. what's going on?

In the Bios, Advanced Bios Settings>CPU Features> there are five options. Set all five to DISABLED.
What's happening is that the Intel Processor's energy and thermal management features are overriding your adjusted settings. This is most likely why uGuru wouldn't keep settings that you had changed. Typically, when overclocking the C2D, one disables these or they can lead to instability or other inaccuracies. Cheers!

Hi bass_ec, (that's pronounced like 'basic', right?)... Baby steps would be the smallest available increment. If you raise the FSB a few MHz, try to boot but it stops, blue screens, or reboots, go back into the Bios and up the voltage one (and only one) notch, for one (and only one) value, Vcore for example. Be scientific about it, only change one value at a time and try again, that way when something works (or fails, for that matter) you know what you did to reach that result. It helps to keep notes (literally, as in write things down; what voltage for what value, changed from what to what, etc.), and soon you will notice Ye Ole Cause and Effect, and start getting a feel for what each value does.

The QuadGT is an easy and accomplished overlocker so 3.0 should be easy to reach with very minimal adjustments to voltage (read the whole thread to see posts of other's Bios settings), and that Clear CMOS switch on the back panel works like a charm, so don't melt anything by overvolting, and that CCMOS switch will solve any other problems. Have fun! ;)

QuadGT OC'ing thread in Abit forums, nice general resource thread: http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?t=123399

What volt options should I be changing around? I notice there are maybe 6-7 different volt settings...and I know what the DDR volt setting does ( I had to up it a volt since my memory is rated at 1.9).

What volt options should I be changing around? I notice there are maybe 6-7 different volt settings...and I know what the DDR volt setting does ( I had to up it a volt since my memory is rated at 1.9).

OK, first: As a general rule, only change a voltage when you have to, in response to a failure or instability. Were it me, I'd raise the FSB 5-10 MHz at a time, reboot each time, and when an instability first occurs it will likely be the Vcore (CPU voltage). Then raise it one (only) voltage value. See if that resolves the instability/failure. The CPU VTT value assists stability when overclocking, so when raising Vcore doesn't help, you might try that. Next I'd cast my eye at the MCH (North Bridge) voltage. For me those are the ones I have to monitor on the QuadGT.

As for the Bios values to disable, here is a screenshot so you'll know what it looks like: http://img.neoseeker.com/v_image.php?articleid=1998&image=27

OK, first: As a general rule, only change a voltage when you have to, in response to a failure or instability. Were it me, I'd raise the FSB 5-10 MHz at a time, reboot each time, and when an instability first occurs it will likely be the Vcore (CPU voltage). Then raise it one (only) voltage value. See if that resolves the instability/failure. The CPU VTT value assists stability when overclocking, so when raising Vcore doesn't help, you might try that. Next I'd cast my eye at the MCH (North Bridge) voltage. For me those are the ones I have to monitor on the QuadGT.

As for the Bios values to disable, here is a screenshot so you'll know what it looks like: http://img.neoseeker.com/v_image.php?articleid=1998&image=27

Well the problem seems to be right now at 265mhz FSB. My X-Fi XtremeMusic craps out completely. At 260mhz, it runs fine, but at 265, no go. It just creates a bunch of LOUD static. Any ideas?

OK, I'd need to know your system specs... your hardware. How many hard drives, using RAID or IDE, PSU rating, and so on.

Have you adjusted those CPU features in the Bios yet?

I have 2 SATA Maxtor HDs, an X-Fi XtremeMusic, an 8800 GTS 640, the QuadGT, an Xfinitiy Ultra 600w PSU, an Arctic Freezer Pro 7 on the CPU, an e4300, and a IDE Philips DVD-RW+- drive.

Is that all you need?

EDIT: Yes I have. I've bumped all three values up, to no avail. I dropped back down to 260mhz FSB, no problems with the X-Fi.

EDIT: What about changing the settings via uGuru application? I think I was able to hit 275mhz using that. Is that a possibilities? What's the difference between a BIOS change to FSB vs a uguru change to FSB?

Well, I meant the five values in Bios, the ones I gave you the srennshot for above: Advanced Bios Features> CPU Feature = all DISABLED.

Are you running your Maxtor's in a RAID configuration, or as two seperate IDE drives? Also, what OS and what drivers have you installed?

What is everyone max stable FSB on this thing? I think my peeks @ 450. Anything beyond that, just isn't stable at all. Really would like to get my chip and memory much higher :)

Well, I meant the five values in Bios, the ones I gave you the srennshot for above: Advanced Bios Features> CPU Feature = all DISABLED.

Are you running your Maxtor's in a RAID configuration, or as two seperate IDE drives? Also, what OS and what drivers have you installed?

Oh yes, I've edited those to look exactly like the screenshot.

No, I'm running my HDs seperatly, no RAID. They are two seperate SATA drives.

I'm running Vista Ultimate. I've got the latest drivers on pretty much everything.

Oh yes, I've edited those to look exactly like the screenshot.

No, I'm running my HDs seperatly, no RAID. They are two seperate SATA drives.

I'm running Vista Ultimate. I've got the latest drivers on pretty much everything.

bass_ec, you need the Intel chipset driver installed, and the latest Creative Vista driver for your X-Fi. Oh, and, uh... you did turn off the onboard sound in the Bios, didn't you? If your onboard HD sound (which Vista will install automatically) is enabled and you've also installed the X-Fi... well, it could explain your crackling and your OC problems. Better double check that onboard audio = DISABLED.

ugh. After installing that Intel Chipset Driver, the X-fi now craps out even at 260mhz FSB. I have no clue what's going on!!!

EDIT: On top of that, Creative Downloads don't load. This is so problematic!

Is onboard sound disabled in the Bios? It is enabled by default, so unless you specifically turned it off, it will still be on.

Onboard sound is disabled.

I'm now able to run the X-Fi at 255mhz, 5 mhz less. I'm still confused as to why I can't get past this 260mhz barrier without the X-Fi going to heck.

Onboard sound is disabled.

I'm now able to run the X-Fi at 255mhz, 5 mhz less. I'm still confused as to why I can't get past this 260mhz barrier without the X-Fi going to heck.

Given the factors I'm hearing, it certainly sounds like a configuration issue, either in the Bios or/and software.

Agreed. I just tried to run Company of Heroes and got a BSOD. I guess I'll keep playing with the Voltage settings...is that the only thing it could be?

EDIT: I'm only at 255mhz. Should I really be having a BSOD at stock voltage and 255mhz FSB?

EDIT 3: Ah, I was using www.uabit.com. Thanks for that link!
uabit.com will be the new site replacing abit-usa.com but it's still being built & tweaked - not yet ready for public consumption. ;)

EDIT: What about changing the settings via uGuru application? I think I was able to hit 275mhz using that. Is that a possibilities? What's the difference between a BIOS change to FSB vs a uguru change to FSB?
effectively none as the 2 are linked.
However, it's possible to run slightly higher fsb in Windows than the system will boot at - boot is a very high stress time for a system.

Re. your X-Fi try setting the PCI-E clock to something like 101 or 105 & see if that makes any difference.
You can also try running without the X-Fi & see if you can run faster without it (i.e. confirming that it's the X-Fi that's holding you back).

What is everyone max stable FSB on this thing? I think my peeks @ 450. Anything beyond that, just isn't stable at all. Really would like to get my chip and memory much higher :)
It'll run into the 500s but you'll probably have to strap a fan to the PWM hs to lower the PWM temps (also assuming that you have RAM that can do DDR2 1000 plus).

uabit.com will be the new site replacing abit-usa.com but it's still being built & tweaked - not yet ready for public consumption. ;)

effectively none as the 2 are linked.
However, it's possible to run slightly higher fsb in Windows than the system will boot at - boot is a very high stress time for a system.

Re. your X-Fi try setting the PCI-E clock to something like 101 or 105 & see if that makes any difference.
You can also try running without the X-Fi & see if you can run faster without it (i.e. confirming that it's the X-Fi that's holding you back).

It'll run into the 500s but you'll probably have to strap a fan to the PWM hs to lower the PWM temps (also assuming that you have RAM that can do DDR2 1000 plus).

I can run faster without it, its just a matter of getting HORRIBLY loud white noise when I mess with the settings too much.

The PWM is right next to the rear i/o panel right? Cooled by the Silent Otes? Man, going to be a tight fit because I have a Tuniq. Any ideas how I would mount the fan though?

The PWM is right next to the rear i/o panel right? Cooled by the Silent Otes? Man, going to be a tight fit because I have a Tuniq. Any ideas how I would mount the fan though?

I hear you, brother. Same combo of this board and the Tuniq... get's a bit tight with the board installed. Perhps my only quibble with the layout, though they didn't have much choice.

Not to be off topic BUT...

I returned my Crucial Ballistix some time ago so that i can get my hands on the Corsair Dominator... and Newegg, sent them back to me, as a repair. WTF? they sent me a brand new 2GB ballistix and adding that to what I currently have, I have 4 GBs!

I said, ahh what the heck... and put it in my case... and Windows XP allocated 3.25GB's of RAM. 32-bit cap... Fine... I went straight to Mycomputer and disabled my Page Files... Restarted, and loaded up the biggest memory hogger I know, Photoshop.

When CS3 loaded only about 400 Megs were being used, I opened up 3 PSD files, about 140 Megs each, all having 5-6 Raster Layers... i made each PSD have 30 Layers (3900x5700 Image Layers) and got the Photoshop to eat up 2.4 Gigs, basically
i still had room to play with!

I ran the wind filter, and it seems to have cut the processing speed by 50% if not more... Running the Wind Filter on a Raster Graphic @ 13X19in @ 300 DPI is no small task, its taking me only about 4 seconds to apply the filter,... Yay......

Just thought i'd share.

PS... I cannot get over 425 FSB, and i'm SAD.

I have not bumped this thread in months. Quick update, I'm running great @ 3.7ghz with this board, though titan quest hard locks every now and again....

Hey TheToe! Yeah, it got quiet here around the time the abit IP35 series got released. I suspect that many QuadGT owners perhaps went out and got an IP35 Pro. After my experience with the QuadGT and hearing all the good things about the P35 chipset, I just had to give it a whirl. The IP35 is an awesome board, two in a row for abit. I think it and an E6750 or E6850 can tide me over until we see how the X38 chipset, Intel's latest procs, and DDR3 are all doing (say around 6 months later). But my beloved QuadGT isn't retired... it's going to serve as my second rig. Nice to know I'll have such a stellar backup! ;)

Just out of interest, have any other QuadGT owners here gone the IP35 Pro route?

Hey TheToe! Yeah, it got quiet here around the time the abit IP35 series got released. I suspect that many QuadGT owners perhaps went out and got an IP35 Pro. After my experience with the QuadGT and hearing all the good things about the P35 chipset, I just had to give it a whirl. The IP35 is an awesome board, two in a row for abit. I think it and an E6750 or E6850 can tide me over until we see how the X38 chipset, Intel's latest procs, and DDR3 are all doing (say around 6 months later). But my beloved QuadGT isn't retired... it's going to serve as my second rig. Nice to know I'll have such a stellar backup! ;)

Just out of interest, have any other QuadGT owners here gone the IP35 Pro route?

Stop tempting me I only had this board for a month :D

Yeah, I know what you guys mean... it would have been better to wait for the IX38-MAX (DDR3) or the IX38 QuadGT (DDR2), but (enthusiast-grade) RAM availability where I live is a spotty thing at best, and I want to see where DDR3 is when the X38 boards from abit come available. Perhaps DDR3 will be more affordable? Perhaps I could find some higher speed RAM to take advantage of what Intel offers (both CPU & chipset-wise), so the decision would be based on RAM more than the boards (I'm at the point where I've a taste for abit's boards and quality, a level of trust). Anyway, with these factors and the way the industry works here in China, if I wait for a product, I'll wait forever. So, I went ahead and picked up the IP35 Pro. The QuadGT was fantastic, and the IP35 Pro extends that quality much further. I'm frankly awfully excited to see abit's X38 offerings, as they have the potential to be memorable indeed. Ah, the waiting. The waiting!

It rises!

Query for the owners; how picky is the AB9 QuadGT about voltage when building? Am I going to NEED 1.8V DIMMs, or will it do first POST with non-stock voltages?

It rises!

Query for the owners; how picky is the AB9 QuadGT about voltage when building? Am I going to NEED 1.8V DIMMs, or will it do first POST with non-stock voltages?

Hello AreEss!
Well, other owners may have had different experiences but my QuadGT booted up from Day 1 using my Patriot DDR2-8500, which is spec'd at 2.3v. It starts off running them as PC2-6400 and I just adjusted voltage and timing from there. I also tried my Corsair Dominator's (also PC2-8500) which are spec'd at 2.2v, and they too never had any issue. The few times I reset the CMOS (usually by accident via the rear panel switch while moving the case, arse that I am!) the board booted every time without a problem. The board's really good about that! Hope this helps ya'!

Hello AreEss!
Well, other owners may have had different experiences but my QuadGT booted up from Day 1 using my Patriot DDR2-8500, which is spec'd at 2.3v. It starts off running them as PC2-6400 and I just adjusted voltage and timing from there. I also tried my Corsair Dominator's (also PC2-8500) which are spec'd at 2.2v, and they too never had any issue. The few times I reset the CMOS (usually by accident via the rear panel switch while moving the case, arse that I am!) the board booted every time without a problem. The board's really good about that! Hope this helps ya'!

Sweet; Abit's usually been good about respecting extended SPD without issues, just wanted to be sure before ordering.
Yup, another AB9 QuadGT owner. What can I say, the board has what I want - stability, good layout, and stupid levels of power. :)

Sweet; Abit's usually been good about respecting extended SPD without issues, just wanted to be sure before ordering.
Yup, another AB9 QuadGT owner. What can I say, the board has what I want - stability, good layout, and stupid levels of power. :)

Great! Ummm... not to take a shit on my own thread (actually, I've done that elsewhere :D ) but did you have a special reason for considering the QuadGT over abit's IP35 Pro? I've got them both, and they both OC really well, both really stable, and mostly the same feature set (short of chipset differences, of course). Is it just price?

I have a perfect 500FSB wall on this board lol, it will boot fine at 500fsb, and get into windows, run a few benchies, but 1mhz over and it won't post lol.

Wow! That is neat and tidy to the point of being an anal retentive board (which it typically isn't). Not doubting you, of course, but could it be your proc? I'm guessing you'll say no, have gone past 500 on other boards, but I'm kind of interested in such a round number! :p

When can we expect the IX38 boards? I think I am going to upgrade this August and I'm either gonna get the IP35 or wait for the IX38 boards.

Great! Ummm... not to take a shit on my own thread (actually, I've done that elsewhere :D ) but did you have a special reason for considering the QuadGT over abit's IP35 Pro? I've got them both, and they both OC really well, both really stable, and mostly the same feature set (short of chipset differences, of course). Is it just price?

Actually, it's because I haven't had enough time on the P35 chipset. Preliminaries report severe issues with ICH9R and 2K/XP - especially in RAID configurations - as well. And there is no way in hell I am going to run Vista, period. I do far too much audio and video work. And Vista is designed to prevent me from doing any of that. Plus, I'm not really happy with the IP35's layout versus my cards. Going to wait a few months to go X38 anyways.

I'm running both Vista 64 and XP 32 in RAID 0 on the IP35 Pro's ICH9R controller and haven't had a single hiccup. It might have happened to a single brand, but on this board I own, it hasn't happened, nor have I heard of it occuring on other Abit P35's. 'Course X38 is looking more and more like a September baby. You lucky dog! QuadGT vs. IP35 Pro vs. ???... it's not like you'll die for lack of choices! :D

Need help.......

My power went out last night and when I woke I had to reset the breaker in my house.
Booted my computer and ....nothing....
but fans running and sounds like all is ok.
reset bios.... nothing
opened box and saw POST CODE C1
removed memory sticks and tried 1 at a time in dimm 1 position but all results in post code c1.

Please help if possible.
Thanks
Ottman

Memory : Corsair Dominator Dual Channel CM2X1024-8500C5D
m/b: abit ab9 quadgt

I think from the Abit manual the code C1 is a detect memory part of post. I had that when a mem stick went bad on me. I turned off all the power, meaning from the PS so no lights on at all. Then a put another stick in the same slot as where the one went bad, turned PS on, turned system on and it posted.

Try that

Back