Antec P180

EnderW said:
What's a PA160?
Seems to me this case is perfect for a dual 120mm rad in the top since there's no PSU to get in the way.

Thermochill PA160
Designed by some guys on the procooling forums. I believe Cathar was the head of the project. I think the onlly place to buy it in the US is: http://www.voyeurmods.com/index.php...revaction=category&previd=featured&prevstart=

Very expensive for a single 120mm heatercore. But it's supposed to be the ultimate single 120mm radiator. I think it's on-par with most 2x120mm radiators.

And putting a large radiator in the top would seem to cause all kinds of problems, including cutting up that nice thick case.

WOW! HOT RADIATOR...for certain it performs as well as a double heater core?

Couldn't you place a single radiator in the front top HDD bay? That's where i'm planning to put the first loop-but if this PA160 is that good i might as well use it to cool everything instead of getting another single for the top exhaust.

What is the bottom 5.25 slot for? why is it in it's own enclosure from the top 3? Wierd.

Probably not as good as a double heatercore with strong fans, but I think about as good as a BIP2, maybe BIX2 (BIP > BIX > Heatercore), but it's fairly low air restrictive so a quiet fan should work well with it.

It wont fit in the top HDD bay for certain. It's barely big enough for a 120mm fan, and this thing is 160mmx214mm.

You'd have to either mount it on the top exhaust or rear exhaust (behind CPU).

And what do you mean everything? If you were planning on two loops, what all are you cooling?

P.S.
The bottom 5.25" bay is just a regular one, I don't know why it's separated...
That gives me an idea. If you could remove that, you might be able to fit a single 120mm radiator in there...hmmm

Question for any of you who have installed an OCZ PowerStream PSU in this case;

In the review posted on the previous page, they comment on this particular PSU's length causing some problems, one of which being that the lower fan had to be either removed or mounted on the front half of the lower tunnel. See this picture from that review though:

http://www.sgoverclockers.com/images/articles/15/P180-BotComp_L.jpg

It seems the PSU is pushed forward an inch or two. Or is it just me?

I think your eyes are playing tricks on you. At first glance, it looks like the PSU isn't sitting flush, but when you look closer, it's the shadow throwing you off.

DieLate said:
Thermochill PA160
Designed by some guys on the procooling forums. I believe Cathar was the head of the project. I think the onlly place to buy it in the US is: http://www.voyeurmods.com/index.php...revaction=category&previd=featured&prevstart=

Very expensive for a single 120mm heatercore. But it's supposed to be the ultimate single 120mm radiator. I think it's on-par with most 2x120mm radiators.

And putting a large radiator in the top would seem to cause all kinds of problems, including cutting up that nice thick case.
Nice.
Why not put it on the top blowhole or rear exhaust?

EnderW said:
Nice.
Why not put it on the top blowhole or rear exhaust?

You mean like I stated on the last page? ;)

DieLate said:
Yeah, I think you'd have to mount it to the rear or top...if it doesn't make contact with the mobo and there's anough distance between it and the CPU block.

It's really not a case for watercooling. :(

DieLate said:
And what do you mean everything? If you were planning on two loops, what all are you cooling?

Processor and SLI..didn't think a single radiator/heater core would be enough

YAAAAYYYY!!!!!!

IT'S HERE!!!!

Perfect arrival time, huh?

(Today's my birthday :) )

:D

Except...I don't actually have the case.

I was at work when it arrived, and my neighbor signed for it-- my neighbor is not home.

:(

But I know it's right next door, so all's well.

I'm excited that my P180 will be arriving tomorrow. I am selling my CM Stacker to replace it with this P180. I love the sleekness of this case, and the silence and cooling capabilities really impressed me, thats why I had to make the switch.

By the way if any of you new P180 buyers are looking for cheap, quiet 120mm fans, and don't mind fans with a blue LED, then look no further than www.svc.com. Go to the Coolermaster 120MM blue LED fan, they are only $3.99 right now. The fan is rated at 43cfm, and 22dba. I have two of these in my stacker right now, and they are the most quiet fans I have ever owned. I am going to get 2 more for the P180. Oh and just for your information these fans push even more air than the 120mm orange Nexus fan for way less money. Those Nexus fans run at $15.49 each and are rated at 36.87CFM 22.8dBA. So if you don't mind having a blue LED fan (which I don't see why you would, especially since their is no window) then this is an excellent choice for you quiet PC lovers.

I also went ahead and purchased a Zalman VF700-Cu to cool my 6800 Ultra, because the stock heatsink fan is so damn loud.

So I am anxious to see how quiet my new setup will be. I will go ahead and post pictures, once I recieve my case tomorrow and install everything inside it.

dynamiks said:
I'm excited that my P180 will be arriving tomorrow. I am selling my CM Stacker to replace it with this P180. I love the sleekness of this case, and the silence and cooling capabilities really impressed me, thats why I had to make the switch.

By the way if any of you new P180 buyers are looking for cheap, quiet 120mm fans, and don't mind fans with a blue LED, then look no further than www.svc.com. Go to the Coolermaster 120MM blue LED fan, they are only $3.99 right now. The fan is rated at 43cfm, and 22dba. I have two of these in my stacker right now, and they are the most quiet fans I have ever owned. I am going to get 2 more for the P180. Oh and just for your information these fans push even more air than the 120mm orange Nexus fan for way less money. Those Nexus fans run at $15.49 each and are rated at 36.87CFM 22.8dBA. So if you don't mind having a blue LED fan (which I don't see why you would, especially since their is no window) then this is an excellent choice for you quiet PC lovers.

I also went ahead and purchased a Zalman VF700-Cu to cool my 6800 Ultra, because the stock heatsink fan is so damn loud.

So I am anxious to see how quiet my new setup will be. I will go ahead and post pictures, once I recieve my case tomorrow and install everything inside it.

Yep, I use the Coolermaster UV ones. Got them from FrozenCPU. Awesome fans for the price and very quiet. You'll love your P180, I love mine to death, best case I've ever owned, period.

p180inside3sa.jpg

Just bought a p180 from techonweb for $106.30. This case looks amazing. Can't wait to get my hands on this.

is it just me but i feel like my baby is kinda fragile? I think after reading this forum I take painstaking care when removing the panels(i think it was ungood that broke off his panel hooks-maybe he's a hercules) and opening the front 270. I feel like when i am picking up the case i have to pick itup only frmo the bottom as i might break any of the panels.

or i think i love this case too much... :eek:

azrael201 said:
is it just me but i feel like my baby is kinda fragile? I think after reading this forum I take painstaking care when removing the panels(i think it was ungood that broke off his panel hooks-maybe he's a hercules) and opening the front 270. I feel like when i am picking up the case i have to pick itup only frmo the bottom as i might break any of the panels.

or i think i love this case too much... :eek:

Being aluminum, it will scratch and dent easily, the door is very succeptible to hard abuse and I wouldn't be half assing putting on the side panels less you break off the tabs which Antec HAS NO replacment side panels available.

In other words, treat this case like glass.

i'd really like one of these cases for the airflow and acoustic properties people comment on, but its simply too big for my low profile needs :rolleyes:

I ended up breaking the two bottom tabs off of my Antec's case... but now it opens and closes smoothly - go figure! Before, it'd get stuck and it also wouldn't close very well. Now it shuts fine and I don't have problems with vibrations after I screw it down with the thumb screws.

RexPokinghorn said:
I ended up breaking the two bottom tabs off of my Antec's case... but now it opens and closes smoothly - go figure! Before, it'd get stuck and it also wouldn't close very well. Now it shuts fine and I don't have problems with vibrations after I screw it down with the thumb screws.

Yeah, you have to be REALLY careful closing the door or those tabs will break off and Antec can't replace the panels.

In other words, if your one of those constant in and out guys with your computer, this case isn't for you. This is set it up, get it running, close it and leave it alone.

I just bought this case, but it does not come with speakers for the motherboard. i thought all cases comes with them? how else will i hear the beep on boot up and trouble shoot. i think they should include them in the later batches. The speakers is not going to cost them more then a few cents. i'm going to have to call antec and ask.

linjy2 said:
I just bought this case, but it does not come with speakers for the motherboard. i thought all cases comes with them? how else will i hear the beep on boot up and trouble shoot. i think they should include them in the later batches. The speakers is not going to cost them more then a few cents. i'm going to have to call antec and ask.
I'd love to know what you find out.

I find myself using the motherboard lights anyways; but the cpu heat threshold beeps have been useful before (heatsink fell off - oops!)

where you guys placing the aftermarket fans...am i being paranoid?

The stock fans are good enough right so i only need to order an additional fan for the front and the vga duct?

IceWind said:
Yeah, you have to be REALLY careful closing the door or those tabs will break off and Antec can't replace the panels.

In other words, if your one of those constant in and out guys with your computer, this case isn't for you. This is set it up, get it running, close it and leave it alone.
Too bad, I was thinking about getting one of these but I open mine up as much as a greedy surgeon does his patients.

haroldmeyer said:
Too bad, I was thinking about getting one of these but I open mine up as much as a greedy surgeon does his patients.

Best get another case then bud, this isn't designed to be opened on a continuall basis, the tabs won't take that much abuse.

Or...um....if I may suggest so humbly...you could...you know...buy the case and just be careful when you open and close the case. :p

Seriously-- (and I now have this gorgeous beauty right next to me to speak firsthand!!) it's not as though these things are made so weakly that they are gonna fall off if opened more than twice-- you just have to use a little common sense care.

I will submit that it might have been a better idea for them to have increased the interior metal sheet size so the edges could have been folded into rails, allowing the hooks to be stamped out of it-- would have added to the rigidity, and allowed the hooks to be made of metal--- but either way-- this thing is everything that I hoped it would be and more :)

mdlestat said:
Or...um....if I may suggest so humbly...you could...you know...buy the case and just be careful when you open and close the case. :p
)

That too but apparently thats asking to much for some people :rolleyes:

We'll eventually get replacement side panels in. First priority though is getting complete units in/out in the channel. Not that the support guys are PO'd that no one bothered to get replacement panels just in case.

I just got mine today, I love it... Here's some quick pictures I took. I'll take some better ones soon.

P180%20002.jpg

P180%20003.jpg

P180%20004.jpg

P180%20005.jpg

P180%20006.jpg

P180%20007.jpg

P180%20008.jpg

dynamiks said:
I just got mine today, I love it... Here's some quick pictures I took. I'll take some better ones soon.

Thanks man, great pics! I want this case so badly!

i guess that's how you guys got the cables through the bottom without interfering with the soundcard...you removed the PSU chamber fan.

dynamiks said:
Nice wiring job.

azrael201 said:
i guess that's how you guys got the cables through the bottom without interfering with the soundcard...you removed the PSU chamber fan.
Yeah, he has a big advantage there.

gazza_new said:
I agree with that! Is it safe putting the wires behind the mobo?

I only have one wire behind the motherboard. Which is the 4 pin motherboard connector. I taped it down and ran it all the way to the top, then screwed the motherboard on top of it.

The rest of the wires are all cable tied up behind the hard drive cage on the upper part of the case.

dynamiks said:
I only have one wire behind the motherboard. Which is the 4 pin motherboard connector. I taped it down and ran it all the way to the top, then screwed the motherboard on top of it.

Just curious, but how long is that 4 pin cable on your psu? Do you think an 18" cable be able to fit the same way?

popupsquad said:
Just curious, but how long is that 4 pin cable on your psu? Do you think an 18" cable be able to fit the same way?

Honeslty I am not too sure how long the 4 pin cable is. I know that the cables on my PSU are longer that my old Enermax PSU, so I guess it depends on the brand/type of PSU you have.

18" sounds kinda short, but then again it might be able to reach, I am not too sure. My cable has a lil bit of slack on top. If you look closely you can see it.

dynamiks said:
Honeslty I am not too sure how long the 4 pin cable is. I know that the cables on my PSU are longer that my old Enermax PSU, so I guess it depends on the brand/type of PSU you have.

18" sounds kinda short, but then again it might be able to reach, I am not too sure. My cable has a lil bit of slack on top. If you look closely you can see it.

Hmm, found one source on google saying 23". Looks like 18" isn't going to go that way.

popupsquad said:
Hmm, found one source on google saying 23". Looks like 18" isn't going to go that way.

I'm sure that you can find an extension somewhere... just get one of those, and u should be good.

Back