Another successful x800 pro to XT mod - here's how

Why do people use the Gigabyte bios to flash the X800 then go to the Ati x800 XT bios?
Does it overclock better or something, does it give more voltages to the card?
What does it do?

skym0903 said:
Why do people use the Gigabyte bios to flash the X800 then go to the Ati x800 XT bios?
Does it overclock better or something, does it give more voltages to the card?
What does it do?

because the Gigabyte BIOS is what actually enables the extra four pipelines.

once thats done, you can (but you dont have to) flash to the X800 XT BIOS if you'd like.

ozziegn said:
because the Gigabyte BIOS is what actually enables the extra four pipelines.

once thats done, you can (but you dont have to) flash to the X800 XT BIOS if you'd like.

Why don't they just leave it as Gigabyte Bios?
I heard it was the same as the ATI XT Bios...

ok, i just checked CompUSA's website, and they don't list the GeCube X800 Pro at all. The only brand they list is the official ATi brand. I won't be able to get to a Compusa till next weekend(stuck down at college, no Compusa here), but do they sell these cards in-store and just not advertise it on their website or what? any help is greatly appreciated.

skym0903 said:

Some people think that the ATi bios will up their core voltage from 1.3 to 1.4V which it doesn't.....The voltage is set via a resistor on the back of the pcb (R5 I think). You can up it with a pencil (same as 9800 pro volt mod)...

As I have already stated the Gigabyte BIOS is the lowest clocked XT PE BIOS.. the ATI version is a few MHz on core/mem faster.

skym0903 said:

funny thing is that I read somewhere that someone got better 3DMark scores with the ATi BIOS vs. the Gigabyte one. I first thought he was full of it but I decided to try it anyways.

come to find out that the ATI version gained me a little over 300 points in 3DMark03.

why? who the heck knows. but I do know that my soft modded XT PE can run at 540/575 (on stock cooling) flawlessy with the ATI BIOS. I couldnt get those speeds with the Gigabyte version. again, why? who knows....

thats just crazy..... :eek:

Are the BBA X800 Pros at Compusa the VIVO cards? Because the website doesnt list any GECube cards there. Anybody have an answer?

trakslacker said:
Are the BBA X800 Pros at Compusa the VIVO cards? Because the website doesnt list any GECube cards there. Anybody have an answer?

I've gotten like 5 built by ATi X800 from Comp USA and they have all been the VIVO editions.

and out of those 5 cards, two of them didnt do the soft mod thing correctly. the four extra pipelines were damaged.

so I'd say three out of five cards being successfully soft modded isnt too bad.

ozziegn said:
I've gotten like 5 built by ATi X800 from Comp USA and they have all been the VIVO editions.

and out of those 5 cards, two of them didnt do the soft mod thing correctly. the four extra pipelines were damaged.

so I'd say three out of five cards being successfully soft modded isnt too bad.

Willing to let go of one of your successful ones?

jamezzz122 said:
Willing to let go of one of your successful ones?

I dont have any at the current moment.

I have my personal card that does like 550/580 on stock cooling ( :D ) but I'm not willing to let it go for nothing.

however, I do currently have another X800 Pro VIVO card that's got 4 defective pipelines so I'm waiting until my local Comp USA store gets more cards in stock so I can swap it out for another one. I'll then try my luck with that one and see what happens.

but if I were to sell one, of course I'd have to get the full price which is $428 which includes my local state's sale tax.

send me an email at my gmail address if you're interested and I'll let you know when I get another card to try out.

heatsinker said:
What's the return policy at CompUSA like?

15% restocking fee unless the item is defective.

(or in my case, having good friends that work there. :p )

sapient said:
Could someone please confirm that this is a VIVO card?

Im interested because it looks like it has the same cooling unit that the XT version has and its all copper as well.

I havent seen anyone try the softmod on one yet but I'm willing to take that gamble.

http://www.asus.com/products/vga/ax800pro-tvd/overview.htm

That's a VIVO. I don't think anyone has tried one yet because they aren't anywhere to be found (at least not so far). I haven't seen one for sale myself lately....

gsboriqua said:
That's a VIVO. I don't think anyone has tried one yet because they aren't anywhere to be found (at least not so far). I haven't seen one for sale myself lately....

the only x800 parts from asus that i have seen for sale so far are the xtpe's.

Global_Inferno said:
As I have already stated the Gigabyte BIOS is the lowest clocked XT PE BIOS.. the ATI version is a few MHz on core/mem faster.
thats because the ati bios that is floating around is from a pre production board so i think it runs at 526/576 or something like that

ozziegn said:
I dont have any at the current moment.

I have my personal card that does like 550/580 on stock cooling ( :D ) but I'm not willing to let it go for nothing.

however, I do currently have another X800 Pro VIVO card that's got 4 defective pipelines so I'm waiting until my local Comp USA store gets more cards in stock so I can swap it out for another one. I'll then try my luck with that one and see what happens.

but if I were to sell one, of course I'd have to get the full price which is $428 which includes my local state's sale tax.

send me an email at my gmail address if you're interested and I'll let you know when I get another card to try out.
a little voltage would more than probably be the one to blame there. but if you can change it...

thelostrican said:
a little voltage would more than probably be the one to blame there. but if you can change it...

I haven't had too much luck with the voltage mod. I find that if its not running quite at stock speeds then it might help, but the two cards that failed miserably, the volt mod did nothing. Also one card (GeCube) would not run stable with 16 P enabled but at stock pro speeds 475/450. Indicating defective pipes.

Thank you for your input.

I found it at
www.zipzoomfly.com

hopefully it'll be here by the end of the week.
I'll have some results shortly afterwards.

Funny thing is I dont see a link to that specific card on asus's site.
I got the link from zipzoomfly's (Manufacturer Product Specifications)

sapient said:
Thank you for your input.

I found it at
www.zipzoomfly.com

hopefully it'll be here by the end of the week.
I'll have some results shortly afterwards.

Funny thing is I dont see a link to that specific card on asus's site.
I got the link from zipzoomfly's (Manufacturer Product Specifications)

Pricey. I'm sure you will have good luck with it. Asus stuff is usually pretty nice..

So, at CompUSA, would an excuse like "I just couldn't get it to work with my motherboard at all." be good enough to waive the restocking fee? Or will they actually test it out and waive the fee if it truly doesnt work at all. anyone have any expereince with this?

trakslacker said:
So, at CompUSA, would an excuse like "I just couldn't get it to work with my motherboard at all." be good enough to waive the restocking fee? Or will they actually test it out and waive the fee if it truly doesnt work at all. anyone have any expereince with this?

CompUSA has never charged me a restocking fee for any of the stuff I've brought back. And no I don't know anyone who works there.....

damn, that's not fair. I just called my Compusa and they said they mandatorily charge the fee unless the product doesnt work at all. I will go talk to them this weekend when I get home and see if things change when I talk with them in person.

Well I got my Sapphire Toxic in, and flashed it to the XT and saw the 16 pipes enabled, however it was NOT running stable as it was crashing my PC and showing the desktop artifacted....

Once flashed it was automatically overclocking to the 550/550 range. Once I was able to hold windows long enough to downspeed the clocking, it was fine at about 500/500.

THe only problemn is every reboot it was REFINDING itself in windows and resetting the clockspeeds.

I am needing a Bios that unlocks the 4 pipes but allows me to clock it as I want.

gsboriqua said:
I haven't had too much luck with the voltage mod. I find that if its not running quite at stock speeds then it might help, but the two cards that failed miserably, the volt mod did nothing. Also one card (GeCube) would not run stable with 16 P enabled but at stock pro speeds 475/450. Indicating defective pipes.

You have to get a program called ATItool to enable the stock fan to run at 100% when you hit temps of 60 degrees celius and higher. This will have to do until my Arctic cooler silencer 4 arrives in the mail.
This worked for me . good luck

atitool can be found here- http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/

Razzbuten said:
I am needing a Bios that unlocks the 4 pipes but allows me to clock it as I want.

Go to http://www.techpowerup.com/bios/ and look for the x800 pro 16P. That bios will enable 16 pipes but clock you at the default pro speeds so you can up from there.

cc5 said:
You have to get a program called ATItool to enable the stock fan to run at 100% when you hit temps of 60 degrees celius and higher. This will have to do until my Arctic cooler silencer 4 arrives in the mail.
This worked for me . good luck

atitool can be found here- http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/

Yea thanks for the tip but been there done that and its no help. I also want these cards to run without any utility. I need them to run stable as is for my purposes. I've been pretty lucky though and havent had too many flat out failures.

thelostrican said:

neah, I wouldnt think so.

there's a reason why ATi didnt pack these VIVO cards up as XT PEs. like many have already said, they just didnt make the cut for whatever reason(s).

I just think that the extra four pipelines on that one card were borked so I dont think sticking more voltage to it wouldve somehow repaired those pipelines.

More than likely. I see the Rage Theater Chip on the backside as well as that little yellow connector next to the molex.

XMonkey-v2.0 said:
Quick question, anyone know if this ASUS card would be able to be flashed to an XT PE? http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-121-519&depa=0

chances are yes, it can be flashed.

but in my opinion, one is better off buying an X800 Pro from Comp USA because 99% of them have been reported as the VIVO edition cards and if something doesnt go right after the flash, you can always think of an excuse why you need to return the card for another one.

it wouldnt be that easy with Newegg.

just wanna clarify something. We are talking about the BBA X800's @ CompUSA, correct?

Oh, and has anyone had good luck with getting them to waive the 15% restocking fee if the card isn't right(not including ppl who have friends that work there)?

trakslacker said:
just wanna clarify something. We are talking about the BBA X800's @ CompUSA, correct?

like I said earlier, 99% of the x800 Pro cards at Comp USA are the VIVO edition cards.

If you're a honest person, you'll probably have trouble finding a way to waive the restocking fee.

If you can stretch the truth a bit, you'll have no problem getting the 15% waived.

Bought 3 BBA X800PRO VIVOs last night; two softmod fine, one softmods to 500/560. I'll try reseating the heatsink, the pencil mod, and possibly a Arctic Cooler to get the core up to 520.

Last week owning a top-of-the-line video card was the farthest thing from my mind. This week I'm the owner of 3 X800XT PEs.

p0tempkin said:
Last week owning a top-of-the-line video card was the farthest thing from my mind. This week I'm the owner of 3 X800XT PEs.

lol

its a wonderfull thing isnt it? :p

Quick question. I was looking at the VR-Zone Voltage Mod guide, and it says to pencil the resistor a few times to raise the voltage.

I'm not very knowledgable about electrical circuits, but if I bridge this resistor with more pencil strokes, does that mean the voltage will increase higher than 1.4v? Or is 1.4v the max it will go to?

p0tempkin said:
If you're a honest person, you'll probably have trouble finding a way to waive the restocking fee.

If you can stretch the truth a bit, you'll have no problem getting the 15% waived.

Well I am an honest person, but I don't mind stretching the truth a smidge if it might save me $60. The only problem I see is that if I say it doesnt work, they could easily pop it into a rig and prove me wrong. Or do they not bother testing things like that?

p0tempkin: As for the VMod, on the 9800's at least, I was under the impression that the more strokes you made, the higher the voltage went. That's how ppl with water cooling can jump up to like 1.7-2.0v. I guess it might be different on the X800's, but my guess is the more pencil, the more voltage. Please verify this with someone who has done it and knows for sure, as I surely do not want you to ruin your card based on my half-witted opinings. Also, be sure to check your results with a multimeter.

I think I will hold off on the voltage mod until I can get a multimeter.

For now, a little AS5 on the core and a bit of luck...who knows?

Back