Angry iPhone Users To March On Apple Tomorrow

Nor is the U.S. known for infallible quality.

I've always thought America to make quality products. Also, what do you think China's annual death toll is from contaminated food, especially with their poor food safety record?

Just a reminder, America made cars that still work to this day. Do you honestly wanna drive a Chinese made car? Get my point?

I don't know why you're comparing food safety to electronics, but if you want to talk about food safety why don't you compare food safety in China vs food safety in the US. There's a reason why a lot of people only eat McDonalds when they travel to China.

Because the post I quoted talked about "contaminated cat food" and was showing that the US has "contaminated human food" made in the US. The enzymes/bacteria in all food anywhere in the world are different wherever you go, so even traveling to a 5 star resturant in Europe theres a chance you'll have stomach issues (which as a tip is why you should always have local yogurt) or because they are typical "foreigners in a foreigner country with different food, so I must eat shit I know what it is". :p

seems like the best thing these pissed off hippies and douches could do would have been to SELL their iphone, donate that money to some humanitarian BS operation and move on.

After that's done - STOP buying apple shit.

Not really that hard from my perspective. Other than that, it's a fully independent country it's none of our god damn business how their government works, and how their people are treated.

Maybe if there wasn't 1+ billion of them there would be somewhat of a labor shortage and they wouldn't be able to get away with treating workers like crap. What do I know though -- my econ degree probably doesn't apply here.

When the author says "hip and educated market," why is Apple mentioned in the same sentence? Hip and educated--gag me with a spoon. You simply cannot *be* "hip and educated" and buy something that says "Made by Apple (we-used-to-be-called-Apple Computer-but-we-forgot-how-to-spell-and-make-Computers." And besides, "hip"? Is that particular slang even used by anyone these days? Eh? I thought "hip" went out with "beatnik".

Mac Pro made by Apple: $5k
Mac Pro made by anybody else: $2.5k

(Which is exactly why you cannot be hip and educated and buy Apple--dumb, ignorant, and hillbilly--*maybe.*)

Here's an intelligent suggestion, though, all seriousness aside. Why doesn't Apple change its name again, to:

Apple Smartphone ...? Eh...eh? What, you still like Apple Used-To-Make-All-Our-Money-Selling-'Puters-but-that-Hasn't-Been-True-For-Ages, better?

Again... losing track of the point of the post. I'm not stating that Apple is 1:1 on price/performance to enthusiast level hardware...

Then what exactly was your point?

I've always thought America to make quality products. Also, what do you think China's annual death toll is from contaminated food, especially with their poor food safety record?

Just a reminder, America made cars that still work to this day. Do you honestly wanna drive a Chinese made car? Get my point?

All the "vintage cars" that "still work to this day" still work because people fix them the whole damned time. If they didn't they would be rusting crap ina scrap yard. People don't fix "modern crap" because it's not cost effective.

Kets look at the first world's safety record:
In 1999, an estimated 5,000 deaths, 325,000 hospitalizations and 76 million illnesses were caused by foodborne illnesses within the US

The worst foodborne outbreak in the US was 224000 people. The worst in china was 300000. Now put this against the total population. It's not really opposite ends of the spectrum whatever you might think. :p

So these apple sheeple are feeling guilty?

Give me a fucking break.

If that iPhone was three times the cost, they would scream bloody hell.
Everybody wants cool shit, but no one wants to pay more than 200 dollars for it.........:rolleyes:

Except maybe apple-heads......:eek:

I see your point, in my defense every time you see an x86 Windows tablets, err slates reviewed its ALWAYS compared to iPads and Android slates, err tablets. With Windows 8 I really don't see any difference between slates and tablets. Back in the day a tablet was a slate with a digital pen. I consider than iPad a touch screen slate.

Are you saying that the iPad can be comparable to the x86 GSlate?

A made in the USA iPhone would be 2 grand or more, subsidized.

Not if you imported Chinese labor.

Really, China, the government, should do more to not exploit its own people.

All the protesting SHEEPLE should go to China and protest outside Foxconn. But no guts.

Then what exactly was your point?

All the "vintage cars" that "still work to this day" still work because people fix them the whole damned time. If they didn't they would be rusting crap ina scrap yard. People don't fix "modern crap" because it's not cost effective.

Kets look at the first world's safety record:

The worst foodborne outbreak in the US was 224000 people. The worst in china was 300000. Now put this against the total population. It's not really opposite ends of the spectrum whatever you might think. :p

You believe info as reported by a Communist government? I have a bridge to sell you.

Major difference between an open democratic country and a closed communist one. Back to school for you.

A futile act.

Who cares about the Foxconn people? If the conditions suck they should just quit and go work a crappier job while 30 people fight for their spot.

I love Apple products -- but I won't love them if their prices get jacked up because Apple decided to interfere with the Foxconn employees (something in which they really have no right to do, the Chinese government or, I dunno, maybe Foxconn execs should be stepping up here).

I read an article a few months ago in one of my subscribed magazines that had to do with Apples overseas manufacture dealings... They said that if the iphone was manufactured here in the United States it would cost approximately $68 dollars more. I am sure the rest of the lineup (laptops, ipads etc) follow a similar manufacturing price difference (which isnt much).

“I love it, but I don't love having to support sweatshops, and neither do millions of other Apple consumers. The hip, educated market that Apple aspires to corner is largely composed of responsible consumers who don’t want to be complicit in sweatshop labor.” /QUOTE]

Who exactly forced them to do so?

isn't this sort of like going to a brothel, getting laid and then go on a march to protest prostitution?

And who forced the workers to work there?

Nobody. The workers likely moved far from the countryside to the factory, so they could work there. Given the presence of internet communications in China too, it's almost sure that they knew the terms roughly before even starting their journey.

I think the real answer is to NOT BUY THEIR PRODUCTS IN THE FIRST PLACE if you feel strongly enough to march on their HQ.

The best way to protest the treatment of employee's of firms whom Apples contracts work with is to just stop buying Apple. You can also write your local congressman and tell them to get the US in better tax shape for business. Finally, stop demanding lower and lower cost on everything. One of the primary reasons for outsourcing these types of manufacturing is that people want lower prices, which means low cost labor.

What you just said doesn't make any sense.

As living in one of the countries in south east asia. Our number one export aren't products, it's people. We export construction laborers, nurses, caregivers, nannies, janitors, etc. The support crew outnumbers the bigwigs, we may not be able to get a lot of doctors into the hospitals, but there are plenty of positions for nurses. And the 'imported' construction workers follow contractual oblications rather than unions.

Why wouldn't they be comparable? They both run mobile OSes.

One has an incompressible support that has full application support and per power, the other is limited by a shackled app store with limited power but insane battery life, both have vastly different intended uses (and hardware)

Protesters: Treat your work force better!! We're so mad that we're here to tell you, we're almost mad enough to think about maybe considering a boycott one of these days!!

Apple: Those lazy workers are the reason you got the 4s and not the iPhone 5.

Protesters: Whip the slaves harder, lords!!

Woods I keep saying gslate, I mean the 7 slate ...

totaly blame my phone

As living in one of the countries in south east asia. Our number one export aren't products, it's people.
Yet we have no shortage of unskilled labor in the U.S.. It's not that we don't have people in the U.S. who can do the jobs Foxconn emplyees are doing: it's the overhead of doing it in the U.S. that makes manufacturing in the states so cost-prohibitive.

Apple would certainly do it if having manufacturing facilities in the U.S. weren't so unattractive from a cost perspective compared to overseas manufacturing.

Yet we have no shortage of unskilled labor in the U.S.. It's not that we don't have people in the U.S. who can do the jobs Foxconn emplyees are doing: it's the overhead of doing it in the U.S. that makes manufacturing in the states so cost-prohibitive.

Apple would certainly do it if having manufacturing facilities in the U.S. weren't so unattractive from a cost perspective compared to overseas manufacturing.

The thing is, the cost of bringing one of our people stateside to work is actually cheaper than hiring a local. The different cost of living between ours and yours means a single person on minimum wage is enough to support an entire family comfortably back home, just a little more and he can even put a kid through college.

Thousands of iPhone owners are expected to march on Apple's headquarters tomorrow to protest the reports of abuse and conditions at Foxconn. No word on how many are mad enough to actually give up their iPhones though.

ah shoot i though it was for their iOS screw up, well good luck to those fellas, make sure u get few gatorades since you'll need for the long walk.

Apple Laptop: $2300
Comparable non-Apple: $1500

OEMs like Samsung, HP, and Asus constantly fuck up their version of the click pad. It's one of the favorite features on my Macbook Pro and it's a fucking shame that these jackasses can't get their shit together. Comparable in this regard isn't good enough.

One has an incompressible support that has full application support and per power, the other is limited by a shackled app store with limited power but insane battery life, both have vastly different intended uses (and hardware)

Vastly different intended uses? At some level that's true but I think that sometimes people make distinctions between tablets and say laptops and desktops that's quite artificial. I think people want to the same kinds of things on computers regardless of the form factor.

Their best way to protest would be to just not buy it. Then again I'm sure all the Android based stuff is made in China, if, at the same factories. They probably even use some of the same molds for certain parts. It's not just an Apple thing.

I'm sure Nike Air Jordan owners threw them away the day they heard they were being made by child labor... :rolleyes:

This. Fucking democrats have nothing better to do then throw Apple under the bus because of Chinas living/employment situation? Goto hell. There are thousands of companies who buy from Fox. Go mess with them first.

Vastly different intended uses? At some level that's true but I think that sometimes people make distinctions between tablets and say laptops and desktops that's quite artificial. I think people want to the same kinds of things on computers regardless of the form factor.

Well how about this, you wouldn't purchase a $1200 device to be able to access an app store or read a book. You wouldn't purchase a $500 device and expect to be able to do word processing reliably on it.

This is retarded. If you don't like Apple's business practices, don't buy their products. What these people are basically doing is they're making everyone think they care, without actually caring.

What do you expect. These are typical liberals, do as I say, not as I do........

Their best way to protest would be to just not buy it. Then again I'm sure all the Android based stuff is made in China, if, at the same factories. They probably even use some of the same molds for certain parts. It's not just an Apple thing.

Other phone makers use the factories that are even worse than the ones Apple uses. Foxconn is one of the best places to work in China. Apple not only audits better than the other phone makers, but also makes the results publicly available, unlike its competitors:

http://blog.laptopmag.com/labor-activist-apple-best-at-auditing-factories-still-not-doing-enough

What do you expect. These are typical liberals, do as I say, not as I do........

Since you want to inject politics into this: Newt banging a woman not his wife while going after President for lying about getting oral from a woman not his wife. Typical republicans, do as I say, not as I do...

There's a lot of misconceptions about making products here in USA.

#2 China isn't known for quality.

#3 America is being extracted. Actually every modern country is, cause everyone buys their products from China. American supplies pretty much nothing, except services. If we don't make anything, then we're giving money away to corporations. I know people like to blame China, but it's really the companies that make it out big. They'll do anything to make a bigger profit really. Once all the money is in China, then they'll focus on extracting them.

Neither is America a lot of the time. Just look at some of the cars produced back in the 70 & 80’s.

While a lot of what comes from china is junk, their quality is improving. At one time almost anything made in Japan was considered junk, yet they eventually went on to make some of the highest quality products in the world. However, I don’t see china ever having the consistently high quality products like Japan due to the cultural difference. The reason I’ll never buy food that comes from China is that you never know when someone cut corners to make a quick buck.

As for blaming corporations, I put just as much blame on excessive government regulations that increase costs so much that it’s easier and cheaper to move manufacturing over seas.

People are being skinned alive all across the south, beheadings, dismembered bodies, all kinds of horrible shit going down.

...and people are protesting Apple for the production of parts in an iPhone.
What the fuck is wrong with people.

You HAVE to be high.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB112LL/B

$49 for a $2 mouse. Because it has one button. Oh, and apple now has invented the scroll wheel too. Plus it is white. OBVIOUSLY worth $49.

The fact is people only buy apple because it is hip. Yes, apple invented the ipod market and had no competition for years. Possibly you could say this about the iphone too.. in 2007. Not now. Every product apple makes is inferior to current market products be it in the PC market, the phone market, the tablet market. Props to apple for being marketing geniuses, but there is absolutely no way you can justify paying what apple charges and suggest someone is getting their money's worth.

Ok, now YOU have to be high. Comparing the 'magic mouse' is really a joke.

Iphone starting with the 3GS was just a better smart phone. Until Android met large adoption by Samsung and HTC, Apple had no competition. However, to say that now that its 2011, none of apple's products are worth the money... you're on drugs.

The Iphone 4 & 4S are comparable in hardware to the Samsung Galaxy S II, minus the screen. (I've held the S II, it'screen is too big for my hand, and I'm a big guy).

Apple Monitors are usually S-IPS or H-IPS panels. Those panels are not cheap like TN or crap IPS panels.

The products I think they need to re-evaluate the pricing are....

Mac Pro - The case is horrible and provides little to no sound damping, which makes it LOUD. Dollar for Dollar, the exact part numbers purchased separately from vendors equals to be about the same. Not including the OS, apps, warranty, and support.

People are being skinned alive all across the south, beheadings, dismembered bodies, all kinds of horrible shit going down.

...and people are protesting Apple for the production of parts in an iPhone.
What the fuck is wrong with people.

Not everyone is a Linux lover I guess ;)

You believe info as reported by a Communist government? I have a bridge to sell you.

Major difference between an open democratic country and a closed communist one. Back to school for you.

Thats nothing to do with what was said? Where was communist goverment data used? Unless the WHO works for china...

But you believe the US open and democratic and not prone to lying about stuff and corruption? I have a bridge to sell you too :p

Back