AMD, Where Are You?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atom

Gawd
RX 480? That the best you got? GTX 1070 and 1080 have been out for a little bit now. What? You worried about power consumption? Your loyal base never cared about that. What? Fury? How about a 6 or 8 gb version. Are you listening?

Nope. We are too busy making consoles for the children. Just hook up 4 of those in crossfire and ignore the stuttering.

Reactions: DPI
like this
Fury X is an excellent card (I own one and am very pleased with it). For practical purposes it is nearly the equivalent to the 1070 which came out a full year later.

RX480 is so popular they still can't keep them on the shelves.

AMD stock has basically tripled in the last four months.

Despite not releasing a killer card they are doing better than they have for some time.

I guess the question I am asking, is AMD going to take their video card brand to the same approach as CPU division? No point in trying to compete as an enthusiast brand anymore?

Vega with many shaders 2017 - there you go. It will be here before you can blink an eye or two . . .

When we see Vega with 5120 GCN CUs clocked at 1200+ and 8Gb HBM, we will have a proper 1080 competitor.

But they're already telling me they provide a premium VR experience, so why bother going any further?
Yep, AMD marketing at it's best - devoid of any reality - maybe in a game with an AMD video card (in the game) it is the king of the world and VR premium, of course the game is being run by a Nvidia card with a Vive :love:.

Fury X is an excellent card (I own one and am very pleased with it). For practical purposes it is nearly the equivalent to the 1070 which came out a full year later.

Assuming you can get one that doesn't have the pump whine issue, overall since they launched I've went through 5 of them, 2 at launch which were returned, and a few over the last few months for other builds for people, the most recent of which was today and all had the supposed "fixed" issue. =/

they are off working on zen and vega they cant afford to pay enough employees to work on that many projects...

Assuming you can get one that doesn't have the pump whine issue, overall since they launched I've went through 5 of them, 2 at launch which were returned, and a few over the last few months for other builds for people, the most recent of which was today and all had the supposed "fixed" issue. =/
What frequency is the whine? I don't hear above 16khz, but if it's not above that frequency then I don't have any whine on my first go. Who hoo! It's seldom I get lucky with technology.

Mine is a XFX Fury X

What frequency is the whine? I don't hear above 16khz, but if it's not above that frequency then I don't have any whine on my first go. Who hoo! It's seldom I get lucky with technology.

Mine is a XFX Fury X

No idea but it's pretty fucking irritating, once you notice it then it's just always there. Make of card really makes no difference as they're all a reference design anyway. I've had a gigabyte an Asus and 3 sapphires, all had the issue.

RX480 is so popular they still can't keep them on the shelves.

AMD stock has basically tripled in the last four months.

Despite not releasing a killer card they are doing better than they have for some time.
don't tell it to the fanboys.

I miss the old days, when I was so impressed by my Athlon Barton 2500+ and 9500 Pro.
Along with the rest of the original R3xx lineup (Radeon 9700, Radeon 9800, Radeon 9600, and their AIW variants).

I still have the AIW 9700 Pro (the first AIW to not suffer from underclocking compared to the non-AIW version); the ONLY failure it had was the power cable. (Connect a floppy power cable and all was right again - I still keep it in the spare drawer.)

Along with the rest of the original R3xx lineup (Radeon 9700, Radeon 9800, Radeon 9600, and their AIW variants).

I still have the AIW 9700 Pro (the first AIW to not suffer from underclocking compared to the non-AIW version); the ONLY failure it had was the power cable. (Connect a floppy power cable and all was right again - I still keep it in the spare drawer.)

Back in those days nVidia started releasing cards that required two slots for the first time because of heat issues and chewed up power. ATi and their fanboys gave them tons of crap for being extremely hot and inefficient. My how times have changed.

Nah, they moved everything to China remember? Not sure there are any Americans left.

Not a fan of Israel but it seems to be working great for Intel. Americans aren't the pinnacle of human evolution and education, bruh.

Not a fan of Israel but it seems to be working great for Intel. Americans aren't the pinnacle of human evolution and education, bruh.

It's more about jobs & economics.

Back in those days nVidia started releasing cards that required two slots for the first time because of heat issues and chewed up power. ATi and their fanboys gave them tons of crap for being extremely hot and inefficient. My how times have changed.
Yea but so did AMD, 9000 series was beast mode, then came the R5xx series (AKA the Xbox 360 Chip) and i recall when i replaced my 9600 AIW, with an X800XL it was dual slot like the GT6800 series and up.

Yea but so did AMD, 9000 series was beast mode, then came the R5xx series (AKA the Xbox 360 Chip) and i recall when i replaced my 9600 AIW, with an X800XL it was dual slot like the GT6800 series and up.

The X800 cards were all single slot (even my X800 XT AIW was single slot.) It wasn't until the X1800 series that ATi went Dual slot. They spent the entire 9000 and X800 series of cards ragging on nVidia for their high end cards being hot, loud, and inefficient. Of course it wasn't too long after that AMD bought out ATi and their chips started to suck more frequently than not and by that time everyone was dual-slot and people forgot about all the BS they were giving nVidia for it and just accepted it.

The X800 cards were all single slot (even my X800 XT AIW was single slot.) It wasn't until the X1800 series that ATi went Dual slot. They spent the entire 9000 and X800 series of cards ragging on nVidia for their high end cards being hot, loud, and inefficient. Of course it wasn't too long after that AMD bought out ATi and their chips started to suck more frequently than not and by that time everyone was dual-slot and people forgot about all the BS they were giving nVidia for it and just accepted it.
You forgot X850 XT and XT PE cards. Those were dual slot.

The glory days of AMD are over, but I have a shred of hope for them in 2017 to be considered an enthusiast/performance option again. Competition is a good thing and leads to price breaks.

You forgot X850 XT and XT PE cards. Those were dual slot.

Ah, you're right. I completely forgot about the 850. The X800 XT cards already outperformed the 6800 Ultra and the X850 cards were just kind of a middle finger to nVidia but they did have 2-slot cooling. They were still extremely power efficient though compared to the nvidia cards of the time.

Ah, you're right. I completely forgot about the 850. The X800 XT cards already outperformed the 6800 Ultra and the X850 cards were just kind of a middle finger to nVidia but they did have 2-slot cooling. They were still extremely power efficient though compared to the nvidia cards of the time.
yea i guess im so used to dual slot i remembered incorrectly lol, i had to look up my old card to make sure

yea i guess im so used to dual slot i remembered incorrectly lol, i had to look up my old card to make sure

Yeah, it was quite a while ago. I just find it interesting how things have switched around since then. After nVidia got so much crap about the 5800 Ultra and the 6800 Ultra (to a lesser degree) they really started talking about efficiency and performance per watt. That experience helped them in the long run. Every company stumbles, I just hope AMD hasn't gone down so far they can't come back. I like seeing them in the higher end space.

It is absolutely imperative that AMD get ZEN right and I think that's where most of their resources are going right now. Once they get ZEN out and, if it doesn't mirror Bulldozer, they can start sinking resources into Vega/Navi.

Yeah, it was quite a while ago. I just find it interesting how things have switched around since then. After nVidia got so much crap about the 5800 Ultra and the 6800 Ultra (to a lesser degree) they really started talking about efficiency and performance per watt. That experience helped them in the long run. Every company stumbles, I just hope AMD hasn't gone down so far they can't come back. I like seeing them in the higher end space.
Intel did the same after watching AMD Barton cores whoop their bum bum, when they were just dumping voltage to raise clockspeed and generating SHIT TONS of heat in their P4 cpus. Then came Core 2 Duo, and then came the new nVidia cards, and things became different for the red and green boys, and suddenly being blue and green was better, more expensive sure, but better.

It is absolutely imperative that AMD get ZEN right and I think that's where most of their resources are going right now. Once they get ZEN out and, if it doesn't mirror Bulldozer, they can start sinking resources into Vega/Navi.

I think you're right. At this point they are refining it for a smooth launch unlike the past launches.

That's, uh, not how chip development works.

I'm satisfied with my r9 Fury for the moment. Don't want to spend any more.

My money is going towards a new desk and keyboard. I've got my system on an old ping pong table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back