AMD to launch 390x in June @ Computex

glenn37216

Limp Gawd
For those waiting on the 3xx series of cards it looks like the wait is going to be a little longer than AMD anticipated a few months ago.

It seems that the 2XX series had a bad quarter and distributers want a little more time to sell off their stock before the next gen cards are released.

-Bummer for all of us going through the Tax season PC upgrades. :(

Source :

http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...-its-radeon-r9-300-series-lineup-at-computex/

AMD is giving Nvidia too much time to roll out a series of GM200 cards, at least that's the message I got from the Titan X announcement. By the time AMD launches the cards in June, and they hit shelves in July, Nvidia will be poised to release a new line of cards if that's what they aim to do.

At first it seemed like AMD was skipping a generation to get a head start on the next but now, delay after delay, they're just falling farther behind and leaving pot holes in their product line-up. The longer they sit on 200 series cards the more time they're handing to Nvidia. Not a good idea for them... 2 years between flagships. Just ridiculous.

I think, years from now, when we look back on AMD's ultimate demise this will be the point where it all started.

I agree.

They're losing a huge market share to Intel in the cpu world and now they seem to be losing the gpu market to Nvidia as well.

I just don't think the new CEO has the knowledge to let AMD grow like it did in its peak early days. Bad business decisions are happening everywhere you look.

I'm waiting for Nvidia to drop its price on the 970 and 980's 100.00 or more in the next week or so to take advantage of AMD's absence of their flagship cards.

- AMD is going to have to do a lot of digging to come out of this deep financial hole their in now. Whatever the case they have a lot riding on their 3xx cards....

Last edited:
the 390x is ready as it was the card powering amd's vr demo at GDC. the thing to take away from this is a complete series of cards ie we wont get 2 top end cards and then a shitload of re-brands as originally planned.

Can't we keep it in one thread?

A June/July release is just sandbagging.

The management at AMD needs to be fired. They started to ramp production for the mining craze after it was done and where left to hang and dry. Now they need to dump the massive amounts of the old and are losing so much because of the waiting. Just so bad, I hate to say it but AMD is going to need a buy out to survive at the rate new management is doing stupid things.

Damn June? I remember when My father left AMD (processor validation lab) back in 2004 he said the company was on a bad course. He felt they were making poor decisions business wise and that it would eventually bury them.

This sucks cause Intel and Nvidia need some real competition.

I thought June was pretty much confirmed as the time-frame for awhile now

I hope AMD gets their shit together here pretty soon, or this is going to be a replay of Intel leaving them in the dust 10 years ago on the CPU side. Nvidia is all too happy to just keep trickling out a marginally better card every time AMD finally releases something. We need some real competition again.

I think, years from now, when we look back on AMD's ultimate demise this will be the point where it all started.

No, the point where it all started was in 2006 when AMD acquired ATI.
As much as I like their GPUs and used to like their CPUs, it has become a slow sinking ship.

Hopefully these new GPUs will do well.
NVIDIA really needs an ass kicking right now, especially after their most recent behavior.

The management at AMD needs to be fired. They started to ramp production for the mining craze after it was done and where left to hang and dry. Now they need to dump the massive amounts of the old and are losing so much because of the waiting. Just so bad, I hate to say it but AMD is going to need a buy out to survive at the rate new management is doing stupid things.

FYI- It wasn't about GPU production, there was a shortage of other components that were needed that affected the supply of cards.

We are confident that as we get into the second half of 2015 with the launch of that [new graphics] product, we will gain back the market share which is low from my standpoint and historically,” said Devinder Kumar, chief financial officer of AMD. “We need to be significantly higher than where we are right now.”

Historically low market share. I had mentioned this in another thread and was questioned over it. Now that their chief financial officer has said it, I think people will realize just how dire the situation is for AMD right now.

Historically low market share. I had mentioned this in another thread and was questioned over it. Now that their chief financial officer has said it, I think people will realize just how dire the situation is for AMD right now.
Question over it how, exactly? AMD has always had low market share.
Unless there are people dumb enough to believe the market runs an even 50/50 split. Maybe the recent 970 issues have people giving AMD more credit than they deserve. Even after all those problems, AMD is still probably at an all-time low.

Like I said in another thread, this is the beginning of the end for AMD. Maybe a company with some sense will buy them out and put them on the right track... I don't know how those kinds of things work in the PC industry, though.

It seems that the 2XX series had a bad quarter and distributers want a little more time to sell off their stock before the next gen cards are released.

That's a horrible idea from AMD's standpoint. Get the venders who are willing to go and launch it Let the others recoup cards from 18 months ago all they want, they should have slowed production down drastically months ago anyways seeing as how AMD didn't lose 11% market share overnight. It happened over the course of this 18 months.

If AMD is ready to go in say, March, intentionally holding off another 3 months is only going to hurt them. With the Titan X announcement it's a matter of 1-2 months before it's released if not surprisingly at GTC. By the time June comes around 16nm will be just about ready for mass production (hopefully unless there is a 3rd delay) and expect GTX 1000 by the end of the year.

Lose money on a dead generation now or suffer for another two generations. Choice is AMD's, NOT the venders at this point.

Yeah how's that news? AMD has always had a small market share. Yeah it sucks they're delaying the 390x but I don't see it as the end of the world for AMD. I don't think AMD's future is in our segment anyway. They've pretty much abandoned the desktop CPU market in favor of low powering mobile platforms. I don't think they give 2 shits about this segment so if their future isn't in desktop, why care if you have to delay your new GPU line a couple months?

I don't know why people are comparing the upcoming 390X to the Titan X. They aren't comparable and aren't intended to be.

The Titan X is a halo product aimed primarily as a cheap workstation card that they will of course sell to gamers who have $1000+ to blow on a GPU, but it's not intended for the gaming market.

FYI- It wasn't about GPU production, there was a shortage of other components that were needed that affected the supply of cards.

There were too many cards made and none of the retailers could sell them all. That is GPU over-production. There was no shortage of components. :rolleyes:

Edit: The articular that was posted by the OP can clear this up for you.

There were too many cards made and none of the retailers could sell them all. That is GPU over-production. There was no shortage of components. :rolleyes:

Edit: The articular that was posted by the OP can clear this up for you.

They didn't miss the mining craze because of not ramping up GPU production, that is a falsehood. There was a shortage of other components needed to build cards.

Read up about wafer and production contracts in semiconductors and you might understand what I'm talking about.

They didn't miss the mining craze because of not ramping up GPU production, that is a falsehood. There was a shortage of other components needed to build cards.

Read up about wafer and production contracts in semiconductors and you might understand what I'm talking about.

Yes I know about contracts and how wafers are made. I also know that wafers take a while to make and if that is the lack of components you were talking about then you are correct. AMD did not have enough GPUs for the mining craze, but they placed orders to make more for the future (with anticipation there would be more good sales). When the mining craze was done there was an influx of AMD GPUs that were being sold really cheap. AMD's new card batches were finished/ and continued to be made but were not sold. That means they made to many GPUs for the market and that stuffed the pipeline really good. Now they are trying to sell all the old 2xx cards before the new ones come out. Hence the delay for the 3xx series.

In any case upper management of AMD made bad decisions and those decisions have lead to AMD losing more and more market-share to Nvidia. It was reported that Nvidia had close to 76% market share some time ago. That must have only grown in size as there are no new AMD GPU's the 2xx series is not selling well (according to partners) and Nvidia has better cards out right now. The heavy loss of market-share may lead to another AMD vs Intel but this time AMD vs Nvidia, and quite frankly nvidia is starting to pull away from AMD more and more.

Edit: here is the link for the over production/ inadequate sales of the 2xx series Link

Last edited:
Yes I know about contracts and how wafers are made. I also know that wafers take a while to make and if that is the lack of components you were talking about then you are correct. AMD did not have enough GPUs for the mining craze, but they placed orders to make more for the future (with anticipation there would be more good sales). When the mining craze was done there was an influx of AMD GPUs that were being sold really cheap. AMD's new card batches were finished/ and continued to be made but were not sold. That means they made to many GPUs for the market and that stuffed the pipeline really good. Now they are trying to sell all the old 2xx cards before the new ones come out. Hence the delay for the 3xx series.

In any case upper management of AMD made bad decisions and those decisions have lead to AMD losing more and more market-share to Nvidia. It was reported that Nvidia had close to 76% market share some time ago. That must have only grown in size as there are no new AMD GPU's the 2xx series is not selling well (according to partners) and Nvidia has better cards out right now. The heavy loss of market-share may lead to another AMD vs Intel but this time AMD vs Nvidia, and quite frankly nvidia is starting to pull away from AMD more and more.

Edit: here is the link for the over production/ inadequate sales of the 2xx series Link

No. Any GPU production shortage story you read is what the fluff rumor mill tech sites told you.What actually happened is a different story. The two most reliable hints at the time were the lower binned GDDR5 inventory ran out, which is why there was two different types of GDDR5 on the launch Hawaiis, and that there wasn't enough of the digital voltage controllers.

Edit- FYI your article is not talking about a specific market. They could be talking about any number of AMD products.
The write down in inventory was mainly older APUs, as was stated in their 10k.

Last edited:
No. That is what the fluff rumor mill tech sites told you.
What actually happened is a different story.

Left an article in there with facts for you to check out. No one is imagining this problem, it is quite real and how it came to be is no mystery either.

But if you would like to enlighten me as to what you think the real story is I would be more than happy to hear you out. And if it's not asking to much can you please include some sources so that I can browse through them. Thanks.

Left an article in there with facts for you to check out. No one is imagining this problem, it is quite real and how it came to be is no mystery either.

But if you would like to enlighten me as to what you think the real story is I would be more than happy to hear you out. And if it's not asking to much can you please include some sources so that I can browse through them. Thanks.

Updated my post with more information.
Not going to find all the articles that correlate with the info I got but here is one that confirmed the info about a component shortage with AIBs.

http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-r9-series-short-supply-due-lack-skus-extreme-demand/

I don't know why people are comparing the upcoming 390X to the Titan X. They aren't comparable and aren't intended to be.

The Titan X is a halo product aimed primarily as a cheap workstation card that they will of course sell to gamers who have $1000+ to blow on a GPU, but it's not intended for the gaming market.

-B838A732D6C5AC22C5CE835CECE0FAD93AAF92E8A1AB675E5C-pimgpsh_fullsize_distr_w_600.jpg

It's going to be compared, I mean look above. ^

AMD has to deliver, otherwise it's the Titan Deja Vu from 2 years ago all over again where we wait 4+ months for an answer and then Nvidia comes out with a Ti and eventual Black to take the crown.

Hope HBM is the bee's knees because it needs to be at this point. Record low market share..AMD needs to compete with someone to survive.

No. Any GPU production shortage story you read is what the fluff rumor mill tech sites told you.What actually happened is a different story. The two most reliable hints at the time were the lower binned GDDR5 inventory ran out, which is why there was two different types of GDDR5 on the launch Hawaiis, and that there wasn't enough of the digital voltage controllers.

Edit- FYI your article is not talking about a specific market. They could be talking about any number of AMD products.
The write down in inventory was mainly older APUs, as was stated in their 10k.

First of all there was a shortage of Gpu's during the mining craze as this was not an anticipated thing and they cannot magically start to produce more gpu's to meet demand. If the shortage was caused by a lack of gddr5 and digital voltage controllers there was still a production shortage on top of all the demand.

The article is very broad so it covering all the chips AMD is making and Gpus are chips.
In the article that the OP posted there was a note that there were to many 2xx Gpus and that they were not being sold. See how a logical person would make a connection that is clearly there.

So to sum it up for you, AMD cannot sell their cards (2xx) and they have delayed the 3xx in hopes of unstuffing the channel. Very bad business decisions for a number of reasons.

It's going to be compared, I mean look above. ^

AMD has to deliver, otherwise it's the Titan Deja Vu from 2 years ago all over again where we wait 4+ months for an answer and then Nvidia comes out with a Ti and eventual Black to take the crown.

Hope HBM is the bee's knees because it needs to be at this point. Record low market share..AMD needs to compete with someone to survive.

Titan X is a full GPU, they don't have anything but overclocked models that can increase performance over it. All they can do is hope their cutdown GeForce version can compete with whatever AMD has.

First of all there was a shortage of Gpu's during the mining craze as this was not an anticipated thing and they cannot magically start to produce more gpu's to meet demand. If the shortage was caused by a lack of gddr5 and digital voltage controllers there was still a production shortage.

The article is very broad so it covering all the chips AMD is making and Gpus are chips.
In the article that the OP posted there was a note that there were to many 2xx Gpus and that they were not being sold. See how a logical person would make a connection that is clearly there.

So to sum it up for you, AMD cannot sell their cards (2xx) and they have delayed the 3xx in hopes of unstuffing the channel. Very bad business decisions for a number of reasons.

AMD sandbagging.

Just like how everyone was trying to tell me in Feb 2013 that AMD wasn't launching any GPUs for the rest of the year.
I was the lone voice saying that they were definitely launching more GPUs before the end of 2013...

AMD sandbagging.

Just like how everyone was trying to tell me in Feb 2013 that AMD wasn't launching any GPUs for the rest of the year.
I was the lone voice saying that they were definitely launching more GPUs before the end of 2013...

Well they sandbagged themselves to possibly only 20% of the GPU market-share by now. Some of those in upper management must have a plan that I cannot see.

Probably because everyone knows the Titan X will drop first and then a couple months later that same chip will be milked down as a cheaper Titan or 980 Ti, which many scoffed was not in the plans months ago when people asked about a 980 Ti.

History speaks for itself. The 600/700 Series laid the ground work. Also the 390x2 has already been in the works in the rumor mill for months so there is a solid reasoning for anyone comparing it to the 390X whose specs would match it evenly.

As far as the Titan > Halo product. I think it's time we drop the act as if Nvidia is just shitting miracle GPU's because it can. To pretend like this wasn't always the plan is just insulting to the brilliant minds at Nvidia and people who saw this coming before the 900 Series launched. They don't just crap these out and see how well it sells. They knew from the dual chip GPU's exactly where the market was and knew a single monster of a chip would sell them even more than a dual GPU design would.

Of course they will release the Titan X first. The Titan X will most likely have full speed dual precision FP which the rest of the product stack doesn't offer (thus the whole workstation card comment). Dual precision FP does nothing for gamers, but does allow them to jack the MSRP up because it will still come in far below the comparable Quadro cards that have that feature, and they will sell as many of those as they can before releasing a cut down version without dual precision FP and less RAM, but that trumps the current 980 in gaming performance and falls just shy of the Titan X, for half the price. This maximizes their profits.

It will be interesting to see how the 390X stacks up. I expect it will be pretty stout, but we don't have any real #s on either the Fiji GPU or GM200.

interesting. June eh? A lil late. Could be a problem for both companies.

#1. Nvidia Releases Titan X first for $1350 (rumored price). Then AMD releases the 390x ($499 rumored price) which beats or matches the Titan X in performance.

#2. AMD releases the 390x first, Nvidia waits then releases the Titan X which beats the 390x, and AMD is left behind again.

Knowing the last 2-3 years. Nvidia will release Titan X first overpriced, and milk money from the rich people who have no problem wasting money then bitch and complain about getting beat in performance for $400-500 less. (Same thing happened with Titan and the 780/780ti).

Either way interesting times ahead. for both companies.

Cheap vs. what? Workstation card running Geforce drivers? They're talking over $1300 and it's likely not going to be as powerful in DP as the W8100 with 2.1 tflops, which sells for $1050. Including ECC RAM, pro drivers, and support for professional applications.

the Titan is, and always has been, an e-peen card. Nothing else.

^^^This^^^ Another blunder under Rory Read. Everything AMD did while he was CEO went to shit.

Well they sandbagged themselves to possibly only 20% of the GPU market-share by now. Some of those in upper management must have a plan that I cannot see.

Well the rumored release date might be sandbagging. The need to clear inventory seems to be legit though.

interesting. June eh? A lil late. Could be a problem for both companies.

#1. Nvidia Releases Titan X first for $1350 (rumored price). Then AMD releases the 390x ($499 rumored price) which beats or matches the Titan X in performance.

#2. AMD releases the 390x first, Nvidia waits then releases the Titan X which beats the 390x, and AMD is left behind again.

Knowing the last 2-3 years. Nvidia will release Titan X first overpriced, and milk money from the rich people who have no problem wasting money then bitch and complain about getting beat in performance for $400-500 less. (Same thing happened with Titan and the 780/780ti).

Either way interesting times ahead. for both companies.

I hope to God AMD doesn't ask for $500 on there new cards with HBM. They need to price it higher otherwise where is there income? Even if the new Titan is $1k, I bet they can get away with $750 and still get buyers. Didn't people buy that ultra expensive 8 core AM3+ chip for $700+ that was basically junk? And that isn't even nearly as good as what the 390X should be.

Unless so many in the red camp believe AMD is a charity and won't charge more when they can. There main goal is to beat the 980, at least, and hope they can put a fight against the cut down versions of Gm200, and especially the custom ones (get ready for Lightnings!!). AMD can't be on life support from FaceBook and others for various projects forever now.

Not sure why I care though, it's not like games lately are worth buying. I guess just seeing how these cards evolve over the years and become real beasts at what they do. Kind of like watching society I suppose.

I hope to God AMD doesn't ask for $500 on there new cards with HBM. They need to price it higher otherwise where is there income? Even if the new Titan is $1k, I bet they can get away with $750 and still get buyers. Didn't people buy that ultra expensive 8 core AM3+ chip for $700+ that was basically junk? And that isn't even nearly as good as what the 390X should be.

Unless so many in the red camp believe AMD is a charity and won't charge more when they can. There main goal is to beat the 980, at least, and hope they can put a fight against the cut down versions of Gm200, and especially the custom ones (get ready for Lightnings!!). AMD can't be on life support from FaceBook and others for various projects forever now.

Not sure why I care though, it's not like games lately are worth buying. I guess just seeing how these cards evolve over the years and become real beasts at what they do. Kind of like watching society I suppose.

I would hope AMD's goal is to beat Titan X, and not the 980. Because thats the card they need to worry about.

AMD already lost this round to the 980.

It should easily beat the 980 given the rumored specs we have seen, and the various things about HBM and it's capacities vs, GDDR5. The current AMD cards are not that behind the 900 series. AMD just needs something with HDMI 2.0 out I think. They are losing out on those, yes maybe few people but still, that bought a 4k TV and are pairing it with there new 960/970/980 because that's the only option.

I've heard rumors this new Nvidia card has 8 GHz Samsung memory now which intrigues me. I wonder how really high clocked DDR5 (one might say mature I guess?) will compete against an early stage of HBM.

It should easily beat the 980 given the rumored specs we have seen, and the various things about HBM and it's capacities vs, GDDR5. The current AMD cards are not that behind the 900 series. AMD just needs something with HDMI 2.0 out I think. They are losing out on those, yes maybe few people but still, that bought a 4k TV and are pairing it with there new 960/970/980 because that's the only option.

I've heard rumors this new Nvidia card has 8 GHz Samsung memory now which intrigues me. I wonder how really high clocked DDR5 (one might say mature I guess?) will compete against an early stage of HBM.

Still wouldn't touch HBM Bandwidth. Also some people have no issues getting 8ghz on the 970/980's now.

Still wouldn't touch HBM Bandwidth. Also some people have no issues getting 8ghz on the 970/980's now.

If that's the case then there's possibilities of 9 GHz speeds after overclocking then on GM200? If they have 8 GHz as a stock speed and can overclock as easily as we've seen with the little side of Maxwell.

If it does outperform ddr5 by so much, then I really doubt it will be under $600 for the card unless Nvidia does something to make them lower them prices.

If that's the case then there's possibilities of 9 GHz speeds after overclocking then on GM200? If they have 8 GHz as a stock speed and can overclock as easily as we've seen with the little side of Maxwell.

If it does outperform ddr5 by so much, then I really doubt it will be under $600 for the card unless Nvidia does something to make them lower them prices.

totally possible. Even then though 9ghz wouldn't match the HBM bandwidth.

Either way (and I could be wrong) but I dont see it going past 8ghz by much.

Of course this is all speculation.

Back