AMD to launch 390x in June @ Computex

No, the point where it all started was in 2006 when AMD acquired ATI.
As much as I like their GPUs and used to like their CPUs, it has become a slow sinking ship.

Hopefully these new GPUs will do well.
NVIDIA really needs an ass kicking right now, especially after their most recent behavior.

I'm under the impressing that the ATI acquisition is what's keeping them afloat now. AMD never had the resources to compete with Intel in the long run, and they probably saw low power SoC as the emerging market and decided to acquire ATI (as they needed a graphic component) and focus on that segment.

I could be wrong, but I don't think AMD's future depends on their discrete GPU business. It wouldn't surprise me if AMD drop out of the high performance GPU segment in the future and focus on their SoC product. It's expensive to remain competitive in the discrete GPU market, and I'm not sure if the market size is huge enough to justify it, especially for a company like AMD. SoC on the other hand have a wide range of application.

It isn't just the speed bin of the GDDR5, you need to have +8ghz capable IMC's on the GPU and increase the layers of the PCB due to the increased power, frequency and bus size.

8ghz GDDR5 on a 512bit interface gets the same bandwidth as 4 stacks of 1st gen HBM at more than double the power cost.

It isn't just the speed bin of the GDDR5, you need to have +8ghz capable IMC's on the GPU and increase the layers of the PCB due to the increased power, frequency and bus size.

8ghz GDDR5 on a 512bit interface gets the same bandwidth as 4 stacks of 1st gen HBM at more than double the power cost.

It's too bad then the Titan X is only 384bit. Still is going to be left behind in memory bandwidth.

Doesn't mean it isn't going to be slow. Just at higher resolution it might lag behind like the 980's do against the 290x's.

I'm under the impressing that the ATI acquisition is what's keeping them afloat now. AMD never had the resources to compete with Intel in the long run, and they probably saw low power SoC as the emerging market and decided to acquire ATI (as they needed a graphic component) and focus on that segment.

I could be wrong, but I don't think AMD's future depends on their discrete GPU business. It wouldn't surprise me if AMD drop out of the high performance GPU segment in the future and focus on their SoC product. It's expensive to remain competitive in the discrete GPU market, and I'm not sure if the market size is huge enough to justify it, especially for a company like AMD. SoC on the other hand have a wide range of application.

In 2013 the GPU business was 41% of their revenue. Looking at market share now it's probably around 20-30%? It's a huge growth opportunity though.

It's too bad then the Titan X is only 384bit. Still is going to be left behind in memory bandwidth.

Doesn't mean it isn't going to be slow. Just at higher resolution it might lag behind like the 980's do against the 290x's.

At 4GB it should be more than enough. So in comparisons against the 390x which should be limited to 4GB I don't think it'll be hurting.

You'll probably be limited to ~40 FPS at 12GB usage though.

Last edited:

This could be the case, but so far, Intel and ARM are trumping them in the SoC area.
I don't see too many AMD SoC tablets, as they are all pretty much Intel (Atom) or ARM based.

It's actually really sad, and if AMD ever does go the way of the dinosaurs, I can guarantee you there will be a stagnation of CPU/GPU technology, far more than we are seeing now, for years to come, not to mention highly inflated prices.
I remember when CPUs used to cost between $1k-2k by themselves. :eek:

AMD is preventing that from happening right now; though, to be fair, if Intel went away, I wouldn't be surprised to see AMD do the same thing - remember the FX-60 (939) for $1200? :D

With memory pooling, at least for multi-gpu setups, individual card vram should gradually be much less of an issue going forward.

It would be smart of AMD to ditch the high end discrete GPU business and focus on mid/low end + more resources into APUs. They also have an ARM initiative for servers last I checked and enterprise is where the real money is at. They just stand to lose money focusing on consumer graphics against NVIDIA and I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to exit soon.

Oh, how could I ever forget?!

http://i.imgur.com/vSC7gGa.png

Oh man, that brought back soooo many memories of 2006.
This was around the time when AMD was still at its zenith, right before they purchased ATI and Intel brought down the hammer that was the Core 2 "Conroe" architecture.

Wow, an FX-62; that had to be one of the last FX processors released where the "FX" actually meant, and stood for, performance.
Good times! :cool:

It would be smart of AMD to ditch the high end discrete GPU business and focus on mid/low end + more resources into APUs. They also have an ARM initiative for servers last I checked and enterprise is where the real money is at. They just stand to lose money focusing on consumer graphics against NVIDIA and I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to exit soon.

They are just moving back to actually competing in the highend with their own highend discrete GPU, and you are telling them to ditch it when they have released only one sorta highend ASIC in the last 8years?

I think HMB memory is the same memory gimmick used in Xbox One.

lets be for real here, you are going to run out of 4gb vram waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before you use all that memory bandwidth.

I think HMB memory is the same memory gimmick used in Xbox One.

lets be for real here, you are going to run out of 4gb vram waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before you use all that memory bandwidth.

What? No, HBM is not used in the Xbox One.
No, it is not similar to the eSRAM used in the Xbox One.
eSRAM is used like a L4 cache and is only 32mb.

Other than some textures, most of the data stored in VRAM is relatively small and will benefit from having the higher bandwidth.
Lower latency and more bandwidth with a big savings in power consumption is a win, win, win scenario even if capacity is somewhat limited for 1st Gen.

They are just moving back to actually competing in the highend with their own highend discrete GPU, and you are telling them to ditch it when they have released only one sorta highend ASIC in the last 8years?

I forget, you are the man who claims that the "flagship" GPU never drops. As soon as they release the top dog, you are constantly saying how its not the "flagship" and that will come in 6 months to a year.

What is high end to you? Please inform me because the way I see it, NV and AMD go back and forth as to who has the top high end GPU. Just to go in the way back machine a little bit...

6970 vs 580 - Released within a month of each other. 6970 price to performance blew away GTX580 while the 580 was a little faster.

7970 vs 680 - 7970 Released 4 months earlier or about if I remember right. Trade blows stock for stock. 7970 cheaper and OC like a beast.

R9-290x vs GTX780 - 290x beat out the 780. Upon release of the "flagship" as you call it, the 780Ti, only then was the 290x slightly slower but at a much better price. NV also had better power consumption and temperatures, but who cares if you are dealing with high end?

So please tell me, when the fuck has AMD not competed in the high end discrete GPU market?

**And just to add, AMD has been first to the punch for years. Until this last release of the 290x, they have been pretty on par with NV releases or early. The last release(s) (both R9 cards) now have been 6+ months (well see about the R9-3xx series) behind NV.**

Last edited:

I don't think you would use that memory bandwidth either unless you were running setting that would be about 2 FPS anyway.... But too much is better than not enough

I forget, you are the man who claims that the "flagship" GPU never drops. As soon as they release the top dog, you are constantly saying how its not the "flagship" and that will come in 6 months to a year.

So please tell me, when the fuck has AMD not competed in the high end discrete GPU market?

I have never stated that... Since I have been spot on in the last 4 generations of GPU launches.

Do you remember when AMD went to their small die strategy?
Explained here and here.

R600 was their last "large" flagship ASIC.
RV670 was a shrink and was small.
RV770 was the first to actually be designed with their small die strategy in place.
RV870/Cypress was larger than originally intended but was acceptable for performance it offered and the additional features it added.
Ibiza was going to be their move back into a large flagship ASIC but 32nm got canned and they had to cut it way back with Cayman. Cayman was smaller on 40nm than what Ibiza was planned to be on 32nm.
Tahiti was smaller than Cayman and was their flagship at the time due to the new node.
Hawaii is their first actual "large" flagship ASIC since R600.

I have never stated that... Since I have been spot on in the last 4 generations of GPU launches.

Do you remember when AMD went to their small die strategy?
Explained here and here.

R600 was their last "large" flagship ASIC.
RV670 was a shrink and was small.
RV770 was the first to actually be designed with their small die strategy in place.
RV870/Cypress was larger than originally intended but was acceptable for performance it offered and the additional features it added.
Ibiza was going to be their move back into a large flagship ASIC but 32nm got canned and they had to cut it way back with Cayman. Cayman was smaller on 40nm than what Ibiza was planned to be on 32nm.
Tahiti was smaller than Cayman and was their flagship at the time due to the new node.
Hawaii is their first actual "large" flagship ASIC since R600.

Who cares if its a "large" ASIC? I mean seriously....... If AMD is competing with NV on the top end market, who gives a shit what design they use? I mean seriously..... Who cares what failed and what didnt? They have competed head to head with NV for years, sometimes putting out a faster high end GPU faster than NV put out their slower high end GPU.

In the end, all that matters is the NOW. Something is always on the horizon. If you really believe AMD has not competed in the high end discrete market for years and years, something is wrong.

Who cares if its a "large" ASIC? I mean seriously....... If AMD is competing with NV on the top end market, who gives a shit what design they use? I mean seriously..... Who cares what failed and what didnt? They have competed head to head with NV for years, sometimes putting out a faster high end GPU faster than NV put out their slower high end GPU.

In the end, all that matters is the NOW. Something is always on the horizon. If you really believe AMD has not competed in the high end discrete market for years and years, something is wrong.

The 7970 is still going strong. GCN continues to improve as Kepler hits its wall.

Such disappointing news. Nvidia needs some competition desperately and i was hoping amd would step up much faster than this. Nvidia has already released the gtx 960, 970, and 980. Pretty much low-mid end right up to high end, and AMD - Goose Egg (0). Just so disappointing.

There is one problem with this strategy. People upgrade GPUs because they got new games, that would not work on their hardware. THe biggest releases this year are now GTA V and Witcher 3. They are coming before AMD even announce their cards.

So, we have someone who has GPU that's too weak for Witcher 3. Will he wait month or two for 3xx series? Or will he go to store and just get 970/980? And if he gets such card, what's his point to change hardware once again in 2 months?

There is one problem with this strategy. People upgrade GPUs because they got new games, that would not work on their hardware. THe biggest releases this year are now GTA V and Witcher 3. They are coming before AMD even announce their cards.

So, we have someone who has GPU that's too weak for Witcher 3. Will he wait month or two for 3xx series? Or will he go to store and just get 970/980? And if he gets such card, what's his point to change hardware once again in 2 months?
Witcher 3 is being bundled with GTX 900 cards, AMD is going to fail regardless.

7970 vs 680 - 7970 Released 4 months earlier or about if I remember right. Trade blows stock for stock. 7970 cheaper and OC like a beast.

Actually, the 680 came out at $50 cheaper than the 7970 at the time, and was faster (say 5%?) AMD then dropped the price of the 7970 and released the 7970 GHZ edition, which was very slightly faster than the 680.

except in surround / eyefinity, I think the 7970s were faster.

Last edited:
Right, but the 7970 ghz edition was the same silicon, anyone who bought a launch version could achieve the same clocks 90% of the time.

Not releasing new cards before GTA V is going to cost them a ton of sales and when they do finally release I can imagine its going to be like trying to sell xmas trees in February. Anti Nvidia sentiment is at an all time high after the gtx 970 3.5gb scandal and I know quite a few people that were waiting to see what AMD comes out with first before upgrading for GTA V, most have since settled for a 970 after reading the cards wont be ready until late June :(

You can count me amongst the ones that were waiting for something to come along prior to GTA5. I had a GTX 970 but wanted something more. Since these will not be out on time I will have to settle for a GTX 980.

I guess AMD have their reasons, but I'm pretty disappointed. Was very keen on picking up a card in March/April to replace my 290 - which isn't actually performing that badly, however I've had fan rattle on both the cards I have and they'll be going back to Amazon.

So basically it's a case of using my back up 5450 until a replacement arrives, or biting the bullet and getting a 980 which I really don't want to do (I'm not going for another 290 at this stage of the game either).

Let's say they announce them in June - I doubt they'll be here in Aus before late July. I'm not going to wait that long, I don't think.

Truth be told tho 390x is actually ready for launch. They have enough stock to release them tomorrow. I bet if enough people bitch and moan to them on Facebook, amd would match nvidias release date of the titan x.... It's just a matter of principle..

They might want to see how the new line of nVidia perform,

last time the matchup was a disaster.

. I bet if enough people bitch and moan to them on Facebook, amd would match nvidias release date of the titan x.... It's just a matter of principle..

I'll take that bet.
$500?

Companies don't give a damn what is pissed and moaned about on kiddy Facebook.
It doesn't make business sense for anyone to care about "Tweets" or Facebook "Likes" or pissing and moaning.

Granted, It doesn't make business sense to postpone readily available products but consumers bitching and moaning about it on social media, cannot over-rule a decision from a board of directors who drive cars by tapping their canes on the window.

Companies don't give a damn what is pissed and moaned about on kiddy Facebook.
You should give social media more credit, it's worked before.
I wouldn't bother with AMD though. If they want to combat the Titan X's release schedule, they will do it on their own terms.

Actually, the 680 came out at $50 cheaper than the 7970 at the time, and was faster (say 5%?) AMD then dropped the price of the 7970 and released the 7970 GHZ edition, which was very slightly faster than the 680.

except in surround / eyefinity, I think the 7970s were faster.

Don't forget that 5% was because the 680s were boosting above listed clocks so the comparisons were false.

Are those the only two big games coming out this year? God I hope not!!! While they are fantastic games, we need more to justify spending $500+ on hardware.:mad:

Are those the only two big games coming out this year? God I hope not!!! While they are fantastic games, we need more to justify spending $500+ on hardware.:mad:

no end of games coming out anytime soon.
we started to reach performance however when I start to question if I want to upgrade as what I have is good for what I do and I like new hardware tech a lot.
the new cards will likely be the last upgrades I do for years ahead.

no end of games coming out anytime soon.
we started to reach performance however when I start to question if I want to upgrade as what I have is good for what I do and I like new hardware tech a lot.
the new cards will likely be the last upgrades I do for years ahead.

Did we?

I still can't max Tomb Raider 2013 at 1080p without drops below 60 fps.

Back