AMD THREADRIPPER Officially Announced.

So why in the hell have I never seen this graph posted in any i9/TR threads
aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9JL1EvNjg0OTYyL29yaWdpbmFsLzA0LVBvd2VyLUNvbnN1bXB0aW9uLVRvcnR1cmUucG5n

Look at the 7700k and 1800x, seriously so much crap about TDP and yet AMDs 8 core is just barely over Intels 4core.

lol :LOL:, I think you know the answer to your own question.

RyZen updates has improved things, if Intel can improve, is to be seen but with their toothpaste method for transferring heat I just don't see the SkylakeX 10 core and less improving much and since Intel's core design has been around a long time unlike RyZen it may just be diddly squat for overclocking improvements. Now Intel 12 core and up SkylakeX I expect to see those having solder for the interface to the heat spreader - if not, how would you remove that kind of heat rate from a 18 core processor? It will definitely not be very overclockable.

Last edited:
aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9JL1EvNjg0OTYyL29yaWdpbmFsLzA0LVBvd2VyLUNvbnN1bXB0aW9uLVRvcnR1cmUucG5n

Look at the 7700k and 1800x, seriously so much crap about TDP and yet AMDs 8 core is just barely over Intels 4core.

Havent you heard, prime95 is no longer any good for loading cores.... It's unfair to Intel now. You see it's a power virus on Intel and on Ryzen it doesn't load the chip properly...... LOL.

Only fools and Trolls expect a 4.6 threadripper chip. 14LPP does not support extreme speeds and you know that as the process is optimized for low power draw at lower clock speeds.

Did you miss on purpose that I was discussing extreme cooling solutions? I mentioned explicitly LN2: "Of course you will need LN2 to achieve those clocks on 14LPP." 8-core Ryzen record is 5.8GHz. I don't find any reason why extreme overlockers cannot hit 4.6GHz on TR.

That is why you were writing off Ryzen before it came out and how it would not be anywhere near 4 ghz and you were wrong as the chips will clock on normal cooling to about 4.2 ghz.

Sure, some people is getting 4.2GHz but many people is having issues to get 3.9GHz stable. Taking an average, RyZen does about 4052MHz on air, which just show the existence of the ~4GHz barrier that some of us predicted.

It is fair to mention a bit of context, my claims about RyZen overclocking were made when many other people tried to convince me that RyZen would do 5GHz on air easily. They remain silent now.

I also like now how prime95 is not a proper load for Ryzen.. that is freaking funny.

Well I have demonstrated you that RyZen consumes the same power under Excel than under Prime95. The same power under Luxrender than under Prime95. There are two logical possibilities: either Excel and Luxrender are now powervirus or Prime95 is not stressing RyZen for some reason.

If you check Excel you can see the 1800X at stock consuming more power than both i7-6900k and FX-8370. That is about right because the real TDP for 1800X is 128W, whereas it is 125W for the Piledriver chip, and the 140W of the BDW chip include the 256bit units which aren't used on Excel. Now check Prime95, a powervirus. The FX-8370 increases power consumption by 35%. The BDW chip does by 26%. RyZen does by 1%. You can confirm that Prime95 is not stressing RyZen, but is stressing all other chips.

All reviews have used Prime95 to measure power and efficiency are getting the opposite conclusion than reviews that use real-life workloads to measure.

Last edited:
Sure, some people is getting 4.2GHz but many people is having issues to get 3.9GHz stable. Taking an average, RyZen does about 4052MHz on air, which just show the existence of the ~4GHz barrier that some of us predicted.

It is fair to mention a bit of context, my claims about RyZen overclocking were made when many other people tried to convince me that RyZen would do 5GHz on air easily. They remain silent now.

It is pretty funny seeing you making comment on megahertz regarding Zen look at this beauty. http://semiaccurate.com/forums/showpost.php?p=265363&postcount=3093
There is plenty more gold where that came from.

Your downfall about the overclocking to 5ghz on air is a quote from Twitter from the source you been touting as the truth for many many posts in the form of Canard PC.

To put it all into context you don't have a clue what you are basing your finding on is whatever floats your boat that day.

All I'm seeing now is that you base your theory on a product that is not even out by comparing Ryzen R7 1800X numbers and projecting it on Threadripper.

Last edited:
It is pretty funny seeing you making comment on megahertz regarding Zen look at this beauty. http://semiaccurate.com/forums/showpost.php?p=265363&postcount=3093
There is plenty more gold where that came from.

Your downfall about the overclocking to 5ghz on air is a quote from Twitter from the source you been touting as the truth for many many posts in the form of Canard PC.

To put it all into context you don't have a clue what you are basing your finding on is whatever floats your boat that day.

All I'm seeing now is that you base your theory on a product that is not even out by comparing Ryzen R7 1800X numbers and projecting it on Threadripper.

I am not sure if you are confounding the prediction of ~3GHz for a 95W chip with the prediction of a frequency wall ~4GHz (i.e. my claim that 4/6 core RyZen couldn't hit 4GHz base) or if you simply want to remark again how wrong was all that people that was predicting 65W 8-core RyZen chips with 3.7GHz base and 4.1GHz turbo. Or all those that predicted base clocks above 4GHz and turbos near 5GHz...

Threadripper uses ZP dies made on the same 14LPP node than RyZen. You can expect some small variations due to binning or slight process maturity, but the physics is what it is. Moreover, the known ThreadRipper 16C sample (B1-class silicon) has 3.1GHz base clock and turbo of 3.6GHz. The marketing TDP is 180W and the real TDP is >200W.

Prime95 uses AVX, and in terms of AVX2 peak throughput capability, the 1800X is right there with a 7700K.

Lol. Children arguing about power. What do you care unless you are running hundreds of these in a data center.

I'm a bit dissapointed that the i9 chips do not support ECC given that I can't seem to find a Xeon part with similar specs for a reasonable price.

I wonder if x264 will be able to maximize all the threads on the 16/32 chip. I look forward to seeing benchmarks.

I hope to find that out. I can saturate my 12c/24t workstations with an x264 encode so I'm eager to see what an extra 4c/8t can do. :)

Last edited:
For some reason I had a lucid dream yesterday and one of the mid range Threadrippers had model names in the forrm of T4000 - ring s a bell?

I am gettiing happy again. My present machine is finally going dead (E7200 @ 3.9) and I only have two spinner drives (nand some large capacity thumbdrivees) for a DIY filserver basedon the respberry, Call it a nas.

I have a PSU, Casing, Sata DVDRW, fans. So,basically can anyone point me at the right Ryzen and (preferably) itx mobo with WiFi to go with it.
I don't mind low memory modules, like 4+4. I havea GPU if need be., But prefer an integrated one. System will run off a 128 GB SSD (Cheap).
So, aside from the NAS idea wcich is brewing as we speak, could you recommend a cheap but competent unlocked Ryzen with virtualization support?
I expect the following performance levels:
-an ability to run 1-2 VMs on it,
- make it handle streaming from either USB, IP, or analog cameras (about 2-3) to use as CCTV.

Sory for the baad spelling but I'm sleepy.

The 1500X is a steal at it's price, but it really depends on what you're doing with it.

^You know you're [H] when you're having dreams about CPU's. LOL

Oh hell yeah. I was at Microcenter talking to my personal friend and warehouse manager and he said they do not have the chips yet but if the release is close they should have them a about a few days before official launch date.

I'm Hoping Newegg has the Zenith board on launch. Also hoping to sell my 1700x right before launch to afford 64gb of RGB GSkill.

Getting a Asus Poseidon tomorrow which is part of my Threadripper Build.

However excited I am, I must be cautious to wait at least on the first official review from I hope Kyle but any reputable site will work for me. I just want to make sure there isn't any immediately visible bugs with this huge slab of Si.

I'm Hoping Newegg has the Zenith board on launch. Also hoping to sell my 1700x right before launch to afford 64gb of RGB GSkill.

What speed are you going for? 3200? I haven't been following to well but with the Ryzen updates, is the to go to speed going to be 3200 for Threadripper as well?

What speed are you going for? 3200? I haven't been following to well but with the Ryzen updates, is the to go to speed going to be 3200 for Threadripper as well?

I understand that it will support 2666 out of the box so 3200 should be a significant boost to the CCX's if you run quad channel mode.

Why the hell is that box so large? So we pay 1000 for a Cpu, not a xeon guys..., and we get a retention bracket? So ill have to shell out another $150 On an AIO or wait weeks for a waterblock to develope?
I gather it comes with an asetek cooler, where the bracket will work on the other asetek coolers.

What's next?

32-cores Ryzen Threadripper? :ROFLMAO:
Did not see that coming, I can't see no other reason other than that option may become available in the future but with only 4 memory channels? I guess that would work since RyZen can use a single channel of memory for 8 cores. This is getting utterly interesting with AMD just blowing up the previous cpu market. Wished they did that with their GPU's but may have to wait for that.

I may end up with a Threadripper next year after all (y)

Did not see that coming, I can't see no other reason other than that option may become available in the future but with only 4 memory channels? I guess that would work since RyZen can use a single channel of memory for 8 cores. This is getting utterly interesting with AMD just blowing up the previous cpu market. Wished they did that with their GPU's but may have to wait for that.
I was talking to a co-worker today about that, how the CPU and GPU divisions have switched places. Zen and all its iterations are tearing up the scene and Vega looks to be falling flat and hard.

I was talking to a co-worker today about that, how the CPU and GPU divisions have switched places. Zen and all its iterations are tearing up the scene and Vega looks to be falling flat and hard.

Did heard something similar. Resources have shifted from GPU to CPU. The funny history is that I predicted many years ago that AMD would somewhat split into two to shield the GPU division from troubles with the CPU division, but I was plain wrong at this, because it is the GPU division which is having problems now.

Well the old saying you can't hit home runs every time seems to ring true. A few strike outs usually come about. Still interested in how Vega Rx turns out plus if AMD will have an update early next year.

Well the old saying you can't hit home runs every time seems to ring true. A few strike outs usually come about. Still interested in how Vega Rx turns out plus if AMD will have an update early next year.
Unfortunately I think it IS a case of Finewine in the sense that all the tech will take time to implement in the real world. Had it been, rather the best scenario for this since it hasn't released yet, close to the 1080Ti then the time to implement these advancements would just be added value. However performing at just the 1080 doesn't help the value or the image. Hell the AMD GPU section all over is going to be far worse than the 290(X) reference blower fan noise. Thank god for Ryzen/TR/EPYC.

lol :LOL:, I think you know the answer to your own question.

RyZen updates has improved things, if Intel can improve, is to be seen but with their toothpaste method for transferring heat I just don't see the SkylakeX 10 core and less improving much and since Intel's core design has been around a long time unlike RyZen it may just be diddly squat for overclocking improvements. Now Intel 12 core and up SkylakeX I expect to see those having solder for the interface to the heat spreader - if not, how would you remove that kind of heat rate from a 18 core processor? It will definitely not be very overclockable.

You clock it low as shit stock. That is how you remove the heat. I am going to laugh when the 18 core realistically is factory clocked at 2.4ghz or lower like 2.0 turbo to 2.4 ghz.

You can preorder the 16 core 1950x with 3.4GHz baseclock right now at the various "custom" PC outlets.

If they change it now, there's going to be quite a few upset customers.

Lol. Children arguing about power. What do you care unless you are running hundreds of these in a data center.

What if we run ten to hundred thousands of CPU's in our datacenters, not hundreds?
Can I have an interest?

As I have been saying for months, TR didn't appear in the roadmaps a pair of years ago. The only planned sockets were: AM4, SP4, and SP3.

Then the SP4 socket failed to get traction from the industry, which raised doubts about what do with those 16-core CPUs and, in the other hand, Skylake-X was much more powerful than AMD expected, and in a last minute change AMD merged the SP4 and SP3 platforms in the new SP3r2 socket, releasing the 8, 12 and 16 core ThreadRipper, with TR4 being the marketing term for the SP3r2 socket.

Back