AMD THREADRIPPER Officially Announced.

If they only offered the feature on the top SKUs like the Extreme Edition, what would it matter what processor someone would buy? You either spend $1700 on a Xeon or $1700 on the EE...at the end of the day Intel still gets your $1700 and that's all that should matter to them. Who cares if it shows up in the Xeon column or the i7 column of their spreadsheet??They seem to disable ECC on even the EE out of spite...just because they can.
Not sure what you're saying here. All ryzen processors support ECC memory, it's the motherboards that don't.

Not sure what you're saying here. All ryzen processors support ECC memory, it's the motherboards that don't.

I'm not talking about Ryzen, I'm talking about Intel's refusal to enable ECC even on the top SKU Extreme Edition, even though there are very similar and comparably priced Xeon processors that have it enabled.

I'm not talking about Ryzen, I'm talking about Intel's refusal to enable ECC even on the top SKU Extreme Edition, even though there are very similar and comparably priced Xeon processors that have it enabled.
Ah, guess I'm just confused because you quoted me, and I was talking about AMD, but if I quoted someone talking about Intel in the first place then I suppose the blame is mine. No biggie either way, just wasn't sure where Intel came from suddenly.

you answered it right there, they want people buying xeon's because the profit margins are much higher on them compared to the extreme processors.

you answered it right there, they want people buying xeon's because the profit margins are much higher on them compared to the extreme processors.

They refuse to enable it even on the Extreme chips, a supposed flagship SKU. The i7-6950X has a price of $1700...the profit margins on this chip are very high. Even the lowest Xeon has it enabled...and these are chips with a much smaller profit margin. Their unwillingness to enable ECC on even their flagship consumer chips shows Intel's deep rooted desire to provide as little in terms of product features as is possible, even on what they call their flagship chips.

They refuse to enable it even on the Extreme chips, a supposed flagship SKU. The i7-6950X has a price of $1700...the profit margins on this chip are very high. Even the lowest Xeon has it enabled...and these are chips with a much smaller profit margin. Their unwillingness to enable ECC on even their flagship consumer chips shows Intel's deep rooted desire to provide as little in terms of product features as is possible, even on what they call their flagship chips.

What would you pay for ECC support?
How much would most consumers pay for ECC support?

You sound like you just want it for free...the world doens't work like that.

What would you pay for ECC support?
How much would most consumers pay for ECC support?

You sound like you just want it for free...the world doens't work like that.

Wow...thanks tips....:rolleyes:

The Extreme Edition is certainly NOT free. What, do you think for $1700 fucking dollars that the buyer of such a supposed flagship CPU shouldn't have it included in the product??

Part of me is irritated that AMD is releasing these so shortly after Ryzen, because just a few months after investing in a Ryzen platform, I will have to invest in a Threadripper platform.

Part of me is supremely happy to be able to do this. :D

Lol I hear you, but you don't hear same complaints when Nvidia does the small chip then bigger chip shit though, right?
But in future, AMD are releasing high core parts first, before lower core/mainstream desktop (7nm cycle next year).

And the EE should have ECC ffs. Intel are a bunch of fagasses when it comes to that stuff.

They probably don't think anyone would use ECC RAM on an Extreme Edition. They most likely figure that the bulk of people buying such CPUs would use some form of high speed memory instead. 90% of the time they are probably right.

Hrmmm Im one to change ram. If im gonna game for a few days ill slap in 3200 and if im gonna do some heavy workload stuff ill slap in ecc. Would lovw to have ecc support but not a buzz kill for me. Highest level work I do is drone videography editing and conversion/transcoding.

Hrmmm Im one to change ram. If im gonna game for a few days ill slap in 3200 and if im gonna do some heavy workload stuff ill slap in ecc. Would lovw to have ecc support but not a buzz kill for me. Highest level work I do is drone videography editing and conversion/transcoding.

The thing is, you probably wouldn't notice any difference not swapping out to the ECC RAM.

Wow...thanks tips....:rolleyes:

The Extreme Edition is certainly NOT free. What, do you think for $1700 fucking dollars that the buyer of such a supposed flagship CPU shouldn't have it included in the product??

What relevance does ECC have on a CPU made for gaming/OC?

I think you are confusing server SKU's with desktop server CPU's.

But since you neglected to answer my questions...I will ask you again:

How much do you want to pay for ECC support?
How much does most consumers want to pay for ECC?

You, now more than ever, sound like you want ECC for free.

If ECC is that important for you...buy a Xeon and stop the whine.

I would like an overclockable workstation CPU. And to me ECC would be desired for this.

What relevance does ECC have on a CPU made for gaming/OC?

I think you are confusing server SKU's with desktop server CPU's.

But since you neglected to answer my questions...I will ask you again:

How much do you want to pay for ECC support?
How much does most consumers want to pay for ECC?

You, now more than ever, sound like you want ECC for free.

If ECC is that important for you...buy a Xeon and stop the whine.

Paying $1700 is MORE than adequate recompense for ECC, which BTW AMD happens to include on ALL its processors. And if it had ECC, those consumers who wanted it for that ability would have to buck up to get it.

And let me say it again even more clearly...$1700...IS....NOT....FREE!!

All I want is a CPU that is fully functional and fully enabled. Not neutered, segmented or otherwise castrated. All I want is the best chip made, and the very highest bin of that chip with ALL features enabled. Fully unlocked, multi-processor enabled, ECC/RDIMM enabled, TXT enabled, vPro enabled. And I don't give a tuppenny fuck what it costs.

Buy a Xeon if I want ECC? If there were unlocked HCC Xeons I would gladly do so. Since Intel can't get their cranial units out of their posteriers and offer such a chip, my path forward will be Threadripper, which is unlocked AND has ECC support.

The thing is, you probably wouldn't notice any difference not swapping out to the ECC RAM.

And this I absolutely agree with. In fact the whole point I was making was that it really isn't a buzz kill for this high thread chip coming out. ECC is not the end game on whether or not I would buy it. I would hardly factor it.

And this I absolutely agree with. In fact the whole point I was making was that it really isn't a buzz kill for this high thread chip coming out. ECC is not the end game on whether or not I would buy it. I would hardly factor it.

You may not use it, but others would. Having the feature there and enabled is fine, even if only 5% of the users actually decide to use it. I don't use some of the features in my vehicle (like the Auto climate control)...it doesn't mean that they should be deleted as other people with the same vehicle may use (and value) them.

Seeing as how peasant Ryzen 7 and Ryzen 5 chips feature ECC support, wouldn't one venture a guess that GangRipper would support it also?

Ohhhhhh! Good name. Ima call this gang raper!

You may not use it, but others would. Having the feature there and enabled is fine, even if only 5% of the users actually decide to use it. I don't use some of the features in my vehicle (like the Auto climate control)...it doesn't mean that they should be deleted as other people with the same vehicle may use (and value) them.

It's about market segmentation. I don't think a lot of the people in this thread truly understand that. The percentage of people who want to use ECC RAM on an Extreme Edition CPU is next to nothing in the grand scheme of things. While I'd agree that ECC support on these CPUs would be a good thing, Intel doesn't need to do it and they don't want to provide super overclockable CPUs to the server market anymore than they want cheap, overclockable Xeon's on the HEDT side that cannibalize the sales of Extreme Edition CPUs. It's always about getting the consumer to buy products in certain segments where they can get the largest profit margins.

On the surface, certain Xeon's and Extreme Editions are the same, but they aren't. They go through different binning and validation even though the base design could be the same.

It's about market segmentation. I don't think a lot of the people in this thread truly understand that. The percentage of people who want to use ECC RAM on an Extreme Edition CPU is next to nothing in the grand scheme of things. While I'd agree that ECC support on these CPUs would be a good thing, Intel doesn't need to do it and they don't want to provide super overclockable CPUs to the server market anymore than they want cheap, overclockable Xeon's on the HEDT side that cannibalize the sales of Extreme Edition CPUs. It's always about getting the consumer to buy products in certain segments where they can get the largest profit margins.

On the surface, certain Xeon's and Extreme Editions are the same, but they aren't. They go through different binning and validation even though the base design could be the same.

It doesn't matter if they provide it on Extreme Edition CPUs...niche servers will still be built using the Extreme Edition chips as they have been for years. There are non-critical applications where raw performance matters more. Critical single processor servers don't use EE CPUs and wouldn't even if they had ECC.

Intel has already provided super overclockable CPUs to the server market in the past in the form of unlocked single processor Xeons (V3 and earlier). These chips supported ECC and overclocking together...yet I never saw a single overclockable server or workstation based on these unlocked chips from ANY major server manufacturer, even though these chips were provided in an unlocked form for years and over multiple generations and architectures. The server market doesn't care about the chips being unlocked...it was an enabled feature they simply did not use. The same is true with the EE...most end users of the EE don't care that it doesn't support ECC. But there are a few enthusiast users who would use both features in their own builds if they were enabled together, myself included. There is no harm in adding ECC to the EE...it'll be ignored by most purchasers of the chip except the few users who actually want to use it.

...The same is true with the EE...most end users of the EE don't care that it doesn't support ECC. But there are a few enthusiast users who would use both features in their own builds if they were enabled together, myself included. There is no harm in adding ECC to the EE...

Well, there is, for precisely the reason Dan pointed out! :confused:

He just wants it for free (aka the rest of us has to pay for it, so he can get it for free)...you expect him to use logic or listen to arguments? ;)

Uh, did you even bother to read my post where I explained about the E5-1600 V1/V2/V3 and how they peacefully co-existed with the Extreme Editions for years with no harm to either market segment??

He just wants it for free (aka the rest of us has to pay for it, so he can get it for free)...you expect him to use logic or listen to arguments? ;)

Are you simple or something? When one pays $1700 for a CPU it should come with features like ECC enabled. Where do you get the idea that I'm asking for it for free?? Did I say, "I want ECC to be added and I want the CPU for free??" I'm perfectly willing to spend $1700 (and more) for a CPU, but I want features (that cost nothing for Intel to enable) like ECC to be enabled. Is that too much to ask on a $1700 CPU??

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Look at Comcast. EVERYONE pays a $5 sports fee...IT IS a F job but everyone pays it.
The president of comcast stated that if we remove the charge and only the people who watch sports had to pay for it, they couldn't afford it.
IS this fair....NO

Uh, did you even bother to read my post where I explained about the E5-1600 V1/V2/V3 and how they peacefully co-existed with the Extreme Editions for years with no harm to either market segment??

Are you simple or something? When one pays $1700 for a CPU it should come with features like ECC enabled. Where do you get the idea that I'm asking for it for free?? Did I say, "I want ECC to be added and I want the CPU for free??" I'm perfectly willing to spend $1700 (and more) for a CPU, but I want features (that cost nothing for Intel to enable) like ECC to be enabled. Is that too much to ask on a $1700 CPU??

Again, you are to cheap to buy a Xeon....that is what I get from your posts.

Again, you are to cheap to buy a Xeon....that is what I get from your posts.

Hardly. In addition to Skulltrail (not actual Xeons), I've purchased two W5580s, two X5690s, a W3690, two E5520s (came with my Proliant...were upgraded), two E5-2687Ws, two E5-2687W V2, an E5-1660 and an E5-1680 V2 and a V3 (both magnificent unlocked chips that ALSO support ECC). If the top SKUs of the HCC Xeons were unlocked, I'd never buy anything else.

Any other mistaken statements or assumptions that you care to pose?

Lutjens wants something simple, he is wanting to pay top dollar for a chip, however that chip needs to be fully featured, not have some part disabled by Intel. Xeon is intel's top line, the best binned chips, on the best silicon, using the least amount of power. He has a valid point in saying that all Intel's chip features should be on these top line chips, ECC, AVX, massive amounts of PCIe lanes, unlocked multiplier etc etc. If intel cannot provide that then he will look elsewhere.

Lutjens wants something simple, he is wanting to pay top dollar for a chip, however that chip needs to be fully featured, not have some part disabled by Intel. Xeon is intel's top line, the best binned chips, on the best silicon, using the least amount of power. He has a valid point in saying that all Intel's chip features should be on these top line chips, ECC, AVX, massive amounts of PCIe lanes, unlocked multiplier etc etc. If intel cannot provide that then he will look elsewhere.

Precisely! I have literally begged Intel for such a chip for years. At least now with a resurgent AMD, there is a viable option. I love Intel's chips (I've been using them for 30 years), but they steadfastly refuse to provide a fully featured, top-of-the-line processor that is also unlocked.

So this chip should be around Ryzen for speed?
Should. Ryzens limit seems to be process more so than the standard Voltage or heat. Although 16 and 32 core variations may actually hit heat limitations, lol.

Should. Ryzens limit seems to be process more so than the standard Voltage or heat. Although 16 and 32 core variations may actually hit heat limitations, lol.
Wow. I saw Ryzen was equal and sometimes better than my 5960x.(8 core)
If priced good it should make a super awesome workstation. The gaming might be a bit lower but wow. I hope it does well! Give Intel a little nudge.

All I know is come this summer or early fall, we are going to have a lot of great choices again for hardware, and it's been quite a while since that has happened. If core/thread awareness continues to improve, we could be looking at the next A64x2/q6600/2600k chip this summer. Not necessarily due to their OC prowess, but rather their ability to remain viable and relevant for years after their release.

fb8obad77e0z.jpg

Apparently here is a heatsink for Threadripper. That thing is comical in size.

Intel prices released.

https://www.hardocp.com/image/MTQ5NjE0NDMwMzhka21lcWYwY2FfMV8xX2wuZ2lm
14961443038dkmeqf0ca_1_1_l.gif

Ryzen 1800x has some competition in the I7-7820x.

Yes Ryzen 1700, 1700x, and 1800x will be cheaper - but you can pretty much bet that Intel part will hit 4.5Ghz across all 8 cores with decent cooling on an overclock, and with IPC's being 20-30% faster on Intel, and with a 10% + overclock advantage -- that's 30-40% faster for a couple hundred more bucks. Probably worth it to most people.

I'm tuned in to what threadripper brings to the table for the price, but Intel, as expected, isn't just going to let AMD have a free and clear win. Unfortunately AMD's position is still limited to "for the price"

Back