AMD THREADRIPPER Officially Announced.

Discussion in 'AMD Processors' started by Kyle_Bennett, May 16, 2017.

1. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

mashie and {NG}Fidel like this.
  2. os2wiz

os2wiz Limp Gawd

Kyle do you think you will pop for one?? I would love to , but I invested too much in my build. Threadripper is more than I will ever need.

3. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

Would like to see what it would do rendering 4K video compared to the 6950 at 4.3GHz.

gigatexal, {NG}Fidel and AceGoober like this.
  4. NovaCloud

NovaCloud Limp Gawd

The one time where procrastinating on a build has helped me make an even better decision...

KarsusTG, {NG}Fidel and Pieter3dnow like this.
  5. realworld

realworld Limp Gawd

It would be great if there is a list that organizes all the current and upcoming Zen CPUs with their respective platform. Too many code names and shit is confusing the hell out of me. Assripper Epyc Whitehaven Naples Nipples... wtf

6. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

The big thing for me here is a great ballance of gaming + productivity. My current Xeon is GREAT at productivity (for the time I bought it) but it is sorely lacking in gaming. If GangRipper can give me 3.0+GHz on haswell-like cores and give me 16 of them, I am looking at doubling both my gaming performance AND productivity...

{NG}Fidel likes this.
  7. Nobu

Nobu [H]ard|Gawd

Anyone know rumoring if this is a single die package? Future platform for 64-core server chip, or cut-down 32-core chip?

8. Chimpee

Chimpee Gawd

I am speculating two Ryzen cpu in a single package.

Nobu likes this.
  9. Pieter3dnow

Pieter3dnow [H]ardness Supreme

{NG}Fidel likes this.
  10. juanrga

juanrga Gawd

Right, two dies on same package. This is a derivation of the SP4 server platform.

11. Sprayingmango

Sprayingmango [H]ard|Gawd

AMD is great at making fancy slideshows and promising things. They almost never deliver on those promises though. Has there been any mention of price? Performance beyond one test that they chose?

Ryzen has been a massive flop and Vega will barely compete with Pascal. I want AMD to hit a home run so bad however they over-promise and under-deliver constantly.

12. gigaxtreme1

gigaxtreme1 2[H]4U

Ryzen is not a flop. Still on the top 20 best sellers on Amazon. Takes time to gain traction, but it is selling well. Back to school in the fall should see higher adoption rates. Summer is slower.
    And yes these are 2 Ryzen dies for Threadripper and four for Epyc.

13. Chimpee

Chimpee Gawd

Yea to say it is a massive flop is wrong though I do think it wasn't a home run like AMD wanted, but hey, CPU competition for the first time about 10 years is welcome.

Dukie1 likes this.
  14. drescherjm

drescherjm [H]ardForum Junkie

Each block is an 8C / 16T with 2 4C modules making up the 8C. This way all AMD needs to produce is lots of 8C dies.

15. NKD

NKD [H]ardness Supreme

Man it's people like you that don't know shit and keep talking and should her banned. Ryzen a complete flop? You need a moment for yourself. Do some yoga and come back then may be you will be more ready to accept reality and spread less bullshit! You have to be really shitting me!

Oh and you don't want amd to hit a home run that's just covering up your hate at the end. If you think Ryzen was a complete flop you simply hate amd and nothing can fix that.

{NG}Fidel, N4CR, legcramp and 2 others like this.
  16. Gigantopithecus

Gigantopithecus [H]ard|Gawd

Part of me is irritated that AMD is releasing these so shortly after Ryzen, because just a few months after investing in a Ryzen platform, I will have to invest in a Threadripper platform.

Part of me is supremely happy to be able to do this. :D

stormy1 likes this.
  17. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ardOCP Motherboard Editor

I'm hoping for a stronger motherboard platform than X370 to go with it this time around.

Nathan_P, {NG}Fidel, stormy1 and 5 others like this.
  18. drescherjm

drescherjm [H]ardForum Junkie

I am still waiting for workstation boards for Ryzen so I did not make a purchase yet.

Although my needs would be 1 of each (AM4 and the new platform). I don't need / want a 16C for my linux based PVR / fileserver (that runs 24/7 for years) but my windows workstation could use one.

19. rehab

rehab Gawd

i will get one for MOAR verium.

20. Nathan_P

Nathan_P [H]ard DCOTM x2

Liking the look of the 1976X, it would be a huge upgrade from my x5670's

{NG}Fidel likes this.
  21. sparks

sparks 2[H]4U

have to agree Nathan the 1976 IF its clocks are real (can't tell from that chart 3.6 +1) is that supposed to be 4.7 or 3.7 MORE AMD BS, but if it is, looks like the sweet spot.

Maybe they can get the bugs out of the bios and chipsets by the time it comes out.

I remember when people were talking about the X99 saying quad channel memory is not needed. Maybe AMD can change their mind.

22. tangoseal

tangoseal [H]ardness Supreme

I have a 1700x and I will still get the pipeluber or threadripper or whatever dumb name they give this badass sweetness of 32 thread silicon and run 2x Vega in XFire and still have lanes for my Intel 750 8x and 8x Intel XFSR 10GB fiber NIC and 1X Asus 7.1 surround card and a nvme ssd just to toss one in.

23. Nihilus1

Nihilus1 Limp Gawd

If AMD can sell 8 core cpus at the same price as an Intel 4 core, I see no reason they cant sell a 16 core for 8 core prices.
    One thing is for sure, Intel will not be able to sell those 10 core+ cpus for $1500.

Still dumbfounded by the dolt you said Ryzen was a complete failure. Presumably because it lacks a few fps at 1080p gaming.

Good grief.

{NG}Fidel likes this.
  24. InorganicMatter

InorganicMatter Pick your own.....you deserve it.

Indeed, and hopefully one that fully supports ECC.

25. Factum

Factum Gawd

Rysen is currently a flop in datacenters.
    We have 3 server vendors...none of them has any servers on their roadmap.
    A product needs to be purchasable in order to get any "success"...and again, I am talking about vendor roadmaps...forget about actual products.

26. Dan_D

I don't understand some people's hard on for ECC support, but I'm all for whatever platform AMD comes up with supporting it. Options are good right?

pendragon1 likes this.
  27. InorganicMatter

InorganicMatter Pick your own.....you deserve it.

28. Dan_D

pendragon1 and DeChache like this.
  29. Elf_Boy

Elf_Boy [H]ard|Gawd

That is Epyc Assripper - or so I keep hearing

30. Elf_Boy

Elf_Boy [H]ard|Gawd

For me the only disappointment is the low number of PCIE lanes. Even with the 2.0 ones added by the chip set I would like to have been able to have another 1-2 x4 3.0 slots and an x1 slot or two (2.0 or 3.0) that doesnt steal bandwidth from the only real x4 in the system.

From your perspective what is/are the short comings?

CSI_PC likes this.
  31. lutjens

lutjens Gawd

Why not offer it? The processor made supporting it by default and on most of Intel's consumer chips, they intentionally and purposely disable it. There is no reason to disable it. If people don't want to use it, fine, but there are folks who'd use it, so why not offer it? To snip it is annoying puerile and shows how much Intel's marketing teams get an extreme hard on from giving purchasers as little as they possibly can get away with.

32. Nobu

Nobu [H]ard|Gawd

Probably don't want consumer boards eating into their enterprise sales. Note that the ryzen chips out now can do ECC if the motherboard supports it, just most don't, or they do but in non-ECC mode.

I'd pay another $50 for a board that really supported it, though I don't have $500 to spend on an workstation board (+$400-800 for a processor that'll fit in the socket).

33. Elf_Boy

Elf_Boy [H]ard|Gawd

Anyone know what socket Jack the Intel Ripper is going to be?

34. KazeoHin

I think its an LGA 3k+ pin socket. It's a massive package, no wonder it rips threads...

35. Elf_Boy

Elf_Boy [H]ard|Gawd

I know the 32 core one has the huge socket (or so the rumor goes) -- wasnt sure that was going to be the same for the 16 core package.

Wonder if the 16 core one ends up going both ways? AM4 and the new, two varieties, one for the server market one for us Elitist Hard guys.

36. Gman1979

Gman1979 Gawd

I think I need to turn in my NERD credentials now :( There was once a time I would have killed for a platform like this, but I just can't even fool myself into thinking I could make use of all those cores and threads lol. I just hope and pray one of the motherboard partners comes through with a solid board aimed at enthusiasts with tweaking options that I can play with for months. My 6600k suites me just fine at the moment but I wouldn't mind being able to build a personal SKYNET on an AMD platform.

Also still think they should work President Commacho into the marketing lol

{NG}Fidel, KazeoHin and Nobu like this.
  37. stormy1

stormy1 Gawd

Buy a 4k video camera and 4k tv. Shoot your own favorite kinds of video.
    Handbrake should keep all those threads busy for you.

38. KazeoHin

Baking high quality game assets eats as many threads as you can throw at it, as well as working with high resolution assets in 3D.

Hopefully AMD reserved quality dies for the RTR chips, as getting 10-16 cores up to 4.1GHz makes me moist.

39. Dan_D

To be honest, my problems with the platform center around having a processor comparable to Intel's HEDT offerings and yet having a platform that's a bit weaker than Intel's Z270. AMD having announced an HEDT competitor, I won't have as much of an issue with X370. I am disappointed in the low lane count and the lack of more than a single x4 link for M.2 storage. The AMD RAID controller for SATA ports is also limited compared to Intel's. I'd have liked more PCIe lanes. Again, an HEDT platform from AMD will address these problems for me. I suspected AMD might do this so long as Ryzen was received well enough so I'm not shocked this is how things turned out.

I already agreed with the sentiment of offering ECC support even when most people won't bother with it.

KazeoHin likes this.
  40. lutjens

lutjens Gawd

I was just offering my $0.02 on ECC support in agreement with what you said...wasn't meant as an argument. I hope Intel seriously rethinks their policy of cutting as many features as possible from their chips that they figure people don't absolutely need...it's really annoying when some of those omitted features could be very useful.