AMD Tech Tour Bundles

Status
Not open for further replies.
i wonder if theres a way how to get ur bundle w/o sitting through the entire event. i can careless about the food and such. well i wouldnt mind some free hats thou.
 
chronic9 said:
i wonder if theres a way how to get ur bundle w/o sitting through the entire event. i can careless about the food and such. well i wouldnt mind some free hats thou.

Read a couple pages back - people showed up at around 5-6, picked up their stuff, and left. But I want some neat shirts. :D


Now all I have to do is drive 30 miles to Burlington in this 93 degree heat.
 
I'm suppose to go to the Boston one, but with no car, taking the subway train to Burlington would just be a long trip.
 
phantomAI said:
I'm suppose to go to the Boston one, but with no car, taking the subway train to Burlington would just be a long trip.

It's 92 degrees w/ 70% humidity and T-storms tonight... you're taking the train?! You are one brave soul.
 
Well, I'm running out, and probably showing up later on. If you see the guy in the blue/white checkered button shirt who's wearing a green "Soylent Green is People!" shirt under it, that's me! :D

Stop buy and say hi if you spot me, always glad to talk.
 
The Tyan board is really nice. I have learned a few new things, like the fact that PCI-X is backwards compatable with PCI, so you really have more that just the 1 PCI slot. I put an Adaptec USB/Firewire card in the first PCI-X slot and it came up fine (and x64 had the drivers built in!).

The other cool thing, is that the fan headers are temp controlled, so even with 3x120s, it is pretty damn quiet (the Antec 550 is also at a whisper). The case I am using is a LiteOn FS020 that is perfect for this beast of a board.

I had some old DDR133/266 ECC (4x256MB) from my KG7-RAID that work fine in the board. I guess at some point I will need to upgrade those.

I need to get a good, cheap PCIe video card, since the ATI-Rage is dog slow, even just moving windows around the screen, or scrolling a web page. I have a PCI video card, but ATI doesn't have x64 drivers for the 7500 series.

Dually_x64_007.sized.jpg


Dually_x64_009.sized.jpg


More images here.

Keith
 
I wish those of us that went to the earlier shows could have traded in on the K8SE's. I'd almost have been tempted not to upgrade to the K8WE.

Of course, I couldn't have survived on just 4 USB 2.0 ports...but...still....
 
Also, is anyone that got the server bundle actually using their copies of 2003 X64 Enterprise?


I've got it sitting there, but I'm just using my Academic 2003 X32 version...I'd be tempted to get rid of the x64 if the market weren't already saturated by all the other Tech Tour Attendees :p
 
Marduk said:
Also, is anyone that got the server bundle actually using their copies of 2003 X64 Enterprise?

Yeah, those money hungry bastages!

Yes, I got the bundle up, but what a pain! Not with the OS, but with the hardware and favors I had to pull to get it.

Once pieced together, the 2003 Enterprise Server x64 went right in! I didn't have a floppy drive to use for the RAID drivers, so I simply did a single SATA 250gb drive (WD). I was surprised it was so quick and easy. Hah! I even have Battlefield2 Dedicated Server running on the thing.

Added hardware to the bundle:
- two thermaltake heatsinks
- 2 gb (4x512mb) sticks of Corsair ECC (at Newegg for $69ea)
- old laptop DVD drive from a scrap heap at work (had to shave the face plate with dremel)

I've spent more time figuring out server chassis's, power supplies, cabling, and slim CD-ROM connections than I did for the OS. I didn't have to add one extra driver or ever slip in the Tyan CD to get Windows up either.

Needless to say, it's been a learning experience, but I'm better for it :cool:
 
Just got back from the show. I sat through the first part of the show, but could barely contain a chuckle as the guys were just sitting there, basically saying "AMD and Microsoft are the new gods of the computing industry." A 1.5 hour ad, but there was some stuff to be learned.

Then I got my stuff, browsed around the various booths, got myself a Microsoft Windows 64-bit shirt, and drove home. Didn't feel like staying for the raffle, since it was still 3 hours off. :\

bundle.jpg


Not pictured: the stuff everyone else gets - tote bag, a shirt from the Microsoft booth girls.

Sadly, none of this stuff is mine since I can't afford to build anything with them. :p :(

Oh, and I got the Tyan K8SE instead of the K8SD as well.
 
I was bored to tears. When I interned for Nokia, during the launch of the 3650, we had a press event with an open bar. This felt like nothing but mindless corporate drivel... the only half entertaining part was the dual core/single core tire race thing.

I've got a K8WE, so the K8SD will just go in the closet. I was there in my semi-basketball warmup with red jordan arm band. Sorry if the post seems negative but I was just disappointed from all the other shows I've been to.
 
I see you didn't stick around for the raffle either seigejet. Did you stick around for the second half?

I got out of there pretty early (guy with the blue messenger bag, sat way up front during the first half of the show) since I got what I wanted. And reading off the powerpoint slides is just a snooze fest.
 
Went to the show today also. There were about 500 seats & it looked like they were about 80% full. Sat in back & just waited till 5:30. I only had ordered the desktop bundle, bolted for the tables when they announced it was time & was lucky to be 3rd in line. They had made a point of telling everyone in the crowd that all the bundles were sold out. Only those that ordered should bother getting in line. What a zoo at the bundle tables. No where near enough room for all the people crowding into the lines. Looked like a crowd around the food. I left immediatly after picking up the Desktop bundle.

Personally I think they messed up scheduling todays show on a day the Sox played. This is BOSTON !!! Stay for the 2nd half sales pitches & you'll miss the start of the game. I figgured the only people who would stay to sit thru another couple of hours of nothing but sales B.S. without much of a chance to win anything big at the end would be nerdy kids that wouldn't know a baseball if one hit 'em in the head :) :) (just kidding if any of you guys would really rather watch an AMD promo instead of a Red Sox game :))
 
BillLeeLee said:
I see you didn't stick around for the raffle either seigejet. Did you stick around for the second half?

I got out of there pretty early (guy with the blue messenger bag, sat way up front during the first half of the show) since I got what I wanted. And reading off the powerpoint slides is just a snooze fest.

Why, did I win something? No, I grabbed my server bundle, took a clean look at the long line for grub, took a bottle of pepsi and left.

I missed the second half :eek: I was driving like a maniac in a Red Sox Beetle to get home and catch the game :D
 
GAWD DAMN IT, I think my car has a blown piston, I hope I can still go. I have a car rental, but I'm not sure if I want to drive it all the way up there. It is 428 miles there and back, I have ~100 miles per day I can put on the car, every additional mile is $0.25. So, it would be about $82 to drive up there and back .. though with the money I can make off the hardware it is still probably worth it. Heh, anyone from the DC area going up there, I'll pay for gas, if I can catch a ride.
 
endless nagging and crying wont get u a bundle. :rolleyes: try to put a request in the FS/FT forum.


400+whpwrx said:
anyone want to sell me a server bundle?

*crys*
 
I'm hoping they have some kind of end of tour blowout tomorow and give away all sorts of cool stuff. I'd really like a PCI-E video card since I don't want to buy one before ATI drops their prices...
 
seigejet said:
...took a bottle of pepsi and left.
Pepsi?! Where? I only saw water. I wanted some sugar :(

I stayed until the end and thought it was interesting for the most part. I think the Avtec guy was the worst though, just reading off the slides. The host made it somewhat interesting and pep-rally like, which I thought was pretty cool. At the end they gave away a dozen or so Ferrari T-Shirts, a couple Ferrari hats, some Winfast motherboards, an ATI x600 I believe it was, an MSI board, Windows SBS for anyone who put their business card in the pot, a Sandisk MP3 Player with $30 of free music, and 4 Opteron 246s. For anyone who may have been there, I won the first Ferrari hat, the kid in the blue shirt/green pants :)

I wish they did more with MCE because that was the main thing I wanted to hear about, as we're building an HTPC for the house soon.
I knew about 70% of what was said yesterday, so I still learned a good deal about their stuff. It was worth it for me, even though I still had to make the 2 hour drive back to CT :rolleyes:
 
I probably worded that wrong, not everyone gets SBS. They pick one person from the pot.

But still worth getting a business card to put in there :)
 
Waffles730 said:
I probably worded that wrong, not everyone gets SBS. They pick one person from the pot.

But still worth getting a business card to put in there :)
thanks for clearing that up, but yeah, i will make myself a little Business card and play the lottery.
 
Well everyone, I'm trying to decide if I should go tomorrow.

I'm already registered, it's in East Brunswick, NJ and look where I live to the left ;)
I also heard there's free food? What sort of give-a-ways are we talking about?

I'm 18 years old, I fix computers for people, build/overclock/game on my own. But that's about it. Is it worth going to or will I just be around alot of old people bored?
 
If you're less than 10 minutes away I'd give it a shot. I'm 20 minutes away but have a bundle to pick up. I probably wouldn't go if I didnt.
 
so i finally see this thread and they were in burbank...last month..booo i just bought an msi neo4 platinum and evga 6800GT for $350
 
I am going tomorrow, it's just a 7 hours drive from Pgh... luckily my GF's parents live nearby (Eastern PA)
 
Waffles730 said:
Pepsi?! Where? I only saw water. I wanted some sugar :(

I stayed until the end and thought it was interesting for the most part. I think the Avtec guy was the worst though, just reading off the slides. The host made it somewhat interesting and pep-rally like, which I thought was pretty cool. At the end they gave away a dozen or so Ferrari T-Shirts, a couple Ferrari hats, some Winfast motherboards, an ATI x600 I believe it was, an MSI board, Windows SBS for anyone who put their business card in the pot, a Sandisk MP3 Player with $30 of free music, and 4 Opteron 246s. For anyone who may have been there, I won the first Ferrari hat, the kid in the blue shirt/green pants :)

I wish they did more with MCE because that was the main thing I wanted to hear about, as we're building an HTPC for the house soon.
I knew about 70% of what was said yesterday, so I still learned a good deal about their stuff. It was worth it for me, even though I still had to make the 2 hour drive back to CT :rolleyes:

There were only a dozen or so left when I grabbed one, just to the right of where you pick up the bundles (i.e. next to the brownies) I would've stuck around but I was exhausted already - those speeches were as long and as boring as the ones' in the Matrix Reloaded.
The inaccurate sales pitches were putting me to sleep, good thing it was only a ten minute drive home :cool:
 
drizzt81 said:
I am going tomorrow, it's just a 7 hours drive from Pgh... luckily my GF's parents live nearby (Eastern PA)

It's stories like this that make me feel I should go. If your driving 7 hours, when I have to drive 5 minutes, it must be worth it.
 
iam going to a friends house tomm. and then we go 2 the show. afterwards, well smoke a hukah and drink sum liquor at his house. the next day install my new mobo. and then sell the rest of my bundle off. - dont ask, theres a reserve on the bundle already.
 
i drove about 1.5 hours to the boston one.

but damn they gave away crap at the end.

4 "left over probably" opterons

1 3200

2 non high end video cards

a few mobos

lots of tshirts and hats



the food was great. and learned a few things at the same time.
 
n64man120 said:
It's stories like this that make me feel I should go. If your driving 7 hours, when I have to drive 5 minutes, it must be worth it.
Actually, I think you should not go, since it increases my chances to win something in the raffle! :toothless:
 
Some one really wants to sell me there K8SE right.

I just pci-E video card so I need one.
 
If somebody goes for the love of god can they sell me their server package, i will pay 600! i want that stuff sooo bad. Thanks.
 
Please if some one wants to ell or trade me some opterons that would be great they were sold out when I registered, so help me out .
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top