AMD statement regarding driver support for pre 5k cards:

xoleras

2[H]4U
Found this at Anandtech. Simply put, the story about the end of driver support was false, they will continue to support 2000-4000 cards.

AMD will be moving the AMD Radeon™ HD 2000, AMD Radeon HD 3000, and AMD Radeon HD 4000 Series of products to a new driver support model. We will continue to support the mentioned products in our Catalyst releases, but we’re moving their updates to a quarterly basis, whereas our AMD Radeon HD 5000 and later products will continue to see monthly updates. The Quarterly Catalyst releases will focus on resolving application specific issues and critical updates. The reason for the shift in support policy is largely due to the fact that the AMD Radeon HD 2000, AMD Radeon HD 3000, and AMD Radeon HD 4000 Series have been optimized to their maximum potential from a performance and feature perspective. The 8.97 based driver, released in May 2012 will be the first driver for the AMD Radeon HD 2000, AMD Radeon HD 3000, and AMD Radeon HD 4000 Series under the new support model; it is an extremely stable and robust driver branch for these products and will be the baseline for our quarterly updates.

Our main development and testing efforts will now be focused on the AMD Radeon™ HD 5000 and later products. This is the best use of our resources, as the AMD Radeon HD 5000, AMD Radeon HD 6000, AMD Radeon HD 7000, and future products have the greatest potential for further performance and feature enhancements.

Also with regards to Windows 8 support for the AMD Radeon™ HD 2000, 3000, 4000 Series of products; the In-the-box AMD Graphics driver that ships with Windows 8 will include support for the AMD Radeon HD 2000, 3000, and 4000 Series, and it will support the WDDM 1.1 driver level features. The AMD Catalyst driver for Windows 8 will only include support for WDDM 1.2 support products (AMD Radeon HD 5000 and later).

Well, they'll continue to support those cards, but just much less frequently. Still, at this point I imagine any performance benefits to be had from those cards is long in the past.

Well, looks like 1 year til no more updates.

Shame AMD can't support cards as long as Nvidia. 5 years is out of support, but 8 going on 9 year old Nvidia chips still get regular updates.

Smooth move AMD. You'd think at some point they'd want to break the putrid stygma that surround their drivers, but they never seem to care.

We should get a reading comprehension program going here....I kid I kid :rolleyes:

Also: I wasn't aware of the TNT2 still getting driver updates. 9 years old huh?

The TNT2 is 13 years old. I'm talking about the 6 series. Its now over 8 years old.

Also, I'm basing my statement off the fact that the "quarterly" updates for the last set of legacy drivers stopped about a year after they started.

Since there hasn't been a better driver than the 10.3 for my dual 3870 laptop or my 4870x2 it really makes no difference to me at this point. Anything newer causes my laptop to freeze if I so much as run a screensaver. They lost a 12 year customer with their drivers, no reason for them to work harder on them now.

Well, looks like 1 year til no more updates.

Shame AMD can't support cards as long as Nvidia. 5 years is out of support, but 8 going on 9 year old Nvidia chips still get regular updates.

Smooth move AMD. You'd think at some point they'd want to break the putrid stigma that surround their drivers, but they never seem to care.

Unless your using one of those out dated 8 year old cards then your point is moot and is nothing more than the sake of as pc gaming enthusiasts would not be using such cards and your stigma point is moot as the stigma is about quality not quantity.

Last edited:
Since there hasn't been a better driver than the 10.3 for my dual 3870 laptop or my 4870x2 it really makes no difference to me at this point. Anything newer causes my laptop to freeze if I so much as run a screensaver. They lost a 12 year customer with their drivers, no reason for them to work harder on them now.

My friend is still using CF 3870 in his PC with no issues with later drivers and so are plenty of 4870x2 users.

Unless your using one of those out dated 8 year old cards then your point is moot and is nothing more than the sake of as pc gaming enthusiasts would not be using such cards and your stigma point is moot as the stigma is about quality not quantity.

I may not be, but my customers do. You'd be amazed at how many Geforce 6150 and 7025/7050 mobos are in computers less then 2 years old. Acer loves the damn things. I don't understand why AMD is going to pull support when alot of oems still use the 880G/HD4250 chipset. Its foolish.

Not everyone is a hardware enthusiast.

If you really think AMDs drivers are "quality" then you've obviously never used an Nvidia or 3dfx card.

I may not be, but my customers do. You'd be amazed at how many Geforce 6150 and 7025/7050 mobos are in computers less then 2 years old. Acer loves the damn things. I don't understand why AMD is going to pull support when alot of oems still use the 880G/HD4250 chipset. Its foolish.

If you really think AMDs drivers are "quality" then you've obviously never used an Nvidia or 3dfx card.

As the poster said above they are not pulling support and i said nothing of AMD being better quality or worse as i said the stigma is about the quality and not the lack of support for old hardware.
And don't tell about me what i have used as i still have a working 3dfx card and there is plenty on the NV forum who are complaining about the drivers and at least 2 versions of NV drivers have killed cards.

Last edited:
:rolleyes::rolleyes:
They're not pulling support.

Tell me that again when the "quarterly" only lasts a year.

As the poster said above they are not pulling support and i said nothing of AMD being better quality or worse as i said the stigma is about the quality and not the lack of support for old hardware.
And don't tell about me what i have used as i still have a working 3dfx card and there is plenty on the NV forum who are complaining about the drivers and NV drivers have killed cards at least twice.

Heh, I've still got a running 3DFX rig too. I also have to admit, I was on the red team running an HD2600 when the NV drivers killing 6k series cards happend, so I have no input on that. We are getting off topic though.

I just don't see why AMD is setting some of its best selling cards as Legacy when the architecture is still supported (VLIW5), there are still issues that need to be fixed(Corrupted Cursor in multi monitor, Incorrect clock settings for 2D/3D performance modes, to name a few), and OEMs still using the parts in systems less then 1 year old. I stopped selling AMD cards about 2 years ago. Not worth the headache, and that headache only seems to be getting bigger. Great Hardware, always top notch, but terrible support.

I don't see where it says it only lasts a year. I see quarterly updates instead of monthly, but nowhere that says 4 times a year for one year.

If you say so. Since you're into predicting the future, i'm placing bets on next years super bowl, fill me in :cool:

And he made another moot comment as he said tell me that again in a year, as even 7xxx owners could say the same things that AMD are pulling support, tell me that again in xxxx year.
He is ignoring support in context of the article and in that time scale.

Last edited:
Tell me that again when the "quarterly" only lasts a year.

I just don't see why AMD is setting some of its best selling cards as Legacy when the architecture is still supported (VLIW5), there are still issues that need to be fixed(Corrupted Cursor in multi monitor, Incorrect clock settings for 2D/3D performance modes, to name a few), and OEMs still using the parts in systems less then 1 year old. I stopped selling AMD cards about 2 years ago. Not worth the headache, and that headache only seems to be getting bigger. Great Hardware, always top notch, but terrible support.

All my builds for customers are working just fine and i build exclusively AMD, go figure.
I'm personally not having any of the issues you mentioned and im on VLIW5 Quadfire 5970 triple screen.
NV has issues as well for some users with multi screen, both brands have there issues regarding everything related regardless if those issues are exactly that same or not.
Its my not have that issue with multi screen but it has another.

At the end of the day there is no point in talking as if Single/Multi GPU/ Single/Multi screen only has issues on one brand.

Last edited:
I don't see where it says it only lasts a year. I see quarterly updates instead of monthly, but nowhere that says 4 times a year for one year.

And he made another moot comment as he said tell me that again in a year, as even 7xxx owners could say the same things that AMD are pulling support, tell me that again in xxxx year.
He is ignoring support in context of the article and in that time scale.

I'm basing my statement on the history of the previous "Legacy" AMD Drivers. The Quarterly updates only lasted about 1 year.

All my builds for customers are working just fine and i build exclusively AMD, go figure.
I'm personally not having any of the issues you mentioned and im on VLIW5 Quadfire 5970 triple screen.
NV has issues as well for some users with multi screen, both brands have there issues regarding everything related regardless if those issues are exactly that same or not.
Its my not have that issue with multi screen but it has another.

At the end of the day there is no point in talking as if Single/Multi GPU/ Single/Multi screen only has issues on one brand.

Indeed, I'll agree with the fact that some setups will have issues and others won't. The problem with horizontal banding corruption in low power 2D mode on a single GPU with mutiple monitors on 48X0 and 58X0 series cards is a known issue, one I delt with for a very long time. The only way to fix it is A: Mod the drivers to disable low power 2D, B: Change the low power 2D speeds in vBios, or C: only use 11.2 drivers because they were broken and never left Performance 3D. I eventually opted to mod the vBios to fix it, but alot of people don't know how to do this. This is a problem that could have simply been fixed by the driver having a check for type of card and simply disabling low power 2D if its the known configuration. Simple. Never fixed. Now likely never will be. Its easy to find reports of that problem, a simple google search will net you a bunch of hits. Some say it got fixed in 10.4, some say the problem came back in 11.3. Its a crap shoot. This is just one example.

So good on ya having a bunch of AMDs out and not having issues. All the AMDs that were put out before I came on here had bad fans, but thats not AMDs fault, thats the board partner.

Your glass is half full, mines half empty.

I'm basing my statement on the history of the previous "Legacy" AMD Drivers. The Quarterly updates only lasted about 1 year.

Indeed, I'll agree with the fact that some setups will have issues and others won't. The problem with horizontal banding corruption in low power 2D mode on a single GPU with mutiple monitors on 48X0 and 58X0 series cards is a known issue, one I delt with for a very long time. The only way to fix it is A: Mod the drivers to disable low power 2D, B: Change the low power 2D speeds in vBios, or C: only use 11.2 drivers because they were broken and never left Performance 3D. I eventually opted to mod the vBios to fix it, but alot of people don't know how to do this. This is a problem that could have simply been fixed by the driver having a check for type of card and simply disabling low power 2D if its the known configuration. Simple. Never fixed. Now likely never will be. Its easy to find reports of that problem, a simple google search will net you a bunch of hits. Some say it got fixed in 10.4, some say the problem came back in 11.3. Its a crap shoot. This is just one example.

So good on ya having a bunch of AMDs out and not having issues. All the AMDs that were put out before I came on here had bad fans, but thats not AMDs fault, thats the board partner.

Your glass is half full, mines half empty.

AMD said that they are not dropping support and in that time scale and regards to the statement made within it, so in regards to the article they are not dropping support and in relation to that article they are not, nothing has been said about a years time in that article so in that respect a years time is not in context with that article because as i have said you could say that about any product as soon has its hits the shelf because support will be dropped for all of them eventually, hence why context is needed.

Never had thoes issue, but that aint the point, the point is that both brands have known issues whether you personally experience them or not.

We could both type here all week with know issues for each brand there are plenty of sources to quote from, it still solves nothing.

Last edited:
Like I said, Half a glass.

The difference is i would not feel the need to keep moaning about it once my situation changed.

If i had been useing NV cards i would of had 2 590's they would of popped the VRM's i would of been pissed and moaned on the forums and switched to AMD and would not of kept bring it up time and time again in NV threads unless i was asked or the thread title had direct relevance, this thread is not about the issues of AMD drivers.

Last edited:
Seems like restructuring internally. more focus on Modern cards will help with the "complaints". Who knows how well they are staffed in this department.

I would have guessed they'd move the 2000 and 3000 series cards to legacy but the 4000s? Some of the cards in the 4000 line had product in the retail channel 3 years ago. What is the limitation of the 4000 series that keeps it from playing with the 5000s and up?

If you are a gamer, the 5830/6850 has been $110 for year(s) now and blows away the 4 series card.

Good riddance. This isn't like Creative labs that obsoletes their stupid sound card drivers once a year it seems like!

They aren't using those to play games, so who cares if they get updated drivers? Just because a new driver isn't shipped doesn't mean the old one suddenly stops working. Nvidia doesn't continue to optimize 4+ year old cards either, why aren't you bitching about that?

I agree. AMD's mobile driver support = NEVER again. I don't care who makes the laptop, how powerful it is, nor how cheap it is vs a similar nVidia powered one. NO AMD GPU in my future, and it's going to stay that way for quite some time. I took ONE damn chance on AMD, after just short of a decade of nVidia only laptops, not going to make that stupid mistake again.

They aren't using those to play games, so who cares if they get updated drivers? Just because a new driver isn't shipped doesn't mean the old one suddenly stops working. Nvidia doesn't continue to optimize 4+ year old cards either, why aren't you bitching about that?

I've explained my stance several times now. If you don't understand, that's on you.

Back