AMD shows of Fluid Motion Frames (AFMF), FG tech that works for all DX11/DX12 games

So if you’re expecting a “performance” boost, like all the marketing says it is, then you’ll be disappointed and confused, like I was initially.But if you think about Frame Generation purely as a graphical feature/setting, and use it as such, then I think it makes sense.
oooooohh..... so thats why it tanks every game i tried it on.

So I been trying out AFMF more with my dual-GPU setup, and it's interesting. I'm using 3090Ti as the game render GPU, and have the 7900XT connected to the displays. For the past year I've been experimenting with using Magpie for dual-GPU upscaling & ReShade and it looks like AFMF has some potential there despite me using a 4K60hz monitor.

In Radeon Settings I've got AFMF toggled on for both Cyberpunk and Magpie, and it looks like AFMF may actually be working twice- the FPS counter in Magpie is double the fps counter in-game (usually these would be matched if VSync is off), and the fps counter on Radeon overlay is double that of Magpie. Radeon Software shows AFMF as "Active" for both applications when Magpie is engaged. In addition, I'm doing frameblending in Magpie via ReShade in hopes of smoothing out screen tearing.

The notion I'm working with, is what if I can turn a ~45-70fps base framerate range into a ~180-280fps range so my 60hz monitor has an opportunity to pick up some new frame every refresh with minimal judder. This would also be a good base when I finally upgrade to a high-refresh panel.

And so far? It actually seems pretty cromulent. The look and feel reminds me a lot of when I was trying out a 4070 and DLSS FrameGenning from below my refresh rate to above. Yeah there's input lag but I'm on controller and doing what I can (Reflex, Low-Latency) to mitigate. Visually it looks good? I think? Or maybe staring at it too long has messed my eyes up lol.

I'm gonna try and see if I can get my capture card to do 240hz- even if just at 1080P- so I can go frame-by-frame and see WTH is actually going on.

Interesting times though. I think framegen/frameblending will definitely be staying in my post-processing repertoire from now on. Can't wait to try it on a proper high-refresh monitor in the future :)

So I been trying out AFMF more with my dual-GPU setup, and it's interesting. I'm using 3090Ti as the game render GPU, and have the 7900XT connected to the displays. For the past year I've been experimenting with using Magpie for dual-GPU upscaling & ReShade and it looks like AFMF has some potential there despite me using a 4K60hz monitor.

In Radeon Settings I've got AFMF toggled on for both Cyberpunk and Magpie, and it looks like AFMF may actually be working twice- the FPS counter in Magpie is double the fps counter in-game (usually these would be matched if VSync is off), and the fps counter on Radeon overlay is double that of Magpie. Radeon Software shows AFMF as "Active" for both applications when Magpie is engaged. In addition, I'm doing frameblending in Magpie via ReShade in hopes of smoothing out screen tearing.

The notion I'm working with, is what if I can turn a ~45-70fps base framerate range into a ~180-280fps range so my 60hz monitor has an opportunity to pick up some new frame every refresh with minimal judder. This would also be a good base when I finally upgrade to a high-refresh panel.

And so far? It actually seems pretty cromulent. The look and feel reminds me a lot of when I was trying out a 4070 and DLSS FrameGenning from below my refresh rate to above. Yeah there's input lag but I'm on controller and doing what I can (Reflex, Low-Latency) to mitigate. Visually it looks good? I think? Or maybe staring at it too long has messed my eyes up lol.

I'm gonna try and see if I can get my capture card to do 240hz- even if just at 1080P- so I can go frame-by-frame and see WTH is actually going on.

Interesting times though. I think framegen/frameblending will definitely be staying in my post-processing repertoire from now on. Can't wait to try it on a proper high-refresh monitor in the future :)
Wow very interesting. Not many folks with the equipment or knowledge to investigate such things. Good on ya.
But...cromulent wtf? :ROFLMAO:

Wow very interesting. Not many folks with the equipment or knowledge to investigate such things. Good on ya.
Heh, thanks. I enjoy doing weird experiments. People give me flack for it sometimes, but for me trying dumb shit is at least half the fun of messing with PCs.

This spring with FSR3 nowhere in sight, I cobbled together a ReShade preset that used a combo of frame blending, optical flow-based motion blur, and clever buffering tricks to make a "FrameGen" shader for Magpie. The ghosting was too bad to be usable for my "holy grail" of 30fps -> 60fps (which was no surprise given my rudimentary method) but looking at (no B-Frame) captures frame-by-frame confirmed it was actually creating new frames with intermediate motion and not just simple blending. Fun stuff. Even if my experiments don't always result in an improved gaming experience for me I like trying things.
But...cromulent wtf? :ROFLMAO:
We can blame that on the amount of British and Aussie Youtubers I watch... Commonwealth slang is right catchy, mate ;)

Last edited:
AMD added RX 6000 series support to the preview driver: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-23-30-afmf-tech-preview

Tested it on my RX 6900 XT OC Formula and it works, just not worth it on that machine since it's hooked up to an ancient 4K 60hz display. Having to turn off Vsync on a 60hz display for AFMF is disgusting.
I have a 6750 on a 120hz 1080p display I’ll have to give it a go at some point. It’s business display so no VRR or any of that goodness so getting it frame locked to 120 could be a big plus.

Heh, thanks. I enjoy doing weird experiments. People give me flack for it sometimes, but for me trying dumb shit is at least half the fun of messing with PCs.

This spring with FSR3 nowhere in sight, I cobbled together a ReShade preset that used a combo of frame blending, optical flow-based motion blur, and clever buffering tricks to make a "FrameGen" shader for Magpie. The ghosting was too bad to be usable for my "holy grail" of 30fps -> 60fps (which was no surprise given my rudimentary method) but looking at (no B-Frame) captures frame-by-frame confirmed it was actually creating new frames with intermediate motion and not just simple blending. Fun stuff. Even if my experiments don't always result in an improved gaming experience for me I like trying things.
The most [H] post I've read in the last year.

Ye
i think i was actually seeing what this guy points out, that rivatuner doesnt show the fmf frames so shows ~half of what amd overlay shows. still didnt feel better to me and i can see all the artifacts from it...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fntx4ndUx2A

Yep, once you see the artifacts, it is hard not to see them. Metro Exodus at 70 to 80 fps with FreeSync to me is smoother than over a 100 fps without FreeSync. When you get FreeSync working with AFMF it is much better than without for smoothness. Still have to play more with it. So far it is not usable for me.

Well, I decided that AFMF is interesting enough to finally dip my toes into high-refresh-rate gaming and I made a purchase...

IMG_20231012_154528715~2.jpg

Nothing fancy, just a cheapo 1440 34" UW that was on sale at Amazon this week. I don't really like spending big on monitors and I'm not sure I'm sold on UW... Might rather go for 120hz 4K eventually, we'll see. The 4K60 panel is now become the most overkill vertical secondary monitor in existence lol

Being able to use the 7900XT for AFMF and postprocessing is gonna be nice since there's really no overhead that way. Just straight doubles whatever framerate the 3090Ti can manage!

I only had time to try AFMF on the new display for literally like 10mins so far, but it seems nice. ~50fps doubled up to ~100 on the high-refresh panel looks nicer than ~50fps on the 60hz monitor. One thing I will say right off is that I never got to really see the effect of AFMF on the 60hz panel since the tearing ruined everything, but on the high-refresh panel with Freesync enabled it does look quite smooth to me. FWIW I don't really mind "blobby" motion artifacts from FrameGen... Shimmery upscaling artifacts are a big nope, but I'll tolerate some smearing. Ofc native high-refresh is better but I'm more interested in pushing gfx quality as high as possible with a ~50fps base rate and I should be well set up to appreciate that now :)

I've got the next 3 days off so I will definitely be doing a lot of testing (and maybe actually progressing thru Phantom Liberty, we'll see)

Last edited:
I keep my monitors for a long time, and it's my window into the computer, used with everything I interact with. I think it's worth spending more for an amazing one :) in general. Keep us updated, your experiment is very interesting!
Everybody does, the average monitor will see 3 distinct PC’s over its lifetime.

Please note:

👇

Get ready to see a bunch of reviews of Fluid Motion frames complaining about tearing and stutter.
Because they didn’t set it up correctly.

I’d like to blame the reviewers, but AMD didn’t do a great job of explaining how to set it up correctly.

Most people don’t know you need to have a frame cap below your freesync range.

Nobody will know you have to cap it to half that with frame generation.

https://twitter.com/GraphicallyChal/status/1712871236827861011?s=20

Please note:

👇

Get ready to see a bunch of reviews of Fluid Motion frames complaining about tearing and stutter.
Because they didn’t set it up correctly.

I’d like to blame the reviewers, but AMD didn’t do a great job of explaining how to set it up correctly.

Most people don’t know you need to have a frame cap below your freesync range.

Nobody will know you have to cap it to half that with frame generation.

https://twitter.com/GraphicallyChal/status/1712871236827861011?s=20
Really the fact that you have to manually cap things and are required as a user to essentially build a game by game profile for it, is a big problem from my perspective.

These are things you shouldn’t have to do.

I look forward to future patches where they get this ironed out but I am somewhat sad about the state FSR3 launched in I had hoped for better.

Not about performance or quality those are about where I expected, but all the eccentricities around configuration or limitations.

AMD Fluid Motion Frames leaves beta, joins HYPR-RX for all RDNA 2 and RDNA 3 owners

After months in beta and a few updates, AMD's driver level frame generation called Fluid Motion Frames, is officially becoming a part of the HYPR-RX suite.

With Fluid Motion Frames as part of the driver, Radeon RX 7000 and Radeon RX 6000 Series owners can now enable frame generation globally in any DirectX 11 or DirectX 12 title.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/9537...ypr-rx-for-all-rdna-2-and-3-owners/index.html

( I believe anti-lag+ is still missing ?? )

AMD taunts Nvidia:

AMD Comments on NVIDIA’s Lack of Driver-Based Frame Gen: “They’re Probably Going to Need to Do Something Similar”

Aaron Steinman (Senior Manager, Radeon Product Management at AMD) seems to think that NVIDIA could be handling its technologies better, pointing out this week how some of AMD’s solutions, such as Fluid Motion Frames and Radeon Super Resolution, are driver/software-based rather and less dependent on specific hardware. Steinman, who previously worked at NVIDIA over a decade ago, believes that NVIDIA will eventually have to copy what AMD is doing

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2024/0...obably-going-to-need-to-do-something-similar/

Back