AMD Ryzen Launch Date Window Exposed?

Nerds on both sides of the line pick a champion and speculate about a chip where the only data we have is one or two games and hyperoble from the manufacturer. Ugh.

Nerds on both sides of the line pick a champion and speculate about a chip where the only data we have is one or two games and hyperoble from the manufacturer. Ugh.

I haven't made any decisions yet. I'm eager for this to be AMD's successful comeback, but even if it is a hit, I'm probably not rushing to buy. My current system works, I don't NEED an immediate upgrade. I'll probably wait it out a few months after launch and see how things develop.

All I saw at CES were cherry picked benchmarks and games that aren't CPU limited. The Bulldozer launch was pretty much the same way. The AMD server guy shouted "IPC goes up!!!" about Bulldozer. This is mirroring the Bulldozer launch and that is why some of us are worried. The next thing I expect are independent leaks showing Ryzen is slower than expected and no one will believe them (but they will end up being true). I hope this isn't another Bulldozer because I don't want Intel to take another $300 million away from R&D and put it towards diversity programs.

Really? So, you are concerned that it is going to be slower than the Zambezi architecture now? You have nothing to worry about and furthermore, this is not even close to what it was back in 2011. :)

What are the chances that intel goes to the back room, blows some dust off a box then suddenly introduces a chip with 15% more performance than Kaby?
Doubt it. That tech is worth more in upgrade cycles for their main profitable meat and potatoes - server markets...

So, your worry is based on 5 year old tech, good for you. No need to worry at all from where I am sitting but hey, I guess CES 2017 was just showing fake products, eh?

If you want to take risks with your money that's your problem.

I have learned the hard way to trust ABSOLUTELY NOTHING until the product is launched, on the market and reviewed by independent reviewers.

No amount of leaks, rumors and official marketing presentations are going to sway me again. While preliminary evidence looks good, we have still only seen tests under controlled conditions by AMD's marketing department which is anything but unbiased. Zen could still turn out to be a fail.

I hope it won't be, and I don't think it will be. I think it is rather unlikely this time given what we've seen thus far, but there is still the risk that we have seen cherry picked benchmarks under cherry picked conditions that don't reflect typical use.

Since there is absolutely no value what so ever in being the "first" to own new tech, I might as well hold off until everything is confirmed.

I won't be rushing out to buy even if launch day reviews come back stellar though. I'll take my time, plan things out, and buy when the accessories, coolers, motherboards etc. that I want are available and ready.

Last edited:
What are the chances that intel goes to the back room, blows some dust off a box then suddenly introduces a chip with 15% more performance than Kaby?

Seems highly unlikely to me.

One of the advantages of not having real competition is that you can stay ahead without spending as much money on R&D.

R&D is very expensive. If they don't think they have competition, they are under obligation to their shareholders to spend less on developing new advancements they don't need, and we've seen this with their massive layoffs.

I feel like they COULD HAVE developed newer and faster technology had they wanted to keep spending as if they were in a competitive market for the last 10 years, but I don't think they did. They would have been under pressure to show the financial results to Wall Street instead.

I have learned the hard way to trait ABSILUTELY NOTHING until the product is laubched, on the market and reviewed by independent reviewers.

No amount of leaks, rumors and official marketing presentations are going to sway me again. While preliminary evidence looks good, we have still only seen tests under controlled conditions by AMD's marketing department which is anything but unbiased. Zen could still turn out to be a fail.

I hope it won't be, and I don't think it will be. I think it is rather unlikely this time given what we've seen thus far, but there is still the risk that we have seen cherry picked benchmarks under cherry picked conditions that don't reflect typical use.

Since there is absolutely no value what so ever in being the "first" to own new tech, I might as well hold off until everything is confirmed.

I won't be rushing out to buy even if launch day reviews come back stellar though. I'll take my time, plan things out, and buy when the accessories, coolers, motherboards et.c that I want are available and ready.

The thing is, there is no problem at all. It is a fact that it is faster than what I already have by no small amount. I already know what I want anyways, an X370 for home and a B350 for work. The only real question is whether I go for a 6 or 8 core in each system.

I have learned the hard way to trait ABSILUTELY NOTHING until the product is laubched, on the market and reviewed by independent reviewers.

I won't be rushing out to buy even if launch day reviews come back stellar though. I'll take my time, plan things out, and buy when the accessories, coolers, motherboards et.c that I want are available and ready.
Put down the coffee my good man; that's some strong brew. If someone wants to support early on this round, good for them and it is their decision. Your opinion about waiting is valid; research is always good but don't burst people's bubble with comments like that's your problem. This reflects poorly.

The thing is, there is no problem at all. It is a fact that it is faster than what I already have by no small amount. I already know what I want anyways, an X370 for home and a B350 for work. The only real question is whether I go for a 6 or 8 core in each system.

While you are probably right, until the final silicon is launched and has gone through independent reviewers hands, we have no facts at all. We have rumors based on supposed leaks (that also could just be plain made up) and we have "official" numbers from a marketing department whose job it is to manipulate us into buying their companies products.

I'd agree with you, the chances of Zen being a disappointment coming from any FX platform are very very slim at this point, but please stop confusing facts with beliefs based on shaky sources. :p

While you are probably right, until the final silicon is launched and has gone through independent reviewers hands, we have no facts at all. We have rumors based on supposed leaks (that also could just be plain made up) and we have "official" numbers from a marketing department whose job it is to manipulate us into buying their companies products.

I'd agree with you, the chances of Zen being a disappointment coming from any FX platform are very very slim at this point, but please stop confusing facts with beliefs based on shaky sources. :p

That's cool. However, it is a fact that it will be 40% higher IPC than Excavator and that is already higher than Piledriver, which I am on right now. The only question for myself will be, 6 cores or 8? :)

I built probably a dozen PCs in my life, only two of them had Intel CPUs. When Bulldozer came out, I took a week off from work to build a custom water cooling loop and spend a few days overclocking Bulldozer. I had a Thuban 1090T, overclocked to 3.9 GHz and replaced it with a FX-8150. I got the Bulldozer up to 4.9 GHz, but the voltages were too crazy and I ended up at 4.6 GHz. The end result was the Thuban was about even +/- 10% with the Bulldozer in single thread performance, but the Thuban was faster in about half of the multi-threaded. In real word cases like compiling huge projects, the Thuban was faster. Don't make the same mistake as me, wait for the independent reviews. Bulldozer was claimed to have 10% increase in IPC, the reality was it was about the same in most programs. When AMD says 40% increase in IPC, you should read that as 40% IPC gain in a specific program that they optimized heavily.

I built probably a dozen PCs in my life, only two of them had Intel CPUs. When Bulldozer came out, I took a week off from work to build a custom water cooling loop and spend a few days overclocking Bulldozer. I had a Thuban 1090T, overclocked to 3.9 GHz and replaced it with a FX-8150. I got the Bulldozer up to 4.9 GHz, but the voltages were too crazy and I ended up at 4.6 GHz. The end result was the Thuban was about even +/- 10% with the Bulldozer in single thread performance, but the Thuban was faster in about half of the multi-threaded. In real word cases like compiling huge projects, the Thuban was faster. Don't make the same mistake as me, wait for the independent reviews. Bulldozer was claimed to have 10% increase in IPC, the reality was it was about the same in most programs. When AMD says 40% increase in IPC, you should read that as 40% IPC gain in a specific program that they optimized heavily.

Not really, I will be just fine buying the Ryzen architecture. :) Do not forget that Jim Keller is significant part of this release and this is not a change in the way things are done like the CMT of the FX processors were.

has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like

What? What you said does not make sense. If you are saying what I said make no sense, then let me expand it out: The FX processors used the clustered multi threading and the new Zen's do not but the more traditional SMT of previous processor architectures and Intel's current.

Vega and Ryzen both show serious promise???...am I back in 2004 again?...AMD is finally ready to get back in the high performance game?

No need to waste my time, I just have to have an exact date. ;) To bad those who do know cannot tell us. (I am sure Kyle does not know nor anyone else outside of AMD, most likely.) Nice trip to a 3 hour away Microcenter. :)

Damn, I didn't buy the 5960X until it had been out like 7 months, and that was Intel's first 8 core enthusiast processor. I just don't see needed time off because of a CPU launch, or the need to have it day one.

Damn, I didn't buy the 5960X until it had been out like 7 months, and that was Intel's first 8 core enthusiast processor. I just don't see needed time off because of a CPU launch, or the need to have it day one.

You must have a Microcenter locally?

What? What you said does not make sense. If you are saying what I said make no sense, then let me expand it out: The FX processors used the clustered multi threading and the new Zen's do not but the more traditional SMT of previous processor architectures and Intel's current.

Okay now I get what you meant, for the love of goodness I couldn't parse it, heh. (My cryptic reply was a snarky old meme ...)

You must have a Microcenter locally?

I don't think I've ever even seen a Microcenter.

Maybe has the interweb within walking distance.

Bingo. I still remember the horrendous gnashing of teeth because people couldn't get a 6700K on day one - I just built my first 6700K rig a couple of months ago. About a year after launch, no shortages, no F5 every 2 seconds, just buy the stuff and build at a leisurely pace. Damn sure didn't need a day off.

I don't think I've ever even seen a Microcenter.

Bingo. I still remember the horrendous gnashing of teeth because people couldn't get a 6700K on day one - I just built my first 6700K rig a couple of months ago. About a year after launch, no shortages, no F5 every 2 seconds, just buy the stuff and build at a leisurely pace. Damn sure didn't need a day off.

So you do not need a day off, that good for you. Me, I want more than a day off because I am going to be driving down there, picking up a board and processor for each machine, coming back and building over the next few days after that. For me, that is a fun road trip and even more fun after that. :) I am going to order the ram a few days before though because they do not have HyperX or G Skill ram.

Also, I already called and they explained to me that they don't do pre orders for their cpu's and mainboards. :) Also, going to that store allows me to avoid the F5 spammers online as well and I get to enjoy the build on the same day! :D:ROFLMAO::happy:

Edit: Oh, and who said anything about just one day off?

Maybe has the interweb within walking distance.

That's nice, good thing I do not base my purchases on what you guys think I should or should not get. Makes me a much happier person all around. :)

AMD fans who are HARD on the Kool Aid crack me up!

Based on the trends of what AMD has done since their decline to the bottom. Ive wrote AMD off. Its up to them to turn that around. I have alot of doubt. I to will wait for the [H] review.

[QUOTE="German Muscle, post: 1042753785, member: 120588"}Intel fans who are HARD on the Kool Aid crack me up![/QUOTE]

Fixed that for you. If you actually believe that it is even remotely possible for it to be worse than what AMD is already selling, I have some swamp land in Florida to sell you. :) Criticizing others based upon their choice of products and preferences usually shows that you are the person with the issues. Me? I am seriously looking forward to the road trip and a few days off from work. :) Nothing to worry about here other than a guaranteed performance increase.

Otherwise, do you honestly think that mainboard manufacturers are going to produce all those mainboards for day one release if Ryzen is a flop?

Fixed that for you. If you actually believe that it is even remotely possible for it to be worse than what AMD is already selling, I have some swamp land in Florida to sell you. :) Criticizing others based upon their choice of products and preferences usually shows that you are the person with the issues. Me? I am seriously looking forward to the road trip and a few days off from work. :) Nothing to worry about here other than a guaranteed performance increase.

Otherwise, do you honestly think that mainboard manufacturers are going to produce all those mainboards for day one release if Ryzen is a flop?
Please dont put words in my mouth. You didnt fix anything. You just exposed yourself as being one who is hard on the kool aid being your so offensive about what i said. I have no problem with AMD fans who are reasonable and are logical. Maybe you should stop and think before replying. Its the fanboys who are on the kool aid that i find comical. Thats why it said just that. This is a product that isnt out yet so im taking everything with a grain of salt and will wait for the review. Being that its not out means its NOT a guarantee of its performance hype thus far. Thats what independent reviews are all about. Seeing whats real and what is bullshit. As for your mainboard comment. They made day one mainboards for all the previous chips that have come from any CPU company. Im not sure why you think because they are making boards on launch that it supports your self fabricated success of this chip THAT ISNT EVEN OUT YET.

I bet if my rig in my signature wasnt Intel your reply would have been completely different.

Please dont put words in my mouth.

If you do not want me to put words in your mouth, do not accuse me of something you know nothing about. Anything further can be taken to PM. Personally, I just hope they do not release it on the very first weekend in March because I am doing the Shamrock 8k in Buffalo, NY on that Saturday and already paid for it.

Edit: And I am an AMD fan through and through but, I am not a fanboy. Whatever, I am sure you will try to convince me that I am otherwise, have fun. :D And to make it obviously clear, if the chip was going to be a flop and slower than the FX processors, motherboard manufacturers would not waste their money or time. They are in the business to make money, not lose it.

Rumor is they're calling it ThreadRipper in Ryzen CPUs.
Wow, thats even worse than Ryzen

Uh, yea... because people like you are going to rush out and buy it day 0. Bulldozer had motherboards too, so having motherboards and a bunch of cherry picked benches and claims directly from AMD marketing is still proof of nothing.

I'll wait and see. If its good enough maybe I'll be able to live up to my username again... its been since A64 that an AMD CPU was the thing to get

If you do not want me to put words in your mouth, do not accuse me of something you know nothing about. Anything further can be taken to PM. Personally, I just hope they do not release it on the very first weekend in March because I am doing the Shamrock 8k in Buffalo, NY on that Saturday and already paid for it.

Edit: And I am an AMD fan through and through but, I am not a fanboy. Whatever, I am sure you will try to convince me that I am otherwise, have fun. :D
I never accused you of anything.

Wow, thats even worse than Ryzen

Uh, yea... because people like you are going to rush out and buy it day 0. Bulldozer had motherboards too, so having motherboards and a bunch of cherry picked benches and claims directly from AMD marketing is still proof of nothing.

I'll wait and see. If its good enough maybe I'll be able to live up to my username again... its been since A64 that an AMD CPU was the thing to get

Really dude, you think they will just make these things if they are not at least guaranteed a successful sales of their products? Oh well, enjoy whatever you want, I know I will. :)

This guy is loony. I haven't facepalmed this many times in a single thread in ages.

I am loony for knowing what I want to spend my money on and also what I want to do on the release date? Should I now start saying people are loony for spending wasteful sums of money for going to Disney World?

I am loony for knowing what I want to spend my money on and also what I want to do on the release date? Should I now start saying people are loony for spending wasteful sums of money for going to Disney World?

When people take a trip they read up and plan it. They KNOW what they are getting. You have no idea. You are so far up AMD's asshole they could release a CPU as fast as an old K6-2 and you would lap it up. A few posts above this you said you aren't a fanboy.. yet, even with REAL REVIEWS of Intel cpu's out there that stomp yours and you haven't purchased one, yet along comes an AMD chip with very little real world showing and you jump all over it.

That, in a nutshell, makes you a fanboy. It doesn't really matter how you see yourself, it's what you are.

Back