AMD Ryzen 8000G Processors Launched for the AI PC Era + 5 series updates

Wow after finding out the specs of the 8300 and 8500, no thanks. Those CPUs are friggin dookie. No wonder they are OEM only.
Well, they're also low-end chips aimed at light usage. By comparison, look at the e-core-only Intel chips (or some atom variants) that have only support a single DIMM or only 8 PCIe slots.

Grandma doesn't need 16x PCIe lanes or a 4x PCIe SSD to play Candy Crush.

I mean, look at this dumb statement from PCGamesN: "This won’t be much of a problem if you’re using a low-end GPU that only has a 4x interface anyway, but it will definitely impact the performance of high-end GPUs, such as the GeForce RTX 4090." Who's gonna pair a low-end 4 core APU with an RTX 4090? He should be ashamed of himself for saying that.

If you run a business then you shouldn't be using an OS like Windows 7 just from a security point of view. There are some cases where you need to run Windows 7 for old legacy applications and hardware, but if you're not then you just want to run Windows 7 because you hate to deal with change. This is why I left Windows for Linux, because I know eventually I'd have to switch over to Windows 11 just or security updates.
Amen. I’ll probably go Mac for daily and a firewalled 11 for game night. I figure get something that plays well with my phone if I have to learn a new OS

There has been much hype about the 8700G, about how many people would no longer need a GPU....

....but it is too damn expensive for what it is.

For most games you'd get better performance out of a Core i3-12100 + a Radeon RX-6500 XT (and the 6500xt is terrible!)

Oh and a i3-12100+RX6500 is a hundred bucks cheaper than an 8700G.

Move up to an i3-12100 RX6600, which is approximately the same price, and it is absolute murder.

There has been much hype about the 8700G, about how many people would no longer need a GPU....

....but it is too damn expensive for what it is.

For most games you'd get better performance out of a Core i3-12100 + a Radeon RX-6500 XT (and the 6500xt is terrible!)

Oh and a i3-12100+RX6500 is a hundred bucks cheaper than an 8700G.

Move up to an i3-12100 RX6600, which is approximately the same price, and it is absolute murder.
Up in Canuckistan the 12100F + RX6600 is actually cheaper than what I can get the 8700G for…

Now that the 8700G is out the only thing it’s managed to do is renew my interest in some of the rumoured Intel APU offerings for Intel 15’th gen.

The 8700G needs a 30% price cut just to compete with AMDs own offerings.

Up in Canuckistan the 12100F + RX6600 is actually cheaper than what I can get the 8700G for…
If you build on a AM4 platform & DDR4 RAM then you can even afford the radeon 7600 for the same total cost

I'm surprised that they are still using a monolithic die for this. Dividing things up along the natural cpu, gpu, ai-processor lines looks, to my admittedly inexpert eyes, to be far less problematic that dividing a cpu or gpu into chiplets.

They've been doing it with last year's desktop cpu's, with the igpu being integrated in the i/o die. Why is amd not going for the same flexibility and cost savings in this case?

Last edited:
I'm surprised that they are still using a monolithic die for this. Dividing things up along the natural cpu, gpu, ai-processor lines looks, to my admittedly inexpert eyes, to be far less problematic that dividing a cpu or gpu into chiplets.

They've been doing it with last year's desktop cpu's, with the igpu being integrated in the i/o die. Why is amd not going for the same flexibility and cost savings in this case?
Must be power consumption

Fun fact, the overwhelming bulk of the things people hate about Windows 11 and its telemetry can be permanently disabled by declaring your Internet connection as Metered, Microsoft already lost that lawsuit, and re-enabling telemetry, advertising, automatic downloads, or anything else over that would just land them in another they would be guaranteed to loose.
Microsoft has no means of knowing if your internet is or is not metered, so you check that box and they have to assume it is.
Just upgraded to Win11 yesterday to test the HDR support. Thanks for pointing this out. For anyone else looking for this setting, press Win-key + I, then go here:
1706808078721.png

Must be power consumption
Seem to be the case:
https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-to-...e-its-more-cost-effective-and-power-efficient

Cost and power and those size (like for their laptop cpu), those APU are still in manageable size (178mm), the bigger 16 core apu will probably shift where it would become worth it.

RAM bandwidth is also a potential reason.

I'd imagine with the extra bandwidth needed for VRAM for the IGP, the infinity fabric link to the memory controller - which can already hold back fast DDR5 RAM on non IGP applications - it becomes more effective to just make it as a single die.

Back