AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Retail CPU Overclocking X 2 @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Retail CPU Overclocking X 2 - We have seen what the Ryzen 7 1700 sampled to us by AMD would do when it comes to overclocking, but what happens when you purchase a 1700 CPU? We went out and purchased one online and one locally and put these to test to find out their overclocking prowess. Not all CPUs are created equally.

Last edited:
My 1700X is stable at 3.9 at 1.43 volts so it looks like your 1700 non x chips are right there. Man does the chip fly at this speed so I am not worried about not quite hitting 4 ghz. Best part is Fallout 4 used to stutter on me with my old 8350 even at 4.7 ghz and now no stutter so I am quite happy with that. I went with double rank memory tho so right now I am at 2666 speeds and I hope to get to 3200 eventually down the line as they tweak the bios.

Great stuff! Love seeing retail samples being tested and these two look rather consistent. The stability part is by far the most important part of OCing and the true measure of the cpu OC potential. Talking about doing it right, great stuff. Good video.

did you try fiddling with the bclk at all? my fx chips always seems to prefer a higher fsb, lower multiplier. theyd have higher clocks but lower voltages/temps. bclk and fsb are the same thing right, just a different name?

oh oops, missed that part. watched vid before reading. I could have sworn that the new GB guy said it had bclk control...

edit: bclk control is on the k5 and k7, not the plain gaming 5

Last edited:
I can't recall a CPU that so consistently hits a wall at specific clocks, which in this case is 4Ghz.

did you try fiddling with the bclk at all? my fx chips always seems to prefer a higher fsb, lower multiplier. theyd have higher clocks but lower voltages/temps. bclk and fsb are the same thing right, just a different name?
Exact same behavior with my FX chips (all of them, 8120,8350,9590).

I am planning to test that out as well with the BCLK on the 1700x. Currently looks like using PState0 OCing I get stable up to 3.9ghz but that means all the cores are switching from one power state to another rapidly until fully loaded with voltage changing each time. So next stage is straight multiplier/manual volts which would keep it all very consistent. Using PState0 at 3.975ghz I can boot into windows run AiDa stress test while I do other stuff but it will fail in about 10 min. At 3.95 it maybe OK but not convinced yet, ran Aida for 30 min and looping 3dmark TimeSpy, changed the priority of Aida 64 using the task manager and the computer crashed.

BCLK on RyZen if the motherboard supports it also affects the pcie speeds which means you could incur instability from pcie SSD's, graphics cards etc. So I say that is more limiting on the X370 then AM3+ but does allow some options up to a certain point.

Software wise the AI Suite took me to 4.05 before it crashed and burned (supposed to restart the system with the OC setting, except my system would not restart until resetting the bios). Second try with a temperature limitation took me to 3.9ghz but a ridiculous voltage of 1.5v. Deleted from the hard drive.

Have not tried Ryzen Master yet - probably will do that after bios fun is exhausted.

If I do upgrade my 1620v2 to ryzen it'll be in about 3 to 6 months time to let both the motherboard makers and software mature.

I always appreciate these second takes with retail hardware to help us set realistic expectations.

I am planning to test that out as well with the BCLK on the 1700x. Currently looks like using PState0 OCing I get stable up to 3.9ghz but that means all the cores are switching from one power state to another rapidly until fully loaded with voltage changing each time. So next stage is straight multiplier/manual volts which would keep it all very consistent. Using PState0 at 3.975ghz I can boot into windows run AiDa stress test while I do other stuff but it will fail in about 10 min. At 3.95 it maybe OK but not convinced yet, ran Aida for 30 min and looping 3dmark TimeSpy, changed the priority of Aida 64 using the task manager and the computer crashed.

BCLK on RyZen if the motherboard supports it also affects the pcie speeds which means you could incur instability from pcie SSD's, graphics cards etc. So I say that is more limiting on the X370 then AM3+ but does allow some options up to a certain point.

Software wise the AI Suite took me to 4.05 before it crashed and burned (supposed to restart the system with the OC setting, except my system would not restart until resetting the bios). Second try with a temperature limitation took me to 3.9ghz but a ridiculous voltage of 1.5v. Deleted from the hard drive.

Have not tried Ryzen Master yet - probably will do that after bios fun is exhausted.
But isn't the PCI-e tied to FSB/BLCK so you cant get more than 107 before corruption? The Stilt covered that in his in depth coverage of these processors. Hopefully there are some boards that have the PCI-e seperate and able to hold at 100, someone mentioned that a later revision would be able to do this , Gigabyte Maybe.

But isn't the PCI-e tied to FSB/BLCK so you cant get more than 107 before corruption? The Stilt covered that in his in depth coverage of these processors. Hopefully there are some boards that have the PCI-e seperate and able to hold at 100, someone mentioned that a later revision would be able to do this , Gigabyte Maybe.
Usually the device will negotiate for a slower speed as in pcie 2 or even Gen 1. Asus guy, elmor, indicated many devices will handle up to 120mhz on Gen 3. For the ASUS Crosshair 6 Hero it will automatically go to Gen 2 at ~104.7mhz and Gen 1 further along. You can still forced Gen 3 if you go above 104.7mhz by selecting Gen 3 in the bios for the port. Now if you have a pcie SSD, it would suck if it got corrupted by going to high on the BCLK.

I can't recall a CPU that so consistently hits a wall at specific clocks, which in this case is 4Ghz.

I'm guessing you never went for that mythical 4ghz pentium wall with Conroe, or as we used to effectionally refer to it, ConHot.

(Never mind out the clock clock adjustment thing, I figured it out I think.)

What is SOC and how would I know that I would need to increase the SOC voltage and not the Core Voltage to gain stability?

SOC voltage can help with memory stability, just dont push it beyond 1.2 volts and make sure you have the latest bios for your motherboard installed.

Ditto, I've oc'd around 15 83xx chips (my last one was about a year ago though), they act weird with LLC, I ended up on Medium quite a number of times. All yous out there have faith, someone will find out the magic, I bet these hit 4.5 in the next few months on water as things sort out.

BCLK on RyZen if the motherboard supports it also affects the pcie speeds which means you could incur instability from pcie SSD's, graphics cards etc
it doesnt lock it to 100 like the 990 boards? that sucks! it more like ocing an intel or old amd than a fx then. I wonder if a bios update could add a pci-e speed lock...

it doesnt lock it to 100 like the 990 boards? that sucks! it more like ocing an intel or old amd than a fx then. I wonder if a bios update could add a pci-e speed lock...

Intel's had the base clock separate from memory and PCIe clocks since Skylake was introduced.

saw that a later revision on some boards would have it, can't remember which ones.

Extremely boring overclocking. Not the review, but the chip itself. Almost nothing to be gained from this overclock for gaming.

Summary:
Same on water and air. 4ghz ceiling.
Yea, I mean... I guess the consistency is reassuring in the sense that it means AMD did a good job of getting pretty much everything they could out of it in its current form. Still, The old days of overclocking come to mind. I remember buying my AXP 1700+ and being stoked it had a DLT3C stepping code. People were literally poring over week codes to try and figure out which were going to be the best clockers.... swapping motherboards to try and push it further. All pretty much gone at this point and this chip is just as lame if not worse as all the others out there right now... kinda like GP104 chips, they pretty much all do 2.0-2.1 with halfway decent cooling... nothing really matters.

So in other words, for once I should be glad to see my 1700X is etched with "MADE IN CHINA"? :D

Watched the vid on YouTube today while pretending to work. Great stuff.

However, I almost couldn't find it on you tube without some sort of dbag headshot and clickbait title....;)

Single rank, double rank? I haven't read these terms before. 2 sticks/four sticks?
:confused:

it has to do with the ram chips.. single rank is typically 8 chips vs double rank which is 16 chips.. here's an example from kingston with their DDR4 hyperX Fury single/double.

single rank:
HyperX HX421C14FB2/8 is a 1G x 64-bit (8GB) DDR4-2133 CL14 SDRAM (Synchronous DRAM) 1Rx8, memory module, based on eight 1G x 8-bit FBGA components per module.

dual(double) rank:
HyperX HX421C14FB/8 is a 1G x 64-bit (8GB) DDR4-2133 CL14 SDRAM (Synchronous DRAM) 2Rx8, memory module, based on sixteen 512M x 8-bit FBGA components per module.

also if you notice the 2 bolded parts of the text(first number and letter is the important part), that's how you're able to tell which is single and which is double without it saying it in the name. they should be on the identification sticker but sometimes aren't shown in product image stickers so always check the manufacture spec sheets first.

3.842MHz huh? Well it could almost compete with the 8088. :)

Thanks for the review.

Note: You always say reading is fundamental - see some of us do pay attention!

Last edited:
You haven't heard?
Arctic Silver Graffiti! It is all the rage with the kids!
New Sharpie markers actually use carbon nanotubes in the ink, that's why they're able to achieve a deeper black than any other marker. Also, and more importantly, carbon nanotubes have been found to be the best thermal interface material currently. (sources: 1, 2, 3)

Fooled you all, didn't I?? But srsly, that's all true except or the Shapie marker part, the sources are legit. lol

My 1700 finally shipped and should be here in a few days. Always awesome to see my stuff in the waiting for 2 weeks with a 4 week ship time when its all in stock ... /sigh lol

I'm tempted to get one just for kicks. I might even end up replacing my 6800K with it.

Thank you for the work, Kyle. Missed the initial post of the yesterday with my "all in or refund" sprint on Andromeda. Played the entire 14 hours on my 1700 @ 3.8 with voltage at 1.275V and temps never exceeded 52C using the included spire (because my AM4 bracket still isn't here for my H100i). After seeing the water cooler making no diff on OC, I'm going to have to give some serious thought to how I want to rebuild the VR PC this year and if I want to water cool it at all. Going to tinker this week to see if 2+2 performs differently from 4+0, to see if it would make any difference to use Ravenridge over a 1500X.

my 1700 (non X) does 3.9 just using the Asus oc tool. Memory is at 2933. Voltage never goes above 1.39 - On air under load (x264/wprime/occt - gaming for extended periods :) ) - it gets to 74C on H60 AIO it gets to 69c. That is using the paste on the AIO - planning on using Cool Labs so probably better temps - but over all the chip has been great.

Any thoughts of trying the same CPUs in a different motherboard to see if stable OC's vary by board with the exact same chip?

Reading on mobile, so please excuse if i missed a mention to that already.

We will find that out anyway. As we review motherboards the same CPUs will get used over and over again. That's how we know Kaby Lake is pretty much the same on every Z270 motherboard.

Back