AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Retail CPU Overclocking X 2 @ [H]

I ready for a Ryzen move but waiting on a bit more maturity for the platform. Also, if the rumors are true ... a monster 16 core 32 thread HEDT Ryzen cpu, then that's something I def want to wait on.

And while 24 months may seem like a long wait, the Zen 2 Ryzen @ 7nm in 2019 will definitely be something I move to.

I'll be getting the rest of my system in tomorrow but I'll be using a b350 Prime in the mean time until there are better boards. I'll get to see how well this 1700 oc's on that but probably back it down until I get a x370.

Well, I have 3.8 Ghz on my 1700 and 1700X and they are both quite fast. Once thing I noticed though is, if you run Malwarebytes in the background and turn on that anti crypto stuff, it will slow you machine down badly, just like in the days of the old 2006 or 7 Norton Internet Security. Yes, that bad and I was trying to figure out why my system was suddenly slow, I even reset my bios and thought it might be a hardware issue.

My 1700 (asus B350 prime) is prime 95 stable (12 hours) @ 1.41, 4ghz. I do hate that program. 80 degs peak on a D15 with liquid metal!

I will measure wattage delta over the weekend. It can make 4.1 and boot to 4.2 but the voltage to get it stable would probably be hilarious.

Last edited:
Running 3.8ghz with 1.168v STABLE on a 1700..

Sold my hot and loud 1700x what will do 3.8ghz at almost 1.4v.

that can't be 1.16 all the time?? LLC does the volts up with higher cpu usage?

It flips as low as 1.14v then to 1.188v Bios voltage is 1.056v. This CPU is pulling an average of 91w from the CPU socket according to HWinfo. I didn't even go for higher yet because I am waiting for the shutdown brick feature to be fixed on the Aorus Gaming 5. The highest constant load voltage I saw was 1.177v. If the load is bouncing it will overshoot a little more.

Thats gotta be a golden chip.

Lucky SOB.

I have had many many intel chips. I had one 2500k that did 4.6ghz at 1.15v. Ivybridge, SB-E, Haswell, and Broadwell I had nothing but duds that could barely even hit 4.2ghz @ 1.3v. I did indeed get lucky perhaps, maybe well deserved since I did dish out for a 1700x the first time :p.

It flips as low as 1.14v then to 1.188v Bios voltage is 1.056v. This CPU is pulling an average of 91w from the CPU socket according to HWinfo. I didn't even go for higher yet because I am waiting for the shutdown brick feature to be fixed on the Aorus Gaming 5. The highest constant load voltage I saw was 1.177v. If the load is bouncing it will overshoot a little more.

Man at stock my chip read around 1.24 v However as I went to try out higher speeds the chip wanted a ton of voltage to be stable and could only reach 3.9 at 1.43 volts, I was trying to hit 4 but was not worth all the extra voltage. You got one hell of a chip if that trend continues as you push higher with it. Like I said I was first thinking I would be doing well and instead I hit a wall fast. I am good with that tho as you can never expect a overclock, you just get what you get. At 3.9 it's freaking fast anyway and does what I want so that is what matters. When your motherboard bios is fixed I will be curious to see how far you can get with it.

Thats impressive for a $330 CPU, it kind of makes the 1700x a waste of time really. I am running mine at 3.4ghz with no issues using the standard wraith cooler. Its rock solid and a nice boost over 3ghz with no extra cooler outlay.

I have a feeling 3.9+ ghz it will hit a wall and require substantial voltage increase for stability. Once you hit 1.35v the chip starts to run roasty.

I really couldn't be happier now though with the results. Last night gaming was perfectly stable 3.8ghz on all cores and the 1080ti was keeping a consistent 60fps @ 4k.

Last edited:
I'm at 3.98GHz, 1.3825v stable on my 1700, using the stock AMD HSF. 4.0GHz works (boots, runs light loads, even at this voltage, but the little AMD HSF cannot quite contain the heat at that clock rate.

Now I'd like to see a review of best-bang-for-the-buck cooling for Ryzen, since even a crazy custom loop doesn't seem to be able to get the chip past 4GHz stable, maybe there's a optimal amount of money to spend to get the chip stable at 3.9-4GHz, and likely, there will be an air and an AIO cooler that represents the best price for the max Ryzen performance we can realistically obtain.

I bought an Arctic Liquid Freezer 120 for $74 and it is working great. They shipped me my AM4 retention ring last week and I received it a couple days later. Keeps my CPU 20+ C cooler than the stock cooler and let me push past 3.7 GHz to 4.0. I'll post my OC results shortly so you can see the exact numbers.

I use a 60 dollar Corsair h60. Works like a champ.
I had an H55 on my old rig and the pump died after 2 years. Replaced with a Cooler Master Hyper D92 for no-nonsense.

However, I do like AIO coolers, mostly because the air coolers are way too big for my taste, so I bought a H110 for my Ryzen build. So far it's been great, getting around 55C idle in Ryzen Master (I think this is really 35C, though because of the offset).

That's what I like to hear!
I'm planning on getting a 1700 for my PLEX/media server that I have a H60 on right now paired with a PII 975BE.
I had been wondering if that little bastard had enough balls to keep Ryzen cool.
Are you running push-pull or single fan?

Here are my overclocking results (sorry for the large post). I used Ryzen Master for OC settings and HWInfo for monitoring. Primary purpose of my machine for Video Encoding, so my standard stress test is re-encoding a Blu-Ray rip with Handbrake, CQ16, Medium Optimization. This test pegs all cpus at 100% and runs for 60-80 mins.

Stock:
3.0 GHz @ stock
1067 MHz RAM
Max CPU Power: 81 watts
Max Temp Wraith Cooler: 58.0 C
Max Temp Arctic Liquid 120: 45.5 C
Handbrake Re-encode Test: 37.1 fps

3.6/2133:
3.6 GHz @ 1.1875v
1067 MHz RAM
Max CPU Power: 93 watts
Max Temp Wraith Cooler: 68.3 C
Max Temp Arctic Liquid 120: 49.8 C
Handbrake Re-encode Test: 40.84 fps

3.6/2400:
3.6 GHz @ 1.1875v
1200 MHz RAM
Max CPU Power: 95 watts
Max Temp Wraith Cooler: 68.8 C
Max Temp Arctic Liquid 120: 50.0 C
Handbrake Re-encode Test: 41.55 fps

3.7/2400:
3.7 GHz @ 1.2v
1200 MHz RAM
Max CPU Power: 99 watts
Max Temp Wraith Cooler: 72.5 C
Max Temp Arctic Liquid 120: 49.9 C
Handbrake Re-encode Test: 42.08 fps

3.8/2400:
3.8 GHz @ 1.325v
1200 MHz RAM
Max CPU Power: 124 watts
Max Temp Wraith Cooler: NA
Max Temp Arctic Liquid 120: 59.3 C
Handbrake Re-encode Test: 43.5 fps

3.9/2400:
3.9 GHz @ 1.325v
1200 MHz RAM
Max CPU Power: 127 watts
Max Temp Arctic Liquid 120: 60.8 C
Handbrake Re-encode Test: 45.7 fps

4.0/2400:
4.0 GHz @ 1.425v
1200 MHz RAM
Max CPU Power: 157 watts
Max Temp Arctic Liquid 120: 68.8 C
Handbrake Re-encode Test: 46.8 fps

Last edited:
That's what I like to hear!
I'm planning on getting a 1700 for my PLEX/media server that I have a H60 on right now paired with a PII 975BE.
I had been wondering if that little bastard had enough balls to keep Ryzen cool.
Are you running push-pull or single fan?

single fan nzxt 340 case - works great...overwatch for two hours - never got above 56
x264 encoding stress test never gets above 65

Keep in mind - my 212 evo - even wtih that kept it at 80 for x264 stress testing...I don't think heat is the enemy of this chip - seems like the 1700s (non x) can all hit 3.8.-4.0 range which I think appears to be the range of the x chips too Really happy with the performance and 8 cores...

single fan nzxt 340 case - works great...overwatch for two hours - never got above 56
x264 encoding stress test never gets above 65

Keep in mind - my 212 evo - even wtih that kept it at 80 for x264 stress testing...I don't think heat is the enemy of this chip - seems like the 1700s (non x) can all hit 3.8.-4.0 range which I think appears to be the range of the x chips too Really happy with the performance and 8 cores...

Sounds great. I won't be gaming on it, but I will be running Handbrake everyday doing 8k-10k kbs 2pass MKV encodes and Plex, some Mediacoder, MKVMerge, Utorrent ect.
So thanks for the baseline since It will be at 100% load for days on end.

the h60 should handle it no problem (I did use liquid cool ultra so that might have skewed my temps lower) gl!

I am not much of an overclocker, always prefer to leave things at stock (afraid I would screw something up)

But, I did pick up a 1700 and have it manually set to 3600 in the Bios (ASRock Fatality B350) at stock Voltage
on the Wraith spire cooler.

Is that enough to keep it in check and running without issue?

I do some VM Work, Office, Video encoding, World of Warcraft, etc...

Thanks!

I am not much of an overclocker, always prefer to leave things at stock (afraid I would screw something up)

But, I did pick up a 1700 and have it manually set to 3600 in the Bios (ASRock Fatality B350) at stock Voltage

Thanks!

Yes, that is exactly where mine settled in with the stock cooler and stock voltage. To go higher I had to bump the voltage to 1.2.

This doesn't surprise me. I'm running a triple radiator on my test bench and it's WAY overkill on Ryzen. That same setup sometimes feels like it's borderline for the 7700K at 5.0GHz or a 5960X at 4.5GHz.

Yes, I had a 240 AIO on my 7700K and it would hit 80 on stock under load. I delidded it and used the cool labs liquid metal stuff and now I hit 4.9 on stock and runs mid 60's under load...Heat was never an issue with my Ryzen 1700...even on the evo212.

My 1700X is stable at 3.9 at 1.43 volts so it looks like your 1700 non x chips are right there. Man does the chip fly at this speed so I am not worried about not quite hitting 4 ghz. Best part is Fallout 4 used to stutter on me with my old 8350 even at 4.7 ghz and now no stutter so I am quite happy with that. I went with double rank memory tho so right now I am at 2666 speeds and I hope to get to 3200 eventually down the line as they tweak the bios.

My 1700x OC to 3.9 stable at 1.37v and 4.0 stable has to jump to 1.39-1.41v with pos offset. I like offset because it allows the chip to volt throttle saving power and unnecessary thermal load.

Thanks!

Should be. Most can hit 3.7-3.8 at maybe slightly higher voltage on the spire. Mine will do [email protected] with max temp 72c all cores loaded up with the spire. Makes for a pretty blazing fast system for the price.

I have my 1700 stable at 4.1Ghz on Water: Cooler Master AM4 compatible 240
1.425 V Core
MSI B350 Tomahawk Beta BIOS version 1.32
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB 3200 Mhz (running at 3200)
1080 Ti Founders
1 TB Mushkin SSD
500 GB WD Enterprise (Swap Drive)
Windows 10 x64

The system is insanely fast, everything I throw at it runs smoothly at 4K resolution. I don't typically play anything at less than 4K
-It absolutely destroys my old 4790K Devils Canyon that I was running at 4.5 Ghz, it bests it in everything. SO, massive upgrade for me.
-They pulled the beta BIOS section at MSI's website because some people were bricking their boards. My buddie bricked his flashing to 1.32. I guess I was lucky. Version 1.2 is the only available BIOS now.

Installed my Ryzen 1700 kit yesterday. I've got it at 3.8GHz on 1.325v and frankly haven't played with it much to see if I can get the voltage even lower. But it's passed all of the stress testing I've thrown at it so far.

I played with 4GHz around 1.4v but it wasn't stable and considering how much more voltage it's gonna take to get the extra 200MHz, I don't know that I really care.

I'm also running a B350M Mortar and with BIOS 1.1 I've got my 3600MHz Trident Z running at 3200 14/14/14/34 and I didn't even have to try.

Awesome, awesome system so far.

Installed my Ryzen 1700 kit yesterday. I've got it at 3.8GHz on 1.325v and frankly haven't played with it much to see if I can get the voltage even lower. But it's passed all of the stress testing I've thrown at it so far.

I played with 4GHz around 1.4v but it wasn't stable and considering how much more voltage it's gonna take to get the extra 200MHz, I don't know that I really care.

I'm also running a B350M Mortar and with BIOS 1.1 I've got my 3600MHz Trident Z running at 3200 14/14/14/34 and I didn't even have to try.

Awesome, awesome system so far.
You are seeing what I am seeing. 3.8Ghz with 3200MHz RAM and stable across all cores is surely doable at 1.35v on some of mine. Those last 200MHz are costly. :)

Can some more [H] testing be done now that AMD's updated the BIOS to be much more overclocking and RAM friendly? Supposedly you might be able to get the DDR4 to 4000.
That has not happened on my test bench yet. We have had Ryzen systems running and testing here continually. New one on today.

9943 and 9945 on the CH6 are actually stepping back for me, as I cannot even boot at all with those 2 bioses.

It is still a clusterfuck. Make sure you buy RAM on the QVL list for your motherboard.

I would wait for official releases at this point, I dont feel like causing issues my self.

Here's the problem. I paid $180 for 2x16 TridentZ 3200 (either hynix or Samsung e-die, nobody seems to know) first week of March. That RAM is now $280. I got it to 2666.

2x8 FlareX 3200 is $180. It would cost me $360 to get 32GB of RAM and it might not even work at rated speeds with 4 dimms populated.
And?

Back