AMD Ryzen 1700 CPU vs 1700X CPU Review @ [H]

Frametime variance stems from clock difference. If you run that 7700K at the clock of 2600K they will almost be identical.

I was just wondering if you are still getting some Btostar Motherboards to test Kyle. I am really interested in the Biostar X370GT3 if they ever release it. I have yet to see any other micro atx motherboards that interest me at all.

I was just wondering if you are still getting some Btostar Motherboards to test Kyle. I am really interested in the Biostar X370GT3 if they ever release it. I have yet to see any other micro atx motherboards that interest me at all.

That's the only x370 matx board I've seen. Is there any release date yet? I'm tempted to cancel my asus b350m-a and wait for that.

When viewing Kyle's Ryzen 1700 video, I noticed his damaged thumbnail..

kyle_finger_1.jpg

But when I decided to do some CSI style "zoom and enhance", this is what I found..

Kyle_finger_3.jpg

Apparently Kyle "ryzen" up to the occasion!!

lol, I had a celeron 333 mhz chip and it would oc to damn near 500 mhz. Remember the "fiasco" during the athlon xp days when they were selling 1800+ B core chips (the same cores used for 2400+'s and up I believe it was) for like 120$? Haha, AMD caught on to that shit real fast because people noticed the serial number differences and started buying the shit out of them, then just doing some slight tweaking in the bios you had a 2600+ for a third, if not lower, of the price.

Great review though and its good the see AMD getting some of the spotlight again.
Dual Celeron 333 @ 550 on a BP6!! The Dayz!
Truth be told they were rarely stable @550, but that was the dream. Usually had the @ 476???? Been too long.
I also mostly ran Win98SE so the second core was useless. But I has HARD[OCP] to the bone!!!!! Hehe LOL!

Okay I am confused.
Unlocked? "X"?
Special boards that block locks?
Anyways buds WTF!??

Okay I am confused.
Unlocked? "X"?
Special boards that block locks?
Anyways buds WTF!??
X = better XFR.
B350,x300,X370 chipsets can overclock.
Nothing special here, this is AMD and not Intel :) no need for Z chipset and K sku's.

Dot see how that matters much, the wall is pretty set at 3.9-4.0GHz, 4.0-4.1GHz is you get lucky with the silicon lottery.
Asus B350 seems to do the tricks too... it does for me and those are 90$ boards

Dot see how that matters much, the wall is pretty set at 3.9-4.0GHz, 4.0-4.1GHz is you get lucky with the silicon lottery.
Depends, I'll wait to see if the sub $200 boards are just as good at OCing reliably before I purchase. The Prime Pro for example seems like a real winner.

Depends, I'll wait to see if the sub $200 boards are just as good at OCing reliably before I purchase. The Prime Pro for example seems like a real winner.

My 1700 is in very very small m-atx form factor so my cooling is limited but 3.9 is stable on B350M-A with low profile cooler, the wraith spire was too tall :p, however get some ram heatsink and stick it on the vrm as it did not have coolers for it.

My 1700 is in very very small m-atx form factor so my cooling is limited but 3.9 is stable on B350M-A with low profile cooler, the wraith spire was too tall :p, however get some ram heatsink and stick it on the vrm as it did not have coolers for it.
I'm not interested in the B350 chipset, although it does seem to be a great price/performance product.

Looks like the same extrusion die intel used on their P4 and some core era coolers..

Lets be honest here, every B350 board out there right now has the minimum vrm circuits that the cpu needs with out heatsinks. That would be okay if you are building a computer to do basic internet surfing and movie watching. But at last no, that is not why you built the system. You built the system to game, encode, run a bunch of vpn, or any other thing to max out the cpu, so 6 months down the road you end up frying the motherboard or even your cpu because the motherboard manufacturers couldn't be bothered with making a decent board right from the get go. So then you are fighting with them to get your stuff replaced because of their incompetence.

Dual Celeron 333 @ 550 on a BP6!! The Dayz!
Truth be told they were rarely stable @550, but that was the dream. Usually had the @ 476???? Been too long.
I also mostly ran Win98SE so the second core was useless. But I has HARD[OCP] to the bone!!!!! Hehe LOL!

lol, SO HARDCORE! Man, the good ol days!

Lets be honest here, every B350 board out there right now has the minimum vrm circuits that the cpu needs with out heatsinks. That would be okay if you are building a computer to do basic internet surfing and movie watching. But at last no, that is not why you built the system. You built the system to game, encode, run a bunch of vpn, or any other thing to max out the cpu, so 6 months down the road you end up frying the motherboard or even your cpu because the motherboard manufacturers couldn't be bothered with making a decent board right from the get go. So then you are fighting with them to get your stuff replaced because of their incompetence.

I'm not sure just counting the number of MOSFETS is the end-all be-all of quality

We were running some pretty toasty P4s and FX chips back in the day on boards that had maybe 3 or 4 phases and it didn't seem to be a big deal back then.

I think the manufacturer marketing has been looking for ways to get us to pay more.

Which B350 mobo did you use? What OC and what VRM temps?
< $400 ($279 1700 + < $100 mobo) sounds Godlike to me :)

Bonus cheap bastard points if you stick with the included Wraith HSF :p

Do the 1700, 1700x, and 1800x all come with Heatsinks? All different?

Asus B350M-A (m-atx)

Some photos of it, was also useful to lap the scythe cooler :)
Those who like cable management, tidy and clean computers I ain't promising a pretty setup :)

Lapped cooler, I got tired so left out the last 2% :)
lapping.jpg

No vrm on mobo:
novrm.jpg

Bet Asus likes Gigabyte VRM Cooler on their board, and yes the other vrm's got their heatsinks too..
vrm.jpg

Complete system
comp.jpg

I run 1.2V 3.6 ghz, 63.5-64.25C at (50% fan duty for a noctua low profile 90mm fan on shuriken 2.)
If the 1.2V is to be trusted I don't know.
I can still touch the VRM's with cooling removed - Just tested

1.25 at 3.7 ghz and 1.3 for 3.8 temps at those speeds I have no clue, didn't have any measuring software until recently when I got Ryzen master to work in Windows.
at 3.7 and 3.8 it may not be 24/7 stable, it is not my requirement but it playd games, stress tests for 10 mins without going above 75C
And I'm quite happy at 3.6 as it's still quiet unless 8 core load.

ryzenstress.JPG

Last edited:

Why isn't this going viral? This set-up at those ridiculously cheap prices are freaking stunning! STUNNING!

[H] where is the enthusiasm? 8/[email protected] is mind blowing for $400 for both the cpu and mb!!!!!!!!!

This is a big freaking deal people............

Why isn't this going viral? This set-up at those ridiculously cheap prices are freaking stunning! STUNNING!

[H] where is the enthusiasm? 8/[email protected] is mind blowing for $400 for both the cpu and mb!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, it is a damn shame we have given it zero coverage.

How is the Wraith Spire?
I can't fit that "big" cpu cooler :)
Looking OK-ish. Just found the ceiling of stable with it and the retail 1700. Need to run water next and figure out if it is the CPU or the cooler holding it back.

So I went back and forth over the best upgrade I could get for under $600. replace 4790k, 32GB DDR3 Ram, mobo, 1080 with

7700K setup
Ryzen setup
1080ti

I almost went Ryzen so many times (lots of builds on amazon, newegg, microcenter carts) just because it would have been fun building a system and setting up that CPU.

I went 1080 SLI - non of the choices I thought about for a week. I figure sli works in the two stress games I have at the moment (Watch Dogs 2 and Ghost Recon:Wildlands) so I'd get the best performance increase for the money (@3440x1440).

Why am I sharing this on a Ryzen thread? I had a cart full of Ryzen about 15 times! I just knew for my needs it would be a side grade :(

Ryzen refresh/Zen2 - can't wait.

I would hold on as well, but to think an 8/16 Ryzen is a side grade is illogical.

By [H] I mean forum members. That $400 combo (cpu/mb) is hands down the best value/performer maybe ever.....

No, It's the best deal since 2500,2600K and prior to that I can't really decide if 920 was overpriced or not, prior to that it must be Toledo 939 or so. and so on.

But we have all the reason to be excited, this cpu will cause a shift in end user desktop market for sure!, just like the AMD x2's, the Core I7 920 - > 2500/2600

A bunch of us are waiting for our motherboards to ship! Kinda kills the buzz when you pre-order and the shit doesn't ship on release day (or even a week later).

I know the feeling, have the cpu, ram, ssd, power supply, and case, where are the motherboards? I cannot believe we are still waiting on initial release motherboards a week later.

All interesting. Time will tell if/when MS patches Win10 SMT scheduler.... right now I have 6600k @ 4.4 and GTX 1070 so I should be good for another 6 months +

This stock Wraith LED cooler with the 1700 just ain't got the stuff we need. :(

Ahh ok, didnt realize they both had the wraith label, thanks.

All have "Wraith" name.
Currently it's looking like this:

1700X and 1800X is supposed to be boxed fan eventually,
Wraith MAX (130W TDP - Supplied on 95W cpu's and up)
Wraith Spire (1700, supplied on 65W and up)
wraith stealth (Supplied on 65W and less)

No, It's the best deal since 2500,2600K and prior to that I can't really decide if 920 was overpriced or not, prior to that it must be Toledo 939 or so. and so on.

But we have all the reason to be excited, this cpu will cause a shift in end user desktop market for sure!, just like the AMD x2's, the Core I7 920 - > 2500/2600

Lol, went from an Opteron 180 (replacing a 3200+), to a i7 930 - and... yeah, still with the 930. :) still wanting to see what the future holds for the 1700 vs the 7700k - I'd love to go back to AMD but need more reviews..and waiting to see what Vega does to the GPU market

Back