AMD Ryzen 1700 CPU vs 1700X CPU Review @ [H]

Does it do at least 3.8 Ghz at decent voltages? What about the Hyper 212 Evo that I already have? Not talking extreme overclocking but, I would like to get the 1700 I will buy tomorrow at least to 3.8 Ghz.
Not in the cards with my retail CPU and the Wraith LED.

Does it do at least 3.8 Ghz at decent voltages? What about the Hyper 212 Evo that I already have? Not talking extreme overclocking but, I would like to get the 1700 I will buy tomorrow at least to 3.8 Ghz.
3.8 on decent voltage sure, on wraith... remains to be seen!

out of reach on my sample as well, did yours reach 3.7?
Out of reach, with wraith ? or 3rd party cooler ?
I didn't think my shuriken would be a lot better than a the wraith spire. temp at 1.2v 3.6ghz 8 core load?

3.8 on decent voltage sure, on wraith... remains to be seen!

Out of reach, with wraith ? or 3rd party cooler ?
I didn't think my shuriken would be a lot better than a the wraith spire. temp at 1.2v 3.6ghz 8 core load?
out of reach on the Wraith. I was seeing 64C at 1.1625V, albeit with pretty chilly 20C ambient temps

Last edited:
I wish they would get off their asses with Vega. That's far more important to me than an equal-performance CPU. I'm about to say fuck the Vega and AMD Freesync and go with a 1080ti.

I wish they would get off their asses with Vega. That's far more important to me than an equal-performance CPU. I'm about to say fuck the Vega and AMD Freesync and go with a 1080ti.

Correct me if I am wrong, I don't keep up with Vega rumors at all; but does it not look like everything we've seen about Vega feel it's not meant to be a mainstream product?

I'm getting a feeling that AMD is doing with Vega what they did with Ryzen; which is make a neutered product based on a non-mainstream product. I think we can safely expect some pretty glaring issues when Vega hits; AMDs track record is nothing if not predictable in this sense.

Ryzen IMO was nothing like previous Radeon releases. Vega appears to be irrelevant since this 1080ti release. The CPU division appears to have a much better future than the GPU division which is what AMD is about anyways. They need to just continue making good CPUs and get rid of ATI.

I have a 1700x and 1700 with Spire cooler we will see which one goes higher I guess. :) I'm probably never going to use the Spire cooler though.

No, It's the best deal since 2500,2600K and prior to that I can't really decide if 920 was overpriced or not, prior to that it must be Toledo 939 or so. and so on.

But we have all the reason to be excited, this cpu will cause a shift in end user desktop market for sure!, just like the AMD x2's, the Core I7 920 - > 2500/2600

The best price to performance combo ever was a Celeron A 300 or 366 (the 366 had to be the socket 370 variety) mated to a VIA pro 133a board (or a good priced 440BX). $100 CPU's with $80-$100 boards that would even at default clocks give their brothers a hard time. Almost all 300's ran at 450 and the Costa Rican 366's ran easily at 550. Making it faster than the fastest PII or Pentium III at the time. It's been a really long time since bargain basement pricing has not only been competitive but with overclocking easily better in every single task given to it to any other takers. As it is since there have been some great deals, or times where spending a bit and getting a good deal was worth it like Toledo, any one who purchased a normal Althon64 or P4 during this time either regretted it or stuck their heads in the sand. It gave AMD the confidence to price their CPU's on the high end of pricing, but they were worth every penny. Nahelem is another close call but I err on the side of the 2500k on that one.

^ I vividly remember getting reamed buying a Pentium II 400 close to launch.
It would not OC for sh*t - a Pentium II 333 worked out about the same at significantly less $$$.
Then the 300A came out a few months later *fml*

Only the 1700. The 1700x & 1800x don't come with one.
Sorry to say, but there are Ryzen 1700X and 1800X which come boxed with Wraith Max coolers. (Not the Wraith Spire coolers as with the Ryzen 1700.)
SKU: YD170XBCAEMPK - Ryzen 1700X Wraith Max boxed
SKU: YD180XBCAEMPK - Ryzen 1800X Wraith Max boxed

Sorry to say, but there are Ryzen 1700X and 1800X which come boxed with Wraith Max coolers. (Not the Wraith Spire coolers as with the Ryzen 1700.)
I don't think those sku are available for purchase yet.

Its the pro's that come with a cooler, the X ones comes with no cooler, I know since I have a 1700X.

Last edited:
Now I just need a Gigabyte K7 to pair up with the 1700 sitting on the desk mocking me...

Kyle was saying the stock cooler was no for good over overclocking on the 1700, I have the cooler in hand it is nothing special besides the copper slug on the bottom is completely flat just like the Ryzen heat spreader for excellent contact, but it is after all just a copper base aluminium fin cooler, heat pipes and more will give you better cooling, I'm hoping a TEC Hybrid cooler like the coolermaster V10 becomes available for the AM4 socket soon as I doubt my masterliquid 120 is up to the task of how hot them Ryzens can get when you start overclocking (I got the masterliquid because it was literally the only cooler I could get with a AM4 bracket in the box, hopefully it can preform)

Now I just need a Gigabyte K7 to pair up with the 1700 sitting on the desk mocking me...

I hear ya man, my 1700 came in yesterday but the MOBD is still barely moving as far as shipping goes, hopefully by Friday I will have it

You guys are making my head hurt.
It's time for my 2600k to have a rest, and was thinking about the 7700k since there are no other options. Or should I say were no other options.
Now I'm suspicious of 3 differently priced cpu's that act virtually the same.
Then there's the delidding and relidding issues.
Also, can't think of any reason for 8 cores with 16 threads. What the hell are you guys building?
My 2600k will have to work into old age waiting for the 4 and 6 cores to come along.
Decisions decisions.
Too many choices.
But I do like the idea of a cheap cpu and cheap board and clocking the shit out of them.

I'm with you...waiting for the 6 cores. I'm not jumping in on the 8 cores until later steppings can improve 1080 performance to match my 1080p 144hz monitors.

Last edited:

After reading that article and reminding me of the good old pencil trick, I remember using the pencil trick on my Athlon XP 3200+ to unlock the FSB to get a over clock of just under 3GHz, i remember playing Doom 3 on high setting with that CPU and a ATI 9800 PRO overclocked to near XT settings.... the good old days... sorry to get off topic just brought back a bunch of memories

Yep, R5 is what I want and hopefully x370 mobos will be in stock by then. I'd rather get a nice AM4 mobo now with a cheaper CPU until better revisions are out in a year or two for the 8 core Ryzen. I like the idea of AM4 being around until 2020.

I will get an r7 1700 later when itx mobos are out for my Plex/game server.

Has anybody get anywhere with overclocking the Ryzen 1700 using the wraith cooler ? if so what was the highest stable speed ? Thanks

Also, can't think of any reason for 8 cores with 16 threads. What the hell are you guys building?

My interest in Ryzen is almost solely driven by productivity gains. I am a graphic designer and UI developer, so I run VMs a lot, Adobe sh*t a lot, do a fair amount of video encoding, and do music production (mostly for fun). A lot of that work likes the extra cores. Video encoding is an easy one. When running VMs for local test servers... extra cores are great. Some of the Adobe sh*t like cores. For music production, stacking VSTs eats threads like nothing else. 8 cores/16 threads on the cheap is pretty tempting for all that.

Of course, I game too. So it's disappointing I basically have to pick one or the other (or pay Intel a LOT of extra money for both). But of the two... my job is more important than a few FPS, and I can compensate somewhat by going with a beefier GPU anyway. The low cost of Ryzen leaves some wiggle room there.

Don't underestimate the awesome utility of having 8 cores available for sh*t. It's useless for straight up gamers, but it's great for mixed-use folks.

It's funny, 'cause most of y'all are talking about the Ryzen 5, and I've zero interest in that. I want cores. As many as I can get for cheap.

I'm with the burger man on this one; I'm gaming on a 6600k that works just fine for what I play. The 1700 doesnt give up anything in regard to that for gaming but provides a lot of headroom for other functionality (and I get to mess around with something new :) ).

Maybe Kyle got a dud. I'm running 1700 at 3.8Ghz at 1.24V on Wraith and it seems stable so far.
Which motherboard are you using? Could be a difference between mobos/bios versions, rather than the CPUs themselves, too.

Has anybody get anywhere with overclocking the Ryzen 1700 using the wraith cooler ? if so what was the highest stable speed ? Thanks

I'm going to give a try today, I bumped it to 3.3ghz and loaded it up and temps were in the 40's so looks like lots of headroom above that.

I'm going to give a try today, I bumped it to 3.3ghz and loaded it up and temps were in the 40's so looks like lots of headroom above that.
I am just waiting for my RAM, got the CPU and mobo so far. Let me know how you get on.

I am just waiting for my RAM, got the CPU and mobo so far. Let me know how you get on.

Well, I played around with the Asus AI utility and bumped it up to 3.8ghz at 1.3375v and ran a few games, then ran the cpu-z stress test for 20 minutes or so as none of the games stressed it enough to get the temps up. After 5 minutes or so temps went to 70C and then gradually creeped up and stabilized around 75C and stayed that way until I shut it off 10 minutes later. That's likely the highest load this system will see for an extended period of time, and probably the limit I'd want to take it to temp wise. More than I expected with stock cooling and probably indicates I could get a fair amount more with an AIO, but I'm going to back it down to 3.6 and call it good for now and start playing with memory timing.

Here's the bench at that speed:
http://valid.x86.fr/0v9bdq

Well, I played around with the Asus AI utility and bumped it up to 3.8ghz at 1.3375v and ran a few games, then ran the cpu-z stress test for 20 minutes or so as none of the games stressed it enough to get the temps up. After 5 minutes or so temps went to 70C and then gradually creeped up and stabilized around 75C and stayed that way until I shut it off 10 minutes later. That's likely the highest load this system will see for an extended period of time, and probably the limit I'd want to take it to temp wise. More than I expected with stock cooling and probably indicates I could get a fair amount more with an AIO, but I'm going to back it down to 3.6 and call it good for now and start playing with memory timing.

Thats better than i thought you would get on the stock cooler. I will be setting mine up this weekend. Thanks for the update.

Well, I have got it up and running and all is well so far. I have tried to raise the memory speed from the default 2133 and it won't boot. I have 16gb Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 (2 x sticks). I am using ASUS Prime X370 Pro mobo with latest BIOS. The memory is on the mobo compatibility list but only as 2133mhz. Have I made the wrong choice with the memory ? or is there a way to crank it up ??

Back