amd rdna 5700 or

Discussion in 'AMD Flavor' started by fightingfi, Jun 13, 2019.

1. fightingfi

fightingfi Look at Me! I need the attention.

gotta 1070 gtx workds fine want to upgrade either amd 5700 or nvidia 2070 kinda early i know but thinking isnt teh 5700 more of a 2060 i dont want to spend 500 on teh xt version 449 whatever it is either so maybe go 2070 if nvidia drops prices? send your opinions in ........NOW

Pieter3dnow likes this.
  2. Alienslare

Alienslare Limp Gawd

The RTX2070 may still give you advantage on certain Ray tracing based titles.

5700xt gives you performance (minimal) somewhere on par and somewhere really good. If i were you i would still chose to have RTX2070

IdiotInCharge likes this.
  3. wantapple

wantapple Gawd

buy navi, raytracing is useless.

Ehren8879, dragonstongue and kirbyrj like this.
  4. luke51087

luke51087 2[H]4U

i would wait to see what that whole nvidia super rumors are about

Marees and fightingfi like this.
  5. SeymourGore

SeymourGore 2[H]4U

6. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

:ROFLMAO:

7. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

The 2080 is barely (and often not even) 60fps for RTX use in most titles.. 2070 for RT is like using a truck as a farm tractor. It'll work.. sometimes.. but definitely not be the best way to do it.

dragonstongue, kirbyrj and Marees like this.
  8. Algrim

Algrim [H]ard|Gawd

Do let us know when a better solution presents itself.

9. IdiotInCharge

60FPS for RT on a 2080 is better than 0FPS for RT on Navi ;)

wyqtor, DooKey, noko and 2 others like this.
  10. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger [H]ard as it Gets

Bwahaha HHahahahahahahahahaha!

DooKey and Maddness like this.
  11. Brian_B

Brian_B 2[H]4U

Not much of an upgrade.

Maybe “super” will offer something better. Based on what I see available today, go 2080/VII or better

12. Alienslare

Alienslare Limp Gawd

Yet its far more reliable then radeon as not being optimised for rtx titles.

13. Alienslare

Alienslare Limp Gawd

Rtx provides at least better ray tracing experience

14. Alienslare

Alienslare Limp Gawd

Super is still a myth

Brian_B likes this.
  15. Dermen

Dermen Limp Gawd

If it were me I would get a used 1080ti.

DF-1, OhSigmaChi, DrDoU and 2 others like this.
  16. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 50AE, while waiting for Navi 20...

noko and Maddness like this.
  17. Snowdog

Snowdog [H]ardForum Junkie

Confirmed by WhyCry @ Videocardz. He has a very good history of only Confirming things that go on to be true.

Though, it mainly just tightens up performance (10-15% for 2060 and 2070) vs Navi, at the same prices.

It looks like it would push them back into a dead heat with Navi, instead of Navi being about 10-15% ahead.

So you get very similar performance for similar price. But NVidia includes RT HW support.

IMO it's a challenging position for AMD unless they lower prices more.

DooKey, GoldenTiger and IdiotInCharge like this.
  18. Alienslare

Alienslare Limp Gawd

They would definitely go for the price drop technique.
    Nvidia has an advantage as its the key player in video games and technology implementation.
    Super is good to be true but nothing has been on screen lately either on computex nor e3.
    I want to know what did they refreshed and why and will super be a a pci express gen4 ready.

19. Snowdog

Snowdog [H]ardForum Junkie

I think it's fairly obvious that this refresh, is just a mild tweak to boost performance of existing product, specifically to counter the Navi launch.

It will have the same cards, same chips, etc, so it won't have PCIe 4 (not that it matters).

20. Alienslare

Alienslare Limp Gawd

Well lets just see. May be the super might be better then superman after all.

21. Marees

Marees n00b

If it were me, I would wait atleast for a year till Nvidia releases 7nm cards

Going by die size alone, it seems AMD has overpriced Navi cards by 100$
    Huge scope for price decrease

22. noko

noko [H]ardness Supreme

Wait for the reviews and also any info dealing with Nvidia refreshes and pricing is my take. You might be able to get a 2070 for less than $400 which will make it rather nice buy. Navi should have some secret sauce for performance increase over time with Wave 32 once programmed. That is not today and maybe for the next 6 months. If Navi OC like hell on average, drivers look to improving performance rapidly due to it being a new architecture after a few releases then Navi is probably a good buy. Besides if you really want RT, get a 2080 at least if not the super whatever that is for the few games that support it. Most will be playing games that will never have RT in them for this generation.

23. noko

noko [H]ardness Supreme

lol, now at the same time 99.9% of games have no RT and will never have RT for this generation. Something to consider.

24. kirbyrj

kirbyrj [H]ard as it Gets

I'd wait and see what the final shakeout is between the 5700 series and whatever Nvidia's "super" cards look like before I bought anything at this point (unless you're going to buy a used 1080Ti...$460 shipped or so refurbished from Zotac in the Hot Deals section...just saying).

Sure some (IdiotInCharge) can make an argument for RTX, but the reality is there is only a handful of titles that support it. It might be the future, but the future is definitely not now. And I would argue that if you're buying an RTX card for next years titles (e.g. Cyberpunk), you should wait and see what cards are available then. I'm not jumping on the RTX (or AMD equivalent at some point) bandwagon until there's a compelling library of games that support it and adequate performance doesn't require a $1000 investment. Right now that isn't the case.

25. compgeek89

compgeek89 Limp Gawd

Beyond that, this is just one of the most underwhelming generations to upgrade to. Let's hope AMD/NV decide to provide something compelling in the next round. I'd keep the 1070 for now.

tygeezy, OhSigmaChi, anthrex and 4 others like this.
  26. Pieter3dnow

Pieter3dnow [H]ardness Supreme

No change of that either. There both going to milk this until Intel comes along.
    And when Intel comes there is no guarantee that they won't just join with the same agenda (sell higher priced gpu, if the cpu market is anything to go by).

27. sleepybp

sleepybp Limp Gawd

Agree that these prices are BS for both rdna 5700 and Nvidia Turing.
    Used GPU is the way to go until Nvidia/AMD get the message that their pricing is not appreciated.

$500 1080ti on ebay will crush both the 2070 and the 5700
    I bought my 1080ti used for $500 and would rather roll the dice on a bad card than support these current prices.
    True story, I actually had a bad lightning storm kill my used 1080ti, shipped it to gigabyte and they fixed it based off the serial# and 3 year automatic warranty- no receipt req'd

Marees and Maddness like this.
  28. sleepybp

sleepybp Limp Gawd

I had to like your post here simply for the IdiotInCharge reference. Me thinks he may be upset because his Intel and Nvidia stock will be taking serious beating next few years

N4CR likes this.
  29. DooKey

DooKey [H]ardness Supreme

We still have NV 7nm to look forward to. I wouldn't write things off yet. AMD blew their wad on 7nm.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  30. DooKey

DooKey [H]ardness Supreme

I bet you didn't tell them a lightning storm killed it.

DrDoU likes this.
  31. sleepybp

sleepybp Limp Gawd

True statement, however....
    The computer was completely off. How could the power get to the GPU?
    It was truly a weird one. And they likely had a small pico fuse they replaced for about one dollar because I got the original card back after 2 days from when they received it.

32. IdiotInCharge

99% of games run on cell phones.

On the PC, ray tracing is making a pretty big showing before the next generaiton releases.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  33. kirbyrj

I disagree. It's still pretty niche considering we're coming up on a year after launch and have very few supported titles. 3 years from now might be a different story but we are not 3 years from now.

OhSigmaChi likes this.
  34. kirbyrj

We don't agree about everything but he has specific use cases that I don't have. What is best for him is not best for me. He is usually pretty fair relatively speaking. Much fairer than juanrga for example ;).

35. IdiotInCharge

...next year. Later this year for some. Not most titles, but plenty of AAA-titles to make it worth choosing a card with hardware ray tracing.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  36. kirbyrj

I mean isn't that what Jensen said last year when he launched the 20XX series? Here we are 10 months later and have very little to show for it other than improved raster performance. I'm just not convinced that this current generation is powerful enough to make it anything but a novelty. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

37. IdiotInCharge

I run what works. That's rarely been AMD, though has occasionally, and is looking to be more often.

If you want to make a case, make it, and back it up. If you just want to make personal attacks, or if facts hurt your feelings and you need an outlet, we have ways of dealing with that too.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  38. IdiotInCharge

I put about as much stock in what CEOs say to the press as I do presidents ;)

[never watched his presentation- he said 'it just works', and in terms of using the ray tracing hardware that's absolutely true, but getting the proper balance into engines that were not build with ray tracing in mind is obviously much harder than he implied]

Maddness, GoldenTiger and kirbyrj like this.
  39. sleepybp

sleepybp Limp Gawd

Just stating the obvious that you have a "keep drinking the kool aid" reputation here.

One that goes out of their way to fight for Intel when their 9900K gives 101FPS vs a Ryzen 3600X with 99 FPS at roughly half the cost.
    Or for Nvidia to repeatedly state how their ray tracing is amazing and worth the extra cost.
    Most of us really dont give a fk about the 3 fps difference or the current ray tracing gimmick.
    But we have you to remind us that the elite 1% are out there who do.

40. IdiotInCharge

This is your individual perception, and it is personal. It has no place here either way.

I've recommended AMD for most. What I will state, as fact, is that the Intel part is faster. This is [H] and that matters, please do be mindful of the URL of the forum you're posting on.

It's a faster card and it has more features. Yes, it's worth the cost. No, the brand doesn't matter, or at least it wouldn't back when ATi existed and competed directly with Nvidia as opposed to AMD following Nvidia's lead with their graphics division.

You mean, most of the people you know aren't [H]?

I'm not in that category.

Algrim and GoldenTiger like this.