amd rdna 5700 or

fightingfi

2[H]4U
gotta 1070 gtx workds fine want to upgrade either amd 5700 or nvidia 2070 kinda early i know but thinking isnt teh 5700 more of a 2060 i dont want to spend 500 on teh xt version 449 whatever it is either so maybe go 2070 if nvidia drops prices? send your opinions in ........NOW

Not much of an upgrade.

Maybe “super” will offer something better. Based on what I see available today, go 2080/VII or better

Super is still a myth

Confirmed by WhyCry @ Videocardz. He has a very good history of only Confirming things that go on to be true.

Though, it mainly just tightens up performance (10-15% for 2060 and 2070) vs Navi, at the same prices.

It looks like it would push them back into a dead heat with Navi, instead of Navi being about 10-15% ahead.

So you get very similar performance for similar price. But NVidia includes RT HW support.

IMO it's a challenging position for AMD unless they lower prices more.

I want to know what did they refreshed and why and will super be a a pci express gen4 ready.

I think it's fairly obvious that this refresh, is just a mild tweak to boost performance of existing product, specifically to counter the Navi launch.

It will have the same cards, same chips, etc, so it won't have PCIe 4 (not that it matters).

If it were me I would get a used 1080ti.

If it were me, I would wait atleast for a year till Nvidia releases 7nm cards

Going by die size alone, it seems AMD has overpriced Navi cards by 100$
Huge scope for price decrease

Wait for the reviews and also any info dealing with Nvidia refreshes and pricing is my take. You might be able to get a 2070 for less than $400 which will make it rather nice buy. Navi should have some secret sauce for performance increase over time with Wave 32 once programmed. That is not today and maybe for the next 6 months. If Navi OC like hell on average, drivers look to improving performance rapidly due to it being a new architecture after a few releases then Navi is probably a good buy. Besides if you really want RT, get a 2080 at least if not the super whatever that is for the few games that support it. Most will be playing games that will never have RT in them for this generation.

I'd wait and see what the final shakeout is between the 5700 series and whatever Nvidia's "super" cards look like before I bought anything at this point (unless you're going to buy a used 1080Ti...$460 shipped or so refurbished from Zotac in the Hot Deals section...just saying).

Sure some (IdiotInCharge) can make an argument for RTX, but the reality is there is only a handful of titles that support it. It might be the future, but the future is definitely not now. And I would argue that if you're buying an RTX card for next years titles (e.g. Cyberpunk), you should wait and see what cards are available then. I'm not jumping on the RTX (or AMD equivalent at some point) bandwagon until there's a compelling library of games that support it and adequate performance doesn't require a $1000 investment. Right now that isn't the case.

If it were me, I would wait atleast for a year till Nvidia releases 7nm cards

Going by die size alone, it seems AMD has overpriced Navi cards by 100$
Huge scope for price decrease
Beyond that, this is just one of the most underwhelming generations to upgrade to. Let's hope AMD/NV decide to provide something compelling in the next round. I'd keep the 1070 for now.

Beyond that, this is just one of the most underwhelming generations to upgrade to. Let's hope AMD/NV decide to provide something compelling in the next round. I'd keep the 1070 for now.
No change of that either. There both going to milk this until Intel comes along.
And when Intel comes there is no guarantee that they won't just join with the same agenda (sell higher priced gpu, if the cpu market is anything to go by).

Agree that these prices are BS for both rdna 5700 and Nvidia Turing.
Used GPU is the way to go until Nvidia/AMD get the message that their pricing is not appreciated.

$500 1080ti on ebay will crush both the 2070 and the 5700
I bought my 1080ti used for $500 and would rather roll the dice on a bad card than support these current prices.
True story, I actually had a bad lightning storm kill my used 1080ti, shipped it to gigabyte and they fixed it based off the serial# and 3 year automatic warranty- no receipt req'd

I'd wait and see what the final shakeout is between the 5700 series and whatever Nvidia's "super" cards look like before I bought anything at this point (unless you're going to buy a used 1080Ti...$460 shipped or so refurbished from Zotac in the Hot Deals section...just saying).

Sure some (IdiotInCharge) can make an argument for RTX, but the reality is there is only a handful of titles that support it. It might be the future, but the future is definitely not now. And I would argue that if you're buying an RTX card for next years titles (e.g. Cyberpunk), you should wait and see what cards are available then. I'm not jumping on the RTX (or AMD equivalent at some point) bandwagon until there's a compelling library of games that support it and adequate performance doesn't require a $1000 investment. Right now that isn't the case.
I had to like your post here simply for the IdiotInCharge reference. Me thinks he may be upset because his Intel and Nvidia stock will be taking serious beating next few years

Reactions: N4CR
like this

We still have NV 7nm to look forward to. I wouldn't write things off yet. AMD blew their wad on 7nm.

Agree that these prices are BS for both rdna 5700 and Nvidia Turing.
Used GPU is the way to go until Nvidia/AMD get the message that their pricing is not appreciated.

$500 1080ti on ebay will crush both the 2070 and the 5700
I bought my 1080ti used for $500 and would rather roll the dice on a bad card than support these current prices.
True story, I actually had a bad lightning storm kill my used 1080ti, shipped it to gigabyte and they fixed it based off the serial# and 3 year automatic warranty- no receipt req'd

I bet you didn't tell them a lightning storm killed it.

Reactions: DrDoU
like this
I bet you didn't tell them a lightning storm killed it.
True statement, however....
The computer was completely off. How could the power get to the GPU?
It was truly a weird one. And they likely had a small pico fuse they replaced for about one dollar because I got the original card back after 2 days from when they received it.

lol, now at the same time 99.9% of games have no RT and will never have RT for this generation. Something to consider.

99% of games run on cell phones.

On the PC, ray tracing is making a pretty big showing before the next generaiton releases.

On the PC, ray tracing is making a pretty big showing before the next generaiton releases.

I disagree. It's still pretty niche considering we're coming up on a year after launch and have very few supported titles. 3 years from now might be a different story but we are not 3 years from now.

I had to like your post here simply for the IdiotInCharge reference. Me thinks he may be upset because his Intel and Nvidia stock will be taking serious beating next few years

We don't agree about everything but he has specific use cases that I don't have. What is best for him is not best for me. He is usually pretty fair relatively speaking. Much fairer than juanrga for example ;).

I disagree. It's still pretty niche considering we're coming up on a year after launch and have very few supported titles. 3 years from now might be a different story but we are not 3 years from now.

...next year. Later this year for some. Not most titles, but plenty of AAA-titles to make it worth choosing a card with hardware ray tracing.

...next year. Later this year for some. Not most titles, but plenty of AAA-titles to make it worth choosing a card with hardware ray tracing.

I mean isn't that what Jensen said last year when he launched the 20XX series? Here we are 10 months later and have very little to show for it other than improved raster performance. I'm just not convinced that this current generation is powerful enough to make it anything but a novelty. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

I run what works. That's rarely been AMD, though has occasionally, and is looking to be more often.

If you want to make a case, make it, and back it up. If you just want to make personal attacks, or if facts hurt your feelings and you need an outlet, we have ways of dealing with that too.

I mean isn't that what Jensen said last year when he launched the 20XX series?

I put about as much stock in what CEOs say to the press as I do presidents ;)

[never watched his presentation- he said 'it just works', and in terms of using the ray tracing hardware that's absolutely true, but getting the proper balance into engines that were not build with ray tracing in mind is obviously much harder than he implied]

I run what works. That's rarely been AMD, though has occasionally, and is looking to be more often.

If you want to make a case, make it, and back it up. If you just want to make personal attacks, or if facts hurt your feelings and you need an outlet, we have ways of dealing with that too.

Just stating the obvious that you have a "keep drinking the kool aid" reputation here.

One that goes out of their way to fight for Intel when their 9900K gives 101FPS vs a Ryzen 3600X with 99 FPS at roughly half the cost.
Or for Nvidia to repeatedly state how their ray tracing is amazing and worth the extra cost.
Most of us really dont give a fk about the 3 fps difference or the current ray tracing gimmick.
But we have you to remind us that the elite 1% are out there who do.

Just stating the obvious that you have a "keep drinking the kool aid" reputation here.

This is your individual perception, and it is personal. It has no place here either way.

One that goes out of their way to fight for Intel when their 9900K gives 101FPS vs a Ryzen 3600X with 99 FPS at roughly half the cost.

I've recommended AMD for most. What I will state, as fact, is that the Intel part is faster. This is [H] and that matters, please do be mindful of the URL of the forum you're posting on.

Or for Nvidia to repeatedly state how their ray tracing is amazing and worth the extra cost.

It's a faster card and it has more features. Yes, it's worth the cost. No, the brand doesn't matter, or at least it wouldn't back when ATi existed and competed directly with Nvidia as opposed to AMD following Nvidia's lead with their graphics division.

Most of us really dont give a fk about the 3 fps difference or the current ray tracing gimmick.

You mean, most of the people you know aren't [H]?

But we have you to remind us that the elite 1% are out there who do.

I'm not in that category.

True statement, however....
The computer was completely off. How could the power get to the GPU?
It was truly a weird one. And they likely had a small pico fuse they replaced for about one dollar because I got the original card back after 2 days from when they received it.
That's not how lightning works. On or off if it's plugged in its at exactly the same risk. 2 million volts literally arcs across open switches. I had a strike hit my house once, came in the wan cable. Blew up the motherboard (blew it up. Literal explosion). I had the PC plugged into an expensive surge protector. Lesson learned.

Also there's no Pico fuse. Generally the power regulators blow up, and after that it depends how much energy is left. Lighting is nasty stuff.

Not trying to change the subject.

That's not how lightning works. On or off if it's plugged in its at exactly the same risk. 2 million volts literally arcs across open switches. I had a strike hit my house once, came in the wan cable. Blew up the motherboard (blew it up. Literal explosion). I had the PC plugged into an expensive surge protector. Lesson learned.

Also there's no Pico fuse. Generally the power regulators blow up, and after that it depends how much energy is left. Lighting is nasty stuff.

Not trying to change the subject.
Not a very nice thought living in Florida where lightning is rather common and one strike can poof $15000+ worth of computer/Asics/GPU's/CPU's in a fraction of a second. Living on the edge. . .

Way off topic, but there are ways to deal with this. Just no cheap ones. With respect to WAN, you can place a fuse and ground device between the modem and the router, for example. After seeing some of the lightning down here in San Antonio, that's on my list for the Fall storm season...

Reactions: noko
like this
Way off topic, but there are ways to deal with this. Just no cheap ones. With respect to WAN, you can place a fuse and ground device between the modem and the router, for example. After seeing some of the lightning down here in San Antonio, that's on my list for the Fall storm season...
that is the lesson i was referrimg to. wifi is lightning freindly

As an rtx2080ti owner I absolutely agree! I'm gonna switch my alternate machine from 1070ti to 5700xt.

Sure, if you already have a RTX 2080ti to do Ray Tracing, a 5700Xt can make sense for a second machine.

But if it's going to be your only GPU and AMD doesn't offer significantly better perf/$ I would take the "free" RT HW to try in some games.

Back