AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT and RX 5700 Review Roundup

Ditto

And at the age of 53 i am glad to be called a kid :cool:

BTW my TV are a 10 year ( or so ) old LG 42LH5000,,,,, also 1080p,,,,,, and i think thats unusual too, but i am well endowed so i don't need a big TV to compensate.

My 6 year old tv, a 50 Inch Sony Bravia that I bought for $600 in October of 2013, is also 1080p. The TV looks great and is not worth replacing at this time.

lol so you are that one other person!
still got my Dell 2408FPW. I dont like 16:9, too bad there are so few 16:10s around.
next montitor eventually though will by ultrawide or a 16:10 27".

agree, i'm sad 1920x1200 never became a standard, it took me so damn long to get use to 1080p again after my samsung 245bw died.

Your posts are a constant reminder of the Dunning–Kruger effect.
The resolution of 4K monitors is not 4X the resolution of 1080p monitors. Resolution is linear. Of course 4K nomenclature has nothing to do with being 4 times anything either.
4K has DOUBLE the linear resolution it is named for, as in 2K x 2 = 4K. 1080p doubles to becomes 2160p, and more appropriate to the discussion, 1920 (AKA 2K) doubles to become 3840 (AKA 4K).
What quadruples is the total pixel count which is an AREA measurement, not a linear measurement.

Listen, it is more than obvious you are trolling me and have no concern discussing the 5700 series.

Q: How many 1080p screens fit into 4k (at resolution)...?
A: Four..!

That is not to suggest that is why it is named 4k, but it is an established fact. How something this trivial can cause so much anguish, means those angered are little people and haters. But thanks again for the Wikipedia lesson, as if anybody here didn't know this stuff.

My TV look like "poo" but so do the programming on it, so i would rather be without than buy a new one, even if i today could get a larger one and 10 X better one for 50% of what i paid for the current one back then.

It is just TV, the "Facetwitt" of the world from before the internet.

BUT for over a decade i have been panting about getting a kick ass oled computer monitor, and i was hoping my old 22" CRT would last until then, but no :sleep: so now i an on a cheap iiyama 144 Hz screen.

agree, i'm sad 1920x1200 never became a standard, it took me so damn long to get use to 1080p again after my samsung 245bw died.

It was the standard widescreen before HDTV took off. Then those damn skinny 16:9 displays took off. Still using my 16:10 NEC (A-TW IPS panel FTW).

Even more ridiculous that people are adopting 21:9 displays at home. Pure abomination. ;)

Do you see how these AMD naysayers have made this thread all about someone mentioning 2k and harping on them, instead of discussing AMD's 5700 Series. That is a technique known as threadcrapping.. and that is what these characters are tring to do. They don't want an in-depth Radeon 5700 thread, they want to disrupt the conversation, because they have stakes in doing so.

Be careful here- you'll note the join dates of many accounts, including mine. We've been here for the ebbs and flows of various GPU vendors (and CPU vendors).

Many, including myself, aren't threadcrapping- we're being specific, because the discussion of GPU performance requires specificity. The stakes are misrepresenting the Radeon 5700 and its potential place in the market.

My first flatscreen was a 27" Overlord, is after my SONY CRTs went.
I have a 1080p rear projection SONY TV that I arcade/console game on.
I have 4 1440p monitors that I game on.
I have 1 4k HDR tv that I watch on.

Thanks for sharing.... but none of that has anything to do with AMD's 5700 series discussion....

index.png

My first flatscreen was a 27" Overlord, is after my SONY CRTs went.
I have a 1080p rear projection SONY TV that I arcade/console game on.
I have 4 1440p monitors that I game on.
I have 1 4k HDR tv that I watch on.

Thanks for sharing.... but none of that has anything to do with AMD's 5700 series discussion....

View attachment 173261

As bad as it is, to cherry pick reviews, it's much worse to cherry pick individual games, because there are plenty of examples to show the opposite. I said within an hour of the embargo lifting. Everyone can cherry pick the results to match their opinion. Here is the 2060 Super destroying the 5700 XT:

ace-combat-7-2560-1440.png

I am not cherry picking anything. It is Tomb raider....
So please go find another review where Navi isn't close to the $499 2070SUPER in tomb raider, plz. (Or on the toes of AMD's own $599 Radeon VII.)

But at least this is a discussion. Because I have read over 20+ full reviews. And not a single one had a any results/graphs where Navi performed badly in games. Yet, many more in which Navi out performed an equally priced RTX. Subsequently, If you are trying to go "tit-for-tat" on charts, you'll loose if you are trying to defend Nvidia. Bcz I already read them and could pollute this thread with charts over charts showing the $349 5700 beating out the $399 SUPERs.

When in fact, that is the price of the 5700x (showing the same uplifting pattern) is trading blows with the $100 higher 2070 SUPER. And as mentioned by many here, these are first days reviews of Navi and it's drivers will get much polish over the next months. Turing has been out a long while... and owners (like me/rtx2080) will see nominal increased in optimization.

If you have the time... another perspective: Overclockers
After you 10 review you start to see that Navi doesn't behave like Vega and that the 5700 series no matter what review, no matter what game is worth every penny compared to Nvidia's offering. It is clearly the premium offering here, seeing how the equally priced $349 RTX 2060 lags behind the 5700 in a good many games.

I am not cherry picking anything. It is Tomb raider....

You don't seem to understand the concept. Singling out any game is cherry picking. Because nearly every game leans one way or the other.

If I asked anyone to pick a neutral game, they would pick a game where AMD does better if they had AMD leanings, and NVidia did better if they had NVidia leanings.

The best option is to have an average of the largest number of titles with some kind of external choice mechanism.

I agree whole heartedly.

Frame times are important and I look forward to seeing Gamer's Nexus, or some other site do an in-depth review of it. I think many are holding of for the new Adrenalin wrapper.

Frame times are important and I look forward to seeing Gamer's Nexus, or some other site do an in-depth review of it. I think many are holding of for the new Adrenalin wrapper.

They already have- their perspective was unflattering, to say the least.

Basically, the rule with this release seems to be 'wait for better coolers and drivers'. The potential is absolutely there but we have no way to know how well it will pan out.

Do you really think actual buyers are concerned about 16nm node process, or 7nm node process..? Or do you think you are just being long winded and talking about history and past.... because you do not want to talk about today and the future? You said that Consumer's were not. If consumers are not concerned about node process, then why are you sitting here trying to tell us techies about something we know, but don't care about when price performance on Navi is remarkable compared to nvidia's newly released SUPER. Navi is the clear winner...

It isn't a clear winner, it is a late to the party competitor. At least it does that (for the market). For my answer to the node process, read the post of mine that you quoted. Reading is fundamental.

Many People have already given you illustrations, yet you keep pretending that Navi on water will cost too much. You've never explained your rational behind that, as if water cooling on Navi cost more than water cooling on SUPER..?

Lol... Now you are just trolling...

...Help Navi do what..? Overclock, or run cooler... because you don't seem to understand how Navi works (it overclocks itself until it hits a thermal wall. If you remove that wall it keeps clocking), or have not bothered to read how it reaches 2100hz on stock blower... o_O

Keep telling yourself that.

Account created July 5th with over 50 posts... *goes to wikipedia to find the definition of a troll* *giggles at what he finds*

You don't seem to understand the concept. Singling out any game is cherry picking. Because nearly every game leans one way or the other.

You have already established that you are confused by competition.

And if you read enough reviews and enough charts, then you'll learn that it leans in Navi's favor more often, than not. Which is obvious by now and why most are no longer here arguing, but already orderd and building. Many are witing for AIO solution to see which Navi they are getting.

SUPER is just uninspiring from any angle. As an owner, or as a perspective owner of 4 other gaming rigs. Navi is exactly what I deem proper for a 1440p freesync2.0 set up for gaming and lans. On my other rigs, going beyond 1440p (ultrawide/4k)I will have to wait for the 5800 Series. When big-navi drops, I will purchase a new top-performance 32"~42" freeSync2.0 monitor and be done with that rig. My G-Sync Predator x34 & RTX 2080 will be up for sale cheaply to one of my co-workers.

I think that 49" Samsung would be sweet for MMORPGs, too... I already have the 32" QLED and my Vega will be replaced by Navi on that system. Navi is causing a cascading effect as people pass/hand down/sell off their older cards... for cheap.

For about $800 bucks (the cost of my RTX2080) you can have a nice $450 1440p Gaming Monitor and a $350 Radeon XT 5700.

FWIW:
Navi is the reason I started my account. I am building multiple systems and updating my house and networking and need case design builds. I need to decide on multiple monitors too.

I game everyday with hundreds of people & don't sit on forums my friend. I usually post once a day and that is not trolling, but the cadence in which some people live here and saying the same things over & over ARE derailing the thread away from the topic. Not me.

I game everyday with hundreds of people & don't sit on forums my friend.

I do both.

I am building multiple systems and updating my house and networking and need case design builds. I need to decide on multiple monitors too.

There are a number of subforums that will be helpful. Do note that forums are a learning experience for all involved.

I usually post once a day and that is not trolling, but the cadence in which some people live here and saying the same things over & over ARE derailing the thread away from the topic. Not me.

Going over the details isn't derailing. If a thread isn't going the way you want it to, you can start another with a more specific topic.

Supposedly the Google Streaming version is going to be balls to the walls crazy compared to what us lowly "PC Gamers" are going to be able to run locally. It will be crazy if it turns out true. Can't wait either way. I just do not see how you can play a twitch shooter with streaming and input lag.

There will be special features, but those are more likely to be related to games actually running the game on the servers (zero overhead twitch streaming and things like that), not like it will be a visual upgrade, since it appears you only get one Vega 56 to run it on this generation of Stadia.

Something they could do would be to have massive matches that are cooperative against an insane amount of NPC enemies... so 100 players, all together in a server with 10000 monsters in a crazy psycho onslaught! Would be nuts, and might be something not possible with players who play from their own pc. Could also be team battles of 100 vs 100, or gigantic team battles where one team is playing as demons..

4k resolution is 4x that of 1080p. <---- Fact!

Wrong.

2k is universally understood as anything between Full HD (1080p) and 4k. Which is essentially every 1440p & ultrawide. As such, any gamer would understand what another gamer meant by sub-4k gaming... as 2k. Even on stage at events, speakers often glance over things and use 2k and 4k in gaming references...

Thanks for the Wikipedia lessons, but probably not needed for those who understand 2k gaming. (Add up the total pixels and divide by 2 = approximate K)

Wrong again.

Something they could do would be to have massive matches that are cooperative against an insane amount of NPC enemies... so 100 players, all together in a server with 10000 monsters in a crazy psycho onslaught! Would be nuts, and might be something not possible with players who play from their own pc. Could also be team battles of 100 vs 100, or gigantic team battles where one team is playing as demons..

Wrong.

Wrong again.

Those scenarios are pretty cool, and it will be interesting to see what they can pull off. But given that PlanetSide2 had matches with 1-2K players over 8 years ago makes 100x100 sorta meh on a laggy platform. That is just me though. For 3rd person games, it might be much better. I would love to be able to play Horizon Zero Dawn without buying a console. It would be awesome if we had that option like we do with (currently half baked) Xbox games that work in windows.

Supposedly the Google Streaming version is going to be balls to the walls crazy compared to what us lowly "PC Gamers" are going to be able to run locally. It will be crazy if it turns out true. Can't wait either way. I just do not see how you can play a twitch shooter with streaming and input lag.

I'm gonna wild guess here and say the AMD "Sharpening" solution will play in here for higher FPS at "high resolutions"

It seems like an obvious streaming oriented feature, now available on Navi as well.

I'm gonna wild guess here and say the AMD "Sharpening" solution will play in here for higher FPS at "high resolutions"

It seems like an obvious streaming oriented feature, now available on Navi as well.

I have a 5700XT AV ED on it's way from AMD....They apparently shipped it via pack mule so it won't be here until Monday (and then FedEx doesn't show up until like 5-8pm)....I look forward to comparing it to my VII...I have an EK block on order for the end of the month to see how it does under water..

If I asked anyone to pick a neutral game, they would pick a game where AMD does better if they had AMD leanings, and NVidia did better if they had NVidia leanings.

The best option is to have an average of the largest number of titles with some kind of external choice mechanism.
I do also want to say, depending the suite of games a reviewer chose, it can also favor brand over another. I think it is just best practice looking at bunch of reviewers to get a clear picture of what is going on.

But at least this is a discussion. Because I have read over 20+ full reviews. And not a single one had a any results/graphs where Navi performed badly in games.

Most reviews use canned benchmarks from a handful of games that nobody really plays. Go look at Hardware Canucks review of the 5700/5700XT showing pubg/fortnite results including the 1% times vs 2060S/2070S. I'm sure you will blame drivers but if that's the case, why should a consumer have to wait on AMD to fix their drivers on a finished product? I have a lengthy post about how most video card reviews are useless but I'm too lazy to dig up the link, it's on fps review forums.

[QUOTE="Basically, the rule with this release seems to be 'wait for better coolers and drivers'. The potential is absolutely there but we have no way to know how well it will pan out.[/QUOTE]

This...
Tech Jesus replaced some thermal pads and was able to drop the crazy high thermals considerably, so that's very encouraging.

I had to buy my RX580 at the height of the mining GPU bubble last year, so paying $300+ for a mid-range card doesn't scare me as much as it would have in the hoary past.
Going to wait to buy until Black Friday and hope to snag a deal then on Sapphire's Nitro+ version of this

That Gamer X reminds me of that one user who was about calling Threadripper a POS and wanted Xeon Platinums to learn game design from the bottom up and kept going on about weird and irrelevant things. I think Dan_D had fun with him.

Yes I did. :) Don't forget that he was arguing this point while talking about being late on his car payment in order to buy computer parts and being denied credit to buy expensive server hardware everywhere he tried.

No comparison to Reshade? Which does sharpening and a whole lot more.

Reshade uses one size fits all solution that objectively looks worse due to more instances of shimmering vs dlss and RIS, so they compared apples to apples.

Edit : reshade also has instances in which it cannot be used since it is a third party solution.

I don't see a point of going above 1080p when I can go above 144Hz. More FPS is way better for immersion than more pixels in my experience.

Last edited:
I don't see a point of going above 1080p when I can go above 144Hz. More FPS is way better for immersion than more pixels in my experience.
Some day there will be a 27-32" 144Hz 1440P/1600P Freesync 2 monitor with the color quality of IPS that's NOT CURVED. I want more pixels than my current 1920x1200 setup but I want Freesync, HDR, and I want to keep the quality of my current IPS panel for watching movies. Am I looking for such a niche that the manufacturers haven't bothered yet?

It's becoming painfully clear that this is the new Polaris. Not super impressive at first, but at least we will have a 16 GB 6700xt in a couple of years for $200...

NVidia has pushed the pricing upwards successfully already. Are we ever again going to see $200 cards that blow away anyone passed their teens? Lower bins of the 5700 chip can be produced for $300 after a few months. I'm sure the Asian market for example will see a cheap variant we don't get in the west that's further gimped with some disabled RAM/bandwidth or whatever.

Yes I did. :) Don't forget that he was arguing this point while talking about being late on his car payment in order to buy computer parts and being denied credit to buy expensive server hardware everywhere he tried.

Ironic since AMD is hiring in a engineering crews right now.
If someone wants play with their gear, simple enough to go work for them in Santa Clara for a couple years.

Some day there will be a 27-32" 144Hz 1440P/1600P Freesync 2 monitor with the color quality of IPS that's NOT CURVED. I want more pixels than my current 1920x1200 setup but I want Freesync, HDR, and I want to keep the quality of my current IPS panel for watching movies. Am I looking for such a niche that the manufacturers haven't bothered yet?

Almost everything you desire in an Acer XR382CQK

Back