AMD Radeon RX 480 Supplies at Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Freesync runs like shit at 30-40 fps. Its not smooth at all. Benefits are only above that with my BenQ XL2730Z.
Yeah unfortunately one is tied to the Freesync range of the monitor, and that model is minimum 40hz.

Thanks

Yeah, he's no sales guy that's for sure. He should have good ol' Roy talk it up on Twitter. That will get the masses talking. :p
I promise I did not read you post before I posted my news items....great minds and all.

Lucky for me with a 2GB HD7870 I can just sit back and wait to see what's available cost wise mid/end-July.

So what's with the drama (again)? It's not as if Vega is going to be stealing a lot of RX sales. It's a completely different target audience. Vega will most likely be 2x to 3x the cost of Polaris. The only thing Vega will really impact will be potential 1070 and 1080 sales. I'm surprised that people here are surprised that Raja is talking about it.

So what's with the drama (again)? It's not as if Vega is going to be stealing a lot of RX sales. It's a completely different target audience. Vega will most likely be 2x to 3x the cost of Polaris. The only thing Vega will really impact will be potential 1070 and 1080 sales. I'm surprised that people here are surprised that Raja is talking about it.

Actually glad to see its being talked about because I honestly thought it was forgotten about. Maybe not the best way to talk about it but better than nothing.

ill say 2 things ;) it is a trick question if he is using a freesync monitor ;)
And If Aussie had balls he would have captured it at 60 fps ....

Youtube won't show more then 30 fps ....

He's using an ASUS PB279Q which is 4k. It also has a sticker on the base of the monitor that says 4K and the monitor model #. So no tricks :p

a82U0la.jpg

So if now they have to drum up Vega to stem 1080 sales, what'll AMD do with GP102?

That's practically the only reason Raja would do that, I guess it's not common in the GPU market. It is in some tech industries. E.g. release midrange product and hype ultra high end product in a years' time, so you don't jump ship to the competitor who has something compromiseish, between the two product segments in the meantime..
Either that or it's a total ass-up fail and will be slower than a 970...

I so wanted to troll that thread and yell Nano, but I knew you guys sold it already ;)
Lost my ass on that too. I actually did buy a Fury X last month, since we only had one and Brent needs it. I needed a card to do the AotS testing, which by the way, should have its fourth and final installment published in the next 24 hours.

In my little one horse town there are 2 traffic lights and 2 Chinese restaurants at both ends of the town. Last night at the takeout restaurant it seems that the owner's daughter now has 3 kids or more as I stopped my car to allow them to finish the game winning play in their Kickball game. Everything is outsourced today. Try to buy a car that isn't comprised of "foreign" parts. Might as well get over it and get with the times.

Do I like "Made in America" stuff? Sure do! Will spend extra for it. But it is a rarity nowadays to see this. Nvidia has the Founder's Edition premium priced GPUs coming from Foxconn right? Think I read that at one time or another. Where is Foxconn? Texas? NYC? California? Florida? Hell Canada? So in the grand scheme of things who cares. My Intel processor says Malaysia on it if I remember right. My new GA-990FX-Gaming mobo by Gigabyte is made in Taiwan I believe. I'm not fact checking these so might be slightly off. Asus made in the USA? Hitachi hard drives? Seagate?

I think the difference here is between "Made in America" and "Designed in America".

I - too - was a little surprised that AMD's GPU design team is in Shanghai.

I just kind of assumed they were all still in Ontario, Canada like ATi, but honestly I never kept up with it.

For the longest time we have been sold on the concept that for cheap unqualified labor, that can no longer be done in the U.S., you either have to be an Engineer or at the very least a highly skilled high tech labor type, otherwise your job is going to get off-shored.

We have become used to American and European scientists discovering things, American and European engineers designing and developing it, and china manufacturing it.

Now we see that AMD is off-shoring the highly skilled and technical design work. That is alarming indeed.

Pretty soon the only jobs that will be left will be the financiers, and maybe those can be off-shored as well?

For the longerst time it's been difficult to get people worked up about the off-shoring of blue-collar labor. Those are the low paying jobs. Who cares about those? Whe should be targeting getting everyone highly educated and focus on keeping the high paying jobs, amirite?

Well, now the high paying jobs are leaving too. This country is effed.

(keep in mind, I am intentionally using the term off-shore, not outsource. The term "outsource" is usually misused by people. It has nothing to do with moving work abroad. It only means you have it done outside the company. So if you go to a contractor across the street, you are outsourcing. If you go to a wholly owned subsidiary or business division in Shanghai you are off-shoring, if you go to a contractor in Shanghai, you are both outsourcing AND off-shoring. Let's band together and fix the broken and misused terminology!

Does the pricing / performance of the RX 480 matter at all ?? Kyle and so many others seem to have pre-emptively doomed this GPU without as much as getting the final detailed reviews out there.

Moreover, how does anyone other than AMD get to decide the positioning of this GPU in the market?? Some of the inferences are really out there!!

OK, if you guys want to discuss this MADE IN AMERICA topic, great, but do NOT do it here. Go to the Soapbox and discuss it there. This discussions are not what we want here and posts after this will be deleted.

Does the pricing / performance of the RX 480 matter at all ?? Kyle and so many others seem to have pre-emptively doomed this GPU without as much as getting the final detailed reviews out there.

Moreover, how does anyone other than AMD get to decide the positioning of this GPU in the market?? Some of the inferences are really out there!!
I have never "doomed" this GPU. I have stated over and over, that shortcomings in design and fabrication of Polaris will force it to be sold on price. That is what is happening. That however has no bearing on the RX 480 video card at $200 being "doomed." I think you need to take a look at the link I posted above as to our review format.

I am personally expecting the RX 480 to be the best performing GPU we have ever seen at the $200 price point.

That said, I truly do not believe that was AMD's goal for Polaris when they started to design. I think they were looking at bring Fury/Fury X-like performance to the market but clocks kept them from doing that.

Without the review you can see that the power draw is just from 1 6 pin connector on the card. That makes it fairly low on the "spec sheet" you can see it doing over 5 Gigaflops which is about the same as the R9 290X which gives you a ballpark idea on the performance.

If that chip could "use" more power and scale higher without any crazy dynamics (400 Watt power requirement) Wouldn't AMD have made such a version? This discussion a side we get $199 card with low power usage. If that is the best AMD can do and they can make it work for them , why not ;) .

I don't understand how some are already proclaiming the 400 series as being a great video card. Has it been reviewed by someone already?

I don't understand how some are already proclaiming the 400 series as being a great video card. Has it been reviewed by someone already?

Some of the factors are already known so in a way it depends on the rest it looks like it "can't" go wrong for what it sets out to do.

I really don't understand how merely mentioning Vega in a tweet will have any significant impact on AMD sales due to being "off message". The first thing Huang did when launching Titan X was use "CEO math" during a widely publicized conference to talk about how Pascal would be "10x faster than Maxwell".

Kyle, you are both an AMD fanboy and an Anti-AMD Nvidia Shill, get with the program, sheeeeeeeesh!

That said, i do expect them to sell a crapton of those cards if the 970 like performance is true, and yes i mean 970, dunno who started the 980+ rumors but dang is that a jump in the rumor mill or what! (i even saw someone trying to go for 980ti... a feat that is even hard for the 1070 when both are overclocked <.<... this one was no AMD fan, so just saying, crazy rumors are jumping from both sides of the fence)

I really don't understand how merely mentioning Vega in a tweet will have any significant impact on AMD sales due to being "off message". The first thing Huang did when launching Titan X was use "CEO math" during a widely publicized conference to talk about how Pascal would be "10x faster than Maxwell".
agreed... Very odd negative speculation, but par for the course lately :)

With Polaris production done, marketing events done, review cards sent out, and just waiting for June 29th to begin sales and reviews.... It would make sense for Raja to start hyping up the thing everyone seems to be clamoring for: AMDs next high performance card... What else is he supposed to do for the next week? Repeat the same Polaris hype? :p

The way it's looking 970+ like performance with a decent OC headroom.. for $199, it would be a sweet card honestly. Great power consumption too. I think I am going to snatch one for my livingroom box.

Someone forgot to tell the Chinese that who developed the world's fastest supercomputer with Chinese-designed and built chips...
Yeah lets get one thing straight. No they aren't the fastest. They are the biggest which makes them the fastest by the number of processors they use for their specific applications.

Give me enough money and I will design you the worlds most powerful mining rig.

The devil is always in the details.

That is a hellishly small heatsink. Simple extrusion with a copper core, no vapour chamber no nothing. The ram is basically heatsinked to the bottom plate of the blower assembly. VRM sinks integrated in the assembly. Quite a nice and simple yet well thought out design. Cheap and easy as fuck to build and you don't need 50 screws like the flounder edition.

I don't think it'll go so well when really pushing clocks though. But hey, it's a ref cooler. Wonder if my old 7970 ref vapour chamber or accelero would fit... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back