AMD Radeon RX 480 Supplies at Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Keeping in mind that HardOCP have not been briefed or sampled on the new RX 480 by AMD as I type this, we have gotten solid information as to supplies on launch day...whenever that is. Expect around 8,000 cards to be available in North America. All of these cards will be "built by AMD" cards, much the same model that NVIDIA uses at launch, however without the early adopters tax being imposed. From what history shows us in terms of AMD launch day cards, this number is actually higher than what we have been privy to in the past.

Beyond that expect Add-in-Board partner RX 480 custom cards to start showing up in mid to late July. Expect AIB cards to have some value added and a bit more panache.

I want custom cards NOW! Not another month of waiting! Plus STEAM Summer Sale is just around the corner. Does AMD ever release anything on time? Do Project Deadlines mean anything? They really need to clean house over there, its been downhill for a while now!

Rumors that the nda will lift this Friday too since so much information has been "leaked" already. Interesting that there is more available for this launch as compared to previous launches? (also curious as to how it compares with the recent 1080/70 launch information... if there are any numbers even available...)

I want custom cards NOW! Not another month of waiting! Plus STEAM Summer Sale is just around the corner. Does AMD ever release anything on time? Do Project Deadlines mean anything? They really need to clean house over there, its been downhill for a while now!

Don't have a heart attack. After market cards never come out the same day as the reference cards. Chill, you should see them a few weeks after regular launch. I think after that most cards will be after market cards, I have really never bought reference card unless ofcourse I was desparate.

Does AMD ever release anything on time? Do Project Deadlines mean anything? They really need to clean house over there, its been downhill for a while now!

How is this not on time? Cards with reference coolers will be available in a week or two. Just like the 1070/1080's. It's dumb to be mad over this. If you really/truly need a custom cooler, wait patiently.

Plus STEAM Summer Sale is just around the corner. Does AMD ever release anything on time? Do Project Deadlines mean anything?
save your pennies and buy the company then you can control the "deadlines". why would you expect amd to conform to what YOU want/expect?!
there will be stock on the 29th like they have said for a while now.

Start your own brand.
Then you can predict how the cards will react to the cooler you already created in advance, using the bios you created in advance by guessing, have a large team of people using environmental test chambers to speed up testing and validation to produce a custom card on day one.
Then you take the risk that your product will be stable and reliable with one days testing.

Or wait for the others to do it sensibly :p

Rumors that the nda will lift this Friday too since so much information has been "leaked" already. Interesting that there is more available for this launch as compared to previous launches? (also curious as to how it compares with the recent 1080/70 launch information... if there are any numbers even available...)

Where did you hear this?

8000 in NA? I hope it ain't so because that seems... little?

Well Kyle mention it is more than usual from AMD, so that is always a good sign for AMD. How does that compare to nVidia, really don't know, wonder if anyone here can chime in.

Edit: Grammar

Last edited:
I would suggest that NV had less than 10K 1080 out in NA on launch day, but close to that. It is very hard to get these numbers down. You have to take from a bunch of different sources and make an educated guess. But I have been doing this for a while, and it is not exactly rocket science.

Well Kyle mention it is more than usual from AMD, so that is always a good sign for AMD. How does that compare to nVidia, really don't know, wonder if anyone here can chime in.

Edit: Grammar
Well, after Kyle's ballpark, 8000 of 480s is very little indeed.

I guess if I do nab 2 of these at launch then I can always resell easily if I decide to go to the 1080 route.

8000 in NA? I hope it ain't so because that seems... little?

If majority of the cards will be 8gb aftermarket cards than its pointless to flood the market with all reference. Those cards will start at 249.99 to 300. Gibbo at overclockers UK said they have 500 to sell alone for first day, if Razor1 trusts him 'lol ;)" than there is more than enough stock and you will see them pop up frequently including after market cards.

AIBs want more margins it has been widely reported so they won't flood the market with all reference cards, it just makes sense.

If AMD can come in with a quality product that beats the competition at the price point. I will be happy. I will also consider this card.

The aftermarket cards will be the most popular anyways. If Sapphire has Nitros available on day one, screw the reference design.

Reading at overclocker uk, he is saying has 500 to sell on day one that is alot for one vendor. So May be most reference going to Europe since all the tax and shit adds up. And more after market ones coming to us in the U.S and less reference? Makes sense.
Agreed that regions with lower income and/or VAT seem to be more excited about 480 launch than the US.

8k units for all USA ? i think your source just had a brainfart, like your last source about how hot and unclockable polaris is.
ppl who bought AMD stock a year ago, are up 3x right now, maybe x5/6 in few months if their products are good this time around.

8k units for all USA ? i think your source just had a brainfart, like your last source about how hot and unclockable polaris is.
ppl who bought AMD stock a year ago, are up 3x right now, maybe x5/6 in few months if their products are good this time around.

So instead of insulting people, what do you think the launch number is?

They will languish on shelves because of how slow, hot and noncompetitive they are.
Glad you quoted that as it outlines the only way AMD can compete with this part is pricing. :)

But let's please keep this thread on topic and post in editorial thread for thoughts on this.

Had heard a similar story elsewhere and great to now have confirmation.
Reading at overclocker uk, he is saying has 500 to sell on day one that is alot for one vendor. So May be most reference going to Europe since all the tax and shit adds up. And more after market ones coming to us in the U.S and less reference? Makes sense.

That's exactly how many OCUK had of the 1080 and that's a high-end card -- they sold out in an hour.

Also worth noting OCUK often gets over 1/3 allocation of high-end cards so that doesn't bode well for UK stock.

That's exactly how many OCUK had of the 1080 and that's a high-end card -- they sold out in an hour.

And let's keep in mind this is a much less expensive card that is supposed to save AMD RTG on volume sales.

So instead of insulting people, what do you think the launch number is?

i dont have numbers, but from what i see, retailers are happy with the stock they have, some even said it runs Cool&Quiet (see what i did there :D) and performs quite well for it's price.
but most leaks seem to disagree with kyle's theory so far, beside just one week to go, might even see the embargo lift the 24th june according to rumors.

i dont have numbers, but from what i see, retailers are happy with the stock they have, some even said it runs Cool&Quiet (see what i did there :D) and performs quite well for it's price.
but most leaks seem to disagree with kyle's theory so far, beside just one week to go :p

And what leak(s) exactly regarding availability?

You people are hilarious... kinda sad actually. Bickering like little children over a rumor of how many launch day reference cards there will be available.

And those of you hating on the reference cooler when you have absolutely no idea how well it works. From the looks of it, and the pics of the card and cooler, it seems to me like it is a very cool running GPU to begin with.

Kyle, while I agree, it's just plain sad. I really wanted AMD to hit on something this time.
If you can believe all the leaks, it looks like the RX 480 is going to be awesome for the "non-enthusiast" or budget consumer. In this industry it is tough to lead from behind though, and AMD's CPU business shows this. If AMD is to have command of the $200 market segment, they are going to have to sell a LOT of $200 cards/GPUs. I would have expected a roll out like this to have around 100,000 cards worldwide on launch day and I don't think that to be the case. I do NOT have access to those numbers, so maybe I am incorrect on this.

If AMD's strategy of selling lots of mainstream cards is to come to pass, that 8000 for NA should have been 80000 or more. Selling low-margin works well only if you're selling a shedload of them...

I do not like the comparison to AMD vs. Intel CPUs. AMD's CPUs are exteremely slow (barring corner cases) against anything Intel has. Basically low-end i3's beats best FX's in most situations. Imagine RX480 slower and more power hungry than 750Ti. This is clearly not the case in GPUs.

I do not recall AMD ever* having the fastest card. Though, they tended to be around the second-fastest (i.e. x70 series).

*Exception to the rule being 9700 times, and short lead times between HD 5000 and GTX400 and HD 7000 and GTX 600 series,

9700, 9800, x800, x1800, x1900. All of them were faster or tied, ATi had many cards that went up against nV well. It wasn't till AMD bought them they fell off the top end, saving grace was the 4xxx line but that a combination of things that helped it, nV's poor showing of the 2xx line from a power perspective and price

intersting I thought it would be more an

9700, 9800, x800, x1800, x1900. All of them were faster.....

Even though AMD's processors aren't the fastest, compared to their competition, they are very cost competitive based on price.* (Especially when you throw in the motherboard cost) But constantly losing the CPU race hurt AMD's image among the public who perceive speed with technology leadership. Zen is the first step into fixing this. But AMD has a long row to hoe fixing public perception.

*for laptops they were horrid because of the power consumption. I consider this irony because this is where AMD focused their energies with APU's and such.

Yeah CPU side, they just just screwed themselves since Phenom......

I do not like the comparison to AMD vs. Intel CPUs. AMD's CPUs are exteremely slow (barring corner cases) against anything Intel has. Basically low-end i3's beats best FX's in most situations. Imagine RX480 slower and more power hungry than 750Ti. This is clearly not the case in GPUs.
I was referring to the business model.

I do not recall AMD ever* having the fastest card.
You do not recall a lot then.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I don't know about this 8k number. Oc uk is mentioning ample amount of stock on this. Remember I mentioned he said 500 for first day only so they seem to be limiting it to 500 sold in a day. They are saying in that thread that it is more than twice as many gtx 1080s they had for the first few days to sell. Just go read the thread. He said, " ample, ample amount of stock"

To be honest this is sort of a hidden agenda against amd it seems. I mean in all fairness was there a thread about gtx 1080 or 1070 mount at launch? I don't think so unless I missed it. I am sure Kyle has sources there to but it just seems to be one sided reporting here. If OC uk is to go by according to them they have more than twice as many rx 480 for launch day than they had gtx 1080 for the first week.

But nvidia always gets a pass I think for whatever reason, I would like to have equal amount of reporting on nvidia and amd. That just makes it fair. That's what I come here for, fair review and fair reporting. So how many did nvidia have on launch day for the 1080/1070? Because I still don't see standard 1070 cards.

To be honest this is sort of a hidden agenda against amd it seems. I mean in all fairness was there a thread about gtx 1080 or 1070 mount at launch? I don't think so unless I missed it. I am sure Kyle has sources there to but it just seems to be one sided reporting here.

But nvidia always gets a pass I think

That's what I come here for, fair review and fair reporting.

Reading is fundamental. Founders Edition Holds True Along with Early Adopters Tax - Founders Edition Early Adopters Paper Tax for 20 Minutes

""What we can surmise is that NVIDIA had two things in terms of inventory levels for the 1080 FE; those two things are "Jack" and "shit."

Some of you guys' selective memory is amazing to me.

I think we will find out how often they stock up! I hope there was a way to limit to 2 cards a customer for first 30 days. I hope miners don't buy these like crazy. i think we will have more after market cards than reference card for this one in July. Seems to be the way to make more profit for AIBs

If AMD can keep up with demand every day, they will do well. If not, then we'll see lots of tears on the forums as people won't be able to buy them. At 199/239 (for reference cards) these are priced at almost impulse-buy level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back