AMD Quarterly Earnings Up 40% From Last Year

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by rgMekanic, Apr 25, 2018.

1. rgMekanic

rgMekanic [H]ard|News Staff Member

AMD reported it's quarterly earnings today, and the numbers are quite amazing. AMD first quarter revenue is up 40% from 2017, and 23% higher than last quarter. In a massive leap, their Computing and Graphics segment was $1.12 billion, which is up 95% year-over-year. It's probably safe to say that AMD is definitely chipping into Intel's market share with Ryzen, and it is entirely possible for that gap to close even further with the release of the 2nd generation Ryzen processors earlier this week. Just imagine how high those numbers could be if Kaby Lake-G starts proliferating. You can check out the remarks from the earnings call here.

Interesting stuff mentioned in the conference call. Ryzen PRO commercial notebooks are expected to launch in Q2 according to the call, will be interesting to see what those are about, as well as moving forward in Deep Learning, and having OEMs designing Epyc systems, 2018 could be a huge year for AMD.

For the second quarter of 2018, AMD expects revenue to be approximately $1.725 billion, plus or minus $50 million, an increase of 50 percent year-over-year, and non-GAAP gross margin of approximately 37 percent.

N4CR, Nobu, Aenra and 12 others like this.
  2. Ultima99

Ultima99 [H]ardness Supreme

Good news for all of us enthusiasts.

c3k, N4CR, Nukester and 7 others like this.
  3. thesmokingman

thesmokingman [H]ardness Supreme

4. DukenukemX

DukenukemX 2[H]4U

I wonder how much of that is due to cryptomining?

Shop_vac and Big_Rig_Stig like this.
  5. mullet

mullet [H]ard|Gawd

Full steam ahead AMD go go go.....

6. thesmokingman

thesmokingman [H]ardness Supreme

Less than 40% or somewhere in there as 60% is from Ryzen.

Big_Rig_Stig and Stryker7314 like this.
  7. SixFootDuo

SixFootDuo [H]ardness Supreme

Man, thank god. Please please .... pleeeeeaseee let AMD come up with the money to hire more engineers so they can get their video card side of things worked out.

Shop_vac, N4CR, DrezKill and 5 others like this.
  8. noko

noko 2[H]4U

Great news! I do wonder how EYPC is panning out so far? 2018 should be a huge year for AMD CPU wise.

Looking very much forward to TR2 this year - will probably be time for another build.

N4CR, DrezKill, Big_Rig_Stig and 2 others like this.
  9. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

Eagerly awaiting the RX 600. I hope it doesn't eat power like Vega.

Big_Rig_Stig and Stryker7314 like this.
  10. Gideon

Gideon [H]ard|Gawd

Yet you would think Vega was a flop and AMD should leave the graphics market... Yet in reality there biggest sellers are likely the 580 and down cards, but still nice to see them do well. Obviously Ryzen has been doing well for them as well despite the inflated cost of ram and video cards.

Big_Rig_Stig likes this.
  11. CaptNumbNutz

CaptNumbNutz My Cannon Balls Sunk My Fail Ship

This is good for all enthusiasts. I'm sure even the most die hard Intel fanboys are sick of miniscule improvements and ever increasing prices.

12. velusip

velusip [H]ard|Gawd

Are we calling Zen+ 2nd generation? So Zen 2 will be Gen 3? lol

Big_Rig_Stig likes this.
  13. Stryker7314

Stryker7314 Limp Gawd

Love my AMD shares right about now.

Big_Rig_Stig likes this.
  14. WhoMe

WhoMe Gawd

Welcome Back Kotter er...AMD.

15. mullet

mullet [H]ard|Gawd

MAGA

Make
    AMD
    Great
    Again

16. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Pick your own.....you deserve it.

Amazing what can happen when you have a semi-competitive product.

Shop_vac likes this.
  17. Nunu

Nunu Limp Gawd

Or discover a game breaking design flaw...

18. cdabc123

cdabc123 [H]ard|Gawd

I'm glad they are doing so well in the CPU game and hope that they can push it to actually beat Intel soon

Stryker7314 likes this.
  19. r-486

r-486 Gawd

I just recommend people to get AMD for the last year or so.

Stryker7314 and mullet like this.
  20. Sycraft

Sycraft [H]ardness Supreme

Well better news than that: It looks like it is enough they are profitable. Not massively profitable, like 4% but hey Target survives on 4% just fine. If they are back in the black and can stay there, then they will be around even if they remain a small part of the market. They were in the red for so long I was getting worried they'd go under.

Also hopefully they continue to be profitable after crypto 'asplodes.

Stryker7314 likes this.
  21. alamox

alamox Limp Gawd

Down grade incoming

22. ph0ng

ph0ng n00bie

This is a disingenuous argument and has always been. The Vega 64, under load can eat maybe 40-50 more watts than a 1080TI. It's definitely not impressive...but it's nothing worth crying about. The Vega 56 does much better in this regard, and has power draw directly in line with a 1080 and similar performance on average.

Also, I hear the knee-jerk, "...uh...but the temps..." forthcoming. Vega64 has temps under load inline with both 1080TI and 1080, and Vega56 wins by a significant margin. Also, all the temps are quite fine.

And lastly, you will bring up the ancient AMD driver issue: "Hope they can just fix their driver issues..." Which hasn't been an issue in like 8 years.

Edit: I just hate the fakey, "I just hope they can fix X..." when the person obviously doesn't know what they are talking about and actually just wants to ignorantly slag AMD without looking up the facts.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    IronDeagle, ole-m, N4CR and 3 others like this.
  23. Rockenrooster

Rockenrooster n00bie

Amen to that...

24. DejaWiz

DejaWiz Oracle of Unfortunate Truths

That's an amazing turnaround. AMD profits are Ryzen!

Stryker7314 likes this.
  25. lostin3d

lostin3d Gawd

Congratulations! Good news and keep it up!

Stryker7314 likes this.
  26. Aenra

Aenra Limp Gawd

Can happily say i did my part. With an 1800X, then a 1950X, now a 2400G and soon, a TR+ :)

O.K., O.K., i admit it.. and a Vega..

(shhhh)

rgMekanic likes this.
  27. Kor

Kor [H]ard|Gawd

Amazing what can happen when you actually produce a CPU worth a damn.

28. DuronBurgerMan

DuronBurgerMan Gawd

Bulldozer really messed AMD up. What an epic flop. Glad AMD removed their heads from their collective rectal region and rejoined the world of competitive IPC.

On the GPU side they are still... meh. Vega wasn't horrible. But if it wasn't for crypto, I don't know how successful it really would've been. They need to up their GPU game a little more. CPU game is there. It's not a clear win in CPUs, but not a loss either. More of a tie based on use case. Good place to be after 6 years in the IPC toilet.

29. Nobu

Nobu [H]ard|Gawd

But they're worth $0...

"low single digit percentage" if you believe what amd told investors.

30. GoodBoy

GoodBoy Gawd

Good news!

Now make a 5Ghz base speed 8 core/16 thread swollen CPU so IPC is competitive with Intel, and we will have a real race!

Stryker7314 likes this.
  31. acquacow

acquacow Limp Gawd

According to the earnings call, Crypto is 10% of the Radeon group's business, so not actually all that much.

32. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

Really? only 40-50? Huh. Might want to contact all the review sites and tell them they have it wrong.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11717/the-amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-and-56-review/19
    [H]ard OCP Vega 64
    https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/08/14/amd_radeon_rx_vega_64_video_card_review/16
    [H]ard OCP 1080 ti
    https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/03/09/nvidia_geforce_gtx_1080_ti_video_card_review/12

33. DuronBurgerMan

DuronBurgerMan Gawd

I wouldn't buy a Vega, unless deeply discounted next to Geforce equivalents - unless I planned to mine with it. Then they are great bargains. It just wasn't quite there. But AMD came *close* to making a competitive flagship product (and the Vega 56 isn't all that bad next to the 1070 - so mid-range market continues to show competition).

Next time around, maybe they'll do a little better. If Vega 64 used a little less power, and had a little more performance, it would've been there. We're talking like 10% differences here and the product would've been competitive, so not even all that big.

Hopefully AMD hits it next time. And before the naysayers come in with "AMD always sucks, lololol" remember, they HAVE delivered in the past many times. Their underwhelming high end GPU performance is a relatively recent phenomenon, and hopefully just a slump. It happened to Nvidia a few times in the past, too.

34. Rockenrooster

Rockenrooster n00bie

I would say IPC is already competitive with intel, even more so after the Smeltdown fixes. They just need some more clockspeed. A 5GHz 8 core Ryzen would be freakin BOSS!

Stryker7314 likes this.
  35. DuronBurgerMan

DuronBurgerMan Gawd

Competitive, yes. But not quite the same. ~8% IPC gap, after some serious testing by TheStilt (and excluding certain rare AVX workloads). This was closer to 10-11% before Zen+. And AMD is sure to squeeze a bit more out of Zen 2 - hopefully evening it out.

The big value of Zen is its ability to cheaply scale core count with the CCX concept. An 8% IPC reduction, and slightly lower clocks is fine if you can offer extra threads/cores at lower cost.

36. Aenra

Aenra Limp Gawd

He forgot one zero...

37. Shop_vac

Shop_vac Guest

Vega currently has non-working functionality in several areas. That doesn't mean Vega should go die in a dumpster fire, but it doesn't mean it's above scrutiny either.

Praising it for no apparent reason ( it's not cheap, it's a massive die, it matches a 1080, etc), is no better than knee-jerk reactions going in the opposite direction.

DuronBurgerMan likes this.
  38. ole-m

ole-m Limp Gawd

I've been trying to express the vega56 is a bargain and a super card, but people judge vega as a whole based on vega64....
    with 56 you can throw away effeciency and get 1080 performance, or have the efficiency and equally good as 1070ti, freesync and life is good.
    Vega64 isn't a piece of good hardware in it's configuration though.

N4CR likes this.
  39. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

welcome to what intel started by literally calling every refresh a new generation. but yeah zen(gen 1) zen+(gen 2) zen 2 which is an architecture change (gen 3) zen 2+ (gen 4), etc, etc. if they change the base architecture then the "generation" scheme restarts.

40. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

Deafening silence from certain individuals spouting doom and gloom about AMD products and stock prices.
    Clearly they are doing something right..

Stryker7314 and IronDeagle like this.
Tags: