AMD Pulls Oculus Support From Relive VR Streaming

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
As part of their big 2018 driver update, AMD added support for streaming SteamVR titles to a wide range of VR headsets, including the "HTC Vive Focus, Oculus Go, Samsung Gear VR, and Google Daydream." However, AMD just sent a statement to PCGamesN claiming that SteamVR support violates the terms of the Oculus Store, and therefore, AMD's software can't support any Oculus headsets. The publication notes that some open source apps do support SteamVR on the Oculus Go, but it looks like AMD's drivers won't join that list anytime soon.

"Due to the fact that the Radeon ReLive for VR software and the wireless streaming feature requires Steam VR, it does not comply with the requirements of the Oculus Store and therefore will not support Oculus devices."

This is precisely why I went Vive. I hate HTC, but I hate FB more. Hopefully the rumors of a Valve developed/built headset + knuckles are legit. I may have to jump to them (please include wireless with a usb dongle).

This is precisely why I went Vive. I hate HTC, but I hate FB more. Hopefully the rumors of a Valve developed/built headset + knuckles are legit. I may have to jump to them (please include wireless with a usb dongle).

The leaked prototype's seem pretty convincing and considering how pro-VR Valve has been lately and how much refinement has gone into the knuckles I think it's safe to say we'll see it 2019.

I race cars and I've been wanting to get a VR setup for use with sim racing to practice + learn new tracks, and I am 100% ready to pull the trigger on the next gen headset whenever it comes. The Vive Pro looks pretty good but more of a stop gap solution between a real Vive 2.0.

Definitely not considering Oculus anymore given all of the data breach issues with Facebook and the walled garden approach to VR.

Everything that brings consolitis disease to PC fails, Nvidia is the only one getting away with it.
Epic Store might fail because of it, PC users don't like closed ecosystem and exclusive crap.

The leaked prototype's seem pretty convincing and considering how pro-VR Valve has been lately and how much refinement has gone into the knuckles I think it's safe to say we'll see it 2019.
Valve-time doesn't have me holding my breath. I've seen the leaks and I'm sure those are being (have been) seeded to devs. Noticeably absent was wireless details. Hopefully it is just an omission from the leak, not an omission from the eventual/possible product.

misleading headline.. Oculus GO streaming, you can use Rift with AMD no problem.

but streaming to a mobile headset is pretty dumb, just pony up the $300 for a rift and call it a day!

I race cars and I've been wanting to get a VR setup for use with sim racing to practice + learn new tracks, and I am 100% ready to pull the trigger on the next gen headset whenever it comes. The Vive Pro looks pretty good but more of a stop gap solution between a real Vive 2.0.

Definitely not considering Oculus anymore given all of the data breach issues with Facebook and the walled garden approach to VR.
If you are in SoCal you can check out events coming this year. We are getting some of those booked now. Not sure if we are doing 12 or 24.

http://drivenight.club/

I like my rift but hate Suckerberg as the dog he is.

I'm with you in Steam making thier own.

Just a follow up to my previous reply, I am hopeful that Valve has some killer app-style VR game/experience in the wings. HalfLife-related would be nice. Portal-related would be nice. L4D-related would be a vomit machine - but would be nice.

VR hardware has been advancing, but the software is still lagging. Here's to hoping that vertical integration within Valve can show everyone how VR *can* be done.

Just a follow up to my previous reply, I am hopeful that Valve has some killer app-style VR game/experience in the wings. HalfLife-related would be nice. Portal-related would be nice. L4D-related would be a vomit machine - but would be nice.

VR hardware has been advancing, but the software is still lagging. Here's to hoping that vertical integration within Valve can show everyone how VR *can* be done.

Valve has 3 AAA VR being developed as we speak. I have no doubt that when the first game is released, the hardware will be available at the same time.

Gabe Newell has expressed his admiration for Nintendo being able to develop games along side their hardware. That's probably what's happening right now at Valve.

My opinion anyway.....

That would be awesome, unfortunately I live in North Carolina now.

Probably just going to grab a set of Fanatec pedals, shifter, wheel, and use my monitor for now until I pull the trigger on a VR headset. I would definitely be curious to read about your experiences though!
We are working with Fanatec now to supply all our controllers. We moved to Vive Pro HMDs in the last month.

Everything that brings consolitis disease to PC fails, Nvidia is the only one getting away with it.
Epic Store might fail because of it, PC users don't like closed ecosystem and exclusive crap.
Yet steam is closed and not having it can impair your ability to play games you lawfully purchased.

That would be my guess as well. Except I wouldn't be sure of their long term plans if they actually call it Vive 2. Because it'll be their last

That would be awesome, unfortunately I live in North Carolina now.

Probably just going to grab a set of Fanatec pedals, shifter, wheel, and use my monitor for now until I pull the trigger on a VR headset. I would definitely be curious to read about your experiences though!

Grab an odyssey+, you won't regret it. It's off the charts good in iracing. I'd highly recommend getting into some of the endurance races, I ran most of them this past year and it's a step above any other sim racing experience imo. Bakes in strategy, multi class racing, day/night transitions and large fields (up to 60 on some tracks) for immensely enjoyable racing.

I'm waiting for the fanatec direct drive wheels before I upgrade from my g29, not sure how long that'll be but they have pre orders up now so should be soon.

Reactions: Rizen
like this
Back