AMD & NVIDIA GPU VR Perf. - The Brookhaven Experiment @ [H]

Discussion in 'VR & Head-Mounted Displays' started by Kyle_Bennett, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett HardOCP MasterChef Editor Staff Member

AMD & NVIDIA GPU VR Perf. - The Brookhaven Experiment - If naked mutants from another dimension with horribly bad skin conditions interests you, this is YOUR VR game! The Brookhaven Experiment is a tremendously intense 360 degree wave shooter that will keep you on your toes, give you a workout, and probably scare the piss out of you along the way. How do AMD and NVIDIA stack up in VR?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    Sith'ari and MavericK like this.
  2. Bahanime

Bahanime Limp Gawd

Basically if its made with Unreal Engine 4 DX11, AMD runs it total crap.

Why is that? Every single UE4 DX11 game, AMD is 25-50% behind. Let's see, go to official sources:

https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-gameworks-and-ue4

https://developer.nvidia.com/unrealengine

Develop on NVIDIA Hardware!

NVIDIA and Epic have a long history of collaboration. In fact, UE4 is optimized for NVIDIA GPUs and mobile chips.

"Epic developed Unreal Engine 4 on NVIDIA hardware, and it looks and runs best on GeForce." - Tim Sweeney, founder, CEO and technical director of Epic Games.

When we compare that to Unity where the playing field is NEUTRAL, and we see a completely different result.

Xinmosni likes this.
  3. Stryke1983

Stryke1983 [H]Lite

I swear the standard line for when AMD does badly is that it's Nvidia/Intel's fault. But when AMD does well it's because they truly care about us consumers and want to give us value for money, unlike the evil Nvidia/Intel corporations.

viscountalpha, TAP, Algrim and 5 others like this.
  4. pj-

pj- Limp Gawd

Really? Which Unity based VR game test has shown a different result?

5. Stoly

Stoly [H]ardness Supreme

Unity is colluded too :rolleyes::rolleyes:

6. Quartz-1

Quartz-1 2[H]4U

I watched the advert / trailer and it immediately reminded me of Doom 3 with the flashlight mod. That's an immediate turn-off for me.

7. Stoly

Stoly [H]ardness Supreme

I thought the same as well, but actually its a good point for me.

8. jbc029

jbc029 Limp Gawd

No, you don't. In most titles, the 480 is still measurably behind the 1060. The problem is that, for most titles, 10-15% slower than the 1060 means you're seriously impacted by reprojection, because the 1060 routinely flirts with that boundary. You don't have to look any further than Raw Data to see that UE4 can crush both 1060 and 480 alike. Yes, UE4 *does* have a preference for NV hardware. Their marketing and the fact that there's an official dev fork just for NV hardware points to the fact that it *should*. Games that are built solely around functionality that only exists in the NV fork means that AMD is going to suffer heavily (looking at you, multi-res) until they develop a similar branch to handle things of that nature.

Just like AMD was able to toot its horn about smashing NV in Vulkan for a while, NV has put in the effort here and it shows. Nothing is stopping AMD from fleshing out support for UE4 except maybe lack of resources.

9. Kyle_Bennett

That is great rhetoric till you run a Unity engine game that is intensive and find out your message does not stick. There are way more unity games covered here than any other. http://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/08/09/amd_nvidia_gpu_vr_performance_in_call_starseed

Algrim and MavericK like this.
  10. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

I played Brookhaven several months ago before I had a Vive, when I was demoing a friend's. Not sure if it has gotten updated much since then but it was fairly fun, albeit not worth $20 IMO - there just didn't seem to be that much content. Basically just a 360-degree wave shooter with a few different enemy types. I think there is only one gun as well, with some "upgrades" like a lasersight. It did seem to run well and was reasonably fun as a first foray into VR wave shooters, but I would say there are better options out there now.

Still, more VR content and performance reviews are great, so keep up the good work!

EDIT: By the way Kyle_Bennett , AMD is not supported on Async reprojection yet, so that's why you were getting a terrible experience on the RX 480 - it was basically just playing with reprojection off.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  11. Kyle_Bennett

Wow, what a jackass move on my part. Totally forgot. Thanks for pointing that out, I updated that section to reflect that.

That said, HOLY SHIT, RX 480 without Reprojection turned on is a nightmare in that game. I thought I was going to hurl immediately.

12. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

Yeah, I tried running without reprojection in Raw Data with SS turned up...once. Only once. Never again. :vomit:

13. jbc029

jbc029 Limp Gawd

Yeah, it only takes that first time that it scares your kids when they see you lose your equilibrium from that. After that my daughter always makes sure I turn off all the "graph stuff" and set it so we can play normally, which means turning reprojection back on.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  14. pj-

pj- Limp Gawd

Once ATW is out of beta, I think the default for most users will be ATW on, Reprojection off. Everyone on reddit seems super pleased with it so far.

Reprojection doesn't seem necessary anymore unless you are really struggling to keep a semi decent framerate.

MavericK likes this.
  15. Ultima99

Ultima99 2[H]4U

Well then sir, for your daughter's very peace of mind I say you should, nay you MUST, get a new nvidia graphics card this holiday season so she doesn't have to worry about you any more!

16. Rvenger

Rvenger Gawd

R9 290 and Elite Dangerous I came to the conclusion that my 290 was going up for sale to be replaced by a GTX 1060. Simulator sickness sucks.

Shintai and Kyle_Bennett like this.
  17. JohnnyGatt

JohnnyGatt GamingFace

I know that feeling and it shocked me tonight testing the AMD branded 75th Anniversary Remembering Pearl Harbor VR tribute getting dropped frames and reprojection almost full time. Why brand your name on anything running unreal in VR if it runs like crap!

18. Kyle_Bennett

But it's a Premium VR experience...

Chimpee and MavericK like this.