AMD Launches EPYC Enterprise CPUs Available Today @ [H]

Nope essentially it's 128 no matter what. 2P? 128 1P? 128.

correct for 2p configuration 64 pcie lanes from each cpu while the other 64 are used as the socket interconnect so you get 64/64(128) independent pcie lanes available. what i haven't really looked into is whether it's only 1 or both cpu's connected to the chipset which would mean you're either left with 124 or 120 pci-e lanes after. i'm going to guess this is controlled by the motherboard manufactures(?).

Edit fixed a mistake.. reason 458 on why not to use a tablet when responding on a forum.

Last edited:
Are there enterprise grade capacitor backed m.2 SSD's yet?

I could picture myself using two m.2's mirrored as a local boot/data store, and two more as mirrored ZIL SLOGs.
Probably but m.2 backed drives aren't that big. I think mirroring a m.2 is a bit overkill though.

The Samsung PM963 has "power-loss protection":

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/global/file/insight/2016/08/Samsung_PM963-1.pdf

However, the PM963 has been designed to prevent data
loss with its PLP (power-loss protection) architecture. Upon
detection of an external power failure, the PLP solution helps
reduce the risk of data loss. Using the stored energy from
tantalum capacitors, it immediately provides enough time to
transfer all user data and meta-data cached in DRAM to the
flash memory.

That is awesome. Damn they are huge though.

I'm disappointed that there aren't any tiny SSD's well suited to ZFS SLOG drives. You need super low latency, high write speeds, and battery/capacitor backing so they can write the cache to disk in case of sudden shutdown.

Most modern SSD's are too large to make for good drives as you only need a seconds worth of write time in disk space.

I'd love a pair of super high performance low latency 12 GB SSD's :p

I mean, I guess I could get a couple of 8GB ZeusRAM devices, but then we're talking real money :p

Last edited:
The board to which I linked is as much a workstation board as a server board.
Outside of the occasional WS class board from ASUS, which you could argue are not real workstation boards, we do not cover true work station boards either. I would expect enthusiast HEDT reviews.

Just yesterday, I was thinking of suggesting to Supermicro
that they also design and build a tower and/or mid-tower motherboard
with a single EPYC socket, and 4 x NVMe U.2 hot-swap bays.

The only EPYC tower they are currently showing at their website
has a dual-socket motherboard:

They had been doing this for a while. Not sure what the purpose is for them to sell these or if it costs them any money to have them listed. You used to be able to get their consumer/non-pro "gaming MB's from NE and Amazon but they have pulled those.

Essentially what they are is just a non-pro set up with pro level features. You don't get all of the workstation capabilities but they offer "gaming" features to fill in.

I don't think theres much of an issue gaming on pro level gear anymore, other than pro-video cards. Motherboards can take consumer graphics cards and loading up windows is a breeze.

This platform looks amazing.

2017060813504454_big.png

• AMD EPYC™ 7000 series processor family
  • 8-Channel RDIMM/LRDIMM/NVDIMM DDR4, 16 x DIMMs
  • 2 x SFP+ 10Gb/s LAN ports (Broadcom® BCM 57810S)
  • 1 x Dedicated management port
  • 4 x SlimSAS (for 16 x SATA 6Gb/s) ports
  • Ultra-Fast M.2 with PCIe Gen3 x4 interface
  • Up to 4 x PCIe Gen3 x16 slots and 3 x PCIe Gen3 x8 slots
  • Aspeed® AST2500 remote management controller
http://b2b.gigabyte.com/Server-Motherboard/MZ30-AR0-rev-10#ov

If this supports overclocking, I'm in. I can't live with the stock clocks on any of the EPYC chips, but if I could plop an EPYC 7531p in there and get it up to similar clocks as Ryzen, I'm sold.

This is a dream platform.

I'm just a little bit concerned about the bottom RAM slots interfering with PCIe cards.

If this supports overclocking, I'm in. I can't live with the stock clocks on any of the EPYC chips, but if I could plop an EPYC 7531p in there and get it up to similar clocks as Ryzen, I'm sold.

This is a dream platform.

I'm just a little bit concerned about the bottom RAM slots interfering with PCIe cards.

without a heatsink on the VRM's i can't see it supporting overclocking out of the box. given the amount of heat the vrm's put out overclocking the R7 it would probably be pretty insane with epyc cpu's increasing the voltage any higher than stock. but we'll probably find out when threadripper releases since that'll give a pretty good idea on if there's really any potential of epyc being overclockable.. it would actually scare me to see what the final TDP ends up being if it was, lol.

When are the 2p Server boards and cpu going to start showing on sites like newegg?

The ASUS ROG’s Zenith Extreme has a better DIMM socket layout, but fewer DIMM sockets overall:

1496150690319.jpg
Is that eATX? Because that's hella-cramped, and I feel like a larger motherboard would serve this platform well.
Edit: looks nice, though.

When are the 2p Server boards and cpu going to start showing on sites like newegg?

probably won't be for a while since business sector is going to get priority.. but i think we won't see anything on the non business side until threadripper releases and both will hit shelves/e-tailers at the same time.

The ASUS ROG’s Zenith Extreme has a better DIMM socket layout, but fewer DIMM sockets overall:

1496150690319.jpg

Yeah, but that's probably a Socket TR4 board for Threadripper, not an SP3 for Epyc.

They are supposed to be similar in size but different, after all EPYC sports 128pcie lanes and octachannel ram, and Threadripper "only" 64 lanes and quadchannel...

Thanks for the clarification: the titles on the YouTube videos above are misleading then:

EPYC is AMD's new server / datacenter cpu. It is replacing their Opteron line.
The main spec differences would be:
Cores/threads: TR = 16/32, EPYC = 32/64
Memory: TR = Quadchannel (max 128GB), EPYC = OCTOchannel (max 2TB of RAM!)
PCI Lanes: TR = 64, EPYC = 128
Number of sockets allowed on mobo: TR = 1 socket, EPYC = dual sockets (=128 threads, 16 ram channels, 4 TB max ram and 256 pci lanes per server).

Yep. There is just something that appeals to me about that Gigabyte EPYC board.

Massive amounts of PCIe lanes and slots, but very sparse on board amenities (there isn't even any on board sound or USB2 slots)

Reminds me of the good old days when everything g was separate and motherboards didn't try to do everything, allowing for greater flexibility in building your own, exactly the way you want it.

I just wish the on board 10gig Ethernet were 10gBaseT copper instead of SFP+. I've had bought bad experiences with fiber that I don't want to touch it again.

Back