AMD FX-Series "Bulldozer" will ship end of June

Go have a beer or something, as your brain will thank you for not bashing it against a brick wall. This is the problem with the internet, but i'll take it anyday as the good overshadows the short moments like these that are bad.

swear to god i'm going to find a brick wall to bash my head into if that guy doesn't shut up.. 12 years of using AMD processors and my hatred for Intel is making me want to switch to Intel because of that idiot.

the 800 series am3+ boards have no UEFI bios and limited power saving features that only the UEFI bios can support. so in the enthusiest world they are pointless. the 900 series boards are the only ones that matter.

no one knows where hes coming from other then being a professional troll. i mean shit i've been an AMD person for 12 god damn years and even i can admit when the phenom II's completely failed. luckly the fact that it only cost me 230 bucks for my processor and i could still use it in my 3 year old motherboard is the only reason i didn't even attempt to think about building an Intel system.

hopefully more and more game developers see whats possible with the Havok physic's engine and decide to take advantage of all the excess cpu power available now.

What ever that guy is on, I want some of it. He'll crash from his high and go to sleep.

I wouldn't say that the Phenom II failed, per se, the Phenom I failed. Now, while all of us wish that the Stars Rev C (Thuban, Deneb, Heka, Callisto, Propus and Regor) cores would've came out instead of Brisbane, AMD kept working with what they had.

I'm amazed that AMD was able to turn the Phenom I around like they did, especially with their limited budgets. I give Intel props for doing what they do, but I give AMD MAJOR props for continuing to compete with the likes of Intel.

swear to god i'm going to find a brick wall to bash my head into if that guy doesn't shut up.. 12 years of using AMD processors and my hatred for Intel is making me want to switch to Intel because of that idiot.

the 800 series am3+ boards have no UEFI bios and limited power saving features that only the UEFI bios can support. so in the enthusiest world they are pointless. the 900 series boards are the only ones that matter.

Maybe the 990 will show up sooner than later...sorry your not an optimist.

Right about when I get my first real job and have some cash monies to throw around..... NICE!

And props to AMD for bringing back the "FX" moniker, I loved it! FX-60 baby.

yeah i had a 790FX board and a 550BE that I unlocked and when I went to my p55-GD80 and i5 system things were just so much smoother, drivers were autodetected from within the win7 install and it just felt a whole lot smoother.

I hope he gets moderated for trolling.

i'm looking foereward to the 990 chipset and the BD chips I just dont see them outperforming intel for what I do on the desktop (gaming and video encoding).

I'm not in the market for a new CPU, but I am all for a refresh from AMD that puts them back on the level with Intel. Competition breeds the best quality horses in this race.

I wouldn't say that the Phenom II failed, per se, the Phenom I failed. Now, while all of us wish that the Stars Rev C (Thuban, Deneb, Heka, Callisto, Propus and Regor) cores would've came out instead of Brisbane, AMD kept working with what they had.

I'm amazed that AMD was able to turn the Phenom I around like they did, especially with their limited budgets. I give Intel props for doing what they do, but I give AMD MAJOR props for continuing to compete with the likes of Intel.

I'm with you on that one. When I read his post I thought the same thing. :cool:

If we were looking at something awesome we'd have seen more numbers by now. June isn't that far out and AMD would definitely be trying to get current buyers to hold off with impressive numbers if AMD had them I think.

If it was faster than Sandy Bridge that would mean it's quite a bit faster than Phenom II. Releasing benchmarks too early would do more to cannibalize AMD's own sales.

I'm not debating that either is better than the other. I've been using the SB build as my primary pc. Both platforms have their upsides and their downsides but I will say, that if I had only one machine it would be p67/z68+2600K.

I'm not debating that either is better than the other. I've been using the SB build as my primary pc. Both platforms have their upsides and their downsides but I will say, that if I had only one machine it would be p67/z68+2600K.

No offense, but if Intel can't figure out how to get 2 SATA 3 ports working on their p67 motherboards. How in the heck will they get SSD caching to function on z68? Maybe a magic wand from your lvl 75 Necromancer? :p With the z68 platform it's highly probable that INtel has pushed its release back a few months because of teh SB chipset fail. (Maybe indefinitely) I would never build off of a platform that has been proven unstable. But you SB fanatics know better eh... You also have to think those same designed Sata 3 ports that failed on SB were implemented on beta z68 boards. Hmm Can you say "back to the drawing board" Intel?

Last edited:
No offense, but if Intel can't figure out how to get 2 SATA 3 ports working on their p67 motherboards. How in the heck will they get SSD caching to function on z68? Maybe a magic wand from your lvl 75 Necromancer? :p With the z68 platform it's highly probable that INtel has pushed its release back a few months because of teh SB chipset fail. (Maybe indefinitely) I would never build off of a platform that has been proven unstable. But you SB fanatics know better eh... You also have to think those same designed Sata 3 ports that failed on SB were implemented on beta z68 boards. Hmm Can you say "back to the drawing board" Intel?

Um, dude, they already fixed the problem in the Cougar Point PCH, and it was never proven unstable, so just stop. It was a problem that 'could cause issues', not 'will cause issues'.

I like and use AMD a lot, but I'm not going to resort to FUD tactics and venom spewing like you are.

yeah wtf is with fud spewing trolls?

SB spanks the Phenoms I don't see why people don't want to understand the numbers.

Yeah I consider myself a fairly big AMDfanBOI but teletran8 is seriously an idiot.

Shit Happens and it's pretty much a non issue, people who buy boards now won't have to worry about it and those who early adopted have all kinds of good RMA options and it's not like this issue is effecting anyone or probably will effect anyone over the course of the next year. They had working SATA ports in their other chipsets. AMD and Intel have both had their fair share of chipset/cpu issues in the past.

You're not offending me personally but I think you're offending everyone here at [H] with your ignorance.

So AMD is asking insiders to complete a survey about Bulldozer, including marketing stuff like box art:

JPG1_thumbnail.jpg

JPG3_thumbnail.jpg

They're also really pushing the "unlocked" aspect of it.

So AMD is asking insiders to complete a survey about Bulldozer, including marketing stuff like box art:

JPG1_thumbnail.jpg

JPG3_thumbnail.jpg

looks like something out of dragon age origins

Since the new brand is Vision, they should do a box with a beautiful red eye iris with "FX" in the pupil.

JPG1_thumbnail.jpg

JPG3_thumbnail.jpg

The first one looks pretty badass. The second one looks a little too 2005-ish.

I like that they're going red (assuming they stick with it). It's a timeless color that has usually been associated with positive things like honor, sweet cars, and sexuality.

One thing is for sure.

Start saving your money now. Set aside 150 - 200 a month. That will give you $600 - $800 for AMD Bulldoze or $1500+ come end of the year for Intels new socket.

What worries me is, reports are coming out that Bulldozer is 50% faster than Phenom II 1100T. Well, so is Sandy bridge.

JPG1_thumbnail.jpg

JPG3_thumbnail.jpg

I like the second one, personally. It probably doesn't mean anything, but do those look like LGA processors on the front to anyone?

One thing is for sure.

Start saving your money now. Set aside 150 - 200 a month. That will give you $600 - $800 for AMD Bulldoze or $1500+ come end of the year for Intels new socket.

What worries me is, reports are coming out that Bulldozer is 50% faster than Phenom II 1100T. Well, so is Sandy bridge.

which means they essentially caught up from the large performance deficit that they had with Intel ?

No offense, but if AMD can't figure out how to get the translation lookaside buffer on the round of chips that flagmarked the name Phenom. motherboards... I would never build off of a platform that has been proven unstable. But you AMD fanatics know better eh...

Snipped for simplicity - don't want to waste too much time on you. But you get the point.

And no matter. Until Bulldozer = exists, AMD (and it's fanboys) need to put up, or shut up.
Even with the SB delay, I can get a chip and board tomorrow morning if I wanted to.

personally, I'm getting more excited about what z68 can bring. I have not heard anything about what amd would respond as for quick sync. and now Intel is also pushing ssd caching. seriously, amd, leak something!

Can anyone give me the approximate odds that Bulldozer will best Sandy Bridge? I'm still on LGA775 dual core, and am debating whether to go SB now, or wait for BD. I need peace of mind.

Can anyone give me the approximate odds that Bulldozer will best Sandy Bridge? I'm still on LGA775 dual core, and am debating whether to go SB now, or wait for BD. I need peace of mind.

22.4%. :p

It's always better to wait if your current rig is working for you. If you get SB now, it's a great system, if you wait, BD might be better, or you can still get SB and you've only lost a couple months.

june isnt far off, #1 save money for that amount of time until june. #2 read [H] reviews in june. #3 make decision at that point.

The question is in what? It is clear that an 8 core / 4 module bulldozer will beat a 4 core / 8 threaded SB in tasks that use 6+ threads provided the buldozer is at least 3GHz. However it is not clear that bulldozer will even come close to SB in tasks that use 4 threads or less (like 99% of desktop software available today).

Well I've read some reports about reverse hyperthreading in Bulldozers, and it sounds like AMD may have created a paradigm shift in computing. But then again, we haven't seen any concrete specs.

Well I've read some reports about reverse hyperthreading in Bulldozers, and it sounds like AMD may have created a paradigm shift in computing. But then again, we haven't seen any concrete specs.

Those reports are speculation, and years out of date to boot. There is no reverse hyperthreading.

I like that they're going red (assuming they stick with it). It's a timeless color that has usually been associated with positive things like honor, sweet cars, and sexuality.

There are some countries in Asia where red is an unlucky color.

However it is not clear that bulldozer will even come close to SB in tasks that use 4 threads or less (like 99% of desktop software available today).

Your 99.9% number is wrong. And, in addition to that, what about the next few years? Aren't sw applications becoming more threaded every day? People made the same statement about dual core back in 2005. "No apps use more than 1 thread." Now today it is "no apps use more than 4 threads." What will it be in the near future? Seems that the "no apps use...." position is usually tied to intel's core counts more than anything else.

If nobody needs an 8-core you might want to call up intel and let them know because they are charging down that path to catch up. And I am pretty sure once they get there (catch up) we'll see them telling the workd that everyone MUST have an 8-core because that is what really matters.

That was a rumor, never based in reality. Trying to navigate a single thread between multiple cores is not very efficient because of the dependency on data. Too many stalls, too much inefficiency, it would probably take longer.

One cook can make an entire 5-course dinner. 5 cooks can make that 5-course dinner even quicker by each taking a course. But 5 cooks all making the same course would be a mess with most of them standing around or handing the spatula back and forth instead of just cooking the course.

Snipped for simplicity - don't want to waste too much time on you. But you get the point.

And no matter. Until Bulldozer = exists, AMD (and it's fanboys) need to put up, or shut up.
Even with the SB delay, I can get a chip and board tomorrow morning if I wanted to.

I always find it weird on both sides when people get so emotionally attached to these things. Why do you care if AMD "puts up"!? If you want a SB chip go and buy one and stop getting so hostile over something such as a CPU upgrade...

Your 99.9% number is wrong. And, in addition to that, what about the next few years? Aren't sw applications becoming more threaded every day? People made the same statement about dual core back in 2005. "No apps use more than 1 thread." Now today it is "no apps use more than 4 threads." What will it be in the near future? Seems that the "no apps use...." position is usually tied to intel's core counts more than anything else.

If nobody needs an 8-core you might want to call up intel and let them know because they are charging down that path to catch up. And I am pretty sure once they get there (catch up) we'll see them telling the workd that everyone MUST have an 8-core because that is what really matters.

Absolutely. My company uses an EM simulation software that sees 6.8x speedup with 8 cores versus 1. There are definitely people out there who will utilize it.

The burning question is how much faster/slower are you, core to core?

Back