AMD FX-Series "Bulldozer" will ship end of June

Perhaps BD will have better performance in highly-threaded tasks and SB better in single-threaded. Overall, I suppose in the worst case, BD will perform on par with SB and cost roughly the same. Then choosing between platforms will become mostly a matter of features and personal preference.

I was hoping for something like the days of Athlon XP > P4, though.

Perhaps BD will have better performance in highly-threaded tasks and SB better in single-threaded. Overall, I suppose in the worst case, BD will perform on par with SB and cost roughly the same. Then choosing between platforms will become mostly a matter of features and personal preference.

I don't care if Bulldozer or whatever its called is better than Intel, I just want to see price drops do to at least being in the same ballpark performance wise.

those were teh good old days but now that the israelies famous for the pentium-m series chips have made their mark on intel I think intel will die than have it's IPC crown shaken. I think the best place and perhaps the more lucrative place is for AMD to make improvements in its server market in situations > 2 sockets.

I think the best place and perhaps the more lucrative place is for AMD to make improvements in its server market in situations > 2 sockets.

And the laptop market ;)

And the Price Performance market ;)

And the 8 Core Desktop Market ;)

And the Graphics Market ;)

etc. etc. ;)

This will never happen

Intel will "just" have to fix all the failchips they sent out to their desktop/laptop markets.

Then have to squeeze out an 8 Core Desktop CPU very very soon.

Drop Prices on all current dual cores and some quad cores.

And OC the holy heck outta that onchip gfx junk I seen on SB. Causing it to explode!

:p

Yeah Intels got this under control, no problamo ;) haha

They need to stick with SSD's and rip off high end & low end CPU's IMO. That's how they made their fortune these last 3 or so years.

It's happening right now, some people "just" can't accept it ;) Mostly Intel fanboys on AMD threads :D

Yeah, AMD's on top! Thier 32nm process is so mature. Thier chips blow Intel's out of the water!

Oh wait...

Intel is on thier second generation of 32nm, AMD is going to roll out their first in 6 months.

It's happening right now, some people "just" can't accept it ;) Mostly Intel fanboys on AMD threads :D

the only big fanboy i see here is you......and i consider myself quite the fan boy.....so mate, can you just stop trolling? half the shit your saying is nonsense and hard to read......i'm hoping that BD competes with SB

as for the chipset....dude drop it, the argument isnt even valid anymore, replacements are out, the issue was some SATA ports died, affected only the sataports, not the rest of the motherboard, usability was still fine....

Are there any open minded fans out there? I'm a big AMD fan, but even I had to admit SB was awesome enough to deserve a purchase. I really look forward to BD tho.

the only big fanboy i see here is you......and i consider myself quite the fan boy.....so mate, can you just stop trolling? half the shit your saying is nonsense and hard to read......i'm hoping that BD competes with SB

as for the chipset....dude drop it, the argument isnt even valid anymore, replacements are out, the issue was some SATA ports died, affected only the sataports, not the rest of the motherboard, usability was still fine....

But...why so....many of these....?

Like Barton vs. Northwoods ?:p

Are there any open minded fans out there? I'm a big AMD fan, but even I had to admit SB was awesome enough to deserve a purchase. I really look forward to BD tho.

I consider myself closer to Intel than AMD, yet I was underwhelmed by SB.

Cool thing about BD, I can pop it in my mobo and run.

SB I have to buy a whole new platform, like I7 was a new platform.

AMD has my pocket in mind, not their profits by forcing platform upgrades.

Yep, I'm just hoping BD is good enough to compete. Even then Intel is still very good at what they do.

Nope, you need to buy an AM3+ board. U mad?

uhh....where have you been? new mobo is needed

Has there been any info released on the 900-series chipset associated with BD? Number of PCIe lanes, native USB3 support, number of SATA2/3 ports, etc.?

Has there been any info released on the 900-series chipset associated with BD? Number of PCIe lanes, native USB3 support, number of SATA2/3 ports, etc.?
I think the 900 series will be similar to the 800 series, may have PCI-E 3.0, but I'm not so sure about USB3 support. I also think that the SB 900 chips will only have 6 or fewer SATA2/3 ports.

I'm rather disappointed about having to buy a new motherboard, but at the same time I got my X2 555 for 95 bucks and my motherboard for 10 bucks soo not exactly like I have a deep investment.

Is there any possibility of the 900 series being quad channel? or even triple channel?

I'm rather disappointed about having to buy a new motherboard, but at the same time I got my X2 555 for 95 bucks and my motherboard for 10 bucks soo not exactly like I have a deep investment.

Is there any possibility of the 900 series being quad channel? or even triple channel?

Based on the info released so far, it's dual-channel.

No. No possibility of quad or triple channel ram on the desktop side. It also has nothing to do with the chipset or the motherboard, and most likely won't improve performance desktop side anyways. Quad channel is socket C32 and G34 in the server and high end workstation marketplace only.

The confirmation that you won't see an increase in RAM channels has to do with the socket AM3+ itself. Socket AM3+ is backwards compatible with socket AM3 CPU's (it will accept older AM3 cpu's), therefore AM3+ has a similar amount of pins in the socket (approx. 940). The memory controllers are on the cpu's themselves. Therefore any new channels means you would have to add pins to the CPU and the socket.

For the majority of the market they don't have to beat, they have to compete.

For us, even if they have a solid product but still dont take the crown, we will be hearing about the fall of AMD just like pc gaming.

I always felt pretty convinced the i7s would beat out the AMDs from triple channel if everything else was the same, is this not true? If its to no benefit why does Intel include it? Furthermore, quad channel has been available for some time now on AMD's server class, so if it is advantageous, why on a new architecture, is it not included? Is it that big of a deal to include it?

I always felt pretty convinced the i7s would beat out the AMDs from triple channel if everything else was the same, is this not true? If its to no benefit why does Intel include it? Furthermore, quad channel has been available for some time now on AMD's server class, so if it is advantageous, why on a new architecture, is it not included? Is it that big of a deal to include it?

one guess is board size....just my own thought though, ATX is pretty darned small to have that many ram slots

Home users don't need that much pure bandwidth so there's no real reason to have it, but servers can use that and more which is why both AMD and Intel have server boards with more than two channels.
For the consume market, AMD has decided to keep double channel, but make a few changes that allow you go get the most of available bandwidth by tweaking the IMC to be more efficient, and officially support higher speed DDR3. This keeps the cost for motherboard makers down, which means a cheaper platform with comparable performance. JF-AMD talked about this before a couple of months ago, I'll try to find the exact post*.

*http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036695800&postcount=394

Last edited:
Intel will "just" have to fix all the failchips they sent out to their desktop/laptop markets.

Then have to squeeze out an 8 Core Desktop CPU very very soon.

Drop Prices on all current dual cores and some quad cores.

And OC the holy heck outta that onchip gfx junk I seen on SB. Causing it to explode!

:p

Yeah Intels got this under control, no problamo ;) haha

They need to stick with SSD's and rip off high end & low end CPU's IMO. That's how they made their fortune these last 3 or so years.

wow simply wow. fanboy much? you dont even make sense.

IIRC x58 used triple channel because it was little more than the Intel server-platform gussied up as an "Enthusiast" solution for end users. I remember seeing several articles that showed very little performance improvement from 3-channel memory (apart from some synthetic benches) for consumer applications. Most consumer programs are CPU, GPU, or disk-limited. There are only a few corner cases where memory-bandwidth is the primary performance limitation, and they're mostly scientific in nature. That's why "super-fast-ultra-bling" RAM doesn't show much improvement on desktop machines.

Obviously servers are a completely different ball game and they'll take all the memory bandwidth you can afford to throw at them.

I think it's good that BD isn't trying to introduce a new memory standard and/or more channels. More cost without any real substantive improvements. DDR4 is still apparently years away.

Not at all.

Because I didn't have to buy i7 mobo, to buy SB mobo, to buy the next intel platform change.

The mere fact that AMD tries to make backward compatible processors, warrants much prase in this broke asses department.

Wrong. Gigabyte announced a revision of 8xx that will support Bulldozer.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/19856
4.11 Integrated Thermal Control

The SB810/850 supports control of the CPU fan with a dual temperature sensor implementation,

which utilizes the following hardware components:

• CPU’s Sideband Temperature Sensor Interface (SB-TSI)
• SB810/850 hardware monitor (HWM)’s analog temperature sensor, for sensing the
temperature of the Northbridge

• SB810/850’s Embedded Controller (EC) to integrate the temperature information from the
two sources above and to drive the fan policy based on the platform requirements.

• SB810/850 HWM’s fan input/fan output to control the fan
Note: the feature is only supported on platforms using the Orochi processor.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/list.aspx?s=42&jid=10&p=2&v=2
GA-880GA-UD3H (rev. 3.1)
GA-870A-USB3 (rev. 3.1)
GA-870-UD3P (rev. 3.1)
GA-870A-UD3 (rev. 3.1)
GA-890GPA-UD3H (rev. 3.1)
GA-890FXA-UD5 (rev. 3.1)

For those asking about 9xx Hypertransport 3.1, UEFI και Turbo Core 2.0

Wrong. Gigabyte announced a revision of 8xx that will support Bulldozer.

Nobody said anything about the 8xx series chipsets not supporting bulldozer CPUs, we already know there will be 8xx series AM3+ boards. These will also support AM3 CPUs since the AM3+ boards will be backward-compatible.

What won't happen is you won't see current AM3 boards with compatibility for bulldozer CPUs.

I truly hope the BD chip is impressive. Looks interesting, and I love the innovation that appears to have went into designing it.

wow simply wow. fanboy much? you dont even make sense.
Ever since K6&K7, yup.

Are you a Intel fanboy since your grandma saw the Dude your getting a Dell commercial era? :p
(That's all Dell sold back in the day (at least in their news(paper) ads and whatnot.)
Before Intel got nailed in court for using their illegal marketing tactics. haha ;)

I love the innovation that appears to have went into designing it.

You too? What a crazy world we must live in! We are actually excited for innovation, and not regurgitation?

(for example Intels 775, 1366, 1155, 2011 etc. just pick a socket people jeez)

Back