AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution

killroy67

[H]ard|Gawd
So I was reading this article on DirectML Super Resolution, so what do you think, will this match DLSS 2.0 and be a hit ? Seeing how it has the backing of Microsoft and will be cross platform, Xbox and PS5 plus the next gen afterwards I believe, I think this could be a game changer.

Kinda suspicious they're so hush hush about it instead of showing to the public some examples of what their current DLSS equivalent can do, what state it's in.. something.
I'm afraid we're going to be let down by it, if it even releases this generation, at least for a while after initial release.
Probably going to be buggy/detrimental at times, and at the best of times the equivalent level of boost as RDNA2 RT perf vs Ampere RT perf, meaning below the competition.

Nice control panel, works on all AMD RDNA 2 cards. https://www.sapphiretech.com/en/software

1614417083024.png

I keep telling people that it "probably" won't match DLSS, since DLSS is fully hardware accelerated on the Tensor Cores of Turing and Ampere GPUs. AMD would have to do some voodoo magic to make this feature work just as well without causing a performance hit.

And it's almost guaranteed that if AMD figures it out, Nvidia will figure it out too (and probably roll the design into DLSS, making it even better.)

I keep telling people that it "probably" won't match DLSS, since DLSS is fully hardware accelerated on the Tensor Cores of Turing and Ampere GPUs. AMD would have to do some voodoo magic to make this feature work just as well without causing a performance hit.

And it's almost guaranteed that if AMD figures it out, Nvidia will figure it out too (and probably roll the design into DLSS, making it even better.)
Yep. Dlss is now an Unreal engine plug in to boot so easy to implement. Hopefully they do a unity one too!

Radeon Image Sharpening should be built into the driver as a universal option. And I think you can upscale from a lower internal resolution, too. So that Sapphire tool is just a streamlined way to do that stuff. But you should be able to do it from the driver control panel.
Image Sharpening can be universal or per profile or game. Gaming -> Global Graphics -> Image Sharpening

Yes you can upscale from a lower resolution: Gaming -> Global Graphics -> Display -> Virtual Super Resolution + GPU Scaling. While Virtual Super Resolution description only mentions downscaling from a higher resolution it also works from a lower resolution as well. Make sure if you have a multiple monitor setup that the gaming monitor is selected for settings or all the monitors are configured

Image Sharpening can be universal or per profile or game. Gaming -> Global Graphics -> Image Sharpening

Yes you can upscale from a lower resolution: Gaming -> Global Graphics -> Display -> Virtual Super Resolution + GPU Scaling. While Virtual Super Resolution description only mentions downscaling from a higher resolution it also works from a lower resolution as well. Make sure if you have a multiple monitor setup that the gaming monitor is selected for settings or all the monitors are configured
Even the RX 570 supports Image shaping .. going load up borderlands 3 and try Fidelity FX on it ..

I didn't make it to Borderlands 3 ... decided to grab Marvel's Avengers because it has both DLSS 2.0 and Fidelity FX CAS with in it for both camps ..

RX 570 8Gb used..

Don't know if hyped is the correct description. Maybe hopeful would better describe it as many things in life promise the world and deliver day old cold french fries. We'll see soon enough I think.

Last edited:
So tomorrow is the big day. Who is hyped?
I'm hyped to see some youtubes talking about it. But similar to DLSS its.....not going to be in any games I play, for awhile. Unless the RE: Village update for FSR happens soon. The launch day games list is pretty lame.

Honestly in it's current state with the demo videos, I think the effect looks kind of smudged and not as nice as DLSS is right now, but it could be cool in the future. Really curious how it could help improve frame rates for PS5 & Xbox Series consoles in the future.

Honestly in it's current state with the demo videos, I think the effect looks kind of smudged and not as nice as DLSS is right now, but it could be cool in the future. Really curious how it could help improve frame rates for PS5 & Xbox Series consoles in the future.
I think that anyone seeing this as a DLSS competitor is looking at this wrong. DLSS and FSR are truly two totally different technologies. I see FSR is a tool for the great unwashed gaming masses, and DLSS is more of a tool for the elite gamers. The TAM (total addressable market) that the two technologies target are totally different.

FSR is going to be "good enough" and give millions of people a way to get better frames if they need those. That is not DLSS's target market.

I think that anyone seeing this as a DLSS competitor is looking at this wrong. DLSS and FSR are truly two totally different technologies. I see FSR is a tool for the great unwashed gaming masses, and DLSS is more of a tool for the elite gamers. The TAM (total addressable market) that the two technologies target are totally different.

FSR is going to be "good enough" and give millions of people a way to get better frames if they need those. That is not DLSS's target market.

Yeah that's true, in the way that they work I guess. I do think it's fair to compare them, though, since they are designed to work to a similar goal. Also I know this is still hearsay, but next iteration of the Nintendo Switch is rumored to have a chip designed in conjunction with Nvidia; supposedly it will utilize DLSS.

Its also worth remembering that DLSS absolutely sucked for its first 10-ish months and wasn't AI derived. One game (Control) had an improved non-AI derived algorithm for a bit. but it still suffered heavy artifacting, in motion. Until finally 2.0 came out, actually running the algorithm derived from their AI model.

Point is, if AMD doesn't nail it right away, its ok.

Just checked the game list. Been meaning to play Terminator Resistance, so that is cool.

Godfall is also a game I wanted to play, though not that badly. Still, that's enough to keep me busy for a bit while other games get support.

Just checked the game list. Been meaning to play Terminator Resistance, so that is cool.

Godfall is also a game I wanted to play, though not that badly. Still, that's enough to keep me busy for a bit while other games get support.
Resistance is a solid homage to the movies. It's not a GREAT shooter, mind you, but if you like Terminator 2 - well, it'll take you back. Worth the play. Especially given how much they've added to it for free over the years.

Official post
https://www.amd.com/en/press-releas...ution-amd-brings-high-quality-high-resolution

I suspect they will develop a "2.0" based on a temporal method, at some point. However, a spatial method should be less resource intensive and easier to implement. So, easier for older GPUs to utilize and also, easier for anyone to add to their game. Could see pretty good adoption by Indies and less experienced developers.

*reviews so far seem to say that Ultra Quality mode looks pretty darn good and still has an impressive performance boost.

Honestly this looks so good. Even the balanced mode looked okay. AMD: shots fired.

Having a friend play around with it Anno 1800 and noticed some unusual screen space reflection artifacts. It seems where ever SSR is in the render stack doesn't play well with having its lower internal resolution upscaled via FSR sorcery. Basically water is inaccurately reflecting the terrain directly adjacent to it. E.g. one case you can see the water is reflecting the ground immediately next to it, which is impossible if they're at the same Z-axis height.

Anno 1800 @ 1440P FSR "Ultra Quality"

Anno 1800 @ 1440P Native

It does get a win in static images. Take these trees for example, which look sparse and pixelated in 1440P native, but are fully rendered in 1440P w/ FSR "Ultra Quality".

Native 1440P no AA
1624381273876.png

1440P w/ FSR
1624381282598.png

Last edited:
Having a friend play around with it Anno 1800 and noticed some unusual screen space reflection artifacts. It seems where ever SSR is in the render stack doesn't play well with having its lower internal resolution upscaled via FSR sorcery. Basically water is inaccurately reflecting the terrain directly adjacent to it (e.g. is one case you can see the water is reflecting the ground immediately next to it, which is impossible if they're at the same Z-axis height).

Anno 1800 @ 1440P FSR "Ultra Quality"

Anno 1800 @ 1440P Native

It does get a win in static images. Take these trees for example, which look sparse and pixelated in 1440P native, but are fully rendered in 1440P w/ FSR "Ultra Quality".

Native 1440P no AA
View attachment 368289
1440P w/ FSR
View attachment 368290

Yeah that's an impressive up-scaling algorithm...but for moving images its going to have the same teething problems early dlss did.

Going to be interesting to see if Nvidia ports a software version of DLSS 2 in response?

Much better results than I was expecting!

I remember using hacked FXAA insertion DLLS plus sharpening post-processing to get Borderlands 1 broken MSAA looking good , so maybe we will see a universal option in sweetFX soon?

Last edited:
AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution FSR Review: Big FPS Boosts, But Image Quality Takes A Hit

It's impressive -- seems like there's really no reason to not have it on for at least ultra quality unless you're already surpassing your monitor's refresh rate.

I have done some testing with Godfall. Overall I think it looks pretty nice and perf boost is good.

As said in the reviews, balanced and performance modes leave something to be desired in image quality. However ultra quality to me looked better than native, and quality was just slightly blurry but with nice perf gains.

First, here are the screenshots, uncompressed PNGs, you can't really see this in the YouTube videos. Recorded on 3440x1440 monitor ultra quality (but with ray tracing disabled). Click to open in new tabs so you can switch back and forth.

Native:

Godfall_FSR_Native.png

Ultra Quality:

Godfall_FSR_Ultra.png

Quality:

Godfall_FSR_Quality.png

I didn't bother to take screenshots of balanced and performance, because they looked too blurry to be acceptable. But I guess if you have a really old GPU like a GTX 1060 that may be your only option.

Also, note, the performance difference was more apparent in gameplay. With quality mode I could get up to around 160 fps (best case) or usually in the 120+ fps range even in a fight. For some reason it shows higher gains in gameplay, so the FPS meter on the screnshot is not accurate.

But I can confirm the performance I am seeing is in line with the videos from GamersNexus and others, so please watch those videos since they do a much more scientific test.

So overall, I would say this is a huge win for AMD. The picture quality trades blows with DLSS, has nice performance gains, and doesn't require any special hardware (I recorded this on a 2080 Ti). It works.

Last edited:
Is there a list of games that have FSR available to them right now? (that are accessible using Nvidia cards)

Its too bad they didn't get this out with the release of RE: Village. But it should be patched into the game probably before the first DLC. That will be an interesting moment for FSR.

Also, the console versions of RE: Village only uses basic upscaling. So this could be an easy improvement there, too. and could mean 120fps Ray Tracing modes for the console versions.

I have done some testing with Godfall. Overall I think it looks pretty nice and perf boost is good.

As said in the reviews, balanced and performance modes leave something to be desired in image quality. However ultra quality to me looked better than native, and quality was just slightly blurry but with nice perf gains.

First, here are the screenshots, uncompressed PNGs, you can't really see this in the YouTube videos. Recorded on 3440x1440 monitor ultra quality (but with ray tracing disabled). Click to open in new tabs so you can switch back and forth.

Native:

Ultra Quality:

Quality:

I didn't both to take screenshots of balanced and performance, because they looked too blurry to be acceptable. But I guess if you have a really old GPU like a GTX 1060 that may be your only option.

Also, not, the performance difference was more apparent in gameplay. With quality mode I could get up to around 160 fps (best case) or usually in the 120+ fps range even in a fight. For some reason it shows higher gains in gameplay, so the FPS meter on the screnshot is not accurate.

But I can confirm the performance I am seeing is in line with the videos from GamersNexus and others, so please watch those videos since they do a much more scientific test.

So overall, I would say this is a huge win for AMD. The picture quality trades blows with DLSS, has nice performance gains, and doesn't require any special hardware (I recorded this on a 2080 Ti). It works.
The native and FSR ultra look virtually identical, but it appears the images were scaled down to 2000x838, so we can't really make an accurate 1-to-1 comparison with these. Can you reupload those at 3440x1440?

Back