AMD Catalyst 11.2 Now Available

Just an update

First 20 minutes of 11.2: Two blue screen memory dumps just doing normal desktop crap.

5hrs and lots of gaming and desktop stuff later after rolling back to 11.1a: Zero blue screen memory dumps.

Love ATI cards but jesus man that's one extreme to the next in driver quality and for a point release at that.

Last edited:
Everytime I install new drivers, it messes up my desktop icon groupings and positions......takes about an hour to re-arrange the desktop to the way I had it prior to the driver update. :mad:

Anyway to prevent this from happening?

Thanks!

John

Everytime I install new drivers, it messes up my desktop icon groupings and positions......takes about an hour to re-arrange the desktop to the way I had it prior to the driver update. :mad:

Thanks!

John

That's because when you install a new driver, for a brief moment the desktop resolution goes back to 800x600(during that little flicker that happens) while the old driver is being overwritten and the new driver is loaded. I don't think there is any way around that, other than not using so many desktop icons.

My experience with the new 11.2 has been good. I'm finally able to use the new CCC, and performance and stability is good across the handful of games I've played since the install.

I am guessing it is happening when you reboot into safe mode or any other mode in which your resolution is lower than you normally have it. I dont think there is much you can do about it besides keeping less icons on your desktop.

Yes, I suspected there would be no solution except to trim the desktop icon count.

Thanks all! :)

John

There actually is a solution. http://amip.tools-for.net/files/dips64/ This will work on both vista and windows 7 64-bit.
screenshot.png

If you want to do the same on a 32-bit OS go here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/save-and-restore-desktop-icon-layout-in-windows-vista/
You're welcome :)

Uggh.. I installed 11.2, and now my Catalyst control center will not open. I am installing windows 7 tomorrow, so I guess I will just wait and figure it out after I do that upgrade. I installed it on my home computer with my new 6950 last night. Works fine. This stuff wears me out.;)

work computer.

i720
3gb ddr3
xfx 5850
750gb hard drive

New graphics options don't exist with these drivers. no morph AA, new Tessellation settings, nothing. Uninstalled, driver sweeper, installed the 11.2, and i get nothing even with registry changes. This is a joke. What do I have to do for anything new to work. Hate AMD/ATi. worst software support.

New graphics options don't exist with these drivers. no morph AA, new Tessellation settings, nothing. Uninstalled, driver sweeper, installed the 11.2, and i get nothing even with registry changes. This is a joke. What do I have to do for anything new to work. Hate AMD/ATi. worst software support.

Those things shows up on mine on Day 1 when I got my card :rolleyes:

Those things shows up on mine on Day 1 when I got my card :rolleyes:

Mine doesn't show a thing. Its same as my 4870x2. I had it working with the 11.1s and registry tweaks. Installed the new drivers, and all goes to hell. I have nothing. I cant believe it. Im doing everything correctly. This is the last amd/ati product i will ever buy. The hardware is great but the software is a joke. AMD says i gotta format my computer and reinstall windows. Hell no. Why do I have to reinstall windows for a drive issue. I cleaned every trace of AMD software from my comp. It was on standard VGA adapter. I'm lost. I dont know what to do.

Mine doesn't show a thing. Its same as my 4870x2. I had it working with the 11.1s and registry tweaks. Installed the new drivers, and all goes to hell. I have nothing. I cant believe it. Im doing everything correctly. This is the last amd/ati product i will ever buy. The hardware is great but the software is a joke. AMD says i gotta format my computer and reinstall windows. Hell no. Why do I have to reinstall windows for a drive issue. I cleaned every trace of AMD software from my comp. It was on standard VGA adapter. I'm lost. I dont know what to do.

anything before 5000 series is unsupported.

only 5000 series or above have MLAA.. Not so sure about Tessellation on 5000 series, but it does exist on 6970. You need to restart your computer after installation.

Try to reinstall OS, I did that all the time when I was using 8800 GTX due to driver BSOD and downclock bug.

only 5000 series or above have MLAA.. Not so sure about Tessellation on 5000 series, but it does exist on 6970. You need to restart your computer after installation.

Try to reinstall OS, I did that all the time when I was using 8800 GTX due to driver BSOD and downclock bug.

I guess I have to reinstall windows. Its not like I had a nvidia card in my computer before my 6970. I havent had a nvidia card in my computer since 2 computers ago. I had a 4870x2, same company. They lost a customer on this one. Things like this are just ridiculous. I did restart after installing the drivers. It prompts you to restart when the installation is done.

I guess I have to reinstall windows. Its not like I had a nvidia card in my computer before my 6970. I havent had a nvidia card in my computer since 2 computers ago. I had a 4870x2, same company. They lost a customer on this one. Things like this are just ridiculous. I did restart after installing the drivers. It prompts you to restart when the installation is done.

I assume you went and removed those tweaks from the registry prior to installing the 11.2s??

I assume you went and removed those tweaks from the registry prior to installing the 11.2s??

Yea. it wasnt performance tweaks. It was just registry changes to get the options to show up. But yes i did do that. I posted the link above.

Tessellation support was made HD5xxx-wide with 11.1 (even my wimpy HD5450 supports it). MLAA debuts for Cedar-based GPUs with 11.2 (along with the rest of the unpowered crowd).

Still, pricing for the midrange (HD5670 through HD5770) has taken a bit of an odd turn, especially in XFX-land (in another thread, I posted the MC price for their HD5750, which landed it firmly back on my personal radar screen).

What made it all the more unusual is that it's the only one of the brand's three midrange models *not* offering a rebate.

While I expected a price drop with HD68xx supplies ramping up, this was not it. (At least not this way.)

After having problems installing 11.1 drivers I am scared to even try. I think ill stick with what I have

hmm....i did vista updated and CCC now works. I guess it was in a windows update.:eek:

For people having problems (BSDs, corner-mouse-slowdowns, etc.) would you please post your system specs (OS/cpu/GPUs) and from what version you are upgrading?

Is the mouse-corner thing only CFX/5970?

Windows 7 64 Ultimate

OC'ed specs in my sig.

This problem continues to happen even if I run at stock speed; verified today.

Installed them over the 11.1a hotfix drivers, it upgraded a few files actually, rebooted, everything works fine on my 5870.

*shrug*

Y.

Thanks!

John

An hour you say? wow man thats long time to spend shifting icons around,what do you have four thousand icons on a 60 inch plasma?? all i do is take a screen shot of the desktop before hand and takes me under 10 minutes to relocate all icons to the way i had them on my 3 samsung BX2450s and trust me i have ALOT of icons.

So what’s the verdict on these compared to 11.1a? I note the build number is actually one version earlier, which gives me pause. Not to mention there’s pretty much nothing in the release notes that seems to improve 4xxx or Crossfire performance in any way (in the games I play).

ultra-slow uac prompts (40+seconds from it starting to when you can use your computer again). anyone else ?

I would appreciate if someone could tell me why, or if there's a solution to the cursor moving slow in the corner. It only occurs on the desktop. The mouse is a g9 and video card is a 5870 on x64 win 7 ultimate.

edit: fixed it by turning off mouse pointer shadow and all 4 corners dont get sticky now, even tried driver sweep and clean install but nothing fixed it so just as long as maximized windows don't stick i'm fine with not having a pointer shadow.

Last edited:
This broke MSI afterburner for me.

If I have unofficial overclocking enabled, I get a hard lock. Leave it disabled and all works fine, but I'm limited to the crappy limits that CCC imposes. Anyone else getting this?

ultra-slow uac prompts (40+seconds from it starting to when you can use your computer again). anyone else ?

I had that with the 11.1 beta. I just un-installed the drivers, used Driver Sweeper, and re-installed and all was good.

At the very least can get the naming of the driver version right in their files? They're all over the place with this stuff. I'm still using the Dec Hotfix drivers as the 11-11a decided to bluescreen a few times, even with Driver Cleaner, safe mode, uninstalling the display devices, yadada. Maybe when a release comes out that actually is packaged correctly..

Until then, I am happy with these. They work perfectly, but it always itches my back to see these come out.. The BFBC2 blooming bug annoys me slightly.

This broke MSI afterburner for me.

If I have unofficial overclocking enabled, I get a hard lock. Leave it disabled and all works fine, but I'm limited to the crappy limits that CCC imposes. Anyone else getting this?

You have to disable ULPS in registry. Well known problem between AB and AMD drivers. Really easy to fix.

Just search for ''Disable ULPS''.

These drivers cause video in Windows Media Center to stutter when being played in any monitor but the primary.

It's just one of those catalyst gremlins. Just keep reinstalling till it works fine. I went through the same dealio with the 11.1's.

Back