AMD Catalyst 11.2 Now Available

New graphics options don't exist with these drivers. no morph AA, new Tessellation settings, nothing. Uninstalled, driver sweeper, installed the 11.2, and i get nothing even with registry changes. This is a joke. What do I have to do for anything new to work. Hate AMD/ATi. worst software support.

I had the same issue after upgrading from an HD 4870 CF setup. You can enable those settings by using the registry (There's a thread around in which I show the instructions) Or do a reformat which is what I did. You will loose Narrow and Wide Tent Anti Aliasing but that's ok.

Last edited:
6970 here, zero problems so far, 11.1a > 11.2. I didn't bother uninstalling, just a 11.2 install over existing.

dead space 2 very messed up since I installed these drivers. When some necromorph has jumped you and you are supposed to press E nothing is visible on the screen at all except for the [E] thing. Also some of the scripted sequences are like that at all. You just see some random colors or whatever on the screen and not what you are supposed to see.

I had the same issue after upgrading from an HD 4870 CF setup. You can enable those settings by using the registry (There's a thread around in which I show the instructions) Or do a reformat which is what I did. You will loose Narrow and Wide Tent Anti Aliasing but that's ok.

FWIW, that's an issue that's happened with nvidia drivers as well.

11.2 just killed my 5870.

Was playing WoW and Civ 5 this morning fine. Read through a few pages of this thread and thought most results have been positive so let's check it out.

Installed, fired it up, started playing Civ 5 again, about 30 minutes in started noticing green artifacting, shut down, tried to restart... Black screen, sound... Yay.

Only change from earlier this morning to now - 11.2 drivers. Contacting manufacturer to see what my options are.

dead space 2 very messed up since I installed these drivers. When some necromorph has jumped you and you are supposed to press E nothing is visible on the screen at all except for the [E] thing. Also some of the scripted sequences are like that at all. You just see some random colors or whatever on the screen and not what you are supposed to see.

I had the same issue with Catalyst 11.1a but It was because I had the Anti Aliasing option On, you have to leave the Anti Aliasing Option as Application Settings, even with Enhanced Application Settings turned On and it will look garbled. If you want to have spectacular Anti Aliasing on Dead Space 2, just tick the MLAA and disable the in-game's Anti Aliasing option and leave the rest of the Anti Aliasing Stuff at Use Application Settings on the Catalyst. You can also force AF for improved Texture Quality.

Running 11.2 on my 5870. No issues so far.

I also have a problem with Afterburner on my card though. I want to use it to OC my 5870, but when I do my computer locks up anytime I try to play video or DVD's. Does the ULPS thing correct the issue, or is there any way to increase the limits put on CCC?

11.2 just killed my 5870.

Was playing WoW and Civ 5 this morning fine. Read through a few pages of this thread and thought most results have been positive so let's check it out.

Installed, fired it up, started playing Civ 5 again, about 30 minutes in started noticing green artifacting, shut down, tried to restart... Black screen, sound... Yay.

Only change from earlier this morning to now - 11.2 drivers. Contacting manufacturer to see what my options are.

Unlucky, but unless I hear another case of this I'm putting that down to coincidence.

runs smooth for me. Just pimpin a 4850 512mb and a Q9450 @ 3.6. BFBC2 at 1280x960 all medium, no aa runs 50-120fps.

No more low dips like I used to get. Weird. I had a 5870 and it would go into the 2-3 even 0 fps range sometimes with the recent drivers. It did WAY better with 10.5a but yeah. I sold it to get a 2gb card. Just waiting a bit to see what is coming down the pipe before I upgrade again.

I ended up formatting my computer and its working correctly now. That solved my problem, which sucks I had to do that. It worked. :D

My 5870 and 11.2 are working just fine, just like the last 5 or 10 updates. Never had any major problems w/ AMD updates.

I ended up formatting my computer and its working correctly now. That solved my problem, which sucks I had to do that. It worked. :D

Great that it solved your issues. Usually an uninstall and driver sweeper is enough to swap cards, but for some strange reasons, moving specifically from an HD 4870 to an HD 6970 causes issues. I do miss the Narrow and Wide Tent filters as they helped in those case of heavy texture shimmering or shader aliasing in some old games and even in newer games like Singularity and Mirror's Edge.

I had the same issue with Catalyst 11.1a but It was because I had the Anti Aliasing option On, you have to leave the Anti Aliasing Option as Application Settings, even with Enhanced Application Settings turned On and it will look garbled. If you want to have spectacular Anti Aliasing on Dead Space 2, just tick the MLAA and disable the in-game's Anti Aliasing option and leave the rest of the Anti Aliasing Stuff at Use Application Settings on the Catalyst. You can also force AF for improved Texture Quality.

ugh. I was previously using an older driver and AA worked fine in Dead Space 2... :rolleyes:

ugh. I was previously using an older driver and AA worked fine in Dead Space 2... :rolleyes:

May be in your dreams as Dead Space 2 uses deferred rendering and doesn't support Multi Sample Anti Aliasing under DX9, it uses some sort of shader anti aliasing technique that blurs the edges, just like in Mafia 2. So forcing Anti Aliasing in the CCC will do nothing in the game, it can even causes issues, and using MLAA will work great as it is a post processing technique, :rolleyes:

Even with MLAA, the game never diped below 120fps, so he should be able spare some performance for increased quality with ssa.

I'm not seeing stuttering, but Windows Media Center did crash while dragging it between monitors. Managed to make it happen a few times.

Reverted back to 11.1a, I can drag it between screens as much as I want and it wont crash.

I'm not seeing stuttering, but Windows Media Center did crash while dragging it between monitors. Managed to make it happen a few times.

Reverted back to 11.1a, I can drag it between screens as much as I want and it wont crash.

I'm not seeing that either...it drags across with only a short blackout which it always did. I did see flashing in IE on some websites just after installing, but I had three windows open while installing. No problem on firefox. Rebooted and no more flashing in IE.

Did some more testing with 11.2...the sprites in Left4Dead2 look like ass now.

The finale on the bridge has lots of smoke and blood spatter, making the problem very noticeable. All of the sprites had turned to tiled squares of said sprite.

Is there any reason to even bother with new drivers anymore? Seems all they do is get worse and worse...

I'm not seeing that either...it drags across with only a short blackout which it always did. I did see flashing in IE on some websites just after installing, but I had three windows open while installing. No problem on firefox. Rebooted and no more flashing in IE.
Sounds like you installed over a previous driver version.

ATi's installer has issues...if you keep a close eye on file versions, it doesn't update several parts of the driver unless you completely uninstall the previous driver first. You may still be running a chunk of your previous driver along with parts of 11.2

ATI drivers are a daily build and they release whatever is available they can at the fastest rate they can.

Citation: used to work for them as a QE.

Give them time and they will release something stable.

The installer isn't updating all files reliably, UVD clockspeed is bugged, Idle clockspeed is bugged if you enable ATi Overdrive, and the drivers may or may not still have trouble detecting older OpenGL titles so they can set an extension limit.

As it is (unless running a modified video BIOS), when I start a video with a GPU accelerated codec, my card drops to 400 MHz core 900MHz RAM. The drop in memory clockspeed causes temporary flickering or corruption on secondary displays, and the card WILL NOT clock up to 725 / 1000 while the video is open (completely screwing 3D performance). So if I'm gaming and so much as watch a YouTube video on a secondary display, my displays flicker and the game starts performing like crap. Close the video, the displays flicker AGAIN as the card goes back up to 725 / 1000 and the game starts performing properly again.

Enabling ATi Overdrive immediately causes the card to idle at 157MHz core 300MHz RAM. This causes secondary displays to flicker constantly until ATi Overdrive is disabled. There's a work-around to get the card to idle properly at 400 / 1000 with Overdrive enabled, but it has the annoying habit of getting reset every time you reboot (meaning you boot into windows with flickery monitors, oh joy).

We're up to 1 Year, 5 months, and 20 days since the launch of the 5800 series...and we're still waiting for a non-bugged driver.

Ya. I like my 5870 and I'm not sorry I bought it but I gotta say, I miss the nVidia drivers. In my experience, they were superior. Less bugs, and better customization (their per app profiles are just much better than ATi). ATi's drivers aren't horrible like they used to be, their cards are worth getting (as I said I own one), but they are not on the same level as nVidia IMO. They need to bring it up a notch.

Ya. I like my 5870 and I'm not sorry I bought it but I gotta say, I miss the nVidia drivers. In my experience, they were superior. Less bugs, and better customization (their per app profiles are just much better than ATi). ATi's drivers aren't horrible like they used to be, their cards are worth getting (as I said I own one), but they are not on the same level as nVidia IMO. They need to bring it up a notch.

I don't miss nvidia drivers and their nv4disp.dll BSOD at all.

I don't miss nvidia drivers and their nv4disp.dll BSOD at all.
A myriad of other issues, unrelated to the display driver, can cause a BSoD with the display driver listed as the cause.

You'll see the same type of crashes with ATi's drivers with "ati2dvag.dll" or "ati3dvag.dll" listed as the cause.

A myriad of other issues, unrelated to the display driver, can cause a BSoD with the display driver listed as the cause.

You'll see the same type of crashes with ATi's drivers with "ati2dvag.dll" or "ati3dvag.dll" listed as the cause.

I have not yet seen ati with BSoD yet to be honest...

nVidia's dll error is a plague for me, one main reason I dump my GTX 295 and previous nVidia card. They never try fix that fucking issue until GTX 480 with 256+ driver... Which it still happens, just not frequently enough for me to yell at their driver team..

I have encounter numerous issue that makes me go crazy on both team, even came down to building 2 different rig with both nVidia and ATi just to avoid the issues and optimizing.

Neither of them are perfect, and neither of them are superior than one the other. They all suck in general....

nVidia's dll error is a plague for me, one main reason I dump my GTX 295 and previous nVidia card. They never try fix that fucking issue until GTX 480 with 256+ driver... Which it still happens, just not frequently enough for me to yell at their driver team..
Like I said, it's very likely that it's not their (Nvidia or ATi's) issue to fix.

The display driver often gets incorrectly labeled as the source of BSoD's. A lot of other problems with your system could be throwing the BSoD, and the video driver is taking the blame because the crashdump happens to incorrectly list it.

Case in point, my laptop was experience the nv4disp.dll BSoD constantly, no matter what driver I installed. Turned out, it was an IRQ conflict involving the WiFi card causing the BSoD, and replacing the WiFi card immediately solved the problem.

Like I said, it's very likely that it's not their (Nvidia or ATi's) issue to fix.

The display driver often gets incorrectly labeled as the source of BSoD's. A lot of other problems with your system could be throwing the BSoD, and the video driver is taking the blame because the crashdump happens to incorrectly list it.

Case in point, my laptop was experience the nv4disp.dll BSoD constantly, no matter what driver I installed. Turned out, it was an IRQ conflict involving the WiFi card causing the BSoD, and replacing the WiFi card immediately solved the problem.

no, it shows many time under the right corner says nVxxx.sys fail, or nVxxx.dll fail without BSoD... If I continue to play without reboot, then BSoD will comes most of the time..

It's not incorrectly labeled... ITS THE FACT that IT CRASH MY GAME and SHOWS under the right bottom corner with a POP UP.....

Yes, you're getting popups and BSoD's telling you the video driver is crashing. I saw the same thing on my laptop before I swapped the WiFi card.

Still, the problem ended up being completely unrelated to the video driver itself. It was another problem with the system causing the video driver to crash. You very well may have been experiencing a similar problem, and something as simple as re-arranging your expansion cards might have fixed the problem.

Yes, you're getting popups and BSoD's telling you the video driver is crashing. I saw the same thing on my laptop before I swapped the WiFi card.

Still, the problem ended up being completely unrelated to the video driver itself. It was another problem with the system causing the video driver to crash. You very well may have been experiencing a similar problem, and something as simple as re-arranging your expansion cards might have fixed the problem.

I switched my entire rig, exchanging hardware between it, fresh install, same shit happens...
I switched from 8800GTX GTX 260, GTX 295, GTX 480.. same SHIT STILL HAPPENS...

The only thing that didn't happen is when I put a none-nVidia card in there..
THEN IT WILL STOP.

not driver error? yea... it better not be....and I am not the only one who have this issue.. look at the nVidia forums, there are tons of thread about this..

I never said it couldn't be the drivers themselves, but more often than not, it's something else wrong with the system causing the display driver to crash.

While many people experience this problem, a great deal more did not. That means it's not inherent to the driver (otherwise everyone would see the problem), it's inherent to specific hardware or software configurations around the driver. I've seen everything from an IRQ conflict, to a bad power supply, to a corrupt Dameon Tools installation cause the display driver to crash and show nv4disp.dll or ati2dvag.dll on a BSoD.

Trust me, I've been through the hardware swap-fest before. Around 2002 I had issues dialing up to the internet after 6:00 PM (really weird issue, right?). I changed dial-up modems, reinstalled Windows, swapped motherboards, processors, RAM, everything... and the problem remained. You know what finally fixed it? A $5 phone line noise filter...

Can't take this particular crash at face value...

I never said it couldn't be the drivers themselves, but more often than not, it's something else wrong with the system causing the display driver to crash.

While many people experience this problem, a great deal more did not. That means it's not inherent to the driver (otherwise everyone would see the problem), it's inherent to specific hardware or software configurations around the driver. I've seen everything from an IRQ conflict, to a bad power supply, to a corrupt Dameon Tools installation cause the display driver to crash and show nv4disp.dll or ati2dvag.dll on a BSoD.

Trust me, I've been through the hardware swap-fest before. Around 2002 I had issues dialing up to the internet after 6:00 PM (really weird issue, right?). I changed dial-up modems, reinstalled Windows, swapped motherboards, processors, RAM, everything... and the problem remained. You know what finally fixed it? A $5 phone line noise filter...

Can't take this particular crash at face value...

It still doesn't change the fact its nVidia driver that caused the issue..

facts don't change... since its the only one that have issues.. :rolleyes:

And problem been existing for years....

It still doesn't change the fact its nVidia driver that caused the issue..
Like I've already explained, it's likely not Nvidia's driver causing the issue. The video driver crashing can be a symptom of something else being wrong with the system.

facts don't change... since its the only one that have issues.. :rolleyes:
I've also said that this isn't true. ATi's and Intel's video drivers can crash for the same (or similar) reasons.

And problem been existing for years....
Only for some people. The vast majority of Nvidia (and ATi, and intel) based system do not have this problem. The issue arises from specific configurations surrounding the driver.

Is it really so hard to grasp the concept that something else BESIDES the video driver itself can cause the video driver to crash?

Last edited:
Like I've already explained, it's likely not Nvidia's driver causing the issue. The video driver crashing can be a symptom of something else being wrong with the system.

I've also said that this isn't true. ATi's and Intel's video drivers can crash for the same (or similar) reasons.

Only for some people. The vast majority of Nvidia (and ATi, and intel) based system do not have this problem. The issue arises from specific configurations surrounding the driver.

Is it really so hard to grasp the concept that something else BESIDES the video driver itself can cause the video driver to crash?

ok.. I am not quite sure what you trying to defend there..

I already stated above, it only happens when nVidia card is installed, even on fresh install with nothing else but games.. With different hardware, no other expansion card.
It still happening..
It's not happening to any of my other non-nVidia rig, not even a similar issue..

Anything more to argue?

Btw, it does happened to quite a lot people, go search up the nvidia forums or here, you can find a long list of people who have this issue.. It was partially fixed awhile ago, that is why you don't see much of people complaining about it, but it still happening these days..

PS: READ THE RED SENTENCE BEFORE POSTING ANOTHER COMMENT PLEASE

I already stated above, it only happens when nVidia card is installed, even on fresh install with nothing else but games.. With different hardware, no other expansion card.
It still happening..
Then you managed to run across two sets of hardware or software with the same conflict that both crash the display driver (or more likely, something was shared between the two builds).

Also, even when you don't have any expansion cards, the devices built into the motherboard still count and can still cause conflicts. Ever try disabling any of those?

It's not happening to any of my other non-nVidia rig, not even a similar issue.
All I'm saying is that the same type of conflicts that can cause Nvidia's driver to crash can cause ATi's and Intel's video drivers to crash as well.

Just because you swapped the Nvidia card for an ATi card and the display driver stopped crashing does not automatically mean it was a problem with the display driver itself (since that same display driver obviously works fine on many thousands of other Nvidia systems).

You've treated the symptom, not the cause. The conflict that caused Nvidia's driver to crash is still present.

Btw, it does happened to quite a lot people, go search up the nvidia forums or here, you can find a long list of people who have this issue.. It was partially fixed awhile ago, that is why you don't see much of people complaining about it, but it still happening these days..
I already acknowledged that many people have experienced the issue. I also said that the vast majority of Nvidia systems seem to be doing just fine with the same exact driver.

Sounds like Nvidia found a way to make their driver less sensitive to whatever configuration issue all of these effected people share. I'd take a hard look at anyone still seeing the problem to see if they share any particular hardware or software in common that could be causing their display driver to crash.

Then you managed to run across two sets of hardware or software with the same conflict that both crash the display driver (or more likely, something was shared between the two builds).

Also, even when you don't have any expansion cards, the devices built into the motherboard still count and can still cause conflicts. Ever try disabling any of those?

All I'm saying is that the same type of conflicts that can cause Nvidia's driver to crash can cause ATi's and Intel's video drivers to crash as well.

Just because you swapped the Nvidia card for an ATi card and the display driver stopped crashing does not automatically mean it was a problem with the display driver itself (since that same display driver obviously works fine on many thousands of other Nvidia systems).

You've treated the symptom, not the cause. The conflict that caused Nvidia's driver to crash is still present.

I already acknowledged that many people have experienced the issue. I also said that the vast majority of Nvidia systems seem to be doing just fine with the same exact driver.

Sounds like Nvidia found a way to make their driver less sensitive to whatever configuration issue all of these effected people share. I'd take a hard look at anyone still seeing the problem to see if they share any particular hardware or software in common that could be causing their display driver to crash.

I am completely lost on what you trying to defend here..

Problem solved when nVidia card switched out... Oh yea.. Not the driver, must be the configuration that caused it... Yea right..

I know what you are talking about, but this sure isn't one of them....
So nVidia driver is sensitive enough to make shit happens, then it still driver issue...
no matter how you explain that..

I am done with arguing with you, pointless and you continuing pull the same thing over and over again without even acknowledge it is still the driver issue that caused it.

Nope it's not difficult at all, but you can't seem to grasp that for a lot of people the problem was/is nothing to do with hardware. I know lots of people that got so fed up with trying to solve the problem that they switched over to ATI cards. For some the issue was solved by using driver cleaner, which points out that just like ATI/AMD sometimes the install utility isn't updating the files correctly.

As for the flickering issue with dual monitors, doesn't nvidia have the same issue? And don't they get around this issue by running the card at full clocks when using two monitors?

Back