AMD Cat 12.6 "JUNE 6" Unoffical Beta release

These must of just came out.. Get them here

The shocker?? I CAN FINALLY PLAY USING QUAD-FIRE!!!!

Holy crap!! Just got done testing out BF3 maxed out and everything turned on in Eyefinity 6120x1080 @120hz using Quad-Fire on a 64 multiplayer server with 0 issues!!!

Crazy right? Only 5+ months to get this done.. The last 12.6 offical beta i could'nt get tri-fire to work without the cards not clocking right. These no probs.

Used the latest AB to comfirm that i'm getting 80-90% usage out of all 4 cards and all runing the same 3D clocks.. :)

I'm in shock!!

Holy cow.. i can finally use my damn computer!

I know I already said they worked great, but I just finished a few rounds of BF3 and I had to come back to thank you personally for bringing these to everyone's attention. These drivers are AMAZING and exactly what I've been waiting for since day one. No, even more than that, they exceed expectations. Framerates are higher, CF micro-stuttering is drastically reduced, and AO works great! Thanks! I can finally put away that nagging feeling in the back of my mind that I should sell these cards and switch to 680s.

Can't wait for the X2 card's to come out so I can try these bad boys in quad-fire. You guy's are making me jealous!

I'm getting smoother performance with a single card in Batman Arkham City. So I'd say single card users of the 7950 or 7970 should give these a go.

Do you believe another look at Crossfire vs SLI is justified with these drivers? Something as simple as a one page update perhaps?

Do you believe another look at Crossfire vs SLI is justified with these drivers? Something as simple as a one page update perhaps?

Since I haven't tried with CrossfireX I can't say for certain. But the data provided by Crossfire users in this thread looks encouraging.

Is anybody else going through absolute utter eyefinity display group hell with these drivers and crossfire? Its torture getting my eyefinity group to set across all three of my monitors and solving the issue involves random troubleshooting tactics such as disconnecting monitors, trying different group arrangements, rotating displays, etc, etc...sometimes I get it to group quickly and sometimes it takes me over half an hour. Whats worse, every time I reboot, my eyefinity is broken so I have to do the process every time I boot my system. Gah, I've had this bug before, but NEVER this bad. Getting my 3x1 eyefinity group working takes a fucking ACT OF CONGRESS!

This is an issue I've had with beta drivers in the past with the information in CCC not being correct, but it's never been anything more than a slight irritant. To make sure it's installed correctly, go to Device Manager and look up the "display adapter" information. Go to the driver tab and look at the version and make sure it reads 8.980.0.0.

Interesting. I have the correct driver # but incorrect date...

126.jpg

Maybe I'll DL them again and give it another go. :confused:

Is anybody else going through absolute utter eyefinity display group hell with these drivers and crossfire? Its torture getting my eyefinity group to set across all three of my monitors and solving the issue involves random troubleshooting tactics such as disconnecting monitors, trying different group arrangements, rotating displays, etc, etc...sometimes I get it to group quickly and sometimes it takes me over half an hour. Whats worse, every time I reboot, my eyefinity is broken so I have to do the process every time I boot my system. Gah, I've had this bug before, but NEVER this bad. Getting my 3x1 eyefinity group working takes a fucking ACT OF CONGRESS!

Sounds like left over garbage from uninstalling past drivers.. Was smooth for me. Though honestly i didnt have to do anything as somehow there was left over stuff and even after uninstalling the old 11.12 driver set i was using prior and just installing the newest i found that on my first reboot all my eyefinity settings were untouched. haha. So obvioulsy these settings from prior drivers are not going away after a simple uninstall. Might have to try a windows reinstall if other uninstall utilities wont clear old registry settings.

Interesting. I have the correct driver # but incorrect date...

126.jpg

Maybe I'll DL them again and give it another go. :confused:

There are two 12.6 betas, one from May(which you have) and the one from June. They're both from the same branch with just a few tweaks in the newer set. Here's the link to it.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/AMD-Catalyst-12.x-(8.980.0-June-4)-Unofficial-BETA-download-2923.html
You'll have to completely uninstall the set from May since the version ID is the same and the installer assumes it's the same driver and is set up so it won't install driver with the same version IDs over themselves. I went from the May set to these just using the built in uninstaller and worked great.

Just saw at Guru3D that a new beta, 9.00, was leaked today. Guess I have more driver testing for this weekend.
http://forum.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=364400

Last edited:
Sounds like left over garbage from uninstalling past drivers.. Was smooth for me. Though honestly i didnt have to do anything as somehow there was left over stuff and even after uninstalling the old 11.12 driver set i was using prior and just installing the newest i found that on my first reboot all my eyefinity settings were untouched. haha. So obvioulsy these settings from prior drivers are not going away after a simple uninstall. Might have to try a windows reinstall if other uninstall utilities wont clear old registry settings.

Nah man, I did a fresh OS install...on a formatted HD before I installed these drivers.

You skipped the wrong GPU gen. My one Asus cuII 7970 delivered a much, much better gaming experience than my old 6990. Now that the asus is paired with another 7970, I have to say they blow the doors off of a 6990. You should be able to find used 7970s in the $400 range and you should get about $400 for your 6990

So basically you are saying that a 7970 will blow the doors off the 6990 in smoothness?

I always felt that when I owned a GTX580 it was so much smoother in gaming than my 6970's were. Then I scrapped the 580 in favor of a 6990 which I love.

But I am hearing that the 7970 is better but I think it would help if you could define better in what ways? I am not trying to defend my 6990, I am trying to find justification to go through the trouble of selling it and then getting two 7970's in it's place.

And will I regret the change? Right before Big Kepler or even the 8000 series of AMD? I am not even sure when those come out.

Besides synthetic benchmarks can the 7970 outperform the 6990 in FPS in most games?

Besides synthetic benchmarks can the 7970 outperform the 6990 in FPS in most games?

In pure numbers and at stock, not so much. But it will have a more consistent frame-rate, which will make it feel "smoother". You also get freedom of mind with not having to deal with Crossfire issues, mainly scaling with newer games. But once you overclock the 7970 to something reasonable, I've heard from other poster in various forums that the 7970 wins hands down. If it's something you seriously considering, start asking around various hardware forums and get as many first-hand accounts as possible.

So basically you are saying that a 7970 will blow the doors off the 6990 in smoothness?

I always felt that when I owned a GTX580 it was so much smoother in gaming than my 6970's were. Then I scrapped the 580 in favor of a 6990 which I love.

But I am hearing that the 7970 is better but I think it would help if you could define better in what ways? I am not trying to defend my 6990, I am trying to find justification to go through the trouble of selling it and then getting two 7970's in it's place.

And will I regret the change? Right before Big Kepler or even the 8000 series of AMD? I am not even sure when those come out.

An overclocked 7970 crushes the 6990 in terms of reliability, gaming smoothness, technical issues, heat, power and noise. But what do I know, I only owned a 6990 and several 6970s....and now 7970s in crossfire.

Last edited:

I can't get bezel compensation to work in a few games. Menus are broken and in Batman Arkham City, it doesn't work at all. The game acts like I never set it up.

I can't get bezel compensation to work in a few games. Menus are broken and in Batman Arkham City, it doesn't work at all. The game acts like I never set it up.

Ya, everytime I reboot I have to go through an intricate Chinese algorithm to get eyefinity working....but man alive does it work well in BF3, when it does. Crossfire smokes in the new BF3 maps....really makes those maps.....dare I say........

premium

yeah single screen gaming is yawn...

Give us numbers and smoothness reports in eyefinity that is where it matters and that is where it hurts the hardware the most!

When I muster the sensibility to play BF3 in preset "LOW" in eyefinity I crush EVERYONE because I can see EVERYONE before they see me in my maxed out death tank with tri-screen thermal imaging.

Last edited:
Are you in fact a Premium member? :eek:

Iway amway away emiumpray embermay. Utbay eepkay itway onway
ethay ownday owlay ecausebay eway on'tday antway onnay emiumpray
ashtray agabondsvay inway ourway istmay.

I had problems with these drivers too with my Eyefinity. Ended up reinstalling because it got so bad and going back to 12.3. I had problems with my 6990 + 6970 where I had 2 monitors connected active displayport and one connected DVI and for some reason when I connected all three monitors using displayport adapters it worked better.

This is the most problems I've had since going eyefinity 2 years ago :-/

The 12.6 driver actually worked in Batman Arkham City. I can now use bezel compensation again. With the older driver it didn't show the correct compesated resolution in the game's configuration options. Now it does. Mass Effect 3 is also fixed and working well in Eyefinity. The Darkness II is all screwed up still, but that's the developers fault.

Last edited:
Hi dudes,

Quick question: I formerly had 7970 crossfire which I ran for several months since release without issues. However, I have passed it on to someone else and with the 12.6 beta driver - with 7970 crossfire, he runs into a problem where the GPU2 gets stuck at 2d clocks. I remember having this problem once with RC11 drivers, but a reboot fixed it. Never had the problem again with a subsequent driver. Anyway, he is running 12.6 beta and somehow GPU2 gets stuck at 2d clocks - does anyone else experience this? Is there a definitive fix?

Or is this (12.6 beta) working well for everyone with 7970 xfire? Personally, I used 12.2 and 12.3 when I had them with single screen crossfire with no issues, but 12.2/12.3 is a no go in eyefinity (which he uses)

There are two 12.6 betas, one from May(which you have) and the one from June. They're both from the same branch with just a few tweaks in the newer set. Here's the link to it.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/AMD-Catalyst-12.x-(8.980.0-June-4)-Unofficial-BETA-download-2923.html
You'll have to completely uninstall the set from May since the version ID is the same and the installer assumes it's the same driver and is set up so it won't install driver with the same version IDs over themselves. I went from the May set to these just using the built in uninstaller and worked great.

Just saw at Guru3D that a new beta, 9.00, was leaked today. Guess I have more driver testing for this weekend.
http://forum.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=364400

Thanks for the head kick.. I had to completely uninstall the previous drivers. :p Have the correct beta drivers now..

;)

Had a 6950 PE OC that was a total failure with 12.4 whql drivers....crashed in every game inside 2 minutes.....

thought what the hell and installed these betas.......winning!:D

Had a 6950 PE OC that was a total failure with 12.4 whql drivers....crashed in every game inside 2 minutes.....

thought what the hell and installed these betas.......winning!:D

have a XFX HD 6950 2GB running max payne 3 on catalyst 12.4 whql and 12.6 BETA CAP1. Smooth performance at 1080p maxed out with FXAA. So I don't know whether they are all driver related.

Hmm......ive tried installing these but every time it pops up in CCC as being version 12.4 instead of 12.6. I've done the safe mode, drive sweeper method but it still shows 12.4....

Am I missing something?

Well, assuming im doing everything right...these drivers are no mas for trifire 6970s...cause massive stuttering.

have a XFX HD 6950 2GB running max payne 3 on catalyst 12.4 whql and 12.6 BETA CAP1. Smooth performance at 1080p maxed out with FXAA. So I don't know whether they are all driver related.

You are correct, my CF 7970 computer is running fine on the 12.4/beta CAP1 in Max Payne3.....but this 6950 of mine was a wash until I installed these betas.......curious.

Back