AMD Cat 12.6 "JUNE 6" Unoffical Beta release

eclypse

2[H]4U
These must of just came out.. Get them here

The shocker?? I CAN FINALLY PLAY USING QUAD-FIRE!!!!

Holy crap!! Just got done testing out BF3 maxed out and everything turned on in Eyefinity 6120x1080 @120hz using Quad-Fire on a 64 multiplayer server with 0 issues!!!

Crazy right? Only 5+ months to get this done.. The last 12.6 offical beta i could'nt get tri-fire to work without the cards not clocking right. These no probs.

Used the latest AB to comfirm that i'm getting 80-90% usage out of all 4 cards and all runing the same 3D clocks.. :)

I'm in shock!!

Holy cow.. i can finally use my damn computer!

Holt crap Im doqnloading now and gonna try my Tri-Fire rig, I might get a 4th card if this works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nvidia took a year with the 580 in sli for Vista OS.
5 months is then nothing. ;)
Good it works tho.

Its now as fucking smooth as if i was playing a single monitor no shit! I'm not even currently overclocking the system at all and the cards are runing stock as i test.. Metro was always murder on my settings even when i ran the system at 5Ghz and the TriFire heavily overclocked.. Its a total dream come true and holy cow what awaits when i overclock this. :)

Thank you for updating everyone eclypse. I was actually in the process of packaging up my 7970s when I thought I would double check one last time.

Just to confirm, you are getting full gpu utilization? 99% across the cards?

Thanks again.

Its close (80-90+) but my system is only clocked at 3.9ghz "Stock" atm and i'm sure once i run it overclocked, (5Ghz) it will once again show 99% across all cards.

I could really keep everything stock its runing that good! lol.. Never ran this smooth back when.. really the only time i remember BF3 runing this good was when i only had 1 screen used not eyefinity.

I did nothing fancy to get this installed either.. Just did that driver uninstall in the control panel, rebooted and installed the new driver.

Just make sure if your using afterburner to first totally uninstall it before, uninstall the Cats, then reinstall them and make sure overdrive settings in CC is disabled and then install Afterburner so theres no conflicts.

kudos to the driver team to get this done. Sadly, I got tired of waiting and sold off my 3 cards.

kudos to the driver team to get this done. Sadly, I got tired of waiting and sold off my 3 cards.
I was about to sell off my 7970s right now in tri fire all 3 run at 1100/1700 without any voltage bumps. I really want to sell one and get a 7990 for some quad fire goodness. The only thing that is underperforming is 3dmark but heaven scores went up.

heh i'd say as long as its finally working as thats a good start.. performance tweaking on the next round.

You dont have room for 4 cards? Would be faster if you would do 4 cards insted of 2 dual cards..cheaper to just grab another card then the double card.. overclocking prob faster to boot.

Nice.. i'll give that a look over..

Just got done playing a 4 hour run of BF3 in Quad-Fire/Eyefinity with everything maxed screen res at 6120x1080 @ 120hz with the cards overclocked at 1200Mhz/1800Mhz ram and HELL YEAH BABY! Now thats what i'm talking about! lol Silky smooth!! Loving it!!

eclypse. Told you.

12.6 beta working fine for me also: 4X7970 Quad-Fire (all 4 cards at 1250/1600) + 7680X1600 3X30'' Eyefinity. Super-smooth, no more screen tearing, every games I have are working fine.

Told everyone when 12.6 came out. But... thank you eclypse for telling us 1 week later? :)

Nice.. i'll give that a look over..

Just got done playing a 4 hour run of BF3 in Quad-Fire/Eyefinity with everything maxed screen res at 6120x1080 @ 120hz with the cards overclocked at 1200Mhz/1800Mhz ram and HELL YEAH BABY! Now thats what i'm talking about! lol Silky smooth!! Loving it!!

Eclypse, thank's for the good news. Is it really that smooth, even in BF3? (which is notorious for having Surround/Eyefinity smoothness issues). No noticeable stutter, jerkyness?

I plan on getting two of the HIS 7970 X2 for Quad-Fire card's to run a 5x1 portrait setup. Hopefully it will be possible with these new drivers.

I would go with 4x 7970's but there are no other cards besides the HIS X2 that can run five 1440P+ monitors or five 120Hz monitors.

Last edited:
Ha, I was just about to send my second 7970 back...looks like I got some testing to do this weekend!

Eclypse, thank's for the good news. Is it really that smooth, even in BF3? (which is notorious for having Surround/Eyefinity smoothness issues). No noticeable stutter, jerkyness?

I plan on getting two of the HIS 7970 X2 for Quad-Fire card's to run a 5x1 portrait setup. Hopefully it will be possible with these new drivers.

I would go with 4x 7970's but there are no other cards besides the HIS X2 that can run five 1440P+ monitors or five 120Hz monitors.

Yes its very smooth like how great it is on a single screen! Never seen anything that smooth period in the past and i've had 4 480s and 4 580s and now 4 7970s.

No idea if it will still be that good with 5 screens as i've only tried 3 but i would think theres a pretty good chance!

How bout other games besides bf3? how does crysis run? how bout mafia 2?

I mean did they just fix bf3 or do you have the same smooth results across the board with other games?

Damn. If this is true, I may just go with a second Radeon HD 7970.

I tried the first 12.6 beta release on my son's CF 7970 computer and they were bad.

Maybe these are better,

They are from Guru3D correct?

How bout other games besides bf3? how does crysis run? how bout mafia 2?

I mean did they just fix bf3 or do you have the same smooth results across the board with other games?

Seconded. We want Answers, or we burn eclypse at the stake if it's not smooth! :D

eclypse can you run some timed benchmarks with fraps to show some real numbers by chance?

You'll have to wait for all that as i have a wedding today and a barbecue tommorrow. Tuesday if i have the energy.

I can now vouch that two 7970s in crossfire KICK ALL SORTS OF ASS in eyefinity!!!!

I am running three samsung s27a750s @ 5760x1080 120hz with a sniper 3 mobo, 3770k ocd to 4.5ghz and crossfire is running like butter with these new drivers! So far I have tested BF3, Mafia II, & Crysis and its running as smooth as a single card :eek:

Take a look at my GPU usage in crysis with these drivers:
crysisgpuusage2.jpg

Now compare that to my GPU usage with crisis using the 12.6 drivers & cap1
crysisgpuusage.png

HUUUUUGE DIFFERENCE HUH :cool:

And look at how saweet BF3 GPU usage now puuuurs with these drivers:
BF3GPUUSAGE2.jpg

Eclypse you are a true multi-gpu Senator & Statesman. Thank you very, very much for this driver find. I was just about to send my second 7970 back until I saw your thread. :D

Last edited:
How about 6990 in eyefin? AMD cant possibly skip over the worlds fastest GPU?

Haha well it was the fastest until the GTX690 atleast.

Still ... if they really got these drivers smooth on all accounts for other games and not just BF3 I am sold. I am going to sell my 6990 and stick with AMD and get a bunch of 7970's pr even just add a 6970 to my 90 and go back to trifire.

It was so bad back in the day that I was even quadfire at one point and sold my two addtl 6970's.

Yep all 3 of my 7970s are running sweet on Bf3, Crysis, F1-2011, I just need to fire up batman AC, Metro is perfect as well.

Eclypse what is the Absut best Mobo and CPU combo for 4 7970s? I'm running a 2600k at 4800 MHz on a Asus Maximus board but it only has 3 pic express slots at 8/16/16

Eclypse what is the Absut best Mobo and CPU combo for 4 7970s? I'm running a 2600k at 4800 MHz on a Asus Maximus board but it only has 3 pic express slots at 8/16/16

The Asus Rampage IV Extreme is the best right now, paired with a 3960X or 3930K.

Tha't what I'm using with my 4X 7970. Rock-stable.

12.6 beta has also eliminated all screen-tearing for me on my 2 ZR30W on the sides. And yes Crysis is working fine and smooooooth. Just like Metro 2033, BF3, Warhammer Space Martine, Stalker COP, Deus EX HR. Tried all those games with 12.6 beta without any problems. Smooth like butter. :)

An ASUS workstation board would be a good choice too.

I think H reviewed one just recently.:D

@ I88......are you using Afterburner to OC your cards?

These drivers sure do give a smooth experience in BF3, running native res on my eyefinity setup and never drops below 30. Crossfire will be good whn the second card comes in.

But..... anyone noticing some sudden artifacting in BF3 with these drivers? I'm getting occasional purple or black blobs on the sides of my left and right screens, most so when there's shadows or dark areas.

An ASUS workstation board would be a good choice too.

I think H reviewed one just recently.:D

@ I88......are you using Afterburner to OC your cards?

Ya, so far got 1175 stable with AB

These drivers sure do give a smooth experience in BF3, running native res on my eyefinity setup and never drops below 30. Crossfire will be good whn the second card comes in.

But..... anyone noticing some sudden artifacting in BF3 with these drivers? I'm getting occasional purple or black blobs on the sides of my left and right screens, most so when there's shadows or dark areas.
Is your Vram OCd too high? No blobs here.

Back