AMD 7000 series driver update VR fix

funkydmunky

2[H]4U
Last week AMD 7000 series driver stated VR fix. I know it is a hard find as discussed in earlier posts, but does anyone have a link to anyone testing these new found developments?

At this time no, neither does ChatGPU as a curiosity. Looks like VR benchmarking in general has fallen to the wayside.

Welcome back! What would you like to chat about?
VR testing AMD 7900 XTX with 23.7.1 drivers?
Searching for: VR testing AMD 7900 XTX with 23.7.1 drivers
Generating answers for you…
The AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 23.7.1 release notes mention that certain virtual reality games or applications may encounter suboptimal performance or occasional stuttering on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs1. However, I couldn’t find any specific information about VR testing with AMD 7900 XTX and 23.7.1 drivers. Could you please clarify your question?

At this time no, neither does ChatGPU as a curiosity. Looks like VR benchmarking in general has fallen to the wayside.

Welcome back! What would you like to chat about?
VR testing AMD 7900 XTX with 23.7.1 drivers?
Searching for: VR testing AMD 7900 XTX with 23.7.1 drivers
Generating answers for you…
The AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 23.7.1 release notes mention that certain virtual reality games or applications may encounter suboptimal performance or occasional stuttering on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs1. However, I couldn’t find any specific information about VR testing with AMD 7900 XTX and 23.7.1 drivers. Could you please clarify your question?
Yes agreed and very sad for the community. I would hope the 7000 series would at least generationaly equal the expected uplift of the new arch and not back peddle.
I am pretty sure AMD has had a HW issue at this point as we are far into the product cycle with no explainable relief. 6000 series, while not busting NVIDIA's balls is working well. I would LOVE to see some #'s of the new driver though.
Seems the public has deemed VR a fad to me.

It's a shame as I have 7900 XTX and had a ton of fun in Elite Dangerous VR.

Yes agreed and very sad for the community. I would hope the 7000 series would at least generationaly equal the expected uplift of the new arch and not back peddle.
I am pretty sure AMD has had a HW issue at this point as we are far into the product cycle with no explainable relief. 6000 series, while not busting NVIDIA's balls is working well. I would LOVE to see some #'s of the new driver though.

You have a 7900 card? Why not run your own benchmarks and put up the results here? Run some games/VR benchmarks with an older AMD driver set and run the same benchmarks with the drivers containing the fix. I believe there were specific games where the stuttering happened all the time. I think Moss was one. Check around and see what other games showed up the AMD driver issues the most and test them with the old and new drivers. It would help you get a better picture and help other people wondering about buying an AMD card for VR.

It's a shame as I have 7900 XTX and had a ton of fun in Elite Dangerous VR.

Or maybe one of you two could do some comparison benchmarks between old and new drivers. Maybe if you start a VR benchmarking thread other people would post their results. Not been smart or anything like that. If there is really no VR benchmarks out there and you are going to be doing some quick benchmarks between the new and old drivers anyway, then maybe just flesh it out a bit and post the results on a thread here. It might not be the most popular thread on the internet and might be slow to pick up, but I am sure some people will find it helpful.

Just a thought :)

I am not so sure about that. VR itself is growing however PCVR doesn't seem to be. Even with the most optimistic figures, the number of PCVR users is tiny. Going by Steam there only seems to be around 2.7 million PCVR gamers. You wouldn't want look at the concurrent numbers as that's totally depressing!! There just isn't the numbers in PCVR for anyone outside of enthusiasts to really care. The only real AAA titles on PCVR were heavily subsidised by Meta or Valve.

PCVR is a niche. I am not saying it's dead or that it's going to die, just that the bulk of VR users now and moving forward will be people using the likes of the Quest 2. Standalone VR is where it's at.

That's why you are seeing less and less PCVR benchmarks and slow driver fixes for PCVR problems. The numbers just aren't there for them to worry about it.

You have a 7900 card? Why not run your own benchmarks and put up the results here? Run some games/VR benchmarks with an older AMD driver set and run the same benchmarks with the drivers containing the fix. I believe there were specific games where the stuttering happened all the time. I think Moss was one. Check around and see what other games showed up the AMD driver issues the most and test them with the old and new drivers. It would help you get a better picture and help other people wondering about buying an AMD card for VR.

Or maybe one of you two could do some comparison benchmarks between old and new drivers. Maybe if you start a VR benchmarking thread other people would post their results. Not been smart or anything like that. If there is really no VR benchmarks out there and you are going to be doing some quick benchmarks between the new and old drivers anyway, then maybe just flesh it out a bit and post the results on a thread here. It might not be the most popular thread on the internet and might be slow to pick up, but I am sure some people will find it helpful.

Just a thought :)
Time, what is the benefit? I will pass on my experiences but that is a far cry from a professional report or benchmark. As for comparing drivers after updating, not likely.

The issue with VR games and so on is how many are release and their quality. Which leads one to play the more widely available and frequent non VR games.

The cost involved with PCVR for a good experience is way higher than PSVR and Quest -> killing PCVR?

I am not so sure about that. VR itself is growing however PCVR doesn't seem to be. Even with the most optimistic figures, the number of PCVR users is tiny. Going by Steam there only seems to be around 2.7 million PCVR gamers. You wouldn't want look at the concurrent numbers as that's totally depressing!! There just isn't the numbers in PCVR for anyone outside of enthusiasts to really care. The only real AAA titles on PCVR were heavily subsidised by Meta or Valve.

PCVR is a niche. I am not saying it's dead or that it's going to die, just that the bulk of VR users now and moving forward will be people using the likes of the Quest 2. Standalone VR is where it's at.

That's why you are seeing less and less PCVR benchmarks and slow driver fixes for PCVR problems. The numbers just aren't there for them to worry about it.
I imagined PCVR would/is king of SIM's as it rightly should be. Combined with PC VR enthusiasts overall and I thought the numbers would be substantial.

Time, what is the benefit? I will pass on my experiences but that is a far cry from a professional report or benchmark. As for comparing drivers after updating, not likely.

The issue with VR games and so on is how many are release and their quality. Which leads one to play the more widely available and frequent non VR games.

The cost involved with PCVR for a good experience is way higher than PSVR and Quest -> killing PCVR?
I hear ya. Anything you pass on if/when will be appreciated.

Serious question here. Did you actually try to research this on reddit etc? Lot of people are reporting VR being pretty solid now. If anyone bothers to do a review I would expect it to be month+ out if they started right when the driver was released.

I mean they are literally mentioning it in the Fixed issues but your comment sounds like AMD is not doing anything and not explaining anything?

1690046314811.png

I would love to see a VR performance review with the 4000 series vs the 7000 series with the latest drivers. XTX's are getting close to half the price of the 4090, and if the VR performance is now only 10-15% slower and the games more stable, then it would be hard to justify all that extra money for not too much more performance.

I would love to see a VR performance review with the 4000 series vs the 7000 series with the latest drivers. XTX's are getting close to half the price of the 4090, and if the VR performance is now only 10-15% slower and the games more stable, then it would be hard to justify all that extra money for not too much more performance.
XTX is comparable to a 4080, not a 4090.

Serious question here. Did you actually try to research this on reddit etc? Lot of people are reporting VR being pretty solid now. If anyone bothers to do a review I would expect it to be month+ out if they started right when the driver was released.

I mean they are literally mentioning it in the Fixed issues but your comment sounds like AMD is not doing anything and not explaining anything?

View attachment 584970
Ya I have seen nothing definitive. You?
I would like to know the technical issue. What was the issue? Why did it take so long to fix? Is it fully fixed?
I miss old skool [H] where even back then they dropped in a basic VR bench. It was brilliant and so informative. I miss you [H] :(

I imagined PCVR would/is king of SIM's as it rightly should be. Combined with PC VR enthusiasts overall and I thought the numbers would be substantial.

Sim Enthusiasts are a niche of PC gamers. The ones with a VR headset are a niche within that niche. Ask any developer about the numbers in PCVR. When the Quest 2 came out, developers were reporting a 20x increase in revenue between selling on PCVR versus selling standalone. I don't the numbers are substantial at all :(

Ya I have seen nothing definitive. You?
I would like to know the technical issue. What was the issue? Why did it take so long to fix? Is it fully fixed?
I miss old skool [H] where even back then they dropped in a basic VR bench. It was brilliant and so informative. I miss you [H] :(
If it works and fixed do we really need to get in to nuts and bolts? Sure it had to do with new chiplet architecure they had to fine tune. It took so long cuz that is what was required. May be they just wanted to fine tune and test instead of doing half assed job.

Sim Enthusiasts are a niche of PC gamers. The ones with a VR headset are a niche within that niche. Ask any developer about the numbers in PCVR. When the Quest 2 came out, developers were reporting a 20x increase in revenue between selling on PCVR versus selling standalone. I don't the numbers are substantial at all :(

Was not Meta, underselling Quest 2 over a $100, undercutting any kind of PC headset, making entry point even lower for VR? When Meta increased price $100, even after several years of production was a pretty big tell tell sign what Facebook/Meta was doing to get VR more or less in their camp. How much subsidizing also went to the developers? The marketing Meta did on top of that? Meta R&D costs? In other words it was more than just being stand alone. Meta lost money for years by underselling, promoting, subsidizing etc. Undercutting any kind of competition. Who on the PC side has that kind of money to corner the market? No one besides Microsoft who did an half ass job throughout. Of course the Quest 2 will sell more games, they where almost giving them away for free way below actual manufacturing, R&D cost and other costs. Maybe just a new Apple in the making for VR.

If it works and fixed do we really need to get in to nuts and bolts? Sure it had to do with new chiplet architecure they had to fine tune. It took so long cuz that is what was required. May be they just wanted to fine tune and test instead of doing half assed job.
What works, what's fixed and to what degree? You are talking like you have a clue to the reality.

What works, what's fixed and to what degree? You are talking like you have a clue to the reality.

For that you gotta wait for someone to do testing. From actual user experience lot of people on reditt are reporting good results so if you don’t want to consider that all power to you.

Was not Meta, underselling Quest 2 over a $100, undercutting any kind of PC headset, making entry point even lower for VR? When Meta increased price $100, even after several years of production was a pretty big tell tell sign what Facebook/Meta was doing to get VR more or less in their camp. How much subsidizing also went to the developers? The marketing Meta did on top of that? Meta R&D costs? In other words it was more than just being stand alone. Meta lost money for years by underselling, promoting, subsidizing etc. Undercutting any kind of competition. Who on the PC side has that kind of money to corner the market? No one besides Microsoft who did an half ass job throughout. Of course the Quest 2 will sell more games, they where almost giving them away for free way below actual manufacturing, R&D cost and other costs. Maybe just a new Apple in the making for VR.

Undercutting what competition?
They created a new market, standalone VR. Made it cheap enough that it was mainstream accessable, sold 10s of millions of headsets, Quest 2 even outsold the Xbox.

The PCVR scene and especially Valve, benefited a ton from the cheap Q2. Tons of people could now play PCVR for $300 instead of spending $1000+.
Q2 is by far the most popular headset on Steam, with millions more people now buying and playing PCVR games that never would have before.

Valve doesn't make money off their headsets, they make money selling games for them on Steam. The reason Valve is dragging their feet releasing a new headset is because they love that Meta is subsidizing PCVR by making super cheap PCVR headsets. That's also the reason Meta rasised the price of the Q2 by $100. Too many people were using it to play PCVR and not buying enough standalone games through the Quest store so they weren't making enough of their money back.

People that buy $1000+ headsets don't care about the Q2, they're still going to buy their niche headsets. There is nothing competing with the Q2 in the USA. The only competition to Quest is Pico, which isn't sold in the US, and basically copying Quest in every way including selling it for cheaper and hoping to make it up in sales on their store.

Undercutting what competition?
They created a new market, standalone VR. Made it cheap enough that it was mainstream accessable, sold 10s of millions of headsets, Quest 2 even outsold the Xbox.

The PCVR scene and especially Valve, benefited a ton from the cheap Q2. Tons of people could now play PCVR for $300 instead of spending $1000+.
Q2 is by far the most popular headset on Steam, with millions more people now buying and playing PCVR games that never would have before.

Valve doesn't make money off their headsets, they make money selling games for them on Steam. The reason Valve is dragging their feet releasing a new headset is because they love that Meta is subsidizing PCVR by making super cheap PCVR headsets. That's also the reason Meta rasised the price of the Q2 by $100. Too many people were using it to play PCVR and not buying enough standalone games through the Quest store so they weren't making enough of their money back.

People that buy $1000+ headsets don't care about the Q2, they're still going to buy their niche headsets. There is nothing competing with the Q2 in the USA. The only competition to Quest is Pico, which isn't sold in the US, and basically copying Quest in every way including selling it for cheaper and hoping to make it up in sales on their store.
Yep, you substantiated my small point, thanks for the clarification.

For that you gotta wait for someone to do testing. From actual user experience lot of people on reditt are reporting good results so if you don’t want to consider that all power to you.
I am considering everything. Lots of reports of lack of frame spikes, yet we don't know how that compares to equivalent Nvidia cards at the same price. Loosing frame spike but running 25% slower isn't a win. Yes you are right we will have to wait for review testing.

Performance is definitely fixed for me on the 7900 XTX, blows away my 6800 XT and 3060 ti did on the HP Reverb G2. I can''t speak to this guys issues with the Oculus but running at higher than native res everything looks far sharper and better than any prior GPU I've had.

Performance is definitely fixed for me on the 7900 XTX, blows away my 6800 XT and 3060 ti did on the HP Reverb G2. I can''t speak to this guys issues with the Oculus but running at higher than native res everything looks far sharper and better than any prior GPU I've had.
So far the same for me. HTC VivePro 2, 120hz 36xx something resolution per eye, 150% over native. Alice max settings and it had no problems maintaining 120 fps.

I could not do 90fps with the 3090 with same resolution and settings, had to reduce super sampling or more exactly go native at 25xx x 25xx and reduce game settings for 120 fps.

Beat saber ram flawless, spent about 3 hours in VR, zero uncomfortable feeling. In the past 2 hours was point of feeling bla, that was with the 3090.

Have to play more, with last night experience, most likely get heavy back into it. Have to test more games.

Far too many people blamed AMD for their VR issues when the reality of the situation was their headset software and/or firmware needed to be updated to function correctly with the DP on 7000 series. DP 1.4 required software trickery to support high resolution/refresh rate VR headsets to maximize throughput by using some of the blanking periods to push more data through and that broke the backwards compatibility for DP1.4 on 7000 series GPUs. AMD admitted their VR performance was subpar in some titles and that was all it took to instigate the blame game on them. Meanwhile all the headset manufacturers quietly worked on fixing their software/firmware while AMD absorbed the brunt of the malcontent. Anyway the July driver release gives a really massive boost to performance by my estimation approximately a 35% increase in VR performance in some time titles and 10%-20% or so in ones that worked well before. I'm getting 55-60FPS 150% SS on my 5K super in VR MSFS with very high settings so I couldn't be happier with the 7900 xtx's VR performance.

Far too many people blamed AMD for their VR issues when the reality of the situation was their headset software and/or firmware needed to be updated to function correctly with the DP on 7000 series. DP 1.4 required software trickery to support high resolution/refresh rate VR headsets to maximize throughput by using some of the blanking periods to push more data through and that broke the backwards compatibility for DP1.4 on 7000 series GPUs. AMD admitted their VR performance was subpar in some titles and that was all it took to instigate the blame game on them. Meanwhile all the headset manufacturers quietly worked on fixing their software/firmware while AMD absorbed the brunt of the malcontent. Anyway the July driver release gives a really massive boost to performance by my estimation approximately a 35% increase in VR performance in some time titles and 10%-20% or so in ones that worked well before. I'm getting 55-60FPS 150% SS on my 5K super in VR MSFS with very high settings so I couldn't be happier with the 7900 xtx's VR performanc

Seriously, can you stop quarterbacking for AMD over these problems? I told you once before to stop lumping all these issues into one. Manufacturers needing to update the headsets was a separate issue. AMD had two issues in VR a stuttering issue and a performance issue. The stuttering issue was a problem in some games. However the performance issues were universal to every game while using a 7900 card.

Those are facts. The 7900 cards weren't performing as they should in VR.

People proved that the drivers were the problem. AMD, themselves proved that the drivers were the problem when they released the fix a couple of months ago that solved both the stuttering and the performance issues. Or are you really trying to suggest that headset manufacturers all timed their firmware updates to exactly coincide with people updating their GPU drivers? LOL no, not a chance.

AMD deserved every bit of criticism they got for their VR performance. The problems were down to their drivers. Stop defending them over the indefensible.

Seriously, can you stop quarterbacking for AMD over these problems? I told you once before to stop lumping all these issues into one. Manufacturers needing to update the headsets was a separate issue. AMD had two issues in VR a stuttering issue and a performance issue. The stuttering issue was a problem in some games. However the performance issues were universal to every game while using a 7900 card.

Those are facts. The 7900 cards weren't performing as they should in VR.

People proved that the drivers were the problem. AMD, themselves proved that the drivers were the problem when they released the fix a couple of months ago that solved both the stuttering and the performance issues. Or are you really trying to suggest that headset manufacturers all timed their firmware updates to exactly coincide with people updating their GPU drivers? LOL no, not a chance.

AMD deserved every bit of criticism they got for their VR performance. The problems were down to their drivers. Stop defending them over the indefensible.
Not too hard to prove one way or another, just go back with old drivers. I just won’t waste time with that and enjoy the acceptable good performance now.

Back