AMD 5900X rumors

if it was only 5% better then a 3700x id still be buying the 5700x. Its been very difficult for me to skip the 3700x as is...

eFfmdb3.jpg

I hope they actually have stock on release unlike another company recently...

If the boost clocks are good on the 5800x, I'd probably go for that over the 5900x. Don't really need 12 cores.

Just updated the BIOS on my motherboard. I’m Zen 3 ready. Give me that 5900X!

im pissed i have to wait again for the 5950x to pop up. AMD did this last year with the 3950x... was last to be released. Makes a nerdy mofo like myself mad AF!

This will be the first time I am getting an AMD processor since early 2000's. Super excited about it especially coming from 4790K. Now I have to decide whether to go with existing motherboards or get 600 series.....

I'll be going for the 5800X...which I'm assuming will cost around the same as the 3800X

5ghz and 10-15% IPC over Zen 2????

I said this in the Ampere thread and I'm saying it again... don't need it but want it...

Lets see what happens..

Pretty impressive gains if accurate. Makes me want to upgrade my 3900x even though I'll likely see little real-world benefit

Alright, this has convinced me to wait before buying anything new. An improved 3700x with similar TDP and large number of cores would be ideal for my use case.

So what do you guys think, worth “upgrading” from 9900k@5 ghz all core to a 5900x and ASUS Strix X570?

edit: well just read about x670 and ddr5 by the end of the year so I guess I’ll hang on to the 9900k awhile longer.

Last edited:
So what do you guys think, worth “upgrading” from 9900k@5 ghz all core to a 5900x and ASUS Strix X570?

edit: well just read about x670 and ddr5 by the end of the year so I guess I’ll hang on to the 9900k awhile longer.

I have no idea where you're getting this DDR5 stuff by the end of the year. Zen 3 hasn't even been released and it's DDR4. We won't see DDR5 until Zen 4 or whatever they decide to call the next iteration and I'd be surprised to see that before the beginning of 2022. Even then I wouldn't even bother with the first implementation of DDR5 unless there are massive improvements in the CPU as it's rarely ever of much benefit to go for the first generation of new RAM unless you have a lot of extra money to blow. If there's even any additional performance, which is not always the case, the chance of it being worth the price premium is not good.

I have no idea where you're getting this DDR5 stuff by the end of the year. Zen 3 hasn't even been released and it's DDR4. We won't see DDR5 until Zen 4 or whatever they decide to call the next iteration and I'd be surprised to see that before the beginning of 2022. Even then I wouldn't even bother with the first implementation of DDR5 unless there are massive improvements in the CPU as it's rarely ever of much benefit to go for the first generation of new RAM unless you have a lot of extra money to blow. If there's even any additional performance, which is not always the case, the chance of it being worth the price premium is not good.

Mainly read about it here https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-9-5900x-12-core-24-thread-zen-3-cpu-benchmark-leak-out/

And? It's still not DDR5 or AM5. Zen3 is DDR4 and AM4.

AM4 is almost done and so it wouldn’t make sense for me to switch now with ddr5 and am5 about a year out. I said end of the year for ddr5 which I guess I misread but still 1 year doesn’t seem worth it for a soon to be eol socket.

Last edited:
AM4 is almost done and so it wouldn’t make sense for me to switch now with ddr5 and am5 about a year out. I said end of the year for ddr5 which I guess I misread but still 1 year doesn’t seem worth it for a soon to be eol socket.
I mean, really with a 9900k @ 5ghz, you're probably better off just sticking with what you have for a bit. But complaining that a platform only has a little over a year left on it.. when you have a 9900k that was EOL socket when it came out, seems a bit silly for reasoning (unless of course you had a z370/z390 or something that you upgraded from 8th gen to 9th gen?) Anyways, regardless of that, if you just game, it probably won't be worth buying an entire new platform. If you do a lot more with cores, really hard to say without know what it is and seeing benchmarks.

I'm curious to see a.) if that 150w TDP is accurate or if it was supposed to read 105w, and b.) if the 5700x/5800x are a single CCD as those would probably be the sweet spot for me (I currently run 3700x).

With the state of the world with the covid19 and slow to get manufacturing and more ports open for delivery, how do you think they mass manufacture DDR5 to get it to an affordable point in the next year? Power Supplies can't get here fast enough, DDR5? I wouldn't be surprised if DDR5 is delayed on both sides for another generation. 16GB DDR5 at $300 wouldn't surprise me at launch. IMO I don't think it is going to be all that important next year. Might launch, but won't be in high demand. Mass layoffs across the globe are starting now. We will see where the world economy is in 2021....

I mean, really with a 9900k @ 5ghz, you're probably better off just sticking with what you have for a bit. But complaining that a platform only has a little over a year left on it.. when you have a 9900k that was EOL socket when it came out, seems a bit silly for reasoning (unless of course you had a z370/z390 or something that you upgraded from 8th gen to 9th gen?) Anyways, regardless of that, if you just game, it probably won't be worth buying an entire new platform. If you do a lot more with cores, really hard to say without know what it is and seeing benchmarks.

I'm curious to see a.) if that 150w TDP is accurate or if it was supposed to read 105w, and b.) if the 5700x/5800x are a single CCD as those would probably be the sweet spot for me (I currently run 3700x).

Well I built the 9900k setup in 2018 when my 7700k had reached its limits and I needed something better right away. That isn’t the case this time that’s why I’d rather not jump on another eol socket. I was about to grab an X570 board before I read about AM5–I admittedly don’t follow the AMD cpu side of things that closely. For me it’s important I get an AMD mobo socket that will last 2-3 years with upgrades since I have hardline watercooling and changing up all the lines in just one year wouldn’t be ideal. Yeah I could hold off on upgrading but I know if there was a 6900x I’d want it even if it was only 10% faster.

Last edited:

Depends on your case usage and how much you would gain... But TBH it's just gonna be better all around and feature PCIE 4.0. I'd wait for benchmarks regardless before you make up your mind. 10900K is faster than the 9900k and 5900x will beat the 10900k so that gives you an idea.

I honestly want to see that 150W TDP because it means that the CPU will likely have more room for overclocking. I mean if it beats the 10900k at the stock 5ghz single core boost, How much MORE would it win if you could squeeze out a 5.2ghz all-core OC?? At idle the 5900x should consume way less than the max TDP rating so I'm not that worried about power consumption. It also helps that I have a premium 850W platinum PSU hehe.

Well I built the 9900k setup in 2018 when my 7700k had reached its limits and I needed something better right away. That isn’t the case this time that’s why I’d rather not jump on another eol socket. I was about to grab an X570 board before I read about AM5–I admittedly don’t follow the AMD cpu side of things that closely. For me it’s important I get an AMD mobo socket that will last 2-3 years with upgrades since I have hardline watercooling and changing up all the lines in just one year wouldn’t be ideal. Yeah I could hold off on upgrading but I know if there was a 6900x I’d want it even if it was only 10% faster.
Understandable, just seemed odd ;). If you'd of bought AM4 instead of the 9900k, you'd still have a platform to upgrade ;). Then again, your games would have been running slower the entire time (not sure what else you do, so possibly some things would have worked better). It's understandable, just an odd statement seeing what you currently have, but it makes sense given the context.

I honestly want to see that 150W TDP because it means that the CPU will likely have more room for overclocking. I mean if it beats the 10900k at the stock 5ghz single core boost, How much MORE would it win if you could squeeze out a 5.2ghz all-core OC?? At idle the 5900x should consume way less than the max TDP rating so I'm not that worried about power consumption. It also helps that I have a premium 850W platinum PSU hehe.
105w vs 150w for overclocking? Why would something pushed to 150w overclock better than something that's sipping power at 105w? If anything there is more room at 105w to overclock because you can turn up the voltage. If it's 150w just to hit stock clocks, that doesn't leave much room for OC. I think you've got it backwards ;).
My mini ITX has a 1000w PSU, it's not the PSU I'd be concerned about, it's the amount of heat I have to remove from my case. I mean, really I'm not that concerned personally, but in general that's the concern ;).

I've waited for 3950s to drop to $500 and it doesn't seem like they ever will. I'll be looking to get whatever new CPU falls in at $499, assuming double digit IPC gains.

My mini ITX has a 1000w PSU, it's not the PSU I'd be concerned about, it's the amount of heat I have to remove from my case. I mean, really I'm not that concerned personally, but in general that's the concern ;).
Is that a regular ATX form factor PSU? I am trying to find a SFX psu with more than 750w. I think corsair is the only one that even makes standard SFX 750w and its OOS everywhere I can find it.

Is that a regular ATX form factor PSU? I am trying to find a SFX psu with more than 750w. I think corsair is the only one that even makes standard SFX 750w and its OOS everywhere I can find it.
Yeah, it's a normal ATX... All 3 of my ITX cases are full size ATX PSUs and all can fit at least 280mm dual slot GPU. The 1000w is in a 10.1L case, full size GPU and a 120mm aio. When I get some $$ together I'll be putting in a 360mm custom loop (1x 240mm and 1 120mm) in that little guy. I've avoided SFX and others this far. I'll take a ~0.5L larger case to be able to just throw any old PSU in it.

Yeah, it's a normal ATX... All 3 of my ITX cases are full size ATX PSUs and all can fit at least 280mm dual slot GPU. The 1000w is in a 10.1L case, full size GPU and a 120mm aio. When I get some $$ together I'll be putting in a 360mm custom loop (1x 240mm and 1 120mm) in that little guy. I've avoided SFX and others this far. I'll take a ~0.5L larger case to be able to just throw any old PSU in it.

What case do you have? Thats smaller than an ncase m1 and I can't even fit an SFX-L PSU with a 285mm GPU.

I saw this same kind of talk when Zen 2 was about to come out. What makes you think you are gonna get an all core OC even close to that? with Zen2 you have max boost for single core going up to 4.7 but you can't even get close to that (4.3 ish) for all core OC.
My guess is that just like previous Zen overclocking is pretty much a moot point unless your workload is all thread all the time and then a modest all core overclock is in your favor. If your workload is mixed you will be losing out by overclocking period.
My expectation is you will be lucky to get 4.5 GHZ all core OC on Zen3

Back