AMD 2.4 to 2.6 ?

sinplicity

n00b
Trying to decide on the AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego @ 2.4, 1GHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache or the AMD Athlon 64 FX55 San Diego @ 2.6 1GHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache. Is the $443.00 extra worth it?

Its going into my
Q-pack
MSI 939 RX480
4 gig Crucial
2X Raptor 10,000 hard drives
X850XT PE pci-E
480 watt power supply

Ty

Get the 4000+. Since you aren't going to be doing hardcore benching (you have the ATi board and video card) the added power and cost of the FX-55 is unneeded.

wait why is this in video cards?

w00t IBTM!!!:p

(M = move)

4000+ is definitely your better buy. The extra $400 will only get you a healthy dose of buyer's remorse. The only other option I would consider if I were you is a X2 of some kind....4800 or 4600.

now all I do is game on my pc, so wouldn't I be smarter going with a single core over the dual in my case?

And thanks for the replies guys.

sinplicity said:
now all I do is game on my pc, so wouldn't I be smarter going with a single core over the dual in my case?

And thanks for the replies guys.

only if you want to save money

*noob alert.

and what about the amd 64 4200 san diego? its 2.6 ghz and much more cheaper than the fx55.
im about to buy a game-pc with a 4000+ 2.4ghz san diego or an 4200+ 2.6ghz sandiego. what should i do?

ATM, there is no reason to buy an X2 for gaming. However, F.E.A.R. is supposed to support DC procs, and I think a few others coming out soon will do as well. That being said, I run the fear demo on my rig at 1600x1200, max details, 4xAA/16xAF at 40+FPS. So, it's not like you NEED to get a DC proc. But, since you are building a rig, I would go ahead and get one. Otherwise, you'll be upgrading again in the spring/summer next year.

One other thing, doing 4 gigs of RAM will force you to run a 2T command rate, which will cost you mega peformance. Just grab some of the OCZ low latency(2-3-2-5) 2x1gb kits, those will be more than enough for a LONG time.

San Diego 4200+? I've never seen it. But yes, it would be the equivalent of an FX-55 since they are both 2.6Ghz 1mb cache. As always, save money by going with non-FX San Diego CPU's :) (especially since the newer FX chips are San Diegos anyway).

4000+ Newark 2.6Ghz 1MB L2 Cache 90mm 1.35V 388$ Soket 754 ;)

I am confident that this baby will do 3GHZ easy

And Soket 754 has like 11 pci Express boards if u want to use PCI Express

Contact VandiAMD on AIM to get one...HIS SN IS VandiAMD

thanks for the advice guys. I decided to go with the 4000+
And sorry but whats this about (doing 4 gigs of RAM will force you to run a 2T command rate)

sinplicity said:
thanks for the advice guys. I decided to go with the 4000+
And sorry but whats this about (doing 4 gigs of RAM will force you to run a 2T command rate)

Running four sticks of ram with an Athlon64 forces it to run a 2t commend rate, its a limitation of the memory controller. In real world performance though, that probably looses you 1-2fps in your games, no big deal. I think, more importantly, is that 4GB of ram is stupidly overkill. If you havent purcahsed it yet, go with 2x1GB and save some money.

well thanks for the tip, I just figured I would fill the extra slots since I am upgrading anyway. But why spend more to lose FPS. 2X1gig it is then.

sinplicity said:
well thanks for the tip, I just figured I would fill the extra slots since I am upgrading anyway. But why spend more to lose FPS. 2X1gig it is then.

Might I reccomend these then. They have some very good overclocking potential if you plan on doing such, and if not they have the lowest stock timings you'll find on 1GB sticks, and they are dirt cheap.

little weirded out here, that is the exact RAM I just ordered. Viper we aren't long lost twins are we :D

sinplicity said:
little weirded out here, that is the exact RAM I just ordered. Viper we aren't long lost twins are we :D

Perhaps we are...or perhaps you just know how to do your homework ;) Sweet ram, trust me.

Although, when you get it, check the color of the PCB. Green PCB = old chips = not so good OCer. Red PCB = new chips = awesome overclocking. I baught a stick last week and one this week, and both were reds, so you should be fine.

Back