Since the other thread was closed and I did not find another thread and I wanted to share my feelings on the game so far. I have played a couple hours in so far and I have to say that I am enjoying it.
I would like to get the negative points out of the way first. The game looks unimpressive. It doesn't necessarily look bad but it doesn't look all that good either. It looks good in some places like your safe houses, but very average in the levels. Character models are average, and some of the animations look a little awkward like moving crouched.
The sound is decent, but the voice acting could certainly be better. Its not bad either but its nowhere near Mass Effect standards. It gets the job done but with better voice actors the dynamic dialog options would be much more entertaining.
The game has been fairly stable for me, more stable than my current addiction (Bad Company 2) has been. The only annoyance I have received is every now and then the camera freaks out for a second or two.
Despite all of this we get to the part where I think this game really shines. The actual gameplay. Despite the fact that it looks like a third person action game, it is definitely more along the lines of a third person RPG with action elements. To me it feels like Obsidian combined KOTOR2 and Morrowind to create the gameplay elements. You have direct control over your character in a Morrowind fashion, however the outcome of the action is partly based on your characters skill. The perspective is more like KOTOR2 in the third person aspect. This game cannot be played as a normal shooter and is not nearly as fast paced. Actions are slow and deliberate to be effective.
The RPG system is well realized and IMHO very well done considering its implementation into a modern day environment which is usually associated with an FPS. Obsidian had to balance what we would normally expect from an RPG and encorporate it into a realistic setting. While you don't have the ability to allot points into str, dex, con etc you do have the ability to allot points into different weapon proficiencies and skills, which in turn unlock additional toggleable abilities much in the way you could in Mass Effect. Only in AP each individual point seems to make more of a difference than just +1 to pistols. Sometimes its additional ammo, or accuracy or damage as you progress. AP really shines in the itemization and customization areas. I really enjoy the depth at which you can buy components and weapons from the clearinghouse.
If I had to score the game I would give it an 82%.
I would like to get the negative points out of the way first. The game looks unimpressive. It doesn't necessarily look bad but it doesn't look all that good either. It looks good in some places like your safe houses, but very average in the levels. Character models are average, and some of the animations look a little awkward like moving crouched.
The sound is decent, but the voice acting could certainly be better. Its not bad either but its nowhere near Mass Effect standards. It gets the job done but with better voice actors the dynamic dialog options would be much more entertaining.
The game has been fairly stable for me, more stable than my current addiction (Bad Company 2) has been. The only annoyance I have received is every now and then the camera freaks out for a second or two.
Despite all of this we get to the part where I think this game really shines. The actual gameplay. Despite the fact that it looks like a third person action game, it is definitely more along the lines of a third person RPG with action elements. To me it feels like Obsidian combined KOTOR2 and Morrowind to create the gameplay elements. You have direct control over your character in a Morrowind fashion, however the outcome of the action is partly based on your characters skill. The perspective is more like KOTOR2 in the third person aspect. This game cannot be played as a normal shooter and is not nearly as fast paced. Actions are slow and deliberate to be effective.
The RPG system is well realized and IMHO very well done considering its implementation into a modern day environment which is usually associated with an FPS. Obsidian had to balance what we would normally expect from an RPG and encorporate it into a realistic setting. While you don't have the ability to allot points into str, dex, con etc you do have the ability to allot points into different weapon proficiencies and skills, which in turn unlock additional toggleable abilities much in the way you could in Mass Effect. Only in AP each individual point seems to make more of a difference than just +1 to pistols. Sometimes its additional ammo, or accuracy or damage as you progress. AP really shines in the itemization and customization areas. I really enjoy the depth at which you can buy components and weapons from the clearinghouse.
If I had to score the game I would give it an 82%.