Alleged Apple M1X Processor Specifications Surface

https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-apple_m1-1804-vs-amd_ryzen_7_4800u-1142

Ahead in cinebench R23 multi-core, exact same in geekbench 5, both 15 watts
So R7 wins in multicore R23 (an easy win because it is 16T vs 8T and Cinebench has been a highly favorable workload for Zen muarches since launch), but ties on GB5 multicore and looses in single core R23 and GB5 and also loses in iGPU. And you quote 15W marketing label when one is a SoC and the other is an APU? Color me impressed

From AT review, that luckily for us tested the R7-4800U:

In the overall multi-core scores, the Apple M1 is extremely impressive. On integer workloads, it still seems that AMD’s more recent Renoir-based designs beat the M1 in performance, but only in the integer workloads and at a notably higher TDP and power consumption.

Overall, Apple doesn’t just deliver a viable silicon alternative to AMD and Intel, but actually something that’s well outperforms them both in absolute performance as well as power efficiency.

The M1 undisputedly outperforms the core performance of everything Intel has to offer, and battles it with AMD’s new Zen3, winning some, losing some. And in the mobile space in particular, there doesn’t seem to be an equivalent in either ST or MT performance – at least within the same power budgets.

It'll be nice when we start seeing that power in non-Apple OSes. I don't have anything against MacOS but the software I use at my day job isn't available on the Mac at all, so the great performance envelope isn't useful to me. (Not to mention the whole desktop gaming issue, either.)
Desktop gaming is a huge topic for me as well.

Native windows and some more expandability would make the system a whole lot more attractive for me.

It is very nice to see improvements in technology and the M1 certainly seems to be worthy of praise. I would really like to see how well it performs at other tasks then just logic. What happens if you open 100 chrome and safari tabs for example?

Desktop gaming is a huge topic for me as well.

Native windows and some more expandability would make the system a whole lot more attractive for me.

It is very nice to see improvements in technology and the M1 certainly seems to be worthy of praise. I would really like to see how well it performs at other tasks then just logic. What happens if you open 100 chrome and safari tabs for example?

The fact that new consoles just released on x86 means that your desktop gaming PC is going to be tied to x86 for at least the next 7 years.

The fact that new consoles just released on x86 means that your desktop gaming PC is going to be tied to x86 for at least the next 7 years.
Yes but, with a good development environment and a decent OS any software running should have no knowledge of the underlying processors' architecture. So if developed in an environment that knows how to compile for both X86 or ARM the same code base should be fully usable by both, the real question is how does the GPU stack up and how much manual work is there in developing something that also includes Apples Metal API.

So R7 wins in multicore R23 (an easy win because it is 16T vs 8T and Cinebench has been a highly favorable workload for Zen muarches since launch), but ties on GB5 multicore and looses in single core R23 and GB5 and also loses in iGPU. And you quote 15W marketing label when one is a SoC and the other is an APU? Color me impressed
The conversation was about being in the same realm of performance under 25 watt or in a different one, having more core help that in multi core workload obviously (but make it harder to keep it under/around 25 watt), it is not much about loosing/winning but being in the same type of performance tier or not. If the ethernet controller, ram and etc... make the comparison ridiculous (that possible) I am sorry to have mixing them.

If you look at the reviews you quote:
and battles it with AMD’s new Zen3, winning some, losing some.
In my initial comment:
Is a 4800U Renoir mobile apu in such a different class ?

That seem to make the question legitimate.

Intel is scared I bet.
Also Qualcomm and Microsoft. They've been trying and failing to push Windows on ARM for several years now, and Apple appears to have beaten both with its first try. The fight certainly isn't over, but I suspect Qualcomm and Microsoft are worried that Apple might rule personal computing on ARM (and carve out a larger slice of the computer market) if they can't respond quickly.

Also Qualcomm and Microsoft. They've been trying and failing to push Windows on ARM for several years now, and Apple appears to have beaten both with its first try. The fight certainly isn't over, but I suspect Qualcomm and Microsoft are worried that Apple might rule personal computing on ARM (and carve out a larger slice of the computer market) if they can't respond quickly.

It would be awesome if Microsoft released Windows for ARM/M1 that people can install.

Dont get me wrong I think Mac OS is pretty slick and has a lot going for it, it would be nice if dual boot or even just Windows boot were enabled. With x86 emulation this could allow Apple to jump into a much larger space for it's hardware.

I wouldn't count Apple out of AAA gaming quite yet. No they aren't going to end up with AAA titles today. But in a year... ya why not. Games are no different then any other software, frameworks are interoperable for the most part these days. Its easier then ever to recompile for a different arc... and hell 90% of game devs today aren't even using their own engines. If the big engine companies decide to allow compiling to Apples... it won't be that big a deal to see AAA titles on Macs. Although with Epic fighting it out with Apple... probably not either. lol Still if Apple moves a ton of machines in the next couple years, money talks, and install base is where the cheddar is.

I also wanted to note: Everything is on the chip and nothing is upgradeable. Ram - you buy 8gb you get only forever 8gb and it currently only goes up to 16gb.

I think the SSD is also soldered down on the board, so no upgrading on the new machiens. Period.

This was the main reason I didn't pull the trigger on one yet.

I wouldn't count Apple out of AAA gaming quite yet. No they aren't going to end up with AAA titles today. But in a year... ya why not. Games are no different then any other software, frameworks are interoperable for the most part these days. Its easier then ever to recompile for a different arc... and hell 90% of game devs today aren't even using their own engines. If the big engine companies decide to allow compiling to Apples... it won't be that big a deal to see AAA titles on Macs. Although with Epic fighting it out with Apple... probably not either. lol Still if Apple moves a ton of machines in the next couple years, money talks, and install base is where the cheddar is.
Apple Arcade is slowly gaining more users and more titles. So I can very see this as a thing.

I said it before, the M1 is a lot like a console.

If you look at the relative metrics with some slew

M1 cpu = 4800u cpu

M1's gpu at 2.7 gflops = 1.5 x 1.8 gflops 4800u 8cu vega1

In perspective the xbox series s (cut down version)

8 zen 2 cores with navi 2 20cu

cpus the same

M1's gpu at 2.7 gflops x 1.5 = 4 gflops xbox series s navi 2

An xbox series s level system would be a good fit for a M1x.

I said it before, the M1 is a lot like a console.

What is the possibility Apple could score a console contract when the next Gens hit? In 4-5 years when Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo start the design phase Apple will be on gen 2 or 3 of their ARM parts.

What is the possibility Apple could score a console contract when the next Gens hit? In 4-5 years when Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo start the design phase Apple will be on gen 2 or 3 of their ARM parts.
Apple wouldn't do it, it would dilute their brand, they would be far more likely to talk to the AAA studios to get them on board with the Apple Arcade platform or some service of that nature.

I agree with Lakados Apple won't ever go selling their hardware to other people to use. A Apple console ? Perhaps but probably not.

AMD doesn't have to worry about their console lock in... they should have the gen after this one locked down as well. However I wouldn't be so sure it goes x86..... AMD has been known to have ARM leanings as well. They went as far as designing a ARM based sister chip to Ryzen one. They just decided they needed to focus at the point they where at which was a wise business decision. In the future though... if Apple ARM really is selling and MS is scrambling to get windows ARM off the ground. I don't think its insane to see AMD and MS working together on a Ryzen ARM chip for both windows machines... and the next next gen console.

I agree with Lakados Apple won't ever go selling their hardware to other people to use. A Apple console ? Perhaps but probably not.

AMD doesn't have to worry about their console lock in... they should have the gen after this one locked down as well. However I wouldn't be so sure it goes x86..... AMD has been known to have ARM leanings as well. They went as far as designing a ARM based sister chip to Ryzen one. They just decided they needed to focus at the point they where at which was a wise business decision. In the future though... if Apple ARM really is selling and MS is scrambling to get windows ARM off the ground. I don't think its insane to see AMD and MS working together on a Ryzen ARM chip for both windows machines... and the next next gen console.
Apple TV is basically a console, and it does work with a number of different wireless controllers, hell the official Apple accessories site sells PS4 Dual Shock wireless controllers to work with it for using in the Apple Arcade.

Next gen Apple TV with something like this and a couple of wireless game pads could be a real possibility for a gaming platform though.

Next gen Apple TV with something like this and a couple of wireless game pads could be a real possibility for a gaming platform though.

Honestly, that's just wishful thinking. MS already tried the all in one media/console device with the XB1 and it didn't fly as both, and they were even playing off of their console "success" with the OG Xbox and XB360. No amount of Apple magic is going to move people off of Nintendo, Sony, and Xbox without killer 1st party games. At this point, the only way into that market is to buy game studios (see also MS acquisition of Bethesda's parent company) and produce killer 1st party games for your "console."

It could work as a streaming platform though as in a GeForce Now, Stadia, etc. client. But that comes with all the pros and cons of a streaming platform.

Sure. Like I said, possibility.

the current consoles still end up being used as media devices for streaming services, so Apple beefing up the gaming chops on Apple TV just means it’s more likely to be a good experience. And something already on iOS could be popular enough for other developers to take note.

genshin impact is real popular right now, for instance. That might play real nice on an appletv with M1 or whatever in it.

you’re right though, big titles would be needed to make it a contender against Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo.

What will come first, the death of x86 or the year of Linux desktop?

From AT review, that luckily for us tested the R7-4800U:
Wake me up when actual real life workloads testing is available.

Death of x86, Canonical came really close to realizing the dream of the Linux Desktop, then the Linux community fearing a mainstream option revolted fractured the support base and forked everything they could. Starting the cycle all over again, Linix’s greatest strength is its greatest weakness.

Meeho are you ignoring the real life Logic Pro workload that was posted recently? Is there a different real life workload you’d like to see?

It’s a video, apologies in advance if those annoy you as much as they do me. But worth checking for an actual real world use.

there’s also a written article here though it’s extremely short and light in substance / detail.

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/production-expert-1/macbook-pro-m1-audio-power-test-logic-pro

Early real life tests are showing some pretty noticeable improvements.

Thank you for the link. Yeah, the video was hard to watch, thankfully the article provided some info. The comments are not in line with their results, so I don't know what to conclude. We need more and controlled real life tests

This. Microsoft moves at a glacial pace. We all know this. They'll take half a decade to get an API defined, refined and published if a competitor hasn't pushed them up against a wall and created some urgency. Then, the ecosystem will take another two years to adopt it. We have seen this play out over and over again. Now they are up against a company that can iterate on the silicon and OS far more quickly, and whose silicon and OS roadmaps are certainly extremely well coordinated. It's Microsoft that has to respond with speed from here on out otherwise I expect we'll see a steady loss of x86 consumer marketshare.

Unfortunately AMD and Intel can't do a lot to counter this competition since at the end of the day they are at best a Tier1/Tier2 supplier to the actual computing experience we all know and love.

This. Microsoft moves at a glacial pace. We all know this. They'll take half a decade to get an API defined, refined and published if a competitor hasn't pushed them up against a wall and created some urgency. Then, the ecosystem will take another two years to adopt it. We have seen this play out over and over again. Now they are up against a company that can iterate on the silicon and OS far more quickly, and whose silicon and OS roadmaps are certainly extremely well coordinated. It's Microsoft that has to respond with speed from here on out otherwise I expect we'll see a steady loss of x86 consumer marketshare.

Unfortunately AMD and Intel can't do a lot to counter this competition since at the end of the day they are at best a Tier1/Tier2 supplier to the actual computing experience we all know and love.
Microsoft tries but when they do they end up with crap like the Surface Go. Which is very Apple like but very un Microsoft like, and ultimately flops. Apple has spent the past decade and change closely integrating their systems into a very tight bubble. Microsoft is trying to do this with their cloud features and does pretty well with it in their Xbox environment but the open nature of Windows makes it near impossible for Microsoft to play at Apples game in any way. Apples success is great but sadly I fear it will lead to the demise of the more open platforms as they struggle to keep up and maintain a profit margin.

Industry observers already wrote a few months ago that if Apple silicon turns out to be materially better than what x86 vendors offer, then that will be the end of Wintel (at least in the PC market).
https://mondaynote.com/apple-silicon-the-passing-of-wintel-79a5ef66ad2b

So my prediction is x86 will be phased out, beginning with portable devices.
About the Linux desktop, I think Chrome OS is already there but the Linux community didn't realize. Microsoft however did take note and that is why we have Windows 10 S.

I’m interested, why?
This is their first desktop CPU, they'll probably make significant changes in later versions.
Also the OS is bound to improve it's interaction with the new processor.

Chances are the new Mac mini will be just fine. And if you need one I wouldn't hesitate to get one.

This is their first desktop CPU, they'll probably make significant changes in later versions.
Also the OS is bound to improve it's interaction with the new processor.

Chances are the new Mac mini will be just fine. And if you need one I wouldn't hesitate to get one.
I get the concept, I was wondering if you had heard a juicy rumor about the core revision Apple planned for their major CPU.

My plan is to use it as a dev and media device, it will most likely be upgraded yearly or every other year anyways.

pc mag has handbrake beta 1.40 benches (which are apparently M1 native?)

Capture.PNG

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/apple-macbook-air-m1-late-2020

Seems pretty good

They say it's a 12 core but it's only got 8 or 4 usable cores. You can't use all 12 at once.

Back