I don't like how the ADS anitmation isn't really aiming down sights, it's more like halfway between ADS and hip fire

My only hangup is third person. Never feels right to me. I'm playing Warframe right now and it doesn't feel right as a shooter.
I have no problem with third person in games, but in a cramped space like this, I agree it's not the best choice.
Here are my observations of the video:

• The graphics looks good, no problems there.
  • The shooting is hard to judge when someone else is playing.
  • The hud seems a bit overbearing to me, too much highlights and on screen stuff, if it can be turned down good
  • The animations feel extremely janky, especially after playing something like The Last of Us II, I instinctively compare everything to that. And it will be a long ass fucking time before anything lives up to that standard.
  • Dynamic missions: makes no sense to me that the game would change missions based on what the player does. That's the very definition of tailoring the environment to the player which is a big no-no. It can also lead to huge confusion when different players have different experiences and both think the other one is stupid online.
  • You cannot play solo: This might or might not be a problem. If the AI team is as unobtrusive as in Ghost Recon Wildlands, then it's OK. If they run around like crazed rats bumping into you get in your line of fire, obviously that's no good.
  • The game is an ARPG, which is also a two edged sword. It can be terrible like the division or can be good as well.

It looks like they're taking some cues from Alien Swarm, which is great, because that was one of the best homages to Aliens and a great proof-of-concept game. It's a shame it never took off on its own but if the stuff they did inspires these guys, then it will have been worth it.

I hope they make the flame effects more realistic. Kinda looks TF2-ish.

I mean, I'm still buying it. Yeesh.

Aw man, I just found out it's limited to only 3 man. I usually run with a 4 man crew. Doh!

I'm really on the fence with this one. I love the Alien universe. But the third person camera mixed with narrow corridor's is a major turn off, I can see myself getting annoyed pretty quick with the camera.

Yeah, after watching that gameplay video, its too frantic for 3rd person. I can see it being more of a clusterfuck than it needs to be in higher difficulty. Hard Pass.

A third person game with a first person option would have been perfect. That way all the Zoomers can drool over the way their character looks and people who want to play the game can do it with precision.

Last edited:
You are all wayyyyyyyy too optimistic, disappointment 2020 will continue for the next year and this game will clearly be pushed back to 2022

What are "random challenge cards"?

Also, the mentions of multi-year "season passes" is a turn-off. This isn't even a PvP game...

$40 is a decent price point but I suspect there is going to be other predatory monetization in there somewhere. We'll see.

Aliens: Fireteam Elite is Left 4 Dead with xenomorphs and more fun than I expected

hands-on with an early build of the next big Alien game...as a co-op shooter it doesn't do anything particularly innovative, but the Alien themed levels, snappy combat, and large swarms of xenos might be enough for me to look past its lack of imagination and just enjoy blowing up some aliens...

https://www.pcgamer.com/aliens-fire...with-xenomorphs-and-more-fun-than-i-expected/

Aliens: Fireteam Elite is actually very fun

Aliens: Fireteam Elite is a video game that is coming out soon, and it is...actually alright? Not bad? Maybe even quite good?! The question marks are question marks of surprise, obviously, because the whole Alien and Predator double-franchise (and maybe also its 80s-action-close-cousin Terminator, too) doesn't have the best record as far as game adaptations go. Or some of the films, for that matter

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-07-21-aliens-fireteam-elite-is-actually-very-fun

Gameplay looks fun so far. I need a decent Aliens game...doesnt have to be great, just doesnt have to be terrible.

I havent preordered a game in years, but ill go for this one.

BTW, the more expensive edition, including its "season passes" are all cosmetic. Base game gets full gameplay content.

At our Walmart here in WI the have a old Aliens Arcade style game that has Borderlands 1 graphics a guy from cap team 2 had the high score for like 2 years the two other people beat him like a 2 years ago. Thinking of putting in a 20.00 and put my name in 1st place. The game is on a large lcd with 60hz motion blur. The game is surrounded by a half dozen crane machines with animals toys and candy. I sweep it out twice a week sometimes mop it.

Just remaster AvP 2 already and call it a day.
Remastering a 20+ year old game will just look like shit. We've seen this with the Quake remaster. It's still a 25 year old game with primitive, low polycount models. The environments have no geometry compared to modern games. Graphics aren't everything, but gameplay and visuals both being dated would be a problem. Remaking the game with modern engines and technology is also problematic because changing too much can cause it to miss the mark of what made the original so good. On the other hand, not changing enough or modernizing the game enough will show its age.

How is it that these powerhouse franchises continue to inspire nothing more than mediocre at best games?
Companies in general don't understand the license they're trying to monetize, or why people love it so much. Then they try to appeal to a broader audience outside the fan base to make more potential money, which is always a huge mistake. This doesn't look bad, though, but I think the player base isn't going to be great after a week.

Companies in general don't understand the license they're trying to monetize, or why people love it so much. Then they try to appeal to a broader audience outside the fan base to make more potential money, which is always a huge mistake. This doesn't look bad, though, but I think the player base isn't going to be great after a week.
Occasionally there are diamonds in the rough. Alien Isolation in this same franchise is one, and another would be Terminator: Resistance. But yeah, generally speaking it comes down to the people producing, publishing and/or developing a big franchise game just not understanding the elements that made it so popular in the first place.

but yeah, appears this game was every bit as mediocre as the very first preview footage indicated it would be.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Do we know at this point if you can solo the campaign? Any point to buy if you plan to play by yourself?

How is it that these powerhouse franchises continue to inspire nothing more than mediocre at best games?

I don't get it either...the Alien franchise should make for an easy transition to a great game...everything is already there as far as the creature design, mythology etc...outside of Alien Isolation and AvP 2010 the video games have been very underwhelming

I tried getting the top score on the Aliens Armageddon Game at work on lunch break stuck 10.00 in the machine finished the game in like 35 minutes but didn't even place in the top 12. What you need to do if you want a High score is play 2-player and get everything blown away on the screen otherwise you miss stuff due to the ammount of targets on the screen plus you need to do lots of kill streaks. I had a 40+ kill stream with a flame thrower the weapons pop up during the game.

I tried getting the top score on the Aliens Armageddon Game at work on lunch break stuck 10.00 in the machine finished the game in like 35 minutes but didn't even place in the top 12. What you need to do if you want a High score is play 2-player and get everything blown away on the screen otherwise you miss stuff due to the ammount of targets on the screen plus you need to do lots of kill streaks. I had a 40+ kill stream with a flame thrower the weapons pop up during the game.

That game is actually pretty good, but it would be even better if it were translated to a full off-rails campaign for the home.

Didn't have a chance to play it last night, but figured I'd give it a go. I'll have 2 hours to decide if I want a refund.

I'll be honest Played through the Story with 2 rando's last night and beat it in I don't know 6 hours of play on Normal Diff. Its mindless stupid fun. Unlocked Horde mode all the real difs. For something to blow away 1-2 months on till the next game comes out 40 bucks is worth it to me. Its a nice change of pace from Hunt.

Back