Aion Beta

No, its for closed beta, but even if the client downloaded tonight or tomorrow or the day after, you can't play till July 17th, sorry if I confused you.

You have access to closed beta, I was under the impression you were wanting to play almost right this instant.

Well, I would like to play this instant, lol. Do you happen to know if this can be used for Open Beta too, or is everyone going to have to apply for the Open?

I can say without a doubt, while this game does have some Lineage heritage, it plays nothing like it with regard to leveling being a grind.

It's not even close. NCSoft is really pulling all the stops out for this one, and it truly shows.

When you are outleveling quests and emptying your log, you know NCSoft took the Lineage grind machine and dumped it in the toilet.

I went in thinking I was about to beta another Korean grinder. I came out preordering. It's really that simple, and judging by what I've seen, this truly is a MMO that has the stuff to not only take WoW subs, but hold them.

Barring a major misstep by NCSoft, AION has the potential to be the subscription based game since WoW to make a mark.

Well, I would like to play this instant, lol. Do you happen to know if this can be used for Open Beta too, or is everyone going to have to apply for the Open?

Open Beta is well.. open to everyone. Closed beta requires either a pre-order key, event key or invitation based upon a beta application. No one really has to "apply" for open beta as everyone will be able to play.

The earliest you'll be able to play is July 17th, per the closed beta schedule. Don't worry, it's only a week away ;)

If you're curious about how the game works, hit up AionSource.com's forums, it's been really helpful in figuring out the game.

I can say without a doubt, while this game does have some Lineage heritage, it plays nothing like it with regard to leveling being a grind.

It's not even close. NCSoft is really pulling all the stops out for this one, and it truly shows.

When you are outleveling quests and emptying your log, you know NCSoft took the Lineage grind machine and dumped it in the toilet.

I went in thinking I was about to beta another Korean grinder. I came out preordering. It's really that simple, and judging by what I've seen, this truly is a MMO that has the stuff to not only take WoW subs, but hold them.

Barring a major misstep by NCSoft, AION has the potential to be the subscription based game since WoW to make a mark.

Agreed. I'm perfectly content with what I've seen in the 1-25 range, I just need to hear more about what NCSoft has planned for 30-50 and end game, and I'd be sold.

It's sad for people to immediately judge it based upon its graphical similarities to Lineage II and immediately think its pure grind grind grind. Do a little research.

I haven't paid much attention to this game but I did place a pre-order for the CE on Amazon. How do we retrieve our beta access or has that offer expired? Also, how will the extra week head-start be handled? I figured it would show up under the Media Downloads section like with WAR but it's not there; nor did I receive anything via e-mail.

I haven't paid much attention to this game but I did place a pre-order for the CE on Amazon. How do we retrieve our beta access or has that offer expired? Also, how will the extra week head-start be handled? I figured it would show up under the Media Downloads section like with WAR but it's not there; nor did I receive anything via e-mail.

Amazon Pre-order beta codes

It's not an extra week for headstart. Regardless of whether you have CE or regular edition, if you pre-ordered, you'll get 2 days of headstart. Europe is a little different, iirc. I heard they're longer but I imagine they'll be playing on EU servers anyway, not on NA servers?.

Hope that helps.

Gaiden do you have a char around lvl 8. I was starting a glad might need someone to lvl with next week

Gaiden do you have a char around lvl 8. I was starting a glad might need someone to lvl with next week

What server/race are you on?

All 3 of my characters are on Siel, my 16 sorc and 11 templar are on Elyos, and my 12 assassin is on asmodian.

I'll be mostly playing my sorc to try and get into the Abyss though, so I can provide feedback. If you're on my server though, I can def. help.

I made an Asmodian Chanter on Siel last weekend. Got to level 12, her name is Boxxi.

If you want a class that can 1v1 pretty much everyone, roll a Chanter. I could outmana every single person I dueled eventually doing nothing but winning the mana war. I hate to compare it directly to WoW, but I have a priest named Boxxi in wow, and it's very similar in the sense that Disc priests are some of the most durable things you can come against in PvP, but we can be VERY aggressive at the same time. As a chanter, you take little damage, have a chainable heal, some amazing buffs and some decent melee AND ranged attacks. The only thing I do not like is that the hots in this game seem very week, almost to the point that they are not even worth casting. The one hot that I have on my chanter heals for 22hp IIRC, and considering at my level I had about 1500hp...

But more onto the mana issue, I didn't even know about rest until I was about to ding level 10, because as a chanter, I could literally go non-stop the entire level, and when I was starting to get to about 15-30% mana, I would level up and get full HP and mana. It just wasn't an issue at all, and then one of my wow buddies got on his sorc and we leveled together and he had to rest every 3-4 mobs while I just kept chugging along like it was nothing.

EDIT: I just want to say that despite what others are saying, I'm still not sure this can be the "wow killer". It's a fun game, there is no doubt about that, but the pve and pvp feel very... different even though they are practically the same as wow. I think the main thing is that pvp just feels downright slower, but I'm hoping that is only because of everyone being lower level. The other potential problem is that WoW has a very established and experienced end game raiding crowd that is constantly growing, and I'm not sure this game can offer the same raiding experience. I know a lot of people aren't nearly as happy with wrath's raids compared to BC, and I am one of them, but Ulduar is still VERY fun when you move past the base encounters and start working on some of the hard modes. It remains to be seen if Aion will have a strong focus on PvE at all, considering their main thing right now PvPvE.

Last edited:
I'm playing Chinese AION on the Azariel server under Region 2 at the moment until the game launches in North America. I plan to play it alongside WAR... I'm really liking what I'm seeing so far. There's a really good thread by a guy who made a few videos of high-end PVP (http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm?thread=240629&bhcp=1) with in-depth advanced PVP questions and answers. He's been extremely informative and helpful. Just mind the English when asking questions, as he is from Korea, but writes plenty well enough :) (his name is kilkil2).

The depth of gear customization and combat feels/appears to be like DAOC from all I have read and asked of people in-game. I'm still a lowbie in the game, but it's not too early to tell the general feel of it at least for mob grinding. Quests are plentiful and the XP grinding is not very demanding. I hear that in the patch the North American version will launch with (1.5) there are tons of quests all the way to the level cap (50) in excess of what you need many times. Lineage 2, this is not.

I'm playing Chinese AION on the Azariel server under Region 2 at the moment until the game launches in North America. I plan to play it alongside WAR... I'm really liking what I'm seeing so far. There's a really good thread by a guy who made a few videos of high-end PVP (http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm?thread=240629&bhcp=1) with in-depth advanced PVP questions and answers. He's been extremely informative and helpful. Just mind the English when asking questions, as he is from Korea, but writes plenty well enough :) (his name is kilkil2).

The depth of gear customization and combat feels/appears to be like DAOC from all I have read and asked of people in-game. I'm still a lowbie in the game, but it's not too early to tell the general feel of it at least for mob grinding. Quests are plentiful and the XP grinding is not very demanding. I hear that in the patch the North American version will launch with (1.5) there are tons of quests all the way to the level cap (50) in excess of what you need many times. Lineage 2, this is not.

I thought that was you from AionSource, but I wasn't sure.

I recently started playing on the same server in order to tide me over until the US release. I have a lv 13 Chanter.. just finished making my own set of steel chainmail armor. Looks really sweet.

EDIT: I just want to say that despite what others are saying, I'm still not sure this can be the "wow killer". It's a fun game, there is no doubt about that, but the pve and pvp feel very... different even though they are practically the same as wow. I think the main thing is that pvp just feels downright slower, but I'm hoping that is only because of everyone being lower level. The other potential problem is that WoW has a very established and experienced end game raiding crowd that is constantly growing, and I'm not sure this game can offer the same raiding experience. I know a lot of people aren't nearly as happy with wrath's raids compared to BC, and I am one of them, but Ulduar is still VERY fun when you move past the base encounters and start working on some of the hard modes. It remains to be seen if Aion will have a strong focus on PvE at all, considering their main thing right now PvPvE.

I want to make it clear, I don't think the game will be a "WoW" killer. The only thing that can kill WoW is Blizzard. Truly.

However, I think AION will be the first game in the post WoW landscape to actually take some subs from them, a significant amount, and hold them.

The timing is right, WoW is getting really long in the tooth, and I think alot of gamers, even from WoW are looking for something new.

The only game on the horizon that has the opportunity to really do something is TOR. But, I doubt we see that before 2011.

A good friend and I are really looking forward to this game. We have been pretty much off and on from World of Warcraft for the past few years, and we discussed how something new is definitely in store for us.

I think it's getting to the point where World of Warcraft feels like a giant rush game. 2 shotting mobs on pretty much any class isn't out of the question in that game and flying through dailies and elite dailies are way too easy. I think Aion is going to bring back what a lot of us people that enjoy MMO's, more grouping and crafting is ACTUALLY going to be useful! I have good hopes for this game and I hope it holds my subscription. Pre-ordering this game as soon as I get $46 burning a hole in my pocket.

From my research the game looks in good shape, but is lacking a few things that would be fairly important pre-launch if possible:

1) Death penalties are too harsh at high Abyss Point ranks (20+ kills lost for a single death!).

2) Ressurrection brings you to where you died, not to the rezzer, leaving you in danger, while debuffing your stats, snaring you, and leaving you at low health to die again in a flash.

3) There's no reward for healing ala WAR/WOW/DAOC. You're better off to just damage an enemy if you're after points, rather than heal an ally.

4) Bag space? I don't know if it expands later, but it seems small so far at 27 slots.

5) Ignore feature: it seems to not work on some people, but does on others. I'm not really sure why.

6) No dual targeting: you can't have a target to heal and one to attack without switching back and forth.

7) Forced grouping for some required questlines to advance your character (such as picking your final class).

Last edited:
A good friend and I are really looking forward to this game. We have been pretty much off and on from World of Warcraft for the past few years, and we discussed how something new is definitely in store for us.

I think it's getting to the point where World of Warcraft feels like a giant rush game. 2 shotting mobs on pretty much any class isn't out of the question in that game and flying through dailies and elite dailies are way too easy. I think Aion is going to bring back what a lot of us people that enjoy MMO's, more grouping and crafting is ACTUALLY going to be useful! I have good hopes for this game and I hope it holds my subscription. Pre-ordering this game as soon as I get $46 burning a hole in my pocket.

I personally never liked the MMOs that forced grouping and utterly discouraged solo play. WoW shifted the balance away from the grouping aspect. In my opinion, it is the heavy-duty grouping and tediousness of the old guard MMOs that drew in the really rabid fans while alienating the others. It drew in, as Yahtzee describes them, "the nerds who are to nerds what nerds are to normal people."

I personally never liked the MMOs that forced grouping and utterly discouraged solo play. WoW shifted the balance away from the grouping aspect. In my opinion, it is the heavy-duty grouping and tediousness of the old guard MMOs that drew in the really rabid fans while alienating the others. It drew in, as Yahtzee describes them, "the nerds who are to nerds what nerds are to normal people."

It doesn't discourage solo play, it just brings back MORE grouping. From what I've read you can solo all the way to fifty if you wanted to but you would have to drop some of the quests that are utterly impossible to solo. What's the point of jumping into an MMO if you want to solo everything? Then it's just a glorified chat room.

What do you mean?

You know how if you target an ally in WAR or other games, and then click an enemy, it doesn't make it so you lose the ally from your target pane, but instead selects them both? Then healing/beneficial spells go to your defensive target, while damaging/offensive ones go to your offensive target? That's what dual-targeting is... otherwise say you're fighting an enemy, you would have to click the enemy, attack, then click your ally, heal, then click the same enemy again to continune attacking, ad nauseum.

It doesn't discourage solo play, it just brings back MORE grouping. From what I've read you can solo all the way to fifty if you wanted to but you would have to drop some of the quests that are utterly impossible to solo. What's the point of jumping into an MMO if you want to solo everything? Then it's just a glorified chat room.

Because trying to get competent groups to do a questline that requires forced grouping is an effort in futility in most games. Some of us don't play 12 hours a day and when you only have 2 maybe 4 hours a day if that to play being forced to group to do things to advance your character...well it just sucks,

The name in korean is pronounced:
Ah - eee - on, "ah" as in ah!, "eee" as in the letter e, and "on" as in "poissON". I think it sounds retarded, so I just call it a-on.

QFT. I pronounce it that way too... "aeon" as in a time period, "A, on".

You know how if you target an ally in WAR or other games, and then click an enemy, it doesn't make it so you lose the ally from your target pane, but instead selects them both? Then healing/beneficial spells go to your defensive target, while damaging/offensive ones go to your offensive target? That's what dual-targeting is... otherwise say you're fighting an enemy, you would have to click the enemy, attack, then click your ally, heal, then click the same enemy again to continune attacking, ad nauseum.

Now, if you are playing say a cleric and you are targetting some mob you use your weak spells and such. Do you have to click yourself to heal yourself? If so that's kind of gay.

From my research the game looks in good shape, but is lacking a few things that would be fairly important pre-launch if possible:

1) Death penalties are too harsh at high Abyss Point ranks (20+ kills lost for a single death!).

That's pretty bad, I agree. Maintaining a 1:1 KD can be a challenge at times. The way its setup, seems like the major guilds/gank groups will be the highest Abyss rank. Also as you mentioned earlier though, they wont get higher due to diminishing AP gain dependent on enemies' rank.

2) Ressurrection brings you to where you died, not to the rezzer, leaving you in danger, while debuffing your stats, snaring you, and leaving you at low health to die again in a flash.

Agreed.

3) There's no reward for healing ala WAR/WOW/DAOC. You're better off to just damage an enemy if you're after points, rather than heal an ally.

Interesting, though all conjecture at this point won't you say? You're relying on information given from AionSource, which may not or may be true. I'd wait for the actual CB period for the Abyss and test the #'s yourself. If you're Siel and Asmodian, and need an Elyos to test #'s with, let me know.

4) Bag space? I don't know if it expands later, but it seems small so far at 27 slots.

It does. Talk to a cube artisan, you can expand your cube even at lvl 4-5 for 1000 kinah. You get 9 more slots and probably more as time goes on.

5) Ignore feature: it seems to not work on some people, but does on others. I'm not really sure why.

Never noticed it.

6) No dual targeting: you can't have a target to heal and one to attack without switching back and forth.

Agreed, it worked well in WAR, especially if you're a healer class.

7) Forced grouping for some required questlines to advance your character (such as picking your final class).

I really don't mind. I guess it's just perspective. I play an MMO to group/roll with a legion, so its a non-issue for me. If anything, it'll bring people together rather than solo questing/grinding a Massively Multiplayer Online game.

--^

Now, if you are playing say a cleric and you are targetting some mob you use your weak spells and such. Do you have to click yourself to heal yourself? If so that's kind of gay.

Yes, or a groupmate. You can click to heal yourself in one shot if it's a mob targeted, but then you have to re-target the mob to use any offensive skill again.

Yeah, even at max pack space though it's only around 70 slots for everything including crafting and quest items from what I'm told.

I'm playing Chinese Aion at the moment with the English patch... I asked a couple of high-level English-speakers in the game and they told me that there is no direct reward for healing people. So, that's where I'm basing my info off on (by the way, those AionSource forums are really bad... it's worse than the VN Boards of old in terms of flames and volatility + trolls + rudeness!). The rest is conjecture, of course... just my opinion of what will happen based on past games.

I'm more of a solo player even though I belong to a large guild that has spanned across several MMO's since UO... I just prefer the option :).

Yeah, AionSource is a bit of a cesspool.

I try to avoid opinion threads because I don't like reading flames.. seeing that stuff makes me feel stupid.

I don't know if its just me, but the game is feeling a bit more grindy around lv 18.. there are quests, but most of the campaign quests at this level are too difficult to solo without considerable trouble.

My other complaint is that it takes too long to get refining stones to make armor and weapons. I prefer to create my own armor, but the drop rate on these things is kinda bad. I know that a lot of these problems are taken care of in the later content patches, but china is still on 1.0 for now. I really hope the U.S. manages to launch with 1.5.

I don't know if its just me, but the game is feeling a bit more grindy around lv 18.. there are quests, but most of the campaign quests at this level are too difficult to solo without considerable trouble.

My other complaint is that it takes too long to get refining stones to make armor and weapons. I prefer to create my own armor, but the drop rate on these things is kinda bad. I know that a lot of these problems are taken care of in the later content patches, but china is still on 1.0 for now. I really hope the U.S. manages to launch with 1.5.

1.5 purportedly doesn't address much but adding some endgame instances :(...

Yeah, AionSource is a bit of a cesspool.

I try to avoid opinion threads because I don't like reading flames.. seeing that stuff makes me feel stupid.

More than a bit hehe, I feel like I'm losing brain cells every post I read there :p.

Like the WoW forums?

Worse. There's a thread with hundreds of posts that has not been closed, comparing nazi Germany to people who criticize Aion there and the game's lore. There's another with a moderator in a group that has a promotion picture of clubbing baby seals with a bloody, dead baby seal in the photo. Yet another thread there talks about whether people prefer boxers or briefs (in the gameplay section, mind you) with gross childish sex slurs. NONE of these have been moderated at all and continue to run actively, all in the "General Gameplay" section. Frankly, the community of this game worries me... even WAR didn't have people this stupid on the fansites pre-launch, let alone a permeating attitude of such disgusting idiocy.

Last edited:
Worse. There's a thread with hundreds of posts that has not been closed, comparing nazi Germany to people who criticize Aion there and the game's lore. There's another with a moderator in a group that has a promotion picture of clubbing baby seals with a bloody, dead baby seal in the photo. Yet another thread there talks about whether people prefer boxers or briefs (in the gameplay section, mind you) with gross childish sex slurs. NONE of these have been moderated at all and continue to run actively, all in the "General Gameplay" section. Frankly, the community of this game worries me... even WAR didn't have people this stupid on the fansites pre-launch, let alone a permeating attitude of such disgusting idiocy.

Sounds like a moderation issue. If people can get away with stuff they will.

Yeah, that sounds terrible, although I've seen it many a time in the WoW forums back when I played especially early on in the game.

Seriously it's always MMO boards, IMDB, Gamefaqs that have the absolute worst communities some times, oh and I can't forget steam forum either. :D

1.5 purportedly doesn't address much but adding some endgame instances :(...

More than a bit hehe, I feel like I'm losing brain cells every post I read there :p.

They are adding over 100 new quests, 12 dungeons, more character customization and are increasing the experience given from killing monsters.

Leveling in general should be faster, and less grindy from what I've read on Aion Source. Keep in mind that we're not just getting 1.5.. but 1.1 and 1.2 as well.

I found a group last night to do the Krall quests.. it was fun and someone told me how to find the refining stones on the AH.. apparently the search is case sensitive.. so I was finally able to find and buy the stones I needed to make my armor. Cost me around 40k, but it isn't hard to make that back.

Oh no, death actually has a meaning in a MMO.

Use... a Kisk? You can respawn in relative safety without a debuff.

Abyss points are shared equally in a party?

Talk to a Cube manager, it goes up to 100 slots.

Never bothered trying this feature.

That's a matter of preference, while you do not like the lack of dual targeting, I enjoy the challenge. It's a matter of taste.

Uh, I soloed all of my ascension and class change quests, they aren't exactly very hard to do at level 9 or 10.

No offense, but if you're the same GoldenTiger that's posting at Aion Source, I can easily why you don't enjoy the community. While I do agree with you the AS community isn't the best, your bests aren't of the best quality either.

Healing spells will automatically target yourself even if you have a mob selected. Target members are bound to the F1-5 keys by default, so pressing one of these keys will take you the desired party member you wish to heal.

No offense, but if you're the same GoldenTiger that's posting at Aion Source, I can easily why you don't enjoy the community. While I do agree with you the AS community isn't the best, your bests aren't of the best quality either.

Good info in your post... thanks :).

Yes, I am the same GoldenTiger that recently registered on AionSource. My initial questions were basics but greeted by insults and vulgarity... when I learned more about the game and began asking questions as well as saying that certain mechanics might cause people not to want to play (including me), I was given 99% "LOL U SUCK" and "LOL TROLL" responses. So, I responded in kind... you can't really argue with idiots.

Anyway, if you want to discuss more specific things regarding that, please PM me... I don't want to drag stupidity over there to a better forum such as this that I have frequented for ages (my original account was made sometime in 2000, lost it in the forum purge because I didn't post a couple of months in 2004, and remade it then). I'll readily admit I probably made the mistake of caring too much about what trolls said and then responding more rashly than I normally would, though ;).

Just want to clarify something, I've read through a smattering of stuff in this thread. What's the final word on Open beta? Is it open to everyone? And does it begin the 17th?

And......how big would you guess the client is and will they let you pre-get it so you aren't downloading for 3-4 days after it's already began?

And...any other useful info. I'd like to give it a shot, but lot of the MMOs just aren't impressing me anymore...week or two of play is all I can muster anymore but I keep looking for something that fits. Just not willing to foot the initial costs until I get a good week of play time in on a game anymore.

Just want to clarify something, I've read through a smattering of stuff in this thread. What's the final word on Open beta? Is it open to everyone? And does it begin the 17th?

And......how big would you guess the client is and will they let you pre-get it so you aren't downloading for 3-4 days after it's already began?

And...any other useful info. I'd like to give it a shot, but lot of the MMOs just aren't impressing me anymore...week or two of play is all I can muster anymore but I keep looking for something that fits. Just not willing to foot the initial costs until I get a good week of play time in on a game anymore.

The beta on the 17th is a closed beta for pre-orders only. Open beta (only for pre-orders I think even then) is sometime in late August, I think. The client took about a 6gb download for me when I got the NA beta one, and 7+gb for the Chinese one that I am playing on at the moment.

I already preordered Aion from Amazon but are there any hardcore MMO players that play in the beta that can reccommend the game to a primary solo player? I don't have any friends that play MMO games so I would be playing mostly by myself. Also how easy would it be to group up with other players?

I already preordered Aion from Amazon but are there any hardcore MMO players that play in the beta that can reccommend the game to a primary solo player? I don't have any friends that play MMO games so I would be playing mostly by myself.

I get the feeling that the game isn't too solo-friendly even while leveling in some parts (I'm told (if I'm wrong, someone feel free to correct me) that many quests require groups). I have no idea whether the PVP is solo-friendly or not, but everyone constantly talks about being in a group for it so it may not be like DAOC or WAR where you can go out solo and still have a good time, killing other solo'ers and chipping at stragglers of the zerg. It really depends a lot on the landscape of the PVP areas, I'd think.

I was afraid of that. I'm really interested in Aion because it does look like the best MMO to play until TOR. How easy is it to group up with other random players? I'm not that concerned about PvP right now.

Back