Advert on the side of the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
thewhiteguy said:
I will accept the new ad if users are forced to add their folding stats to their signatures where I don't have to see them.
not a bad idea... those FAH stats bother me sometimes.. especially when i try to quote people. :(

Smith said:
Firefox adblock easily removes any and all ads on the entire HardOCP site with a few clicks ;).

And I can easily remove your posting privileges with even fewer clicks. Bye bye.

I don't mind the ad much at all, but the placement is very annoying as everyone has said, at low resolutions there isn't much viewing area for the content. If the margins were lowered as mentioned before, or make the ad horizontal somewhere, that would be great.

(cf)Eclipse said:
not a bad idea... those FAH stats bother me sometimes.. especially when i try to quote people. :(

Deal with it. Our folders here are numero uno, in more ways than one.

LadyMakoFox said:
Could you ask Monarch to design a new ad though, or something.. It looks pretty low quality esp compared to the newegg one. I personaly don't care about ad's like I said before but damn its just soo fugly...

Or my long lost and never seen idea of making the newegg and monarch ads the same size and making them both horizontal like the newegg and and having them perfectly side by side centered to the middle of the page at the top......... :mad:

I just had an idea, if you fold 3 GHz or above you can make it so when you log in you dont see ads :D

LadyMakoFox said:
Could you ask Monarch to design a new ad though, or something.. It looks pretty low quality esp compared to the newegg one. I personaly don't care about ad's like I said before but damn its just soo fugly...

I would suggest that if you feel so strongly about it, you ask them yourself.

best [486] said:
I just had an idea, if you fold 3 GHz or above you can make it so when you log in you dont see ads :D

then the ads are pointless..

the ads even though are paid for provides us a service, to tell us when there is a good deal or just a reminder to upgrade... I think to offset the cost of bandwidth i think we should just smile and be happy... even if you are a lifetime [H] member or not it is a privilege to come and be a part of this community... just like the person that was just banned not showing that appreciation... this isn't a publicly traded company it is owned by one or a few people that can do whatever they want... I don't see Kyle telling you what should be on your blog or not...

Megadeth_Guy01 said:
Or my long lost and never seen idea of making the newegg and monarch ads the same size and making them both horizontal like the newegg and and having them perfectly side by side centered to the middle of the page at the top......... :mad:
That would expand beyond my screen size when I view hardforum too. But it wouldn't make the forums look any worse then currently.

I'm glad to see some forums avoid the need for ad revenue like Overclockers Australia.
Ad's are a tough subject, much like outsourcing tech support jobs to other countries. Does the initial help to the bottom line ideaology apply to the long term, or do you loose more customers's (and thus customer revenue) then the short term profit. Delaying the inevitable... so to speak.

Monarch computer is a nice website, but boy......... with the ad placement that was choosen, they are getting a bad rep around here. Perhapse not the welcome they had anticipated... who knows.

Anyways, this thread is getting a little redundent. What would I guestimate... 150 people saying roughly the same thing? Kyle and all his workers get the idea. Now its their move.

(cf)Eclipse said:
i have no problem with the ad itself.. if anything, i really support [H]. i've become too involved here to be any other way. it's just the poor location that makes me ill
exactly. eclipse you nailed it. its not that there is an ad. its not that kyle makes too much. its not that we feel like this site should be ad free.

its a shitty location. thats it. if it were on the top or bottom, this thread would have been 1 page long.

from a few posts back but still,

sorry but "reminder to upgrade", oh and i dont have a blog and that was a [hopefully] helpful statement

best [486] said:
from a few posts back but still,

sorry but "reminder to upgrade", oh and i dont have a blog and that was a [hopefully] helpful statement

that was kinda corny i know... i was just making a point that pretty it is up to Kyle to what he wants cuz it is his..

best [486] said:
it'd get a lot of people to fold. :rolleyes:

i agree at the same time let Kyle make some money... folding is awesome no doubt but ad revenue is ad revenue...

I don't mind it at all...

i just wish they will take my suggestion and put one on the top and one at the bottom and switch them up daily or every load. and honestly i think the bottom ad would get more clicks cuz most people scroll directly to the bottom of each thread...

now that i'm viewing at 1280x1024, it isn't as bad. actually looks quite good compared to 1024x768. what would really be cool is if only F@H badges could be shown as images in sigs. oh god, that'd be great. i forget to add my badge sometimes lol

It looks like they're changing the format of the board since the sig is smaller font and text goes under the user name.

They removed location and other things.

hehe, change is afoot at [H]ardForum

I am glad to see that they are actually listening (somewhat) to our concerns and trying to improve readability. Perhaps an official poll with a couple of options given to us where the members can decide which format we like the best?

There you go, now you have more room to post than you did before. Enjoy.

We will tweak the format again after the next major upgrade.

Megadeth_Guy01 said:
wtf at the forums looking f'ed, my location is gone............ i kinda like the small sigs tho

lol my guess is thier tryin a few things

but i was thinkin the same thing lol :p

well, even though it doesn't do anything about the ad, it does give us more content space. It's a little weird, but whatever, at least it's more space

cool, its fixed so i can finally go to bed [damn school :mad: ]
the old way without the ad was better but as long as the site's still up...

Now the margins are different. Although I still am not used to that blank spot after the ad. Been said before, the ads placement is really horrible.

I remember when Genmay first opened back up, Kyle removed the Newegg ad for a bit. Most of us complained that it was gone. Now with this Monarch ad it is quite the oppposite effect. It is negativley impacting the forums.

I thought my computer broke.

This is going to take some getting used to but it seems really bare bones. Just like the [H] website is (comparitively speaking) and why I like it.

Are changes like this (the one done within the least 10 mins) usually that quick? I mean I did not notice any downtime at all. Like I said, I just thought my computer was having problems loading the page.

Wow, sigs are smaller and start more to the left where the user info was, cool.
About the ad is not so bad, muted colors help with the black background.

One problem, let me post a bunch of crap so the line wraps over.

afkj;dlfj;lkjdfkljad;lfkjad;flkajdf;lkajdf;lkjaf;lkjaf;lkajsdf;lkajsdf;lkajsdf;lkajsdf;lkjasdf;lkjasdf ;lkj a;lds fja;ls fj;alsdfj a;lsd fja;sld fjas;ld fja;sld fj;alsdf
lkja

asdfkljasd;lfkja;sldkfj;lkjadf;lkajdf;lkjadf

^^^^^ That, it's like an indentation in a paragraph, really F's my vision up. I think the username/title blocks should all be uniform in size. Also, all the messages shouldn't go to the left of the edge of the username/title box.

I'm kinda liking this, especially the new look of the sigs, but if I could make one suggestion.

Change the position of the User info, make it more like a header on top of the post. Kind of like how the thread title used to look maybe, display all that stuff in the grey box but put it into a single line across the top of the post.

I say he should just fill up the right side with ads and make mucho cash. Could also make the ad against the right side of the browser window, with the forum area stretched completely over the rest of the remaining area... basicly, no black space.

If this forum layout does not fit your needs, feel free to leave your comments and complaints here.

A big thanks to John, our resident VBull Guru. If you have work that you need done, PM John.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back